ADVERTISEMENT

Cash will be on the pine next year!

Change my mind! Slow feet Abe will eat him up.
Might happen, but as I've said with most higher weight guys... typically don't have the depth of quality in high school wrestling. If Assad is better, maybe after Midlands next winter.

Dont see it happening, Cash does just enough to get by. If theres on guy on the team I wish I could replace it would be him.

A fifth-year senior versus a true freshman in this case. U are clueless!!!!

This. Wilcke is going to horse all but the most elite and most technical true freshman around. Not saying he's putting up techs against them, but Cash is a brute and that strength is going to be hard for an 18 year old to match. Weird thread anyway. Cash is an impressive Hawk imo. Iowan. Not highly ranked coming out of HS. Consistently has improved year after year. Never a complaint from him. Stoic type. Even when he wins the most you'll see is a flex.

I'm not anti celebration but it is getting worn these days. Too many guys doing fortnight emote style celebrations on the mat after a dual win.

This. Wilcke is going to horse all but the most elite and most technical true freshman around. Not saying he's putting up techs against them, but Cash is a brute and that strength is going to be hard for an 18 year old to match. Weird thread anyway. Cash is an impressive Hawk imo. Iowan. Not highly ranked coming out of HS. Consistently has improved year after year. Never a complaint from him. Stoic type. Even when he wins the most you'll see is a flex.

I'm not anti celebration but it is getting worn these days. Too many guys doing fortnight emote style celebrations on the mat after a dual win.

Someone better drop the L’s at nationals.

Right now, I don't see him doing any better than round of 12. Round of 12, round of 12, and round of 12. Where is the improvement?

Strongly disagree. His mat wrestling is dramatically improved and he has expanded his arsenal from neutral. His isn’t the most active guy but he has definitely improved, hopefully it translates to the mat this postseason.

Strongly disagree. His mat wrestling is dramatically improved and he has expanded his arsenal from neutral. His isn’t the most active guy but he has definitely improved, hopefully it translates to the mat this postseason.
OK, predict how he will place at Nationals.

The eyeball test does not override results. And, frankly, my eyeballs detect no difference in his wrestling.

I am sorry but frustration gets me with Cash if he kept his shoelaces up on his shots he would finish a hell of a lot more shots. Maybe it isn't slow feet but it gives that look.

I would be shocked if Cash is a AA. With that being said he has improved some just not a AA in my mind yet.

Reactions: el dub
Right now, I don't see him doing any better than round of 12. Round of 12, round of 12, and round of 12. Where is the improvement?
This can be true even if he's improved. He has moved into a much deeper weight class. That matters a lot.

The eyeball test does not override results. And, frankly, my eyeballs detect no difference in his wrestling.
Eyeball test doesn't override results? Ultimately, isn't it all about the results?
Come on, man. I'm not his biggest fan and get as frustrated as anyone, but he's definitely better than he was last season. So far he's literally cut his loses in half this year and he's nearly matched his total points output in 8 less matches wrestled. Even if he matches his his W/L from last year's post season he finishes 23-9. If you had known that going into this year, you would've gladly taken it. So, If you can't detect a noticeable gain in his performance than you sir, need to get your eyes examined.

Eyeball test doesn't override results? Ultimately, isn't it all about the results?
Come on, man. I'm not his biggest fan and get as frustrated as anyone, but he's definitely better than he was last season. So far he's literally cut his loses in half this year and he's nearly matched his total points output in 8 less matches wrestled. Even if he matches his his W/L from last year's post season he finishes 23-9. If you had known that going into this year, you would've gladly taken it. So, If you can't detect a noticeable gain in his performance than you sir, need to get your eyes examined.

Not to mention getting a win over a legit top 5 guy.

Not to mention getting a win over a legit top 5 guy.
I meant to mention that in my original rambling and realized I didn't after I hit reply. Thank you for bringing that up. Last year there's no way he wins that match. And he may not again, but at least he has the potential this time around.

Reactions: MVPFAN

Cut his losses in half? He has four losses - exactly what he had last year going into Big Tens.

He still shows a lot of skills against weak opponents and holds back against top 20 guys. He looks to me like the same guy we’ve seen.

That win over Venz looked like an improvement over his early season loss to Sammy Colbray to me. Cash can certainly win some close ones on the backside of a bracket and finish in the 6-8 range. Especially if he decides to shoot

I'm starting to think the win over Venz was a rare event. Haven't seen a lot to give us confidence, but I hope he shines. Physically, he's as able as anyone.

Last edited:
In this game, the only measuring stick for improvment is wins and losses - no participation trophies.
Good lord, not much going on upstairs for you is there? I'll break it down for you:

I'm a true freshman and I go 15-2 wrestling in small open tournaments in the freshman/sophomore division. I work hard all year and offseason and get significantly better and earn my way into the lineup for the hawks. Now I'm wrestling the big ten schedule and I finish 10-7. I'm a significantly better wrestler, but my record is worse because my competition is way better.

Fwiw though, Wilcke is also improved by your own metric. His win % is better and he has better wins than he's ever had. He has 3 losses. 2 of those are are by 1 point, the other by 3. 2 of those 3 are All Americans and the other just defeated an All American this week and is his team's most improved wrestler.

Btw, you're welcome to start paying attention to/researching actual results instead of just shooting at the hip after a few cold ones.

That win over Venz looked like an improvement over his early season loss to Sammy Colbray to me. Cash can certainly win some close ones on the backside of a bracket and finish in the 6-8 range. Especially if he decides to shoot
As bad as it looked at the time, the Colbray loss doesn't even look that bad now. He's emerged as a legit AA challenger, ranked 11th by flo.

Reactions: andegre
Good lord, not much going on upstairs for you is there? I'll break it down for you:

I'm a true freshman and I go 15-2 wrestling in small open tournaments in the freshman/sophomore division. I work hard all year and offseason and get significantly better and earn my way into the lineup for the hawks. Now I'm wrestling the big ten schedule and I finish 10-7. I'm a significantly better wrestler, but my record is worse because my competition is way better.

Fwiw though, Wilcke is also improved by your own metric. His win % is better and he has better wins than he's ever had. He has 3 losses. 2 of those are are by 1 point, the other by 3. 2 of those 3 are All Americans and the other just defeated an All American this week and is his team's most improved wrestler.

Btw, you're welcome to start paying attention to/researching actual results instead of just shooting at the hip after a few cold ones.
It is scary that he is an official. I bet he "teaches" a lot of coaches lessons.

Change my mind! Slow feet Abe will eat him up.
I'm with most of the others...not going to happen. I despise his style (hand fight until the 3rd period and then hope things go your way), but I think he will do what needs to be done to AA this year. And with five seniors graduating from the weight class, he should be able to AA again next year. Just don't see Brands pulling the RS unless the kid does something phenomenal at Midlands. And then I think it would only happen if we were in true contention for a championship, which might be a possibility if Kem is 100% and everyone else is healthy.

In this game, the only measuring stick for improvment is wins and losses - no participation trophies.
I say this and js responds by saying this -

Your analogy doesn't hold water. Cash has been a starter and not doing the JV circuit. Nationals will still be Nationals. His win loss/placing there and at Big Tens is our measuring stick. Also, don't forget that Iowa had a dismal schedule this year - uneventful until the end and Iowa wrestled like they hadn't seen good competition all year long.

Congratulations on your Participation Trophy. You deserve it. ;)

Wilke was R12 as a freshman, R12 as a soph, and is currently ranked #15 as a junior. Skill-wise he looks a lot better, but in terms of his match strategy and most critically in terms of NCAA points, not so much (but fingers crossed). It's certainly reasonable to think that a true freshman stud is good enough to take out a #15 guy, because it happens frequently. We won't really know enough about Assad until we see him in action at the college level, but currently he's not top 10 P4P and only #4 at his weight among high schoolers. So is he the guy to do it? Who knows at this point? Who cares at this point?

I say this and js responds by saying this -

Your analogy doesn't hold water. Cash has been a starter and not doing the JV circuit. Nationals will still be Nationals. His win loss/placing there and at Big Tens is our measuring stick. Also, don't forget that Iowa had a dismal schedule this year - uneventful until the end and Iowa wrestled like they hadn't seen good competition all year long.

Congratulations on your Participation Trophy. You deserve it. ;)

Again, you're not understanding the point. Cash can be improved from last year and still finish R12 because 184 is significantly deeper than 197 was last year. You can't act like he is being measured against the same field this year. That matters.

Wilke was R12 as a freshman, R12 as a soph, and is currently ranked #15 as a junior. Skill-wise he looks a lot better, but in terms of his match strategy and most critically in terms of NCAA points, not so much (but fingers crossed). It's certainly reasonable to think that a true freshman stud is good enough to take out a #15 guy, because it happens frequently. We won't really know enough about Assad until we see him in action at the college level, but currently he's not top 10 P4P and only #4 at his weight among high schoolers. So is he the guy to do it? Who knows at this point? Who cares at this point?

Again, the composition of the weight matters. You can't just compare rankings between two different weight classes and act like they're the same. If Wilcke was still wrestling 197 he'd almost definitely be ranked in the top 10. In fact, he beat #3 Pat Brucki at Midlands last year. As much as we have been critical of Warner this year, he is still ranked 5th at 197, not because he has lit the world on fire, but because the weight is very weak. 7th ranked 197 Jay Aiello from UVA finished 13-15 last year.

In terms of Assad's potential, I'm cautiously optimistic, but we should also recognize that most of his hype came from one tournament where he upset 3 wrestlers ranked higher than him (Kennedy, Starocci, and Ramirez) in very tight matches. Since then, he's taken a couple losses to lower ranked competition who have been able to expose some of his offensive limitations. I like Assad as a recruit, but he strikes me as someone who really needs a redshirt. He's a brawler, but he's not going to come in and be able to out-brawl good 184s, Wilcke included. He will need to get much more technical on his feet and better on the mat to succeed. He strikes me as a work horse, so I think he will, but not fast enough to justify benching a guy like Wilcke, who admittedly isn't elite, but is serviceable and capable of beating good guys if he's on. I think Assad will have a very similar career as Sammy Brooks had.

Again, you're not understanding the point. Cash can be improved from last year and still finish R12 because 184 is significantly deeper than 197 was last year. You can't act like he is being measured against the same field this year. That matters.
You don't seem to understand. The ONLY measuring that amounts to a hill of beans is SUCCESS. Moral victories are for Participation Recipients. My eyeball test says he hasn't improved. Your eyeball test says he has. Results are non subjective.

You don't seem to understand. The ONLY measuring that amounts to a hill of beans is SUCCESS. Moral victories are for Participation Recipients. My eyeball test says he hasn't improved. Your eyeball test says he has. Results are non subjective.
Correct. Results are not subjective. Cash was 19-13 and got 8th at big tens as a freshman, 21-8 and got 6th at big tens as a sophomore, and is 17-4 this year. That sure looks like improvement but what do I know?

Correct. Results are not subjective. Cash was 19-13 and got 8th at big tens as a freshman, 21-8 and got 6th at big tens as a sophomore, and is 17-4 this year. That sure looks like improvement but what do I know?
You will know plenty 3 weeks from now. Be patient. BTW, I am rooting for him, I just don't think he gets it done.

"Moral victories are for Participation Recipients." You may want to try your hand at that sentence again. My analysis has nothing to do with an eye test, it's about results which, as you admit, are not subjective. He has better wins and no bad losses so far at 184. That doesn't guarantee he performs better at NCAAs because 184 is way tougher than 197. I hope your profession doesn't require serious critical thinking skills.

"Moral victories are for Participation Recipients." You may want to try your hand at that sentence again. My analysis has nothing to do with an eye test, it's about results which, as you admit, are not subjective. He has better wins and no bad losses so far at 184. That doesn't guarantee he performs better at NCAAs because 184 is way tougher than 197. I hope your profession doesn't require serious critical thinking skills.
Excellent. We agree. In a couple days, I'll post my annual Big Ten Pick'em Contest. At least pick where each Hawk will place. Thank you.

Yes, he’s 17-4. Want to go back and check his record last year going into BIGS?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT