ADVERTISEMENT

Changes... be realistic

Hawkfan_08

HR Legend
Nov 9, 2002
North Liberty
Try to be realistic in what you would want to see changed for the Hawks to win this year.

1. Watch tape and reshuffle the line. Jones, unfortunately, doesn't seem ready but he is hardly the only one.

2. Kirk needs to take ownership of the oline and make that his signular focus. What that means for Barnett, I don't know.

3. It doesn't have to be Padilla but it can't be Petras. Great guy, glad he took a risk to come to Iowa, just doesn't have it. It can't just be about what guys do in practice.

4. Dejean just stays in at the star position and roll with nickle.

5. Stevens the new kicker.

6. Pottebaum doesn't line up at the slot.

7. Lachey gets more targets.

I honestly would demote Brian and make him the co-offensive line coach because that group is not progressing at all. I would find a way to make Budmayr the QB coach and offensive coordinator.

This offense is not just a QB change away from turning the corner.

If any football offense was in need of being gutted, it’s iowa. There are very few solid impact B1G players anywhere on the roster on that side of the ball. Looks just like Hayden’s last team. The only reason our defense is so great is PP. The only way KF would show any indication that he truly wants to fix things before retiring, he would fire every offensive coach other than LB and bring in at least 10 players through the portal who are ready to make an impact on the offense on day 1.

Try to be realistic in what you would want to see changed for the Hawks to win this year.

1. Watch tape and reshuffle the line. Jones, unfortunately, doesn't seem ready but he is hardly the only one.

2. Kirk needs to take ownership of the oline and make that his signular focus. What that means for Barnett, I don't know.

3. It doesn't have to be Padilla but it can't be Petras. Great guy, glad he took a risk to come to Iowa, just doesn't have it. It can't just be about what guys do in practice.

IMO, if you go with #4, which I'm good with then Jacobs is at LB instead of Benson when he's healthy. He missed too many tackles today for my liking.

Reactions: Bishop1971
IMO, if you go with #4, which I'm good with then Jacobs is at LB instead of Benson when he's healthy. He missed too many tackles today for my liking.

I was really disappointed by that today too but Jacobs is hurt.

I didn't think Schulte or Benson had the greatest of days.

They need to get back to being the bullies of the Big Ten. I think the one change that would buy some time and make the fans happy as well as keep the recruits involved would be to fire Barnett and move BF back to the offensive line. Kirk could spin it that the offensive line play is so bad that he needs to move the most qualified guy, in Brian to shore that up. I don't care how he spins it, he can claim it is a promotion, but get the offensive line in gear. Then move Lavar to offensive coordinator.

They need to get back to being the bullies of the Big Ten. I think the one change that would buy some time and make the fans happy as well as keep the recruits involved would be to fire Barnett and move BF back to the offensive line. Kirk could spin it that the offensive line play is so bad that he needs to move the most qualified guy, in Brian to shore that up. I don't care how he spins it, he can claim it is a promotion, but get the offensive line in gear. Then move Lavar to offensive coordinator.

I agree 100% but I don't see it being realistic.

Barnett needs to fix this line or he needs fired................

We really don’t know what we have at line, RB, WR…I actually think we have several good backs..and a young line that could use some help. . As a poster said earlier, we are playing against 8 and 9 men in the box. You cannot block that with 6-7… Petras needs to go, give Padilla a shot, and if that doesn’t work keep moving down the depth chart… find the hot hand and run with it..
Think about Charlie Jones’s decision…. He absolutely made the right call…

I think this defense is good enough that Kirk doesn't need to protect them with a conservative offense. Put Labas in. The O needs a QB that can make some plays. It's ok if the O gets off schedule....they haven't been on schedule in 2 games. Turnovers, that's happening too. Might as well have the big play capability if we're turning it over anyway.

The D is good enough to handle the O turning it over. What the D can't do is be on the field all the time and they need an O that can squeeze out 20 points. 20 points a game and this team finishes 9-3, book it.

Reactions: desihawk
Simplified blocking schemes, simplified playbook, wildcat with DeJean multiple times per game, Petras watching from the sidelines.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT