ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone point me to empirical evidence that the earth is a spinning ball hurdling through space

Probably time for the feast to end. I'm feeling nostalgic and want to protect NoleSoup's legacy for some inexplicable reason.

Hey dick... hit 20 pages about 11 more times and then get back to us. 1 decent troll ain't shit.

#NoleSoup4ever

Do hot objects heat up cold objects or do cold objects cool hot objects? Which way does the heat energy flow?

See...there's your problem. I'm debating whether I should help you out, though. Do you want me to point out where you and your "engineer" go off the rails?

Probably time for the feast to end. I'm feeling nostalgic and want to protect NoleSoup's legacy for some inexplicable reason.

Hey dick... hit 20 pages about 11 more times and then get back to us. 1 decent troll ain't shit.

#NoleSoup4ever
I don't think this is Soup. Soup wasn't religious at all. But, he was a good troll at times. If this had some connection with Holly Rowe, maybe.

LOL, this is you guys.

17424591_1108836045906335_50653989145010219_n.jpg

lsajidf;alkjfa;lkjfa;sdlkfjasdkfjaskfjadksfj

You're right...it's "below red" on the electromagnetic spectrum. Good boy...you get a biscuit. Soooo...it's light...it's just light whose wavelength lies just outside that which is visible to us though some animals, like snakes, do see in the infrared. Now...can light travel through a vacuum? Careful, this might be a trick question.

Reactions: IACub and BelemNole
You're right...it's "below red" on the electromagnetic spectrum. Good boy...you get a biscuit. Soooo...it's light...it's just light whose wavelength lies just outside that which is visible to us though some animals, like snakes, do see in the infrared. Now...can light travel through a vacuum? Careful, this might be a trick question.

a;dkfja;lkdfja;lkdfj;alskfja;lskdjfa;lskfdj

It wasn't about the heat of the thermosphere, it was about the problems you have COOLING things in the thermosphere. Where does all that built up heat go genius? How do you transfer the heat built up in the ISS/space shuttle into the surrounding atmosphere if the gases are so thin? What law of thermodynamics allows for you to dissipate heat in a vacuum. I'll await your answer.

Radiative heat transfer. Blackbody radiation has been 'known' since the early 1900s. So, it's been "known" for >100 years....

It wasn't about the heat of the thermosphere, it was about the problems you have COOLING things in the thermosphere. Where does all that built up heat go genius? How do you transfer the heat built up in the ISS/space shuttle into the surrounding atmosphere if the gases are so thin? What law of thermodynamics allows for you to dissipate heat in a vacuum. I'll await your answer.

Specifically:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law

Which way does the transfer of heat flow, hot to cold or cold to hot?

You are referring to 'heat conduction'. That is not what you are discussing here. This is 'radiative' heat transfer.

Planck's Law demonstrates that ANYTHING above absolute zero (0°K) emits radiative heating. The radiative profile changes with temperature.

Things also ABSORB radiation, so if you put two blackbodies at different temperatures into a vacuum, one will emit more than it absorbs, the other will absorb more than it emits, until they both end up at the same temperature (in an isolated box; the box itself will emit and absorb as well, until ALL of it equilibrates to the same temperature).

You are referring to 'heat conduction'. That is not what you are discussing here. This is 'radiative' heat transfer.

Planck's Law demonstrates that ANYTHING above absolute zero (0°K) emits radiative heating. The radiative profile changes with temperature.

Things also ABSORB radiation, so if you put two blackbodies at different temperatures into a vacuum, one will emit more than it absorbs, the other will absorb more than it emits, until they both end up at the same temperature (in an isolated box; the box itself will emit and absorb as well, until ALL of it equilibrates to the same temperature).

Very good, so tell me how the ISS cools itself by radiating its excessive heat when it is surroundings, meager though they might be, are hotter than itself. If everything seeks an equilibrium how does the ISS cool itself, even though it's in a vacuum.

Very good, so tell me how the ISS cools itself by radiating its excessive heat when it is surroundings, meager though they might be, are hotter than itself. If everything seeks an equilibrium how does the ISS cool itself, even though it's in a vacuum.

Its "surroundings" are about 3°K (I believe that it the approx. temperature in the vacuum of empty space)

Due to solar irradiation, an actual thermometer (absorbing on the half facing the sun) would read about 45°F.

So, I have no clue as to what you mean by "the ISS has surroundings hotter than itself". It gets hot on the sun-side, and all they need to do is 'conduct' that heat to the non-sun side and the heat radiates away quite easily. If you DO NOT conduct the heat away from the sun-absorbing side, it will get quite hot, as there is no air to convect thermal energy anywhere; you have to rely totally on conduction across the spacecraft and radiated heat losses.

Its "surroundings" are about 3°K (I believe that it the approx. temperature in the vacuum of empty space)

Due to solar irradiation, an actual thermometer (absorbing on the half facing the sun) would read about 45°F.

So, I have no clue as to what you mean by "the ISS has surroundings hotter than itself". It gets hot on the sun-side, and all they need to do is 'conduct' that heat to the non-sun side and the heat radiates away quite easily. If you DO NOT conduct the heat away from the sun-absorbing side, it will get quite hot, as there is no air to convect thermal energy anywhere; you have to rely totally on conduction across the spacecraft and radiated heat losses.

45F, where the hell did you get that number, I've seen everywhere from 145F to 1600F but not 45F. So, if it's only 45F on the side facing the sun, as you say, are there heaters on the ISS? Seems like they might get a wee bit nippy, especially when they are opposite the sun in their orbit.

45F, where the hell did you get that number, I've seen everywhere from 145F to 1600F but not 45F. So, if it's only 45F on the side facing the sun, as you say, are there heaters on the ISS? Seems like they might get a wee bit nippy, especially when they are opposite the sun in their orbit.

At the Earth's distance from the sun, a space thermometer with roughly half its surface is absorbing sunlightwould register 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://www.space.com/14719-spacekids-temperature-outer-space.html

ISS does more than just 'absorb' heat from the sun; nearly ALL of the systems on it GENERATE heat as they function. Getting rid of that heat is the main issue for them.

At the Earth's distance from the sun, a space thermometer with roughly half its surface is absorbing sunlightwould register 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://www.space.com/14719-spacekids-temperature-outer-space.html

ISS does more than just 'absorb' heat from the sun; nearly ALL of the systems on it GENERATE heat as they function. Getting rid of that heat is the main issue for them.

I know getting rid of the heat is a problem, that's what I'm telling you I don't think that the ISS or satellites in the thermosphere can cool themselves enough not to damage them let alone have humans living in it for months on end.. And your 45F figure is way the frick off, like at least 100 degrees lower than I've seen anywhere else and this site says it can get up to 4500 F https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/thermosphere/en/. So, does the solar radiation and the radiated heat from the ISS just pass each other in the night defying thermodynamic principles, or is NASA full of shit?

I know getting rid of the heat is a problem

It's internally generated heat; you can look up how they do it.
In comparison, Voyagers 1 and 2 have internal plutonium based power supplies to PROVIDE heat for their electronics, or they'd be frozen solid.

It's internally generated heat; you can look up how they do it.
In comparison, Voyagers 1 and 2 have internal plutonium based power supplies to PROVIDE heat for their electronics, or they'd be frozen solid.

What's the difference between the ISS and the Voyager probes? Where are they located in 'space'?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT