ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Davis: Iowa wins B1G Championship & CFP Berth; Marvin McNutt: Iowa is a 10 or 11 win team

I’m not as optimistic as many here. I think this squad is in the 6-8 win range tops. There’s quite a few optimistic comments about guys that have never played a down of college football at their position that are going to be all-world on day 1, positive comments about players that were very marginal last year but are going to double their performance now and the schedule is really tough.

I predict getting smacked around early by either ISU or Michigan or both will bring a crushing reality to many here on how difficult the season will be.

Last year was a missed opportunity for a big season with a better roster & a tremendously more favorable schedule.

Take a look at our B1G conference record the past couple of years. It’s nothing to bring this kind of optimism. We simply do not have 4-5 star talent across the board therefore we develop players who come into their own on many different timelines. Meshing that together across a season leads to execution inconsistencies and with a lack of overwhelming talent, there will be many tight 1 score games that we end up losing. A few mistakes and we lose.

We’ve seen this song and dance most of the past 10 years,,, yet here come the end less 10+ win predictions. If we could not do it last year with almost everything in our favor then how is it going to be done this year with many more challenges?

I’m not as optimistic as many here. I think this squad is in the 6-8 win range tops. There’s quite a few optimistic comments about guys that have never played a down of college football at their position that are going to be all-world on day 1, positive comments about players that were very marginal last year but are going to double their performance now and the schedule is really tough.

I predict getting smacked around early by either ISU or Michigan or both will bring a crushing reality to many here on how difficult the season will be.

Last year was a missed opportunity for a big season with a better roster & a tremendously more favorable schedule.

Take a look at our B1G conference record the past couple of years. It’s nothing to bring this kind of optimism. We simply do not have 4-5 star talent across the board therefore we develop players who come into their own on many different timelines. Meshing that together across a season leads to execution inconsistencies and with a lack of overwhelming talent, there will be many tight 1 score games that we end up losing. A few mistakes and we lose.

We’ve seen this song and dance most of the past 10 years,,, yet here come the end less 10+ win predictions. If we could not do it last year with almost everything in our favor then how is it going to be done this year with many more challenges?

Not sure what playing a down in Division 1 football has to do with optimism. I would bet that all of the players on the Iowa roster believe they will win every game.
Michigan has 4 and 5 star talent every year, and yet Iowa beats them almost every year.
The Hawks could have easily won 10 regular season games last year if Stanley would have performed better in the last few minutes of games. Hopefully he has learned from that will be much better in the close games this year.
As far as roster goes, I think that the Hawks have less the tight ends, just as good or better roster than last year. The DL and Ol lines will be very good, the running backs all return with the addition of some talented freshman backs.
The wide receivers are probably as stocked as I can ever remember a Ferentz coached team, if Martin is eligible to play they should be very good.

I am in the optimistic camp and with a few breaks could see this team winning 10 or 11 games and winning the west.

Eye of the beholder. I don't necessarily disagree with your points. We did blow it last year in my opinion. However, as much as people are right about droning on and on about 7-8 wins, Hawkeye football (game to game) is not very predictable. You saw first year Hockensen winning the Mackey? He shouldn't have been the best TE on his own team.

I think our coaches and seniors have to be exceptional this year to achieve at a high level. But, this is year three for many, and the right time for that to occur. There's such positive movement on so many fronts and a wealth of experience with both positive and negative results to learn from. No one saw 2015 coming either, and it detracts from all of those points.

We're all correct as of today. What view are you taking? I say: Why not?

Suppose that Iowa splits the ISU and Michigan games ... both will be tough games in hostile environments. No game on Iowa's schedule ought to be considered a guaranteed loss.

Now following the Michigan game ... assuming that Iowa is a 1-loss team at that juncture ... suppose that Iowa defeats BOTH PSU and Purdue. I understand that is quite the supposition ... however, should it be the case, I believe that it supplies the Hawks with a ton of momentum heading into the stretch that involves the NW, Wisc, and Minny games.

It's true that the Hawks could stumble in more games ... but it's equally possible that they could play up to their billing. I still see the Hawks as a 9-3 team .... however, if the guys respond well to adversity, they could fare better ... potentially A LOT better.

I don't think most people who are being "optimistic" are thinking we're locked in to 10+ wins, but that we have the potential for it. Just like we had the potential last year, and the year before, but failed principally because of some devastating last-second losses. Just think back to last year - 9 wins and we played in what, 6 close games and lost 4 of them, all essentially last minute.

We very well may end up in the 6-8 win range (though I very much doubt the 6), but to think that the absolute best we can do this year is 6-8 wins is not just pessimistic, but I'd go as far as to say out of touch with reality.

We lost four underclassmen to the NFL.

We’re a developmental program and we’re rarely, if ever, able to reload that quickly. We shouldn’t really expect more than 7-5 — especially with the coaches in our league that can bite you any given week.

But, I think there’s an unbridled optimism this year with:
1) Sr QB, who’s been a good starter and closer, just needs work on middle relief
2) Bookend tackles that look as good as any we’ve had at their positions
3) A WR room that finally looks to have the athleticism to get open
4) A punter who will change field position, key to our possession based offense
5) A defense that does not look to have an obvious weakness, maybe DT (Nixon?)
6) A top edge rushing duo that combined for 72 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 1 INT and 1 TD
7) Great depth and versatility in the defensive backfield, with several potential playmakers.
8) A return game that will be as exciting as we’ve ever had. ISM being a true threat to score every time he touches the ball.
9) BF, KOK, Polasek in year 3. Kirk @ v2.2 — this group should be close to max output.
10) National leaders in strength and conditioning, player development
11) New North Endzone — pinning the opposition in deep and making their ears bleed.
12) #Swarm20 nearly complete and locking down the state’s best for 2021, 2022
13) Guys with the POTENTIAL to play at the next level at every position (minus maybe kicker, RB)

We’re set up for a great year. They’re going to have to battle all year long, especially on the road because this B1G slate hasn’t become any easier over the past 5 years. As always, they’ll earn it.

There's not a team on our schedule that can smack us around That to me means being physically dominated. ISU might be pretty good, if we lose it won't be because they physically dominated Iowa.

Reactions: Wadzinator
There's not a team on our schedule that can smack us around That to me means being physically dominated. ISU might be pretty good, if we lose it won't be because they physically dominated Iowa.

64 yards on the ground and 10 points at home while yielding 184 rushing yards.... I’d say we got physically dominated by Northwestern last year.

64 yards on the ground and 10 points at home while yielding 184 rushing yards.... I’d say we got physically dominated by Northwestern last year.
Absolutely - Northwestern accomplished against the Hawks exactly what the Hawks would have wanted to do against Northwestern.

However, part of the issue there, I'd attribute to the inexperience of Iowa's LBs. Northwestern's schemes spread your defense out laterally ... and then they were pounding body-blows to the interior with Bowser's runs. The Hawks were defending the run most of the time with just 6 hats in the box.

Absolutely - Northwestern accomplished against the Hawks exactly what the Hawks would have wanted to do against Northwestern.

However, part of the issue there, I'd attribute to the inexperience of Iowa's LBs. Northwestern's schemes spread your defense out laterally ... and then they were pounding body-blows to the interior with Bowser's runs. The Hawks were defending the run most of the time with just 6 hats in the box.

We see them every season. Defending the box with 6 should theoretically still give us +1 man advantage (6 on 5 -> 5 OL + QB + RB) .... if they bring anyone else in the box to block, we should have a hat there too.

I know it won't be easy, but I am less concerned with our performance against Michigan and Penn State than Minnesota, Northwestern, and Purdue. History shows we tend to do very well against non-OSU good teams... we're apparently inspired to slay Goliath. History also shows we have at times had flat, lacking evidence of an attacking gameplan efforts versus teams well within our means.

2015 certainly shows this organization can do it. But, I think it takes unusual coaching and senior leadership to get there. Frankly and ironically for what one may expect, we don't have history of consistency.

But, so many positive developments in the program indicate healthy growth, I going with a why not approach. Why not? There is not one team on our schedule we cannot beat.
Agree. Maybe it's my black and gold glasses, but there does seem to be a really positive vibe around the program right now. Very interested to see this season unfold...:cool:

Reactions: mrF6n6

I don’t disagree with some of your concerns but to say Iowa is going to get s ached around by Iowa St - who hasn’t beaten Iowa in 4 years and who is also replacing big time talent and starting guys with guys that are unknown - seems overly optimistic for Iowa St wouldn’t you say?

Iowa's toughest road game this year is @ Nebraska. Some of you who are obsessed with the fuskers aren't going to like that...but it's true.

Reactions: Cougar63
We see them every season. Defending the box with 6 should theoretically still give us +1 man advantage (6 on 5 -> 5 OL + QB + RB) .... if they bring anyone else in the box to block, we should have a hat there too.
Can't disagree with much of what you're saying And1 and agree with a lot of your posts. I can't really put a finger on it, just call it blind optimism I guess. 2015 just kind of came out of nowhere as well. I remember that game at Wisconsin and how that tough slugfest seemed to rally that group of hawks. Perhaps it will be a fistfight like that that will move the Hawks forward. I have a good feeling about the tough slate of road games. It maybe just what this team needs to slay the west demons. This program seems to respond to adversity. Hell, we curbed stomped OSU at home then played like crap for two weeks, so that formula must not work, LOL! Hoping for another magical season......

Reactions: And1Hawk

I don't see the situation as talent deficiency. To me, the program is set up to be 7-5 or 8-4 annually. We consistently have more talent than 6 opponents. We go 6-0 or 5-1 against them. The talent level is close in the other 6 games with us having maybe a little more than 4 and a little less than 2. Since our offense virtually never asserts itself, games are won by:
1) our defense creating a TO or mistake or
2) opposing offense scoring late against our tired defense or
3) opposing defense overwhelming our offense

2 of those 3 things are bad so left to percentages, we will go 2-4 in those games.

The only way to get out of that rut is to significantly upgrade our offense
and we continue not to do that.

It's interesting, that after only 3 years with their coach, virtually everyone thinks ISU will be a tough game and many think they will be favored. How can that be? We've had 17 more years to establish recruiting connections, and establish staff stability. There is no comparison in talent based on
annual draft choices, both past and anticipated. So why are they now our equal or maybe even superior? The answer is quite obvious.

I don't see the situation as talent deficiency. To me, the program is set up to be 7-5 or 8-4 annually. We consistently have more talent than 6 opponents. We go 6-0 or 5-1 against them. The talent level is close in the other 6 games with us having maybe a little more than 4 and a little less than 2. Since our offense virtually never asserts itself, games are won by:

2 of those 3 things are bad so left to percentages, we will go 2-4 in those games.

It's interesting, that after only 3 years with their coach, virtually everyone thinks ISU will be a tough game and many think they will be favored. How can that be? We've had 17 more years to establish recruiting connections, and establish staff stability. There is no comparison in talent based on
annual draft choices, both past and anticipated. So why are they now our equal or maybe even superior? The answer is quite obvious.
First off the answer is not that obvious, nor is ISU in anyway our equal in football. There are alot of posters who are simply afraid of the boogey man which in this case is ISU. Recruiting goes in cycles, and although they may be on an upswing, ISU is not out recruiting Iowa, not even close. Yes they should have a good team this year and it should be a competitive game, as instate rivalries usually are. When ISU starts to win 8 or 9 games most of time, and actually wins a big 12 conference title or something really big maybe we can revisit this. Also remember that they have made this improvement in a conference that has been down for years, other then Oklahoma, kind of the same way that Missouri started to ascend before they left to join the SEC.

Reactions: owenhawk
Can't disagree with much of what you're saying And1 and agree with a lot of your posts. I can't really put a finger on it, just call it blind optimism I guess. 2015 just kind of came out of nowhere as well. I remember that game at Wisconsin and how that tough slugfest seemed to rally that group of hawks. Perhaps it will be a fistfight like that that will move the Hawks forward. I have a good feeling about the tough slate of road games. It maybe just what this team needs to slay the west demons. This program seems to respond to adversity. Hell, we curbed stomped OSU at home then played like crap for two weeks, so that formula must not work, LOL! Hoping for another magical season......

Magical seasons happen and what we think based on what we know right now can & will change a lot as the season plays out for our team and our opponents. Injuries happen, turmoil happens, confidence can rise & fall, surprise players emerge, etc. All aspects that are hard to predict that factor in over a season.

This program is very, very sound as we can bank on 6-8 wins every single year. It’s to the point that true critics want to label it as mediocre when that’s not the case. Often they just want to take a shot and there’s nothing really to take a shot at so they invent a narrative. Consistent winning over a long period of time is very difficult. I don’t want my posts to be misconstrued or labeled as negative because I have concerns about going from 6-8 wins, to that special / magical season this year. It’s not easy to win P5 games and win B1G games including beating our West opponents who we see every year & know us.

The ISU game this year will be a great first barometer on how this team handles challenge and adversity. Campbell expects victory this year after 3 defeats and ISU fans are not only demanding it, after 4 consecutive losses but counting on it on their way to a Big12 championship this year. They believe this is going to prove that they are a top 10 team and the far superior program. This is exactly the kind of stakes we are going to face several times on the road this season with Michigan, Wisconsin & Nebraska. Iowa does not get the luxury of sneaking up on anyone. Northwestern is equally as challenging but they lack the program support that the other 3 have.

Will this team be good enough to find ways to win these difficult games while also breaking 4 different extended losing streaks; Wisconsin, PSU, Northwestern & Purdue. These teams are on at least a 2 game winning streak against us.

I’m excited about this season too and this type of setup intrigues me. If this team finds a way to navigate 9/10+ wins and break some of these losing streaks the program will have earned something this year. I just need to see it as there have been too many times we’ve lost these kind of games where I walk out of Kinnick wondering how the heck did we lose that one. Last year has numerous examples.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: kceasthawk

Should he win a game before equality is established between the 2 programs?

Reactions: owenhawk
Magical seasons happen and what we think based on what we know right now can & will change a lot as the season plays out for our team and our opponents. Injuries happen, turmoil happens, confidence can rise & fall, surprise players emerge, etc. All aspects that are hard to predict that factor in over a season.

This program is very, very sound as we can bank on 6-8 wins every single year. It’s to the point that true critics want to label it as mediocre when that’s not the case. Often they just want to take a shot and there’s nothing really to take a shot at so they invent a narrative. Consistent winning over a long period of time is very difficult. I don’t want my posts to be misconstrued or labeled as negative because I have concerns about going from 6-8 wins, to that special / magical season this year. It’s not easy to win P5 games and win B1G games including beating our West opponents who we see every year & know us.

The ISU game this year will be a great first barometer on how this team handles challenge and adversity. Campbell expects victory this year after 3 defeats and ISU fans are not only demanding it, after 4 consecutive losses but counting on it on their way to a Big12 championship this year. They believe this is going to prove that they are a top 10 team and the far superior program. This is exactly the kind of stakes we are going to face several times on the road this season with Michigan, Wisconsin & Nebraska. Iowa does not get the luxury of sneaking up on anyone. Northwestern is equally as challenging but they lack the program support that the other 3 have.

Will this team be good enough to find ways to win these difficult games while also breaking 4 different extended losing streaks; Wisconsin, PSU, Northwestern & Purdue. These teams are on at least a 2 game winning streak against us.

I’m excited about this season too and this type of setup intrigues me. If this team finds a way to navigate 9/10+ wins and break some of these losing streaks the program will have earned something this year. I just need to see it as there have been too many times we’ve lost these kind of games where I walk out of Kinnick wondering how the heck did we lose that one. Last year has numerous examples.

Go Hawks!
Well said, And1.....

Homer, does NW have superior WRs or schemes than Iowa? Wondering why Iowa doesn’t spread teams out to get the same “6 in the box”?

Iowa plays Michigan, Wisconsin, ISU, Northwestern, and Nebraska on the road this year. It could also be argued that Nebraska might be the easiest game we have on the road this year.

All tough games. I say Nebraska for several reasons. Frost's team will improve more than any in the West from week 1-13...it's just part of where they are as a program. They'll be loaded up to take us down after losing 4 in a row. Most of all, it'll be the last week of the regular season and there will be something big at stake...for one or both teams...possibly a berth in the B1G title game.

You could suggest some of the above about all of those road games, but the last week of the season angle tips the scale IMHO.

Hawks play the west teams on the road every other year. Same with the Clown . So Nate and every other 3 year starter have played in those stadiums already. And the Mildcats game is a home game in Chicago. As others have said, we are in Michaigns head. Like JoPa in Pedd State the first decade of this century. Double digits for the taking. Ghosts of 2015 will make them selves known if Iowa gets to November with no losses.

Sedge.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer

That was last year. My post was more like a prediction if anything. I guess I should have made that more clear.

You're forgetting about NWs "superback." It's part of their way of being multiple personnel-wise. The blocking is closer to 6 on 6 ... and they do a healthy dose of read-option ... wherein the D has to account for an extra gap due to the QB ... which can sometimes allow them to get away with an unblocked DE ... potentially leaving them with the hat advantage of 6 on 5.

Homer, does NW have superior WRs or schemes than Iowa? Wondering why Iowa doesn’t spread teams out to get the same “6 in the box”?
Northwestern is somewhat unique in what they do ... I expect that they schematically do what they do to compensate for personnel shortcomings that they have on the OL. (Check how many elite O-linemen NW routinely produces)

Iowa would be less likely to do what NW does simply due to Ferentz's philosophy of developing NFL caliber O-linemen.

It's fascinating that philosophically NW and Iowa are almost identical ... they both value offensive ballance, they just achieve it in radically different ways. Northwestern's O is predicated upon a highly efficient short passing game that is an immediate extension of the running game AND the usage of a mobile QB to find numbers advantages in the running game (and to extend passing plays).

Few offenses are willing to dink-and-dunk you to death ... due to the inherent sloppiness of college football. NW excels by out-executing their opponents and seizing opportunities when they arise.

Reactions: Pepperman
Northwestern's O is predicated upon a highly efficient short passing game that is an immediate extension of the running game AND the usage of a mobile QB to find numbers advantages in the running game (and to extend passing plays).

Few offenses are willing to dink-and-dunk you to death ... due to the inherent sloppiness of college football. NW excels by out-executing their opponents and seizing opportunities when they arise.

I completely agree and was asking somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

I'm frustrated with Iowa's struggles in the run game. I get that we can blame poor interior line play, and the stable RBs is full of decent (but not great) players. And I also get that the WRs haven't been that great either... but one thing that stands out to me is Iowa plays in a freaking phone booth where I see other teams spreading things out and concentrating their plays into the hands of playmakers. I wish Iowa did more of that.

I want to believe. I really do. But I think we are looking at 7-5 and a December bowl game at best. That said, there is not a game on the schedule we cannot win. And, let’s face it, there is also not a game on the schedule we cannot lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT