ADVERTISEMENT

Chryst announces he's staying at Texas

Leistikow and Dochterman both publicly opined that they thought Chryst was the best choice. Neither discussed the reasonably probability that Ferentz is seeking a commitment for more than one year and Chryst's unlikely willingness to give such a commitment given his known pursuit of HC positions this cycle and likely pursuit next winter. Unless the second coming is available, it would seem reasonable to avoid the prospect of churning through OC's and system's back-to-back. Although I thought Chryst would be good, he's not the second coming. So, in my opinion---for what little it likely is worth---that is the context for Chryst's reported rejection.

Fans and donors want instant gratification. In the NFL, where owners have real money at stake, sometimes, but rarely is a coaching hire done quickly. Here, there is no urgency to a hire. Iowa was full vis a vis the winter portal and no installation can occur until spring ball. I'm not sure it's so stupid to see what the January coaching chaos produces. Everybody was all over Ferentz in 1999 about his slow hires but nobody was complaining from the Orange Bowl 3 years later.

Sounds like Chryst has a pretty solid relationship with Manning according to some write ups. I would imagine if he were to lobby for an OC spot it would be at Texas. Also a job like the Arizona spot should be welcoming Chryst with open arms.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Who would want to be OC under KF? Career suicide.
I hear there are some quality guys available at the Pop Warner level. But you're right, he probably couldn't get back into the Pop Warner league after a couple of years at Iowa. I kid because I care.

Reactions: Legs94
COME TO IOWA, WHERE THE CUPBOARD IS SO BARE ON OFFENSE THAT FANS WILL WANT YOU FIRED AFTER GAME 1. CAN'T BEAT THIS DEAL.
Vanessa Lachey Hawaii GIF by CBS

Our search is moving about as well as our offense. We’ve had months to find a guy and yet nothing. Alabama, Washington and Arizona have all found their HEAD COACHES in under a week. And that’s without knowing they’d have a vacancy. We’ve known since October! Unbelievable! KF can’t retire fast enough. If I was Beth Goetz I’d be stepping in on this clown show.

I'd do it but I think my youth football offense may be too diverse for KF... we had wristbands so that helped, it took the 5th\6th grades about a week to grasp it.

KXNO has Dochterman talking about pure speculation with names including Bill O'Brien, and Tommy Rees. Sounds like no one has any idea what is going on after Chryst turned them down. Wants the decision to be made by the end of January, so maybe by March...

KXNO has Dochterman talking about pure speculation with names including Bill O'Brien, and Tommy Rees. Sounds like no one has any idea what is going on after Chryst turned them down. Wants the decision to be made by the end of January, so maybe by March...
KF screwed the pooch on this thus far, had damn near half a year to find someone and he has done about as well as the offense in finding an OC.

Time to step down KF, let Seth or someone with some gumption take the helm and move the program forward.

Only Kirk and F up a hiring like this by striking out left and right and prob right now clueless as can be as to what to do next and prob begging the AD to let him rehire his son as OC....

KF screwed the pooch on this thus far, had damn near half a year to find someone and he has done about as well as the offense in finding an OC.

Time to step down KF, let Seth or someone with some gumption take the helm and move the program forward.
He ****ed it up last year....Now it is becoming a problem, and the only possibility is to hire a nobody, or pay up and say hands off.

Leistikow and Dochterman both publicly opined that they thought Chryst was the best choice. Neither discussed the reasonably probability that Ferentz is seeking a commitment for more than one year and Chryst's unlikely willingness to give such a commitment given his known pursuit of HC positions this cycle and likely pursuit next winter. Unless the second coming is available, it would seem reasonable to avoid the prospect of churning through OC's and system's back-to-back. Although I thought Chryst would be good, he's not the second coming. So, in my opinion---for what little it likely is worth---that is the context for Chryst's reported rejection.

Fans and donors want instant gratification. In the NFL, where owners have real money at stake, sometimes, but rarely is a coaching hire done quickly. Here, there is no urgency to a hire. Iowa was full vis a vis the winter portal and no installation can occur until spring ball. I'm not sure it's so stupid to see what the January coaching chaos produces. Everybody was all over Ferentz in 1999 about his slow hires but nobody was complaining from the Orange Bowl 3 years later.
Great post.

Really, the only real downside to taking our time at this point is the whiplash it is causing for us yahoos on the Internet who keep chasing after every shiny object that catches our eye. Ryan Grubbs! Paul Chryst! Joe Philbin! Scott Frost! Zach Lujan! Bill O'Brien! Andy Ludwig! Brennan Marion! Warren Ruggiero? Pete Carmichael? (mentioned in a tweet today by Leistekow).

But at the end of the day, Kirk gives absolutely zero effs about us yahoos on the Internet. He's going to do this his way, and he's going to be methodical. I'm sure, in due time, we'll all have plenty of time to gripe about the selection.

Paul Chryst wouldn’t commit to the position as OC so that tells me he couldn’t get the freedom to run the offense how he saw fit or that he couldn’t bring in his own people for line, wr, rb, and te so he said thanks but no thanks. KF just needs to retire at this point and let someone younger take over this craptastic offense like Ryan Grubb to be able to turn this thing around.
My read is completely different. He's decided he wants to be the head man. With an $11M buyout and living in Austin, not sure if -40 degree temps is enticing.

Great post.

Really, the only real downside to taking our time at this point is the whiplash it is causing for us yahoos on the Internet who keep chasing after every shiny object that catches our eye. Ryan Grubbs! Paul Chryst! Joe Philbin! Scott Frost! Zach Lujan! Bill O'Brien! Andy Ludwig! Brennan Marion! Warren Ruggiero? Pete Carmichael? (mentioned in a tweet today by Leistekow).

But at the end of the day, Kirk gives absolutely zero effs about us yahoos on the Internet. He's going to do this his way, and he's going to be methodical. I'm sure, in due time, we'll all have plenty of time to gripe about the selection.
Pete Carmichael?
Great post.

Pete Carmichael? Starting to think these writers are just trying to find things to write about now… why on earth would a 15 year OC in NFL want to come to iowa to work under ferentz??? So far that is the most fat fetched speculation yet… I mean, I’d take it! But makes less sense than Marion or anyone else mentioned at this point…

Reactions: littlez
Pete Carmichael?

Pete Carmichael? Starting to think these writers are just trying to find things to write about now… why on earth would a 15 year OC in NFL want to come to iowa to work under ferentz??? So far that is the most fat fetched speculation yet… I mean, I’d take it! But makes less sense than Marion or anyone else mentioned at this point…
It's not happening, they are just throwing names out for speculation at this point.

Pete Carmichael?

No idea. Leistekow just tweeted that he had been fired from the Saints. Agree that these guys are just throwing crap at the walls.

I do believe the AD and Pres are the ones who approve it, if they are limiting that, then shame on them. Iowa can afford to pay a quality OC upwards of 2mil.
I have a hard time thinking the administration is severely handicapping this search by salary. The U of I was paying the shittiest one in the country rather well, even after the pay cut last season. They know you can't go backwards in this arms race. They aren't idiots, they know being competitive in football IS important. There is so much publicity and TV dollars at stake with keeping up with the Jones' that you can't afford not to.

Reactions: obfuscating
I have a hard time thinking the administration is severely handicapping this search by salary. The U of I was paying the shittiest one in the country rather well, even after the pay cut last season. They know you can't go backwards in this arms race. They aren't idiots, they know being competitive in football IS important. There is so much publicity and TV dollars at stake with keeping up with the Jones' that you can't afford not to.
According to the twitter sphere and apparently on3, Brad has said that the money will be scraped together, and that isn't the issue.

Reactions: obfuscating
I certainly hope they know, now that GB is out of the way maybe we can get some leadership on hiring\promotions\etc.

KF has never been one to "keep up" he has always seem to have been punting on anything offensive.

According to the twitter sphere and apparently on3, Brad has said that the money will be scraped together, and that isn't the issue.
If money is not an issue, then it falls on KF shoulders that he is trying to choke hold the offense. If I were even an OC in today's world, I would tell KF to pound sand as well.

Reactions: jhawk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT