ADVERTISEMENT

Cesspool Film Rankings and Thinkings

vhsalum

HR MVP
Nov 14, 2002
Well, its about time you cesspool degenerates actually get to a topic outside of politics and wrestling that's interesting.

With MSU1458's HORRIBLE take on where Quentin Tarantino's foot fetish films fall in the pantheon of cinema, it's high time the cesspool has a dedicated post on the topic.

My Top 4 directors of all time:

Akira Kurosawa (the absolute father of film)
Kubrick
Hitchcock
Nolan

Hard for me to leave out Tarantino and Scorsese. But they're 5 & 6 for me. Scorsese is a bit overrated to me, but Godfather 1 & 2, might literally be the two best movies of all time.

Tarantino and Scorsese
They need to learn how to edit themselves.

Furthermore, Tarantino seems way too self-indulgent. Too many films drag on in an obvious ploy to build up to some scene he envisioned in his mind that would be interesting to put in a film (i.e. comes cross as contrived).

Nolan seems similarly self-indulgent. Good directors don't employ character dialog as exposition to explain WTF is going on. That's Nolan's biggest weakness. He can't tell a story thru cinema (scenes, sequence, acting) without tons of expository dialog.

Can't argue with Kurasowa, Kubrick, or Hitchcock. Regardless, I'm personally a Wes Anderson fan. I also like screenplays by Charlie Kaufman. Haven't seen a Anderson or Kaufman film that I wouldn't watch again. In contrast, I would never sit thru "Hateful 8," "Inglorious Basterds," or "Django Unchained," or "Kill Bills" more than once.

Last edited:

Furthermore, Tarantino seems way too self-indulgent. Too many films drag on in an obvious ploy to build up to some scene he envisioned in his mind that would be interesting to put in a film (i.e. comes cross as contrived).

Nolan seems similarly self-indulgent. Good directors don't employ character dialog as exposition to explain WTF is going on. That's Nolan's biggest weakness. He can't tell a story thru cinema (scenes, sequence, acting) without tons of expository dialog.

Can't argue with Kurasowa, Kubrick, or Hitchcock. Regardless, I'm personally a Wes Anderson fan. I also like screenplays by Charlie Kaufman. Haven't seen a Anderson or Kaufman film that I wouldn't watch again. In contrast, I would never sit thru "Hateful 8," "Inglorious Basterds," or "Django Inchained," or "Kill Bills" more than once.
Yeah. there's a lot of truth in there. Have you seen Oppenheimer? I think Nolan did a great job of not giving exposition there and had some really great dialogue that most of films don't have.

The best guys are EXTREMELY self-indulgent. Hitchcock and his 700 takes, Kubrick just being an azz - I don't think that should be a slight. They're great because of their obsessiveness. Tarantino - i guess you could call it contrived, but to me, it comes across as his love of film. And the dialogue? I could (and do) watch Django Unchained and Inglorius Basterds repeatedly. The Hood scene in Django deserves its own hallway in the Smithsonian. And Tarantino really gets a lot out of his actors.

Hateful 8 was trash, but I get what he was trying to do.

Wes Anderson makes movies for Wes Anderson, and I guess it's not my taste. I understand he's on the list for best directors - but man, all of his moves FEEL the same.

Can't argue with Kurasowa, Kubrick, or Hitchcock. Regardless, I'm personally a Wes Anderson fan. I also like screenplays by Charlie Kaufman. Haven't seen a Anderson or Kaufman film that I wouldn't watch again. In contrast, I would never sit thru "Hateful 8," "Inglorious Basterds," or "Django Inchained," or "Kill Bills" more than once.
I’ve watched Pulp Fiction over 50 times. “English muthaf*cka! Do you speak it?” So good

Coen brothers

steve buscemi lol GIF by Maudit

o brother GIF by hero0fwar

javier bardem murder GIF

the dude your opinion GIF

Have you seen Oppenheimer? I think Nolan did a great job of not giving exposition there and had some really great dialogue

Haven't seen it yet. If this is the case, maybe he's learned and improved. Then again, I'd hope most are familiar with Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project - making exposition wholly unnecessary. Eventually I'll watch it. Been hearing good things about it.

Last edited:
A little OT: Wife (no pics) and son are in Reno for a job interview my son has. Went to see "Sound of Freedom" last night.
They both said great movie, must see.

Reactions: Grip220 and vhsalum
Yeah. there's a lot of truth in there. Have you seen Oppenheimer? I think Nolan did a great job of not giving exposition there and had some really great dialogue that most of films don't have.

The best guys are EXTREMELY self-indulgent. Hitchcock and his 700 takes, Kubrick just being an azz - I don't think that should be a slight. They're great because of their obsessiveness. Tarantino - i guess you could call it contrived, but to me, it comes across as his love of film. And the dialogue? I could (and do) watch Django Unchained and Inglorius Basterds repeatedly. The Hood scene in Django deserves its own hallway in the Smithsonian. And Tarantino really gets a lot out of his actors.

Hateful 8 was trash, but I get what he was trying to do.

Wes Anderson makes movies for Wes Anderson, and I guess it's not my taste. I understand he's on the list for best directors - but man, all of his moves FEEL the same.
So? No hoods this time, and full regalia next time.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum

Can't argue with Kurasowa, Kubrick, or Hitchcock. Regardless, I'm personally a Wes Anderson fan. I also like screenplays by Charlie Kaufman. Haven't seen a Anderson or Kaufman film that I wouldn't watch again. In contrast, I would never sit thru "Hateful 8," "Inglorious Basterds," or "Django I
Unchained," or "Kill Bills" more than once.
Are you talking about editing their screenplay or the actual film itself? Because those are two very different things with a different set of skills and technical know-how.
I've been in the industry for 14 years now, with 9 of those working as an Assistant Director (though I may finally be transitioning out as I want to finally have a LIFE.) 80 hours a week is not my idea of a life, regardless of the pay and insurance. Plus you can work for 18 months straight then have several months off because there's simply nothing filming. And the working conditions are awful, so there's a very valid reason why SAG and WGA are on strike and the entire machine has grinded to a halt.

But I'll tell you, there are few director's that aren't self-indulgent or egocentric. You almost have to be to get to the top... just like all elite wrestlers have an ego, at least to some extent. You have to to get where they're at.

Furthermore, i truly think your misinterpreting Tarantino. Much of his dialog is laced with pop culture references, while also paying tribute to his predecessors that inspired him.
You claim he can't tell a story without dialog, but that's also what makes him unique and popular because he's one of the very few that actually CAN tell an entertaining narrative without relying on CGI and mindless action (which I personally don't have a problem with).

Side note, I'm currently watching Boardwalk Empire and one of the creators/ writers, Terence Winter, mentioned that he hates using flashbacks when dialog can tell the story. It's all personal preference. You either like it or you don't.

Whereas you don't like QT I actually cannot stand Wes Anderson. I find his movies to be boring not only to listen to, but watch. Everything from the over-use of symmetrical framing, flat colors, and frequent snap zooms. 10 minutes in and I have my phone open reading wrestling threads.

I find it very hard to watch things nowadays without thinking about the logistics: framing, extras, continuity. Nothing pulls me from a show faster than a terrible cross from a background actor! Honestly, that's why I prefer watching mindless action movies with never ending explosions.

My apologies for the long-winded response, but considering it's my career I wanted to give my unwarranted 2 cents.

BTW - I was called to work on Django back in early 2012 while they were shooting in Louisiana. I didn't want to travel and I was already on some other shitshow so I turned it down... looking back that was probably a mistake haha.

Are you talking about editing their screenplay or the actual film itself? Because those are two very different things with a different set of skills and technical know-how.
I've been in the industry for 14 years now, with 9 of those working as an Assistant Director (though I may finally be transitioning out as I want to finally have a LIFE.) 80 hours a week is not my idea of a life, regardless of the pay and insurance. Plus you can work for 18 months straight then have several months off because there's simply nothing filming. And the working conditions are awful, so there's a very valid reason why SAG and WGA are on strike and the entire machine has grinded to a halt.

But I'll tell you, there are few director's that aren't self-indulgent or egocentric. You almost have to be to get to the top... just like all elite wrestlers have an ego, at least to some extent. You have to to get where they're at.

Furthermore, i truly think your misinterpreting Tarantino. Much of his dialog is laced with pop culture references, while also paying tribute to his predecessors that inspired him.
You claim he can't tell a story without dialog, but that's also what makes him unique and popular because he's one of the very few that actually CAN tell an entertaining narrative without relying on CGI and mindless action (which I personally don't have a problem with).

Side note, I'm currently watching Boardwalk Empire and one of the creators/ writers, Terence Winter, mentioned that he hates using flashbacks when dialog can tell the story. It's all personal preference. You either like it or you don't.

Whereas you don't like QT I actually cannot stand Wes Anderson. I find his movies to be boring not only to listen to, but watch. Everything from the over-use of symmetrical framing, flat colors, and frequent snap zooms. 10 minutes in and I have my phone open reading wrestling threads.

I find it very hard to watch things nowadays without thinking about the logistics: framing, extras, continuity. Nothing pulls me from a show faster than a terrible cross from a background actor! Honestly, that's why I prefer watching mindless action movies with never ending explosions.

My apologies for the long-winded response, but considering it's my career I wanted to give my unwarranted 2 cents.

BTW - I was called to work on Django back in early 2012 while they were shooting in Louisiana. I didn't want to travel and I was already on some other shitshow so I turned it down... looking back that was probably a mistake haha.
yeah. you're not getting off that easy. Who's your top 4?

And yeah. you messed up not working on Django!

yeah. you're not getting off that easy. Who's your top 4?

And yeah. you messed up not working on Django!
To be fair, Django was on nights when I got the call and doing that for several weeks straight while being away from home sounded like a nightmare. So I stayed with the nightmare I was on.

Oh man... in no particular order I'll give you 5 & this list could change tomorrow!

Michael Mann
Edward Zemeckis
Steven Spielberg
James Cameron
Ridley Scott

Honorable mentions:
QT
Nolan
Tony Scott
David Fincher
Rob Reiner
John McTiernan
Peter Jackson
Edward Zwick (worked with)
Rob Howard (worked with)
Edgar Wright
Michael Bay (guilty pleasure, though I'd NEVER work for him)

There's probably 30 more I could add.

FYI - Zwick and Howard are tiny. If they were in the room in their prime they'd be battling for 125/133.

Holy smokes. Someone really knows what he's talking about. Impressive. Very uncesspoolly.

i truly think your misinterpreting Tarantino. Much of his dialog is laced with pop culture references, while also paying tribute to his predecessors that inspired him.
I understand much of Tarantino's work is homage to certain genre's. I don't have a problem with that. By self-indulgent I mean there is a crescendo scene to which many (not all mind you) of his films build, and the plot appears contrived to me to get to his artistic vision for the scene.

Yes, I like Pulp Fiction #1, Reservoir Dogs #2, and Jackie Brown # 3 of his films. The rest fall below in my opinion. Just a matter of taste.

You claim he can't tell a story without dialog, but that's also what makes him unique and popular because he's one of the very few that actually CAN tell an entertaining narrative without relying on CGI and mindless action
I only claimed Christopher Nolan couldn't tell story without expository dialog. I didn't impugn Tarrantino that way, although Good Fellas (Scorsese) similarly suffered, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
I understand much of Tarantino's work is homage to certain genre's. I don't have a problem with that. By self-indulgent I mean there is a crescendo scene to which many (not all mind you) of his films build, and the plot appears contrived to me to get to his artistic vision for the scene.

Yes, I like Pulp Fiction #1, Reservoir Dogs #2, and Jackie Brown # 3 of his films. The rest fall below in my opinion. Just a matter of taste.
Well that's exactly what a director is: it's their artistic vision on display and it's the job of the director, cast and crew to convey that vision on screen. If that vision isn't properly conveyed than the director has failed. There's obviously a crazy dynamic depending on the set, but that's the gist.

Idk. I still don't think his films are contrived, more so exaggerated and hyper-realisitic.

Mundane elements and characters that you think have no story quickly dominate the narrative in extreme ways. While he's not my favorite I can appreciate that there's no one else out there that does so much with so little.

Plus half his career was spent doing indies and being damn successful at it. That's impressive.

Well, its about time you cesspool degenerates actually get to a topic outside of politics and wrestling that's interesting.

With MSU1458's HORRIBLE take on where Quentin Tarantino's foot fetish films fall in the pantheon of cinema, it's high time the cesspool has a dedicated post on the topic.

My Top 4 directors of all time:

Akira Kurosawa (the absolute father of film)
Kubrick
Hitchcock
Nolan

Hard for me to leave out Tarantino and Scorsese. But they're 5 & 6 for me. Scorsese is a bit overrated to me, but Godfather 1 & 2, might literally be the two best movies of all time.
Spot on WRT GF 1 and 2! Doesn’t get any better than that. Also you have to add Francis Ford Coppola into the mix for Apocalypse Now…

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT