ADVERTISEMENT

Carton vs Turk. Who do you got?

After the results today, I would say Carton, but I don't know much about the quality of opponents they faced

Turk's offense is definitely explosive at times but defense is really lacking. Best to not judge him based off of his redshirt year. I think he will have a very nice career for us.

Reactions: wasdt21
Carton
Turk is good, but where did the "second coming of Lincoln Mcllravey" type of hype talk come from?
The kid has a ways to go and in no ways do I believe Brands was even remotely close to pulling his shirt.

I don't think the door is closed yet. If he beats Carton and finishes strong at this tourney, and Brody ends up not being able to go for some reason, I thin he still needs to be strongly considered.

I want Topher in a hard fought close win. I just don't want to see Vince bust his redshirt year.

Even if Turk wins he won't get his shirt pulled. He got lit up by ashnault. If he can't compete with the top then the 2 points he might contribute at nationals isn't worth burning his shirt. Tom knows that.

I want Topher in a hard fought close win. I just don't want to see Vince bust his redshirt year.
I'll counter that with Turk wins convincingly, has a better showing vs Ashnault on the backside and a "pull the shirt" thread quickly overtakes the Grothus thread.

Good one Slim, they're both from IL. Too bad your boy and the gophers aren't here at midlands. hows the gophers looking for the scuffle?
Yea it was a big disappointment to local family/friends when the Gopher redshirts were denied entry. For about 8 months I had planned to hit Midlands and then drive up for the Clash... Oh well, never been to the Scuffle so it should be fun. Gophers are healthier than they've been at any other point this year so we'll see where the young men are at in their progression this weekend.

I agree with Sander. I was surprised at all the unheeded hype Turk was getting to start the preseason. Puts pressure on the kid. Might slight other kids in the room. It was all based off his looks in practice against his own squad. Seems it was just people searching for headlines if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I like Turk, and wish him the next 4 undefeated national titles, but what we got was headline grabbing hype. Again, that isn't a knock on Turk, but a knock on those heaping that hype on him too early, based on room wrestling.

I agree with Sander. I was surprised at all the unheeded hype Turk was getting to start the preseason. Puts pressure on the kid. Might slight other kids in the room. It was all based off his looks in practice against his own squad. Seems it was just people searching for headlines if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, I like Turk, and wish him the next 4 undefeated national titles, but what we got was headline grabbing hype. Again, that isn't a knock on Turk, but a knock on those heaping that hype on him too early, based on room wrestling.
And he's now the 773rd wrestler from Iowa in the last 30 years to go from wrestling room champ to exposed in a real tournament. Nothing to see here. There will be others, sooner rather than later I assure you. You can either sort thru the bullshit or you can't, so that's on the individual, IMHO of course.

I tend to believe what I see with my own two eyes, and even then sometimes it ends up being a mirage......................;)

Turk needs to wrestle with more purpose. He has the tools but he's not aggressive enough and doesn't wrestle hard for 7 minutes. I noted this in his previous matches and the same thing played out with Carton.

Reactions: dirt33
Turk needs to wrestle with more purpose. He has the tools but he's not aggressive enough and doesn't wrestle hard for 7 minutes. I noted this in his previous matches and the same thing played out with Carton.
Agree. Nice double leg. Like Cooper, doesn't get to it enough.

Neither kid looked like they could defend a shot that match. They both need to keep pulling the trigger to keep guys off of their legs.

Reactions: AFHawk86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT