ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin's Popularity Will Never Translate to the WNBA

The problem with the WNBA is when there season is. Summertime is when my TV is off and im outside a majority of the time plus you need a break from sports and basicly from the end of March Madness til Labor day weekend when Foottball returns I watch Very little sports.
It is also the most woke sports league from what I have seen.

The problem with the WNBA is when there season is. Summertime is when my TV is off and im outside a majority of the time plus you need a break from sports and basicly from the end of March Madness til Labor day weekend when Foottball returns I watch Very little sports.
Yes, so agree. I had a lot of friends in Des MOines who always wanted me to go see the Iowa BArnstormers play inside during the summer. And I said besides not being all that intriqued with arena football it is too nice outside in the summer to be sitting inside with no windows with a bunch of drunks.

Then sometimes we would go with friends to a bar and sit outside on the patio and have a few beers after working and playing outside all day. :D

There’s a lot of UConn fans that aren’t happy that the spotlight is on a player from a school in the middle of nowhere. A size-able portion of the WNBA fan base are UConn fans considering the amount of players they’ve pumped into the league over the past three decades.

If you don’t bow down at the alter of Brianna, Diana, Sue, Maya, Lobo, etc. they will tear you down as a newbie who knows nothing about the sport. Never minding that Iowa was a nationally important team in the decade before UConn mattered. Multiple Elite Eights and another Sweet Sixteen, plus a 22,000 attendance home game all before UConn even won their first tournament game.

There are a lot of CC fans that are new to the sport, and can be annoying. But that doesn’t diminish what she’s done as a player. In fact it shows her greatness in ability to pull in new fans unlike anything ever seen before in the college game.

What everyone needs to do is maybe let her actually play her first game in the WNBA before either tearing her down or putting her on the top of the pedestal.

The headline says Caitlins popularity will never translate to the WNBA, To me that is different than can Caitlin’s popularity resonate into increased popularity for the entire WNBA, Seeing teams move to larger facilities to handle ticket demand to me shows Caitlin is doing pretty well early in the transition, Will it last? Time will tell.

I read the entire thread and was pleasantly surprised that so many either supported the proposition or were vigorous in their praise for Caitlin's skills and numbers. They are obviously passionate WBB fans. So the ones who could take their blue tinted glasses off for a sec made some really good arguments on the pro CC side. And, fwiw, they seemed to have mostly gotten over their giant butthurt!

There’s a lot of UConn fans that aren’t happy that the spotlight is on a player from a school in the middle of nowhere. A size-able portion of the WNBA fan base are UConn fans considering the amount of players they’ve pumped into the league over the past three decades.

If you don’t bow down at the alter of Brianna, Diana, Sue, Maya, Lobo, etc. they will tear you down as a newbie who knows nothing about the sport. Never minding that Iowa was a nationally important team in the decade before UConn mattered. Multiple Elite Eights and another Sweet Sixteen, plus a 22,000 attendance home game all before UConn even won their first tournament game.

There are a lot of CC fans that are new to the sport, and can be annoying. But that doesn’t diminish what she’s done as a player. In fact it shows her greatness in ability to pull in new fans unlike anything ever seen before in the college game.

What everyone needs to do is maybe let her actually play her first game in the WNBA before either tearing her down or putting her on the top of the pedestal.
I maintain my analogy of Caitlin being like Maximus in gladiator. An apex predator buried amongst the castoffs raising them up to victory. Hopefully her ending is better.

The headline says Caitlins popularity will never translate to the WNBA, To me that is different than can Caitlin’s popularity resonate into increased popularity for the entire WNBA, Seeing teams move to larger facilities to handle ticket demand to me shows Caitlin is doing pretty well early in the transition, Will it last? Time will tell.

Clark effect: Mystics to host Fever at Capital One Arena​

Story by Reuters

Caitlin’s popularity translated to the WNBA months before she even announced her decision to go pro.

She’s a pop culture sensation like we’ve never seen.

Picture Taylor Swift’s recent explosion but only bigger!

No baseball?

She will have her 15 minutes and probably even 20.

If others don't follow and build on Clark's bump.....people will tire of her and the physically inferior WNBA in a hurry. It will be back to a fanbase of dikes, former women college athletes, and some college alum.

• Haha
Reactions: peacehawk
Clark/Excel are much better at marketing than the wnba. This is going to be an interesting battle of wills between people who understand and value marketing and people who dont. A lot will depend on how Caitlin performs, and in the long run a lot will depend on how many College women work with marketing teams on NIL and take their teams with them to the wnba.

There will be a bump, but it's not going to rocket the league to big numbers. Just not a fun product to watch, otherwise people already would be. The bandwagon folks that made the CC phenom so huge will go on to the next thing once it comes around. It was the phenom...not that game...that drew them in. Most of them aren't going to invest in being serious WNBA fans...or college fans.

Not everywhere is the same. There is a reason...beyond the product on the court...why the Aces get such good attendance. People would rather be indoors.

It's also Vegas. People are there to go to shows
...and Ace tickets are really cheap compared to the other live shows in Vegas. Vegas is a desert. People do not want to be outside.

I am very impressed with how both Clark and the WNBA are using this.....but at the end of the day it is an inferior product to the NBA and 2 dozen Clarks will not change that. Even if she kills it in the WNBA... .people will soon tire of watching her great shooting. As for her great passing and assists? Are there going to be some monster dunks on the end?

Caitlin’s popularity translated to the WNBA months before she even announced her decision to go pro.

She’s a pop culture sensation like we’ve never seen.

Picture Taylor Swift’s recent explosion but only bigger!

Don't get carried away now. Taylor Swift is way more of a pop culture sensation than Clark. It honestly isn't even close.

Reactions: ZachJump
You really think 50 year old guys with beer guts and a fat wallet are going to get excited over Clark?

Um.....I know of at least 1

(Also thought it was funny to see the thread posted to start this thread...I was already in the Boneyard one-though my username is much different)

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Um.....I know of at least 1

(Also thought it was funny to see the thread posted to start this thread...I was already in the Boneyard one-though my username is much different)
I wonder which one Kelcie wood rather bone?

...and Ace tickets are really cheap compared to the other live shows in Vegas. Vegas is a desert. People do not want to be outside.

I am very impressed with how both Clark and the WNBA are using this.....but at the end of the day it is an inferior product to the NBA and 2 dozen Clarks will not change that. Even if she kills it in the WNBA... .people will soon tire of watching her great shooting. As for her great passing and assists? Are there going to be some monster dunks on the end?
I've never watched an WNBA game but if it's inferior to an NBA game it must be pretty bad. For me the NBA game is terribly boring to watch - no defense and basically nothing more than a dunk-a-thon with a bunch of overpaid uninterested players.

I doubt that poindexter LOL
Hm something tells me you don’t follow our staff/athletes on IG/Twitter lol but besides that…do you rly think a team/staff where at least 6 members are very open about the fact that they are into women is NOT woke? AJ Edigar (who is not one of those I mentioned previously) literally created her own major in DEI lol. Jada regularly posts about how disgusting she finds Iowa’s anti-LGBT policies. Crazy how a team from the most progressive school/city in the state might reflect that lmao….

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
You do realize people actually live here and do crazy things like go to games. You think that a tourist thinking about coming to Vegas in July is why they sold out all their season tickets?
No doubt. The Vegas franchise is the strongest in the league. The Vegas Knights took off as well. But it is pretty common for businesses to buy season ticket blocks and suites. I'm sure there are plenty of hotels and other entertainment companies that buy tickets. That can't hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: warriors dad

LOlololol.. Like Stors Conn, is not the middle of nowhere?

Reactions: littlez
Hm something tells me you don’t follow our staff/athletes on IG/Twitter lol but besides that…do you rly think a team/staff where at least 6 members are very open about the fact that they are into women is NOT woke? AJ Edigar (who is not one of those I mentioned previously) literally created her own major in DEI lol. Jada regularly posts about how disgusting she finds Iowa’s anti-LGBT policies. Crazy how a team from the most progressive school/city in the state might reflect that lmao….
I follow many of our athletes on X, only a few of the women. But I feel like you are arguing with yourself. I made a fairly benign observation about the league, which is a bit obvious I suppose. But someone like CC shouldn’t have the WNBA’s politics jammed down her throat, and she seems to do a good job of being apolitical. Kind of refreshing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT