ADVERTISEMENT

CBKReport: The Top 100 College Basketball Players for next season.

I'm not surprised Kris and Perkins made that list. Somewhat surprised PMAC did. Who knows, all three might take big steps this season and play better than expected.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Any list with Boo Buie at 55 is questionable. Can g but takes questionable shots and is not team oriented.

I’m obviously a homer but there are a number of players on that list who would not start at Illinois. No Matt Mayer? No one would take Buie over Mayer on a winning team.

Reactions: CookyMonster
Tony is the one who surprised me by being on this list. PMac has the height and handles at 6'9" to be on these lists. Kris, of course. Great to see all 3 names!
It is good to those three names on that list. I thought Tony really flashed the second of the season and that is why he makes the list. This year, those three need to be leaders and play the best basketball they can. I believe they will.

Reactions: Torg and Hawksfor3
Tony is the one who surprised me by being on this list. PMac has the height and handles at 6'9" to be on these lists. Kris, of course. Great to see all 3 names!
Agreed. I hope he does great, but I'd say TP has the lowest ceiling of the three players. I know people want to dismiss, "the coaches kid" just because, but there were several non BIG announcers during games last year that were very high on PMAC's potential. You have to remember he's still growing onto that 6'9" frame from an endurance and strength perspective because of his middle school bout with cancer. Last season was his first year to really start playing regularly and gain confidence at this level. I really think he's going to have a big year this season.

It is good to those three names on that list. I thought Tony really flashed the second of the season and that is why he makes the list. This year, those three need to be leaders and play the best basketball they can. I believe they will.
Yep, add Sandfort and you have four guys who could take the end-of-game shot. Nice spot to be in, assuming we end up with at least one true alpha (hopefully Kris but not sure yet).

I won't be surprised if PS is better than pmac by the end of the year.

Really hope Kris makes a huge leap this year. Top priority should be avoiding silly fouls!

Reactions: ZumaHawk
There is probably no bigger homer than me……with that being said I have never felt Pmac has had good handles! I’m pulling for him and my Hawkeyes but again, he seems to lose the ball too often! Hoping this is his year after all he’s gone through.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
There is probably no bigger homer than me……with that being said I have never felt Pmac has had good handles! I’m pulling for him and my Hawkeyes but again, he seems to lose the ball too often! Hoping this is his year after all he’s gone through.
PMac had the 2nd best TOV % and TOs per 100 possessions on the team. You are wrong.

The B1G has definitely lost a lot of prime time talent. I could see no big ten teams making the sweet 16 and some young talent taking over staring roles in the league.

Patrick sometimes takes awkward shots going to the basket, but I don't think he turns it over a lot.

To me, some of those awkward shots are just another form of turnover.
Why I mentioned it. Besides getting stronger and showing more aggression on defense and on the boards, Patrick can work on minimizing low percentage shots. He takes more shots headed toward the basket falling to the left but shooting with his right hand than any player I can remember. It looks impressive when it goes on, but usually that is not a good shot.

Reactions: iabcuda
To me, some of those awkward shots are just another form of turnover.
Well from that perspective you could conceivably call every missed shot a turnover. IMO, Patrick's defense and rebounding have not been good so far, and I don't know if those aspects of his game will ever be as good as we'd like, but he was a good offensive player last year and has shown signs that he could be a very good offensive player. If he can improve on the defensive side and on the glass he can be a huge asset this year. If he can't improve those facets of his game his positive impact on the offensive side of the ball will be negated to an extent.

Well from that perspective you could conceivably call every missed shot a turnover. IMO, Patrick's defense and rebounding have not been good so far, and I don't know if those aspects of his game will ever be as good as we'd like, but he was a good offensive player last year and has shown signs that he could be a very good offensive player. If he can improve on the defensive side and on the glass he can be a huge asset this year. If he can't improve those facets of his game his positive impact on the offensive side of the ball will be negated to an extent.
Good objective analysis......I'm a big Patrick fan and can see the potential that he has. We all know by now the set backs and challenges he has faced physically (at least what has been out in the public forum) and I don't know how that couldn't affect his development.

That said, he looked bigger and stronger this last year and will hopefully take another step forward this year.

**I think that one of the conundrums a coach faces with a player like this, is that when you try to infuse confidence in both the individual players and the team, you have to put up with some quirks in order to let them blossom....I think that Fran is doing that with Patrick on some of those shots, because I guarantee that he makes a good number of them in practice and pick up games ets.......or he wouldn't be shooting them.

Good objective analysis......I'm a big Patrick fan and can see the potential that he has. We all know by now the set backs and challenges he has faced physically (at least what has been out in the public forum) and I don't know how that couldn't affect his development.

That said, he looked bigger and stronger this last year and will hopefully take another step forward this year.

**I think that one of the conundrums a coach faces with a player like this, is that when you try to infuse confidence in both the individual players and the team, you have to put up with some quirks in order to let them blossom....I think that Fran is doing that with Patrick on some of those shots, because I guarantee that he makes a good number of them in practice and pick up games ets.......or he wouldn't be shooting them.
I'm a big fan of anyone who's gone through what Patrick has gone through and I also believe that his body has been and continues to be impacted by all of it. I was actually surprised by the physical maturity we saw last year given all of that. IMO he has the athleticism to play much better defense and be a more aggressive rebounder than he has shown. The question with Patrick is will he. If so this might actually be a decent defensive squad relative to what we've seen over the last several years. We don't have disrupters like Joe was, but Kris, Perkins and Ulis are all very good defenders and Rebraca is a willing defender/rebounder with a year of B1G play under his belt. Patrick needs to step it up and Fran needs to make it more of a point of emphasis if that's going to come to fruition.

I'm a big fan of anyone who's gone through what Patrick has gone through and I also believe that his body has been and continues to be impacted by all of it. I was actually surprised by the physical maturity we saw last year given all of that. IMO he has the athleticism to play much better defense and be a more aggressive rebounder than he has shown. The question with Patrick is will he. If so this might actually be a decent defensive squad relative to what we've seen over the last several years. We don't have disrupters like Joe was, but Kris, Perkins and Ulis are all very good defenders and Rebraca is a willing defender/rebounder with a year of B1G play under his belt. Patrick needs to step it up and Fran needs to make it more of a point of emphasis if that's going to come to fruition.

I wonder if we'll see a ripple effect with our defense (in a good way) with Jbo gone.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
PMac should be living in the weight room this off-season…… kid has a ton of potential if he could get a little stronger he could be really good….. I think he’s going to play in the NBA

• Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
PMac should be living in the weight room this off-season…… kid has a ton of potential if he could get a little stronger he could be really good….. I think he’s going to play in the NBA
I have a feeling that he'll be splitting time between the weight room and the gym, putting up shots and improving his handles. He needs to get stronger and improve his core strength so that he doesn't get knocked around so much on his drives. That would help 90% of his "off-balance" shot issues.

Reactions: natchrlman
I am looking forward to next years team quite a bit. The good news about those three mentioned is they all have quite a bit of experience under their belt at this time. It will be interesting to see who on the roster makes a jump next year. It's unfair to expect anyone to make a leap like Keegan made from his freshman to sophomore year or what Luka did his sophomore to junior year. They won't all happen, but I am hopeful multiple good things happen over the off-season such as:

- One of the big guys steps up and is able to provide consistent minutes which would allow Rebraca to play alongside them and not seem so undersized in that 5 spot. I respect what Rebraca did last year and he was valuable, but just seemed not quite at the level of some of the guys he went against.

-When Perkins stepped into a starting role his confidence went way up. Will he take another jump going into this season where he should count on consistent minutes from the start?

-Sandfort- flashed in limited minutes last year. Could he be a consistent threat?

-Will Connor's 3 point shot be more consistent with a healthy off season and no baseball?

-Ulis- does he have it in him to grab that pg role now that Joe T is gone?

-Kris Murray- certainly its unfair to expect him to do exactly what Keegan did, but his talent and work ethic will no doubt lead him to be one of the better players in the Big 10.... just a question of what level will he reach.

I am looking forward to next years team quite a bit. The good news about those three mentioned is they all have quite a bit of experience under their belt at this time. It will be interesting to see who on the roster makes a jump next year. It's unfair to expect anyone to make a leap like Keegan made from his freshman to sophomore year or what Luka did his sophomore to junior year. They won't all happen, but I am hopeful multiple good things happen over the off-season such as:

- One of the big guys steps up and is able to provide consistent minutes which would allow Rebraca to play alongside them and not seem so undersized in that 5 spot. I respect what Rebraca did last year and he was valuable, but just seemed not quite at the level of some of the guys he went against.

-When Perkins stepped into a starting role his confidence went way up. Will he take another jump going into this season where he should count on consistent minutes from the start?

-Sandfort- flashed in limited minutes last year. Could he be a consistent threat?

-Will Connor's 3 point shot be more consistent with a healthy off season and no baseball?

-Kris Murray- certainly its unfair to expect him to do exactly what Keegan did, but his talent and work ethic will no doubt lead him to be one of the better players in the Big 10.... just a question of what level will he reach.
Good stuff......I can't wait for the season!

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild

I also think that he took less of those shots as the season went on. Maybe the light came on for him, or maybe, Dad had a conversation with Pat, but he played more under control down the stretch and in both tourneys...

How do we know it won't happen? After his time in the NBA camp it wouldn't surprise me to see Kris take a big jump. Between what he says he learned there, (supposedly he shown out very well), and obviously he's going to get the needed minutes to be a go to player. I'm not saying he'll be 23 and 8 every night, but who knows. What we DO know is that Fran runs a system for his go to guy, (usually a stretch 4 type player), to take whatever he can from where ever he can. Kris will have a big year. I totally expect he'll be 1st team all BIG this season...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT