ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Jones to the portal

This makes perfect sense except for the fact that there aren't any guarantees he will even play, esp given how late he transferred.

Correct about playing time at a place like purdue which seems to have a very indepth passing game that one cant maybe learn all that quick and get comfortable with the qb

How does this show Iowa's ineptitude? You've made many fine points in this thread, but this isn't one of them.
It's become quite clear he wanted a pass-happy offense this fall, and that isn't happening in Iowa City. I wish him good luck except against Iowa.

As an aside, one of the receivers had a mysterious illness (blanking who it was), wonder if that situation is any better?

I wonder if Jones and others think Iowa will be able to pound and ground the ball this year and that is what they will do to take pressure off the qbs. So maybe not many pass catching opportunities for a variety of reasons. I would love to see the Hawks bash people in the ground game but also turn that into big play pass opportunities like flea flickers, and great play action and going deep

Deerfield and Stevenson are only a couple of miles miles apart. They played travel football and baseball together. That’s how it works in here.
Ok, I knew they were close but didn't go to the same high school. Hence the question on the "teammates" part. Didn't realize they were on travel teams together, thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
I wonder if Jones and others think Iowa will be able to pound and ground the ball this year and that is what they will do to take pressure off the qbs. So maybe not many pass catching opportunities for a variety of reasons. I would love to see the Hawks bash people in the ground game but also turn that into big play pass opportunities like flea flickers, and great play action and going deep
The more likely explanation is that our qb and offense are going to suck again, and he wants to play for a team that has something that resembles a competent qb, and offense.

This is not difficult to figure out. He got a nice NIL deal to return punts and kicks for a big name program. Only way this makes sense.
I think this has to be right. And if he can make some money, I don’t blame him for playing by the (new) rules of CFB.

Whoever doesn't understand his decision is a total idiot. This is 100% on Ferments for installing his meathead kid at OC....Jones would still be here if it wasn't for Iowa's 1920's offense. Ferments fatigue is real and alive in Iowa City....it's been festering for 15 years.

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
I don’t think he is leaving bc he thinks our offense sucks. It did last year and might this year. But if this were the case, why not enter the transfer portal after the bowl game and get in a spring practice with new team?

I think it’s more likely he wanted to be a featured receiver and saw after spring that Arland is ahead of him. The depth chart at the end of spring practice is meaningless. He will definitely be missed in the return game but I don’t see him being the main receiver at any top 20 team, which I think Iowa will be. Time will tell.

My prediction is he thinks he's better than he is and thinks showcasing his wideout skills in a more pass first offense increases his chance at the NFL, something I think he has 0% chance at.
Ever heard of Cooper Kupp? LOL

Maybe Charlie waited until after spring to see if Iowa's QB competition would result in a starter who could actually throw the ball down the field with some accuracy. When it didn't, maybe Charlie decided he would be better off elsewhere. Makes perfectly good sense.

And I suppose you knew all about Cooper Kupp coming out of college, eh? LOL

So, that proves my point that he's not leaving because he got passed by younger players?.........Neat! :D
Nope. If you don't think that Bruce was going to play ahead of Jones, please pass whatever you're smoking.

Just to restate this again (3rd time!), Ragaini was listed as 1st, Jones 2nd, and Bruce 3rd. I believe that the true order by the first game would have been flipped. If Jones is really gone, it'll be Bruce then Ragaini by the first game, IMHO.

Whoever doesn't understand his decision is a total idiot. This is 100% on Ferments for installing his meathead kid at OC....Jones would still be here if it wasn't for Iowa's 1920's offense. Ferments fatigue is real and alive in Iowa City....it's been festering for 15 years.
It's always entertaining when you come out of your cage to mash your face all over the keyboard lol

That increase can at least partially be credited to the NCAA's new policy that student-athletes are allowed to transfer once in their careers without having to sit out a year-in-residence. That means all players who enter the transfer portal for the first time will be immediately eligible at their new school as long as they meet a NCAA mandated entry deadline.

I hate to say this but if you are a WR who thinks you may have a shot at the next level and you are looking to put together a productive year on tape prior to next year's draft, Iowa is probably one of the worst places you could choose to do that.
Yep. WRs are definitely missing the memo on Iowa beating a "cheat code" to prepare for the NFL........

Reactions: onionman1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT