ADVERTISEMENT

Cesspool Film Rankings and Thinkings

Interesting to see a thread like this on the GIAOT wrestling boards. A nice change of pace from the normal cesspool.

My two cents, Spielberg is the greatest film director of our lifetimes, maybe the GOAT. I think most of us have forgotten more of his great movies than we can remember. Sure he's had a few stinkers, but they're extremely rare.

Schindler's List alone places him in the pantheon of all-time greatness IMO.

You got it backwards - his EXCEPTIONS are bad. I get that since Lincoln, you could call his movies trash. But the dude has 2 perfect movies (jaws, Jurassic Park).

You might want to take a look at his filmography from 1975-2012. Not sure there's a bad movie in there (indiana and kingdom skulls is a definite exception)
Opinions differ. He's so heavy-handed and so not subtle, and the foreshadowing is so obvious. Not a fan here.

Reactions: vhsalum
Horror movie: Scream series. Crazy about Neve.
Science Fiction: Star Wars, anything Captain America or Batman
Comedy: Vacation Series
Drama: Die Hard Series best movie line ever yippee Kia mother ….
Best villain: Vader or Joker
Best Super Hero: Cap or Batman
Best Sports movie: Miracle close 2nd Hoosiers.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
Interesting to see a thread like this on the GIAOT wrestling boards. A nice change of pace from the normal cesspool.

My two cents, Spielberg is the greatest film director of our lifetimes, maybe the GOAT. I think most of us have forgotten more of his great movies than we can remember. Sure he's had a few stinkers, but they're extremely rare.

Schindler's List alone places him in the pantheon of all-time greatness IMO.
Spielberg is my favorite director for sure. Took western type movies to the next level.

I didn't realize I'm such a simpleton regarding movies! You guys lost me when critiquing directors using language like "exposition" (huhhh??) and "self-indulgent." I've spent my life watching movies without giving much thought to directorial aspects and all the other stuff you mentioned. The only directors I've given any thought to were Hitchcock and Spielberg. Otherwise, I'm simply focused on the plot and acting. Like I said, I guess I'm a simpleton.

With that said, here's a lengthy list (in no particular order) of what I consider to be outstanding movies (with no thought to who directed them).

The Mission
The Sting
Rope
Rear Window
A Few Good Men
Casablanca
The Zookeeper's Wife
The Shawshank Redemption
My Life As A Dog
Field Of Dreams
Forrest Gump
Castaway
The Outsiders
The Motorcycle Diaries
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Empire Of The Sun
Arsenic And Old Lace
Midnight Express
North By Northwest
The Green Mile
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Driving Miss Daisy
The Power Of One
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Salaam Bombay
The Killing Fields
City Of God
Papillon
Finding Forrester
C'mon, C'mon
Blood Diamond
The Man Who Would Be King
12 Angry Men (the original)
The Bridge On The River Kwai
Stand By Me
Titanic
Awakenings
All The President's Men
Good Will Hunting
Silence Of The Lambs
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Life Of Pi
Das Boot
My Dinner With Andre
A Beautiful Mind
The Silence Of The Lambs
This Boy's Life
Hunt For Red October
The Thomas Crown Affair
Seven Years In Tibet
Phenomenon
Central Station (Brazilian movie)

** To my shame, I haven't seen some of the all-time classics such as The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Schindler's List, etc. so they would most likely be on this list.

I didn't realize I'm such a simpleton regarding movies! You guys lost me when critiquing directors using language like "exposition" (huhhh??) and "self-indulgent." I've spent my life watching movies without giving much thought to directorial aspects and all the other stuff you mentioned. The only directors I've given any thought to were Hitchcock and Spielberg. Otherwise, I'm simply focused on the plot and acting. Like I said, I guess I'm a simpleton.

With that said, here's a lengthy list (in no particular order) of what I consider to be outstanding movies (with no thought to who directed them).

The Mission
The Sting
Rope
Rear Window
A Few Good Men
Casablanca
The Zookeeper's Wife
The Shawshank Redemption
My Life As A Dog
Field Of Dreams
Forrest Gump
Castaway
The Outsiders
The Motorcycle Diaries
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Empire Of The Sun
Arsenic And Old Lace
Midnight Express
North By Northwest
The Green Mile
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Driving Miss Daisy
The Power Of One
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
Salaam Bombay
The Killing Fields
City Of God
Papillon
Finding Forrester
C'mon, C'mon
Blood Diamond
The Man Who Would Be King
12 Angry Men (the original)
The Bridge On The River Kwai
Stand By Me
Titanic
Awakenings
All The President's Men
Good Will Hunting
Silence Of The Lambs
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Life Of Pi
Das Boot
My Dinner With Andre
A Beautiful Mind
The Silence Of The Lambs
This Boy's Life
Hunt For Red October
The Thomas Crown Affair
Seven Years In Tibet
Phenomenon
Central Station (Brazilian movie)

** To my shame, I haven't seen some of the all-time classics such as The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Schindler's List, etc. so they would most likely be on this list.
I'm with you, I was surprised by the deep film knowledge floating in the cesspool. Very cool. It's been a nice distraction during the off-season lull. And almost no PSU gadflies to ruin the fun (knock wood).

Also, thanks for this great list of movies! I've seen most, but there are some on there that I've never seen and will put on a list to watch.

Definitely watch the Godfather movies ASAP. First one might be the closest to perfect a movie has ever come. Maybe skip III unless you want something to complain about. Schindler's List is a must watch too imo. Gone With the Wind is interesting but overrated in my book, maybe just too old to resonate with me.

On the topic of movies… I don’t like most flicks based on comics, Marvel or otherwise. Hard pass.

On the other hand, Brother Where Art Though is a favorite movie based on a COMIC of the Iliad by Homer.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
My favorites: Can you guess my age by my movie style?
Braveheart
Green Street Hooligans(Love this movie)
The Big Lebowski
Tombstone
Super Troopers
Snatch
Goodfellas
House of a 100 corpses and Devils rejects
The Hills have Eyes
Warrior(The MMA Movie)
The Program
Vision Quest
Miracle
Old School
Gladiator
Fight Club
The Hangover
Wedding Crashers
Tropic Thunder(So inappropriately funny)
The Avengers series is good
The Batman series with Christian Bale were good.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
My favorites: Can you guess my age by my movie style?
Braveheart
Green Street Hooligans(Love this movie)
The Big Lebowski
Tombstone
Super Troopers
Snatch
Goodfellas
House of a 100 corpses and Devils rejects
The Hills have Eyes
Warrior(The MMA Movie)
The Program
Vision Quest
Miracle
Old School
Gladiator
Fight Club
The Hangover
Wedding Crashers
Tropic Thunder(So inappropriately funny)
The Avengers series is good
The Batman series with Christian Bale were good.
Warriors was so much fun.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
On the topic of movies… I don’t like most flicks based on comics, Marvel or otherwise. Hard pass.

On the other hand, Brother Where Art Though is a favorite movie based on a COMIC of the Iliad by Homer.
That’s a film I’ve been meaning to watch and I agree 💯 on the Marvel movies!!

Reactions: el dub
Haven't seen it yet. If this is the case, maybe he's learned and improved. Then again, I'd hope most are familiar with Oppenheimer and the Manhattan Project - making exposition wholly unnecessary. Eventually I'll watch it. Been hearing good things about it.
98, you should definitely see it while it's in theaters, and not because of explosions or big action scenes. I saw it over the weekend and thought it was absolutely brilliant, sort of haunting.

98, you should definitely see it while it's in theaters, and not because of explosions or big action scenes. I saw it over the weekend and thought it was absolutely brilliant, sort of haunting.
Thanks. It's playing in an Imax about 1/2 hour's drive. Mentally making plans to see it sometime next week.

I designed equipment that transports and delivers warheads during my 20+ years as an employee of a major defense contractor. Then and earlier in my career, I entertained thoughts of the morality of it all, and even saw a few colleagues leave as conscientious objectors. But I stayed, knowing my father and uncles had served their country in a more direct way. So it was my way of serving my country. Much more recently I was reminded of those times while peering into the Nevada test sites off the backside of Mt. Charleston.

Anyways, I am rambling, and I guess I am trying to say I hope to be able to relate to the characters, because I find it helps me enjoy movies more. At my age I also hope to remember to take a just-in-case pee or two, given the hours driving and 3-hour film length.

Last edited:
The Count of Monte Cristo and the Ghost and the Darkness are two of my all time favorites that seem to never get mentioned.

All this avengers and DC crap is way to much. Although, I am a sucker for Chris Pratt so I have watched, (and somewhat enjoyed,) the first 2 Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Count of Monte Cristo and the Ghost and the Darkness are two of my all time favorites that seem to never get mentioned.

All this avengers and DC crap is way to much. Although, I am a sucker for Chris Pratt so I have watched, (and somewhat enjoyed,) the first 2 Guardians of the Galaxy.
Both of those are highly underrated, especially The Count of Monte Cristo.
It's a gorgeous film and I've always been a fan of Guy Pearce.

Reactions: OpenHawkSurgery
My Favorite Movies (10 Star Ratings On Trakt)

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
American Beauty
American History X
American Sniper
Avengers
Avengers: Endgame
Avengers: Infinity War
Back To The Future
Blood Diamond
Boyhood
Braveheart
City Lights
City Of God
Dances With Wolves
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Darkest Hour
The Departed
Die Hard
Django Unchained
Dumb And Dumber
Eddie Murphy: Raw
The Empire Strikes Back
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Fabelmans
Fargo
A Few Good Men
The Fighter
Forrest Gump
Gladiator
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part II
Gone Baby Gone
Good Will Hunting
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
GoodFellas
Gran Turismo
Guardians Of The Galaxy
The Hangover
I Am Sam
Inception
Into The Wild
Iron Man
Jaws
Jurassic Park
L.A. Confidential
Lion
The Lion King
Lone Survivor
The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Rings
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
Marley & Me
The Matrix
Memento
Million Dollar Baby
Miracle
Monty Python And The Holy Grail
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
National Lampoon's Vacation
The Natural
No Country For Old Men
Once Upon A Time In America
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
The Prestige
Prisoners
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Return Of The Jedi
The Revenant
Rocky
Rogue One
Room
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List
Seven
Seven Samurai
The Shawshank Redemption
The Silence Of The Lambs
Silver Linings Playbook
The Sixth Sense
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
A Star Is Born
Star Wars
There's Something About Mary
Titanic
Tombstone
The Usual Suspects
Warriors
Whiplash
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
The Wizard Of Oz
The Wrestler
Zootopia

Man... Count of Monte Cristo is my all time favorite book. The movie did nothing for me.

Avengers/Marvel have not done a good job since the Infinity Wars - but leading up to that? They did a good job of movies being different. Captain America a bit of spy thriller, Guardians comedy, SpiderMan coming of age comedy, villain movie (Infinity War)

Marvel has also had two of my all time favorite villains - Killmonger (black panther), Thanos (Infinity War)

DC? just yuck. Terrible movies. Horrible plots, repetitive action sequences, cheesy lines and just bad movies overall.

Can't stand most movies made from the comic books (Marvel or DC). Most animated features are also shite. The only folks in stretchy outfits that I want to see are our Iowa wrestlers on the mat.

• Haha
Well, its about time you cesspool degenerates actually get to a topic outside of politics and wrestling that's interesting.

With MSU1458's HORRIBLE take on where Quentin Tarantino's foot fetish films fall in the pantheon of cinema, it's high time the cesspool has a dedicated post on the topic.

My Top 4 directors of all time:

Akira Kurosawa (the absolute father of film)
Kubrick
Hitchcock
Nolan

Hard for me to leave out Tarantino and Scorsese. But they're 5 & 6 for me. Scorsese is a bit overrated to me, but Godfather 1 & 2, might literally be the two best movies of all time.
Would you mind giving me your "source" on this?.........;)✌️

• Haha
Guillermo del Toro is also very good.
The Strain book series was awesome. Sadly, the tv series didn't do it justice.

Also, I give him some serious props for the animated Troll Hunter series which started of with the late, great Anton Yelchin.

It's truly a shame the young man passed away so young. Odd Thomas and the Fright Night remake were both thoroughly entertaining. He was also a very convincing Chekov...

My short list of movies everyone should see. [Citizen Kane is a stroke of genius. The ending of the movie is the most powerfully delivered message I've ever seen - you will never forget it.]

Citizen Kane (1941)
Goodfellas (1990)
Airplane! (1980)
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
The Thing (1982)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Broadcast News (1987)
Wings of Desire (1987)

Did you know:

pRon star Ron Jeremy was an extra in Ghostbusters?

Jean Claude Van Damme was in the background in a scene in the movie Breakin'

JCVD was also the original guy wearing the Predator alien costume. The actor that replaced JCVD in Predator also played Bigfoot in Harry and the Hendersons. He was 7'1".

Soooo. yeah. No new wrestling news.

If you guys haven't checked out Foundation on Apple TV+ - do so. Could have been SO BAD. but they did a really good job and the acting/dialogue is pretty good.

Top 4 sitcoms of all time (in order)

1. Seinfeld
2. Schitts Creek
3. I Love Lucy
4. The Office

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT