ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Sounds like NCAAs are competitors and family only

I understand the outrage because the vast majority of us are die hard fans.

But the potential threat is too great to ignore. This is a unique occurrence and you err on the side of caution every time on a deal like this.

I just feel bad for the wrestlers that so often feed off the enthusiasm of the fans. They're the real losers in this situation.

I wasn’t comparing the two. I was comparing the reaction and mentality of Americans over a couple of decades. You might be right. This could be a huge deal when all is said and done, but since the rate of growth of the virus in China is rapidly decreasing I get the feeling it’s overblown but I could be wrong.
Do you think the intense quarantine restrictions the Chinese government placed on its citizens have anything to do with that decrease?

It's being contained in certain places, not because it wasn't that bad to begin with, but because the local authorities and health system reacted with force.

Allowing a gathering of 40k people coming from all over the country is simply not a responsible thing to do with such a contagious virus. It sucks, but we should also be adults about this.

We know it's not, but college sports are bsupposed to be about the student athletes and their Families and not the spectator. So, we don't really have an argument.

So how is allowing family members from every state in the US to travel there, possibly become exposed, and infected, and then travel back to every state in the US, in the best interest of slowing the virus?

Reactions: el dub
So how is allowing family members from every state in the US to travel there, possibly become exposed, and infected, and then travel back to every state in the US, is in the best interest of slowing the virus?
You think business travel is any different? When they shut down all non-essential travel then we can talk.

They will, if infected, still go back and contribute to the continued spread. If it is a real threat, and not just fear mongering, then dont allow the event at all. If not, then dont over react.

BTW, a little touchy are we, tough guy?

actually kind of kidding, but not. Saw husker and jumped on it

Reactions: Husker Hank
Well.... this really sucks, but I get it. This was the first time I was going on the HAWK bus, leaving Iowa city on a package deal. I would hope a refund would be easy. o_O

Reactions: SDHN2013
So I still think a bunch of us should get together and watch.

How about at SPOONER'S place. He's got great internet and probably has lots of Big Sceren TV's in his mancave out in the barn............
images

Do you think the intense quarantine restrictions the Chinese government placed on its citizens have anything to do with that decrease?

It's being contained in certain places, not because it wasn't that bad to begin with, but because the local authorities and health system reacted with force.

Allowing a gathering of 40k people coming from all over the country is simply not a responsible thing to do with such a contagious virus. It sucks, but we should also be adults about this.
Despite the having a centralized police state the Chinese government failed to contain the virus and the opportunity cost forced on citizens by their draconian methods cannot even begin to be measured.

People who are concerned about the disease should should self quarantine at their own expense. I’d rather take my chances.

Reading is fundamental.
I'm definitely not a conspiracy theorist.
If, as you imply, you believe these actions are politically motivated then yes you believe in a conspiracy. Whether you believe it's a conspiracy may be debatable, If so then delusion may be the problem.

Despite the having a centralized police state the Chinese government failed to contain the virus and the opportunity cost forced on citizens by their draconian methods cannot even begin to be measured.

People who are concerned about the disease should should self quarantine at their own expense. I’d rather take my chances.

Defrosting a ribeye for tomorrow from my basement freezer hoard. Stocked up on steak sauce. Figure I can make it a month eating like a king every night before my meat sweats are confused with flu symptoms.

I love hawkeye wrestling as much as anyone but it’s not worth ONE person dying. Doesn’t matter if they’re 100, 1, on their deathbed or not. And if anyone thinks it is your priorities are wrong.
I think we should have the freedom to decide if we want to risk it ourselves. If I risked skydiving or enlisting in the military and I died doing so, that's on me. Death isn't the enemy, it's not living your life the way you choose. Maybe I'm partly arguing with my fiance through you since she's a bit of a hypochondriac and sometimes she misses the moments that are there, but anyway that's how I feel and I like my priorities.

What makes this virus more contagious than any other?

People just accept these things like it is gospel. Brought to us from the same people that said the Ozone was going to be destroyed. New York and Miami would be under water. The north pole would be barren of snow (by 2013). Y2K was going to be a disaster. Hillary could not lose. The ocean would be out of fish in 10 years (25 years ago) and we would run out of oil by 2000.

How many people in the old folks home got the virus? Those places are very close quarters. 21 people on a cruise ship get the virus. Those places are also very confined. It does not seem that contagious to me. No more so than the flu. 11 Million people in Wuhan. How many got the virus? You know it was not caught immediately, so it had plenty of time to spread before it was noticed.

It is irresponsible and in my opinion fear mongering to talk about this the way it has been presented in the media.

I think we should have the freedom to decide if we want to risk it ourselves. If I risked skydiving or enlisting in the military and I died doing so, that's on me. Death isn't the enemy, it's not living your life the way you choose. Maybe I'm partly arguing with my fiance through you since she's a bit of a hypochondriac and sometimes she misses the moments that are there, but anyway that's how I feel and I like my priorities.
I'm not happy at all about prohibiting fans but the reasoning for this is to limit the spread to future people. If 50,000 people go to US Bank and unknowingly catch the virus and then go back to their homes and unknowingly carry the virus and then go to their grocery stores, restaurants, work and inadvertently spread it that way. I'm not saying I agree with the extreme decision (I am actually pretty upset about this). But they aren't just trying to protect the fans who go to the stadium, they are trying to limit the spread in general and protect people who would interact with these fans in the future.

I think the damage is done and I don't know that these measures will do much to stop the spread. It's not like we are all quarantining ourselves in our homes, most of us are still going to work, going to restaurants, taking subway, taking bus, and being among the rest of our society in general. I was really hoping the NCAA wrestling tournament would be able to be held before the public health outcry got too big. Unfortunately I think it was at just the wrong time, if it was last weekend it would be fine, and if it had been a month later, I suspect it would be fine.

What makes this virus more contagious than any other?

People just accept these things like it is gospel. Brought to us from the same people that said the Ozone was going to be destroyed. New York and Miami would be under water. The north pole would be barren of snow (by 2013). Y2K was going to be a disaster. Hillary could not lose. The ocean would be out of fish in 10 years (25 years ago) and we would run out of oil by 2000.

How many people in the old folks home got the virus? Those places are very close quarters. 21 people on a cruise ship get the virus. Those places are also very confined. It does not seem that contagious to me. No more so than the flu. 11 Million people in Wuhan. How many got the virus? You know it was not caught immediately, so it had plenty of time to spread before it was noticed.

It is irresponsible and in my opinion fear mongering to talk about this the way it has been presented in the media.
I don't necessarily disagree with your viewpoint, but The President was just on to discuss it, and likely to dissuade some of the media hysteria, because we know a lot of those folks are nucking futs! But I won't just dismiss it, I'll try to do my part.

Like all virus, take care of the old timers first and foremost.

So I still think a bunch of us should get together and watch.

How about at SPOONER'S place. He's got great internet and probably has lots of Big Screen TV's in his mancave out in the barn............
images

Are you saying BIG NATIONALS PARTY AT SPOONER'S PLACE?

Reactions: SDHN2013
On the bright side this should cut down on the amount of boos an Iowa wrestler gets when the lose. I know, it’s a pretty dim bright side. This sucks for everyone involved. Stupid China and their weird diseases!!! Haha

I understand the outrage because the vast majority of us are die hard fans.

But the potential threat is too great to ignore. This is a unique occurrence and you err on the side of caution every time on a deal like this.

I just feel bad for the wrestlers that so often feed off the enthusiasm of the fans. They're the real losers in this situation.

121,000 people infected and 4,300 deaths. That’s about 3.5%. Yeah that’s not nothing, but I’d take my chances. Just saying.

Reactions: Boomhawk52
I wish this weren’t happening and per my post the other day in the virus thread about some crazy things I’m seeing as a frequent traveler I think it’s a bit much. Given lots of legal experts have indicated potential liability for allowing attendance to these events I don’t even believe it’s about preventing the spread of the virus. It’s simple math. Even with the enormous amount of revenue generated during March Madness...the potential billions in liability pretty much makes the decision easy. Losing a little bit of money is a helluva lot better than losing hundreds of millions in lawsuits and legal fees. There isn’t anyway to prevent this virus from spreading at this point. I flew out and back to CA this week, going to get a haircut tomorrow and feel my risk of exposure is the same. Wouldn’t feel any different at a basketball tourney game or the NCAA wrestling tourney. Heck our nanny’s sister is a RN and she’s even said that basically everyone’s likely going to contract it at some point like any other flu strain. Certainly a concern for elderly and individuals with health issues/challenges, but generally a flu bug that might be a bit nasty like any other flu bug can be. Lots of folks feel differently of course and I certainly respect that as this is just my simple opinion. One thing I am pretty certain on is although there’s some element of concern for public health, the cancellation of these big events is being driven by the potential liability/money.

Oh well, it is what it is, and I was going to have to watch it on tv anyways. It’s just going to be so odd watching my favorite sport on the biggest stage....with basically no fans in attendance. Just doesn’t seem right.

Last edited:
Reactions: evashevsky58
I feel horribly for these athletes. These guys feed off the crowd and their energy and there won't be anyone...
It's going to be a surreal experience for them wrestling in the middle of a massive stadium with no one in the stands. Creepy and far too real.
It will clearly be hardest on our Hawks as they are used to competing in front of huge crowds. Everyone else is fairly used to zero or very little crowd noise

I don't understand the liability angle. So events are also liable for every cold and flu that you pick up from an event?
Well, you know the difference between a Catfish and a Lawyer right? There's your dagger.

There is no vaccine currently, that may enter into the equation from a sue happy society as well. Just throwing it out there.

It will clearly be hardest on our Hawks as they are used to competing in front of huge crowds. Everyone else is fairly used to zero or very little crowd noise
Also concerned. How will the official know when to call stalling on a Hawkeye opponent?

There is a difference in doing something that is risky only to you and being a part of a chain that could have serious consequences on others that aren’t choosing that risk.
Going wouldn’t be about the risk of you getting sick, it would be about who you get sick, who they would get sick etc.

There is a difference in doing something that is risky only to you and being a part of a chain that could have serious consequences on others that aren’t choosing that risk.
Going wouldn’t be about the risk of you getting sick, it would be about who you get sick, who they would get sick etc.
Well said..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT