ADVERTISEMENT

Clarence Thomas

Stay with me here…. I was saying that if Thomas was a Democrat and Republicans were going after him, it would be deemed as racist and due to white supremacy from those on the left. You then gave me three white people the left didn’t embrace.
Are you OK with what Thomas did? No problem with it whatsoever?

You mention friendship - if they are good friends this is OK?

Per Thomas' own admission, this "friendship" and sponging off the rich guy ONLY started 5 years AFTER he became a SC justice. Not during any other tenure of his legal career. Ergo, this is "NOT" a "longtime" friend, it's someone who buddied up to him AFTER he was in a position of power and influence.

You've chosen to dive in head first to the sand because you don't want to consider anything but the legalities. That's the only way he might possibly be cleared on technicalities.

What other "sides" to the story will impact how you view these actions? You mention friendship - if they are good friends this is OK? Is it OK if they did some business on these expensive excursions? If the value of some of the trips are only $100K does that change your perception?

You're doing exactly what so many right wingers are doing with this right now - trying to hide behind technicalities and ignoring that all judges, and particularly Supreme Court Justices, must not be compromised like this.
Legality is all that matters in this instance. If they did business on the trips that specifically is outlined in the law.
The value, whether it be $1 or $1M is moot as the rules don’t specify. Mind you, Crow spending $1M to fly friends or go yachting with friends (sunk costs ignored) is like someone making $100K a year paying $30 for a friends meal. $1M and $30 is a big difference no doubt, but its all relative.

Legality is all that matters in this instance. If they did business on the trips that specifically is outlined in the law.
The value, whether it be $1 or $1M is moot as the rules don’t specify. Mind you, Crow spending $1M to fly friends or go yachting with friends (sunk costs ignored) is like someone making $100K a year paying $30 for a friends meal. $1M and $30 is a big difference no doubt, but its all relative.
No. Legality is not all that matters here. People are fired for the perception of impropriety without having done something illegal. And the amount spent relative to the donor's wealth is completely irrelevant - it wasn't $30 to Thomas. That's nonsense.

Leaving aside the differences between legislative relationships with lobbyists (which is a problem) and judicial relationships with lobbyists, you get that what you said is in no way shape or form a defense of what Thomas did, right?

“They did it too” is the argument of a child.
JFC, that's not what I said. The first issue is if Thomas broke any laws which it's clear he didn't. The second issue, which is of ethics, and I clearly stated they ALL are doing it, which I don't like in any way. The third issue is the hypocrisy of libtards feigning outrage when conservatives do things vs. when libtards do them.

JFC, that's not what I said. The first issue is if Thomas broke any laws which it's clear he didn't. The second issue, which is of ethics, and I clearly stated they ALL are doing it, which I don't like in any way. The third issue is the hypocrisy of libtards feigning outrage when conservatives do things vs. when libtards do them.

Well, first I’m not sure it’s as clear as you think that he didn’t break any laws - but I think at best he’s parsing existing laws/rules finely enough that proving it legally is difficult.

Second, no you went straight to “these other people do it to” which either means you think it’s okay what he did because other people do it to or that you’re just fine with it regardless. You kinda sorta said you don’t like it…but that’s not the same thing as saying it’s wrong no matter what.

Third, name-calling one side again deflects from what you’re trying to argue. I don’t care whether you’re conservative or liberal, what Thomas has done is shady as hell, all but destroys his credibility as an ethical, responsible jurist; and further damages what integrity the SC has left.

There’s sadly a lot that politicians do that we mostly accept and move on because it’s just how you have to play the game to get things done. But Thomas is NOT a politician, he’s a Judge, and not just any judge but a Supreme Court Justice. We have every reason to hold him (and all other judges/justices) to a higher moral/ethical standard than politicians - after all they’re supposed to be part of the mechanism that holds them in line. Trying to equate him and his actions with that of any other politician erodes that mechanism.

Agreed he broke a norm. It's up to us to decide how to punish these folks. One way maybe to start demanding better from all of the elites in Washington. These individuals are acting like feudal lords.

Which does not address the issue.
It does address the issue, you've provided zero reason why it didn't idiot. Just like your 1978 argument which is idiotic. You were all on board with 1978 law when it came to the Presidential records act.

Well, first I’m not sure it’s as clear as you think that he didn’t break any laws - but I think at best he’s parsing existing laws/rules finely enough that proving it legally is difficult.

Second, no you went straight to “these other people do it to” which either means you think it’s okay what he did because other people do it to or that you’re just fine with it regardless. You kinda sorta said you don’t like it…but that’s not the same thing as saying it’s wrong no matter what.

Third, name-calling one side again deflects from what you’re trying to argue. I don’t care whether you’re conservative or liberal, what Thomas has done is shady as hell, all but destroys his credibility as an ethical, responsible jurist; and further damages what integrity the SC has left.

There’s sadly a lot that politicians do that we mostly accept and move on because it’s just how you have to play the game to get things done. But Thomas is NOT a politician, he’s a Judge, and not just any judge but a Supreme Court Justice. We have every reason to hold him (and all other judges/justices) to a higher moral/ethical standard than politicians - after all they’re supposed to be part of the mechanism that holds them in line. Trying to equate him and his actions with that of any other politician erodes that mechanism.
Below is what I said. I did not say "these other people do it to", I gave examples, I didn't list out everything which seems to be what you'd rather me have done instead which isn't going to happen. I clearly implicated the entire government in DC.

"Is it really any different from what happens in DC every damn day? How did Pelosi, Feinstein, McConnell, AOC, Bernie, etc get rich on their salaries? Has that all been disclosed over the years? The whole damn government is nothing but elbow rubbing, money exchanging, "hospitality", etc."

It actually is pretty clear he didn't do anything against the law. The 1978 law is ambiguous about travel, despite what bonehead Joe thinks and hospitality is included. 2021 & 2023 are not laws, but guidance. It's also up for debate if Congress can tell an equal branch what to do. SC should have set their own standards for reporting and ethics and that's a failure on their part.

I didn't name call anyone specific and this board is exhausting with the level of liberals on here who do nothing but call people names that go against their narratives. I tried playing nice long ago, not doing it. I'm not running for Congress, local office, school board, or glee club president.

And I disagree completely about the SC not being like a politician. It absolutely has stooped to that level now and it doesn't look like it will change. So, call a spade a spade. And taking trips with a very close friend of 25 years where there has been no clear COI is very different from other examples such as what Biden did with his son as VP. Yes, it doesn't look good that he didn't report it, ethically. Totally agree with that and he should have known better.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
It's not relative to the person ACCEPTING the "gift". Most wouldn't compromise their values for a $30 meal. A whole hell of a lot of people would for $1M. Especially for MULTIPLE gifts in that range.

What YOU want to do is excuse it based on your "everybody does it" claim. How about this? You FORGET what others do and approach this on it's own. As a stand-alone, not-related-to-anything-else issue. Take a f'n stand. Should there be repercussions for this or not? Simple question. Can you answer it? And if your answer is there should be none...justify that based on it's own merits.

Below is what I said. I did not say "these other people do it to", I gave examples, I didn't list out everything which seems to be what you'd rather me have done instead which isn't going to happen. I clearly implicated the entire government in DC.

"Is it really any different from what happens in DC every damn day? How did Pelosi, Feinstein, McConnell, AOC, Bernie, etc get rich on their salaries? Has that all been disclosed over the years? The whole damn government is nothing but elbow rubbing, money exchanging, "hospitality", etc."

It actually is pretty clear he didn't do anything against the law. The 1978 law is ambiguous about travel, despite what bonehead Joe thinks and hospitality is included. 2021 & 2023 are not laws, but guidance. It's also up for debate if Congress can tell an equal branch what to do. SC should have set their own standards for reporting and ethics and that's a failure on their part.

I didn't name call anyone specific and this board is exhausting with the level of liberals on here who do nothing but call people names that go against their narratives. I tried playing nice long ago, not doing it. I'm not running for Congress, local office, school board, or glee club president.

And I disagree completely about the SC not being like a politician. It absolutely has stooped to that level now and it doesn't look like it will change. So, call a spade a spade. And taking trips with a very close friend of 25 years where there has been no clear COI is very different from other examples such as what Biden did with his son as VP. Yes, it doesn't look good that he didn't report it, ethically. Totally agree with that and he should have known better.

I don’t agree that SC justices should be treated the same as others in government, not accept that as permanent when stuff like this happens.

This is unacceptable behavior, especially on top of everything else Thomas has had going on. Especially when it’s not “he was taking trips with his close friend for 25 years”! His “close friend” PAID FOR EVERYTHING!

It’s also noteworthy that they weren’t friends, or at least the paid vacations didn’t begin until AFTER he joined the Supreme Court,

When similar stuff happens to members of Congress; they ARE required to report that, admittedly not all of them do, and Al too often it’s no more than a slap on the wrist when they do get caught.

Reactions: torbee and nelly02
I don’t agree that SC justices should be treated the same as others in government, not accept that as permanent when stuff like this happens.
A SC justice can't be voted off the court for this kind of thing. They have a life-time contract. The standard has to be FAR higher for them than for someone who has to face voters. What say you, @your_master5 ?

This was answered in post #365. I'll re-post just for you.

Bernie has a net worth of $3M, hardly rich at his age. AOC has assets less than $100K. Pelosi came from money and has a rich husband as does Feinstein.

What YOU want to do is excuse it based on your "everybody does it" claim. How about this? You FORGET what others do and approach this on it's own. As a stand-alone, not-related-to-anything-else issue. Take a f'n stand. Should there be repercussions for this or not? Simple question. Can you answer it? And if your answer is there should be none...justify that based on it's own merits.
How about I don't do what YOU want me to do. I will also absolutely claim that it happens everywhere in DC and bring up Biden. You are one of the people on here that is 100% a narrative builder who is a complete hypocrite. What about not breaking the law do you not understand? Liberals want him impeached and I don't agree with that.

Stay with me here…. I was saying that if Thomas was a Democrat and Republicans were going after him, it would be deemed as racist and due to white supremacy from those on the left. You then gave me three white people the left didn’t embrace.
What about Independents and moderates that think this is unethical? I don't give a crap about his race.

Reactions: nelly02
This was answered in post #365. I'll re-post just for you.

Bernie has a net worth of $3M, hardly rich at his age. AOC has assets less than $100K. Pelosi came from money and has a rich husband as does Feinstein.
Was me posting that again in reference to your answer? No, it wasn't, yet you post again, probably because you think you're clever.

Let AOC explain this to you herself. The definition of "rich" comes in many facets. And no, you can't claim Pelosi/Feinstein married into the wealth they have now. You and I know that's not true as they've used their positions to expand greatly on that wealth. Same thing with Ditch. How about you just admit there's plenty of shady shit in DC instead of the garbage you peddle.....

Reporter who broke this did an AMA on Reddit. It’s informative. Apparently there is also an undisclosed real estate deal.

This is unacceptable behavior, especially on top of everything else Thomas has had going on. Especially when it’s not “he was taking trips with his close friend for 25 years”! His “close friend” PAID FOR EVERYTHING!

It’s also noteworthy that they weren’t friends, or at least the paid vacations didn’t begin until AFTER he joined the Supreme Court,

When similar stuff happens to members of Congress; they ARE required to report that, admittedly not all of them do, and Al too often it’s no more than a slap on the wrist when they do get caught.
As mentioned, I don't disagree that those things should have been reported, ethically.

LOL! Oh yeah, I'm going to believe the Pro Publica writer who states zero statutes that Thomas broke.

Nope still no laws broken.
I am certainly no expert in judicial disclosure requirements, but a quick Google search shows that Section 315.40 of the judicial disclosure regulations requires judges/justices to disclose transactions involving the purchase or sale of property or assets in excess of $1,000.

I am certainly no expert in judicial disclosure requirements, but a quick Google search shows that Section 315.40 of the judicial disclosure requirements states that judges/justices must disclose transactions involving the purchase or sale of property or assets in excess of $1,000.
Yep.

ONLY exception is if it is your own personal, primary residence.

On top of this:

2 other properties on the street, adjacent, were purchased; those (I believe) went for about 1/3rd (each) of what he paid Thomas.

Thomas' mother still resides in the residence; there are no records that she is paying any rent.
$36k of "upgrades" and renovations have been made to the property (to the direct benefit of Thomas' mother). No mention of any "similar upgrades" to the other two purchased properties.

LOL! Oh yeah, I'm going to believe the Pro Publica writer who states zero statutes that Thomas broke.

Uh...yeah. That's actually a statute he broke the law on here. Along with (apparently) his mother getting free rent and major property renovations done, for free.

Reactions: nelly02

Reporter who broke this did an AMA on Reddit. It’s informative. Apparently there is also an undisclosed real estate deal.

But seven legal ethics experts we spoke to, including former ethics lawyers for Congress and the White House, said the law clearly requires that gifts of transportation, including private jet flights, be disclosed.

I've pointed this out about a half-dozen times, already in this thread.

Reactions: torbee and nelly02
How about I don't do what YOU want me to do. I will also absolutely claim that it happens everywhere in DC and bring up Biden. You are one of the people on here that is 100% a narrative builder who is a complete hypocrite. What about not breaking the law do you not understand? Liberals want him impeached and I don't agree with that.
Judges - and lawyers - are governed by ETHICAL standards. They can be disbarred for ETHICS violations that have not one thing to do with breaking the law. That's not a "narrative"...it's a fact that you refuse to address. Maybe you don't understand "ethical standards". I wouldn't find that at all surprising.

YOU are the one building a narrative to avoid addressing the issue - that's exactly what your "everybody does it"..."look at Biden" is all about. THAT'S a "narrative".

All I'm asking you to do is look at this one instance and comment on it independent of all the other horseshit you want to bring to the table to excuse it and you refuse.

Was me posting that again in reference to your answer? No, it wasn't, yet you post again, probably because you think you're clever.

Let AOC explain this to you herself. The definition of "rich" comes in many facets. And no, you can't claim Pelosi/Feinstein married into the wealth they have now. You and I know that's not true as they've used their positions to expand greatly on that wealth. Same thing with Ditch. How about you just admit there's plenty of shady shit in DC instead of the garbage you peddle.....

Lol - you made another ignorant post. I simply answered your question. Bernie nor AOC are rich. Feinstein and Pelosi have rich husbands. Those are facts. As far as Mitch goes, I don't know.

Your tantrums are funny.

• Haha
Reactions: your_master5
I don’t know.
I don’t know what actually occurred aside from the one article. There are three sides to every story and we have one.
I don’t know how good of a friendship he really has with Crow. Is it legitimate? Who am I to judge based on what we know?
I don’t know if business was had on these trips (which would require the trips to be documented).
I don’t know that the perceived value of time on yacht or flights is accurate or that it really even matters.

I have chosen to delve into the legal aspect of it only and from that angle an argument can be made that these trips are legal and he abided by the rules set forth. Unless someone can show otherwise and not just argue the perceived value makes it an issue, I’m inclined to keep saying, “hate the rules, not the player”
I'll mark you down as good with it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT