ADVERTISEMENT

Bull

His first round match was total BS...but after that it is just what is to be expected in a tough bracket IMO. I am very surprised that he will now be wrestling for 7th tomorrow, but this was a brutal bracket. Bummer for Alex, tough way for his otherwise spectacular season to end, win or lose tomorrow.

I'm not a conspiracy guy but it does seem like the draws always seem to limit the 1st and 2nd rd bonus point opportunities for Iowa. That said I was raised on Iowa wrestling in the 80's and 90's. Back then there were no excuses for Iowa wrestlers that underperformed. You just failed and it wasn't accepted. At some point TnT need to figure out how to get these guys to hit their peaks at nationals. The quarters were a sad sight even if most of the guys were underdogs. If Iowa wants to reclaim former glory everyone on the team needs to raise the bar and realize the tradition and dominance that black and gold once represented. There is a reason a down Iowa program still gets booed everywhere we go and its because of that tradition. PSU hasn't even earned that respect yet.

Theres no excuse to lose to anyone other than Cenzo.
This is where I'm at. If Lewis beats Cenzo then I'll concede that he only had one bad loss this tournament. Marsteller was gassed early in the second period and Alex still didn't get it done. Alex's biggest problem is that if you're an elite guy and you get to his leg, you're almost assured a takedown because he's a sub-par scrambler. His head hands need to be flawless if he's in a close match, which they haven't been at times this tournament.

I would also like to remind people that the person who started this thread is a Penn State troll, and his post is tongue and cheek.

Last edited:
We should switch Marinelli's nickname during the ncaa tournament. He's no Bull this weekend. Maybe bullpup. Sad just sad.

I think Ironside hit the nail on the head in saying that Marinelli hasn’t looked himself this whole tournament.

He wasn’t getting in guys’ face, moving laterally, and being brutal with his hands to get guys out of position to take his shots — it was unusual. Who knows why, but Bull will always be the man regardless.

We should switch Marinelli's nickname during the ncaa tournament. He's no Bull this weekend. Maybe bullpup. Sad just sad.
How many NCAA Finals have you competed in? Definitely disappointed how things went for him but I'm not gonna bad mouth a guy that competes at a high level in a sport as demanding as wrestling for probably a partial scholarship.

This is where I'm at. If Lewis beats Cenzo then I'll concede that he only had one bad loss this tournament. Marsteller was gassed early in the second period and Alex still didn't get it done. Alex's biggest problem is that if you're an elite guy and you get to his leg, you're almost assured a takedown because he's a sub-par scrambler. His head hands need to be flawless if he's in a close match, which they haven't been at times this tournament.

I would also like to remind people that the person who started this thread is a Penn State troll, and his post is tongue and cheek.

Martellar seems to play a little possum, act all tired and sand bag to save up for quick bursts. He is every bit as good as the top guys in the class. He was close with Joseph, the cradle loss to Wick a bit of a fluke/bad match up.

Is there video of the match with Massa anywhere? Can’t find it on Flo and looked through twitter for a while. Want to watch the match and obviously the end.

I think Ironside hit the nail on the head in saying that Marinelli hasn’t looked himself this whole tournament.

He wasn’t getting in guys’ face, moving laterally, and being brutal with his hands to get guys out of position to take his shots — it was unusual. Who knows why, but Bull will always be the man regardless.

Style-wise, I kinda disagree. He was still aggressive as hell in all positions and looked like he was emotionally distressed if he was not heavy-handing someone’s head every second he was in neutral. He was constantly pressing. While it hurts he lost, at least he lost looking like he had a sense of urgency.

Technique-wise he did look more one-dimensional, and I agree, not the Marinelli we saw in duals. He lead the team in pins most of the season and his hallmark was that hammerlock-to-out-front-to-cow-catcher combo. Pretty much every promotional shot from our duals or of him on social media was a picture of him in some stage of that combination. I saw him start that against Steitert with about 15s left in the match. I don’t recall that he even tried to get it going against anyone else he wrestled. Granted, you take what opponents give you, have to be situationally-aware, etc., but to see that move disappear from his arsenal almost entirely at NCAA’s was a head-scratcher. The diving roll seemed like a new addition I did not recall from the season. Also a head-scratcher. Not blaming injury, illness, coaching, Cael, or conspiracies. He just seemed like he decided to surprise the field with a different playbook and live and die in neutral.

Whatever the reason was, starting today, he has one year to get better and try again for the National Title we know he can win. I hope he makes the most of it.

he got screwed with draw. Best wrestler in the field but had to run the a gauntlet no one else did.
He might have been the best wrestler going into the tournament, but he didn't prove it. We can bitch and moan about the draw, but to be the best you have to prove it when it counts most. Bull still has work to do in that area.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
Style-wise, I kinda disagree. He was still aggressive as hell in all positions and looked like he was emotionally distressed if he was not heavy-handing someone’s head every second he was in neutral. He was constantly pressing. While it hurts he lost, at least he lost looking like he had a sense of urgency.

Technique-wise he did look more one-dimensional, and I agree, not the Marinelli we saw in duals. He lead the team in pins most of the season and his hallmark was that hammerlock-to-out-front-to-cow-catcher combo. Pretty much every promotional shot from our duals or of him on social media was a picture of him in some stage of that combination. I saw him start that against Steitert with about 15s left in the match. I don’t recall that he even tried to get it going against anyone else he wrestled. Granted, you take what opponents give you, have to be situationally-aware, etc., but to see that move disappear from his arsenal almost entirely at NCAA’s was a head-scratcher. The diving roll seemed like a new addition I did not recall from the season. Also a head-scratcher. Not blaming injury, illness, coaching, Cael, or conspiracies. He just seemed like he decided to surprise the field with a different playbook and live and die in neutral.

Whatever the reason was, starting today, he has one year to get better and try again for the National Title we know he can win. I hope he makes the most of it.
Maybe I’m blind, but Marinelli STILL has a huge knee brace on...I didn’t hear anything about off season surgery? I know he said it’s pr cautionary but I recall a certain NCAA champ ditching his last year after it being precautionary. I think there’s more than than meets the eye...and a lot meets the damn eye. That’s credit to Alex and how truly special he is. He’s not 100% but he has dogged the 2x (probably 3x after tonight) defending champ in their only two meetings. Not making excuses, I’m just stating some facts. It’s scary to think if he were fully healthy he would be better. Curious what’s up with his knee, tbh.

Martellar seems to play a little possum, act all tired and sand bag to save up for quick bursts. He is every bit as good as the top guys in the class. He was close with Joseph, the cradle loss to Wick a bit of a fluke/bad match up.

Didn't Wick pin Marsteller last year as well? That cradle is Wick's go to move and long guys like that are super dangerous.

Marinelli had trouble finishing on everyone he wrestled at the tournament. Unfortunate he didn’t have his best stuff. He also got taken down a bunch which is unusual for him.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
The Virginia Tech kid is damn solid. Doesn’t generate much of his own offense but good on reshots and tough to finish on. An aggressive guy like the Bull has to be able to finish.

Marstellar just plain beat him at his own game. When Chance is on, his shots and finishes are so crisp and clean...and he was on this tourney.

Well stated Chief. 4-time PA champs don't just grow on trees. Who knows what would've happened if Chance got his head on straight sooner. No shame losing to Chance. We'll see a Bull-Cenzo rematch next year. Cowboyup should do a WFL betting challenge on that match.

Reactions: IAChief32
Technique-wise he did look more one-dimensional, and I agree, not the Marinelli we saw in duals. He lead the team in pins most of the season and his hallmark was that hammerlock-to-out-front-to-cow-catcher combo. Pretty much every promotional shot from our duals or of him on social media was a picture of him in some stage of that combination. I saw him start that against Steitert with about 15s left in the match. I don’t recall that he even tried to get it going against anyone else he wrestled.

Dude, that's not really a move that is going to work on world class wrestlers. You also have to be in the top position and be significantly stronger than your opponent. Lewis and Marstellar are 2 of the strongest guys p4p in the tournament.

The Virginia Tech kid is damn solid. Doesn’t generate much of his own offense but good on reshots and tough to finish on. An aggressive guy like the Bull has to be able to finish.

Marstellar just plain beat him at his own game. When Chance is on, his shots and finishes are so crisp and clean...and he was on this tourney.
VT kid is very good at fighting off shots. I feel like the bull is the best at the weight with straight up takedowns. He couldn’t take Lewis down. I think VJ wins but it’s going to be tight. Wouldn’t at all be surprised to see Lewis win it with a similar strat. You still in pgh chief? Or any other hr members..Iowa he members that is. Would love to say hello.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT