ADVERTISEMENT

Cade McNamara News & Updates.

@83Hawk

This is post #484. Go to the previous page and scroll up to post #458 and start reading the posts that follow.

For example, post #467 has an 8 1/2 minute video of Cade, postgame. Cade discusses his first game as a Hawkeye and his quad muscle.

In post #470 you will see that KF said postgame that Cade's injury is something that's going to be week to week.

So, he did not "reinjure his quad," as you wrote. And I think he simply was taken out of the game because the game was won.

Hope that clears everything up for you!

"I told Cade, ‘If you didn't go through all those hard times at Michigan, you would never have found Iowa,'" Gary McNamara said. "And Iowa is the blessing of a lifetime for Cade."

Really good story.

@83Hawk

From last night, from KCRG:

After Iowa’s victory, Cade admitted he was not 100% heading into the Hawkeyes’ season opener.

Regarding the quad injury:

He did exit the game early which was a coaches decision, but his injury could linger throughout the season.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz said it’s something they will have to continue to manage on a week to week basis.

“The one thing I know about Cade and I haven’t been around him that long, but he’s an extremely mentally tough guy and extremely competitive. If he can’t go, he can’t go. If he can’t be effective - that I think was the biggest thing for us as coaches. We have to make that decision. The medical staff dictates whether he can have that opportunity or not. If he can play effectively and lead our team, we’re all for it,” Ferentz said.

“To be honest, I think the offensive line really kept me protected today. A lot of those plays, I was getting into my second hitch and there’s still no one within three yards of me,” McNamara explained. “There are times I’m going to be put in a position on the field that I’m going to have to work a little harder, put my body in certain positions, so that’s just kind of part of the healing process. When you have a soft tissue injury, I have to battle through these things.”

Reactions: F5n5 and cmhawks99
“He’s not only a great leader, but he’s one of my good friends, too,” center Logan Jones said. “Which is really cool. You know, I think he really loves the offensive line and everybody out there. Just being able to play with him. It’s just, it’s different.”

In this postgame Gazette article, Cade said this about his quad: “It is getting better.”

So, I don't understand why some people think he "re-injured" his quad.

The full story:

Cade McNamara not ‘100 percent’ recovered yet after injury, but ‘getting better’​

Kirk Ferentz: Cade McNamara ‘seemed comfortable with things’ in Iowa debut

John Steppe

John Steppe
Sep. 2, 2023 5:31 pm

IOWA CITY — Cade McNamara was “feeling it” mentally before his Iowa football debut was underway.

“The student section was already full,” McNamara said. “We were bouncing around. We were getting fired up.”

Physically, his recovery from a muscle injury remains a work in progress.

“It is getting better,” McNamara said. “I knew I wasn’t going to be 100 percent going into this game.”

McNamara, who had missed about two weeks of practice after suffering the injury at an Aug. 12 open practice, was playing in his first game since Sept. 17 of last year.

It was the first time he attempted more than 20 passes in a game since he led Michigan to a 42-3 win over Iowa in the 2021 Big Ten championship.

McNamara went 17-for-30 for 191 yards in his return, a 24-14 Iowa win over Utah State on Saturday. He had two touchdowns and no interceptions.

“He seemed comfortable with things,” Ferentz said. “You can tell he is a guy who has played because the conversations going back and forth are pretty good.”

McNamara started the game on a high note, throwing a 36-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Seth Anderson. It was Iowa’s second play of the game and his first pass as a Hawkeye.

Later in the quarter, he threw a second touchdown — a 3-yard reception by Erick All Jr. — on a play-action pass with 14 personnel (one running back, four tight ends) on the field.

His first game back did not lack adversity. At one point, he missed six straight throws. He also led an offense that only had one 50-plus-yard drive after the first quarter.

“This is our first time being out there as a group,” McNamara said. “Of course, there’s going to be little mistakes. … This is a really good experience for our team and our offense.”

McNamara said the offensive line “did a really good job” with pass protection although he took one sack and sometimes faced difficult pressure.

“There were a couple awkward positions I was put in today,” McNamara said. “The offensive line really kept me protected today. … A lot of those guys, I was getting into my second hitch, and there's still no one within three yards of me.”

McNamara went into the game officially with a “questionable” designation on the Big Ten’s availability report although Ferentz also had previously said he was “expecting” him to play.

Asked whether McNamara was “iffy” at all leading up to the game, Ferentz said “not so much the last couple of days.”

“He practiced well,” Ferentz said.

Deacon Hill replaced McNamara for the final eight-plus minutes of the game. Iowa had a 24-6 lead at the time, which later shrunk to 24-14.

“Not that we had the game in hand, but we felt good about things a little bit,” Ferentz said. “We wanted to get him out and give him a chance to regroup a little bit and hopefully not set himself back.”

It appeared as if Hill might enter the game earlier — he was seen taking snaps on the sideline with center Logan Jones — but McNamara still took the field for the next drive.

Looking ahead, Ferentz anticipates McNamara’s injury to be “week-to-week, day-to-day.”

“I imagine it’s something we have to manage as we go along,” Ferentz said. “Hopefully, it will get better as we go. … Hopefully tomorrow, it’s not too sore and he can just get back to work Monday.”

As medical progress naturally brings ambiguity — “there’s really no way to predict this stuff,” Ferentz said — there is no doubting McNamara’s motivation.

“I am going to do everything I can to get healthy,” McNamara said.

Comments: john.steppe@thegazette.com

Last edited:
In this postgame Gazette article, Cade said this about his quad: “It is getting better.”

So, I don't understand why some people think he "re-injured" his quad.

The full story:

Cade McNamara not ‘100 percent’ recovered yet after injury, but ‘getting better’​

Kirk Ferentz: Cade McNamara ‘seemed comfortable with things’ in Iowa debut

John Steppe

John Steppe
Sep. 2, 2023 5:31 pm

IOWA CITY — Cade McNamara was “feeling it” mentally before his Iowa football debut was underway.

“The student section was already full,” McNamara said. “We were bouncing around. We were getting fired up.”

Physically, his recovery from a muscle injury remains a work in progress.

“It is getting better,” McNamara said. “I knew I wasn’t going to be 100 percent going into this game.”

McNamara, who had missed about two weeks of practice after suffering the injury at an Aug. 12 open practice, was playing in his first game since Sept. 17 of last year.

It was the first time he attempted more than 20 passes in a game since he led Michigan to a 42-3 win over Iowa in the 2021 Big Ten championship.

McNamara went 17-for-30 for 191 yards in his return, a 24-14 Iowa win over Utah State on Saturday. He had two touchdowns and no interceptions.

“He seemed comfortable with things,” Ferentz said. “You can tell he is a guy who has played because the conversations going back and forth are pretty good.”

McNamara started the game on a high note, throwing a 36-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Seth Anderson. It was Iowa’s second play of the game and his first pass as a Hawkeye.

Later in the quarter, he threw a second touchdown — a 3-yard reception by Erick All Jr. — on a play-action pass with 14 personnel (one running back, four tight ends) on the field.

His first game back did not lack adversity. At one point, he missed six straight throws. He also led an offense that only had one 50-plus-yard drive after the first quarter.

“This is our first time being out there as a group,” McNamara said. “Of course, there’s going to be little mistakes. … This is a really good experience for our team and our offense.”

McNamara said the offensive line “did a really good job” with pass protection although he took one sack and sometimes faced difficult pressure.

“There were a couple awkward positions I was put in today,” McNamara said. “The offensive line really kept me protected today. … A lot of those guys, I was getting into my second hitch, and there's still no one within three yards of me.”

McNamara went into the game officially with a “questionable” designation on the Big Ten’s availability report although Ferentz also had previously said he was “expecting” him to play.

Asked whether McNamara was “iffy” at all leading up to the game, Ferentz said “not so much the last couple of days.”

“He practiced well,” Ferentz said.

Deacon Hill replaced McNamara for the final eight-plus minutes of the game. Iowa had a 24-6 lead at the time, which later shrunk to 24-14.

“Not that we had the game in hand, but we felt good about things a little bit,” Ferentz said. “We wanted to get him out and give him a chance to regroup a little bit and hopefully not set himself back.”

It appeared as if Hill might enter the game earlier — he was seen taking snaps on the sideline with center Logan Jones — but McNamara still took the field for the next drive.

Looking ahead, Ferentz anticipates McNamara’s injury to be “week-to-week, day-to-day.”

“I imagine it’s something we have to manage as we go along,” Ferentz said. “Hopefully, it will get better as we go. … Hopefully tomorrow, it’s not too sore and he can just get back to work Monday.”

As medical progress naturally brings ambiguity — “there’s really no way to predict this stuff,” Ferentz said — there is no doubting McNamara’s motivation.

“I am going to do everything I can to get healthy,” McNamara said.

Comments: john.steppe@thegazette.com

The big thing is this… And I actually mean this in a pleasant way, not being crappy. We have a lot of fatalistic fans. I can be that way myself.

We expect the worst…

That pass blocking was good!!

The big thing is this… And I actually mean this in a pleasant way, not being crappy. We have a lot of fatalistic fans. I can be that way myself.

We expect the worst…

That pass blocking was good!!

I keep seeing posts stating "he's clearly not 100%." Well, we have known that for a while.

It's just odd....

Bottom line is this: postgame Cade said, and I quote, "It is getting better.”

I will go with what is known and leave the guessing and the obvious (he's not 100%) for others.

I keep seeing posts stating "he's clearly not 100%." Well, we have known that for a while.

It's just odd....

Bottom line is this: postgame Cade said, and I quote, "It is getting better.”

I will go with what is known and leave the guessing for others.
I don't get it either. From some posts I'm reading, they talk like Cade could barely move out there.

Jeez Kirk......anything else you want to tell ISU that we won't do?

I understand with Cade being injured it makes sneaks and roll outs unlikely, but for crying out loud don't come right out and say they are off the menu. At least leave SOME doubt in the Clone's minds.

So what Kirk is saying is he is basically Spencer Petra’s except he can read the defense, Go through progressions and throw accurately.

Reactions: destro72 and 83Hawk
Do you know if Parker ever got in there on the line?

3 snaps.

Snap counts for the OFFENSIVE LINE:

Mason Richman – 66
Logan Jones – 62
Gennings Dunker – 59
Connor Colby – 41
Rusty Feth – 38
Nick DeJong – 34
Tyler Elsbury – 28
Kade Pieper – 7 (Iowa did not list him on their participation chart, so checking on this one)
Jeremy Chaplin – 7
Daijon Parker – 3

TAKEAWAY: Iowa pretty much stuck with their tackles (Richman and Dunker) and their center (Jones) the entire game. Then they rotated away at guard between DeJong, Colby, Feth, and Elsbury. Not sure Kade Pieper actually played.

The above comes from:

Reactions: F5n5
3 snaps.

Snap counts for the OFFENSIVE LINE:

Mason Richman – 66
Logan Jones – 62
Gennings Dunker – 59
Connor Colby – 41
Rusty Feth – 38
Nick DeJong – 34
Tyler Elsbury – 28
Kade Pieper – 7 (Iowa did not list him on their participation chart, so checking on this one)
Jeremy Chaplin – 7
Daijon Parker – 3

TAKEAWAY: Iowa pretty much stuck with their tackles (Richman and Dunker) and their center (Jones) the entire game. Then they rotated away at guard between DeJong, Colby, Feth, and Elsbury. Not sure Kade Pieper actually played.

The above comes from:

Probably settle on Colby and Feth and the guards you think?

This is the way to “throw the ball open” to the receiver. Over the left shoulder away from defender and let the receiver have the best shot to catch the ball. There were a few passes like that in the game.
Cade is a gamer. If the o-line gives him protection every game we will get better.

as others have mentioned, the pass protection looked good.

now, that run game....hope they get that fixed and fast! 2.40 yds/carry is not gonna get it done.

Reactions: LampoonYou
Free story from the GIA Publisher, but we already know (1) he's sore; and (2) he's playing.

Click on "iowa.rivals.com" in the tweet below to take you to the story.

Here's a 30 minute discussion between Chad Leisitkow and Tyler Tachman of the Des Moines Register. They discuss Cade's immobility and how it will impact the upcoming game & beyond.

Click on the PLAY button:

Reactions: 2D_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT