ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Jones to the portal

Don't understand this one at all. What was he looking for that Iowa could not provide?

And with the season kicking off in just over 3 months, good luck at (1) finding a new school that's a good fit; and (2) earning playing time.
$$$$$$

How does this show Iowa's ineptitude? You've made many fine points in this thread, but this isn't one of them.
It's become quite clear he wanted a pass-happy offense this fall, and that isn't happening in Iowa City. I wish him good luck except against Iowa.

As an aside, one of the receivers had a mysterious illness (blanking who it was), wonder if that situation is any better?
Keagan Johnson. He'll be fine come fall.

My prediction is he thinks he's better than he is and thinks showcasing his wideout skills in a more pass first offense increases his chance at the NFL, something I think he has 0% chance at.

Or something else happened that we might not know about but was going to cost him playing time this year.
Derp.

Don't understand this one at all. What was he looking for that Iowa could not provide?

And with the season kicking off in just over 3 months, good luck at (1) finding a new school that's a good fit; and (2) earning playing time.
I would say he "found" playing time before he put his name in the portal....if you know what I mean.

How does this show Iowa's ineptitude? You've made many fine points in this thread, but this isn't one of them.
It's become quite clear he wanted a pass-happy offense this fall, and that isn't happening in Iowa City. I wish him good luck except against Iowa.

As an aside, one of the receivers had a mysterious illness (blanking who it was), wonder if that situation is any better?
It shows how ineffective they are in the passing game. Another WR on that Buffalo team had 50 receptions for Buffalo, transferred to Miami and produced 50 receptions there as well in one year. Just look at the bowl game. 28 yards of receiving by WRs and only 5 catches. Most of the targets went to TEs and RBs. It is just not a good offense for WRs.

Iowa only has 5 scholarship WRs and that includes true Freshman Bostick. Then you add to the fact that Johnson has been dealing with an mysterious injury since the bowl game and struggled with drops, Brecht hasn't played a down and Bostick is a true freshman that isn't going to see the field. I am guessing some walkons will be seeing some time this year.
Glass half full....it's gonna be damn hard for Kirk to keep his son at the rate things are going!

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
It shows how ineffective they are in the passing game. Another WR on that Buffalo team had 50 receptions for Buffalo, transferred to Miami and produced 50 receptions there as well in one year. Just look at the bowl game. 28 yards of receiving by WRs and only 5 catches. Most of the targets went to TEs and RBs. It is just not a good offense for WRs.
I agree the receivers aren't showcased in Iowa's offense, I don't think that's a sign of Iowa's ineptitude though. It's simply a scheme thing. As you're well aware, this isn't new for Iowa under KF.

Perhaps the best offensive player on a team with a really bad offense. Why he wasn't used more as a receiver last year I have no idea. This one hurts.

I agree the receivers aren't showcased in Iowa's offense, I don't think that's a sign of Iowa's ineptitude though. It's simply a scheme thing. As you're well aware, this isn't new for Iowa under KF.
Well the offense is usually inept so I am not sure what you want to show its ineptitude. Also, not really an Iowa thing more of a BF thing with regards to WRs. When KOK had good WRs they were used.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Except he knew exactly what he was getting into when he transferred here. If he had delusions of a pass happy offense, he was an idiot. Him leaving makes no sense at all.
I'm not sure why you'd say that. I believe PFF had him as the best wide receiver by a fair margin last year and yet he had the fewest snaps/targets in the group. If he has a chance to go somewhere and see more action why wouldn't he consider moving?

Reactions: David1979
I'm not sure why you'd say that. I believe PFF had him as the best wide receiver by a fair margin last year and yet he had the fewest snaps/targets in the group. If he has a chance to go somewhere and see more action why wouldn't he consider moving?
Yeah, really good hands and the fastest WR Iowa had.

My prediction is he thinks he's better than he is and thinks showcasing his wideout skills in a more pass first offense increases his chance at the NFL, something I think he has 0% chance at.

Or something else happened that we might not know about but was going to cost him playing time this year.
Meh, I think he absolutely could land on a squad as a special teams guy. A lot of teams are willing to carry 5 or 6 WRs (or extra DBs) and use them strictly as returners/special teamers.

Heck, the Vikings only used Kene Nwangwu (former ISU RB) as a returner/gadget play guy until injuries forced him into the lineup as a 4th RB option.

That could definitely be a path for Jones in the league.

Reactions: bumpstock
Purdue just lost Milton wright, whom had 57 receptions, for 732 yards. I'd say there is likely room for him there. I'm hopeful for the offense moving forward based on the skill positions already present.
I bet there is no more competition here than there. Anyone saying he left because he was afraid to compete here is a doo moss

Most likely the younger guys are very good and he was told playing time next fall will be limited. I would not be surprised if the coaches were honest with him so that he could make this move if that is what he wants.

Purdue might be his landing spot, but it is not because of NIL money. They do not yet have a collective in place.

Reactions: Ree4
In agreement with the thought that he's looking for a better (meaning at least marginally competent) passing offense to give him more opportunity to showcase wr skills.
A borderline NFL player, like him, needs to show he can give a team a PR/KR and solid back up slot receiver. Getting a handful of targets from a bad qb doesn't do him any favors. More targets within a solid passing offense with a decent qb and a coach who likes to throw it could make a difference.

Also wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the walkon Kaden Wetjen from Iowa Western get into the return game. His film is pretty damn impressive.

History tends to repeat itself..
Speaking of depth we don't have crap for depth either lol
Not sure I find that to be overly funny, but in terms of playing time, it looks like it would potentially be an easier battle at purdue than at Iowa. They already have taken 2 transfers at WR.

I haven't read the whole thread, but he could possibly want to go to grad school and Iowa doesn't offer his field or another school has a better program than Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT