ADVERTISEMENT

Clarence Thomas

Shit I was questioning myself when a friend wanted to buy me a meal as a magistrate. Apparently that half time judicial gig was more important than SCOTUS

Transportation is required for reporting, per the statutes those original guidelines are based upon.
Thus, private jet travel AND traveling on the yachts would imply required reporting as "perks".
Look at you pretending to know what you’re talking about.

cute-cheetah.gif

The Justice’s close friend apparently likes Hitler.

I really did Nazi that coming.

Displaying nazi stuff is just weird.

My parents have a beautiful silver service set with swastikas on the bottom that they inherited from my grandmother, who’d bought them for cigarettes after the war.

It was never a big deal for my grandmother because my grandfather and all of his friends had served, and they were seen as normal war trophies. That’s not really the case anymore. I can’t imagine my parents ever displaying or using the stuff, and it’s much nicer than those linens.

Last edited:
I have no issues holding CT accountable. However, let’s open up the rest of the justice’s finances including records of their vacations and how they were paid for. I hope the rest are squeaky clean.

Ive been out of the loop a bit with Holy Week activities.

In terms of where I am, the simple fact is he’s right as to earlier disclosure obligations, and in general, recusal only comes into a play where financial interests are with parties. My understanding is that has not been the case.

I have no problem with enhanced reporting obligations for the justices, if for no other reason than that they improve mechanisms for recusal evaluation. I don’t buy the idea that scotus is irregulable on these matters.

But while I recognize many don’t like the justice, and that’s fine, hanging with rich conservative friends who pay for your dinner is no more a basis for stepping down than hanging with poor conservative friends where you pay for dinner. Bad look? Sure. Actionable corruption? Sorry.

The justices have side gigs. Regardless of whether they are ostensibly neutral (eg, teaching a class or writing a book), the reality is they tend to get arranged by people who like the cut of the justices jib.
Public confidence in the Supreme Court has plummeted in the last 20 years, and corruption like this will further erode confidence.
But, I do thank you for telling us you’re cool with it because he’s on your team. I work in the real world and I have far more strict rules as to what I can accept as a gift, and corrupting me doesn’t impact the lives of all Americans like corrupting Thomas does.

Ive been out of the loop a bit with Holy Week activities.

In terms of where I am, the simple fact is he’s right as to earlier disclosure obligations, and in general, recusal only comes into a play where financial interests are with parties. My understanding is that has not been the case.

I have no problem with enhanced reporting obligations for the justices, if for no other reason than that they improve mechanisms for recusal evaluation. I don’t buy the idea that scotus is irregulable on these matters.

But while I recognize many don’t like the justice, and that’s fine, hanging with rich conservative friends who pay for your dinner is no more a basis for stepping down than hanging with poor conservative friends where you pay for dinner. Bad look? Sure. Actionable corruption? Sorry.

The justices have side gigs. Regardless of whether they are ostensibly neutral (eg, teaching a class or writing a book), the reality is they tend to get arranged by people who like the cut of the justices jib.

It sure as sh!t is. That threshold is incredibly low, for good reason.

Reactions: Ree4 and lucas80
It was ALWAYS included as part of the statutes the ethics rules were based upon.
Under the new rules, justices and other federal judges must report travel by private jet, as well as stays at commercial properties, such as hotels, resorts or hunting lodges.

The new regulations now require that judges disclose non-business stays at resorts, the use of private jets and instances when a third party reimburses a host for costs associated with a visit.

Gee, one would think if this was ALWAYS included it wouldn’t be part of the new rules that went into effect less than a month ago.

Under the new rules, justices and other federal judges must report travel by private jet, as well as stays at commercial properties, such as hotels, resorts or hunting lodges.
AGAIN: PREVIOUS standards for reporting on "hospitality" DID NOT INCLUDE free transportation.

Irrespective of any new guidance put in place.

AGAIN: PREVIOUS standards for reporting on "hospitality" DID NOT INCLUDE free transportation.

Irrespective of any new guidance put in place.
Travel wasn't explicitly stated in the old statute that was after Watergate, so therefore you are being disingenuous with your statement. Go figure.

Reactions: Finance85
Rules or not, the legal ethics guidelines on this are very very clear: if you have any potential conflict of interest, you disclose it and - if necessary - you recuse yourself.

Thomas has completely failed on this point. Which is easily an ethical lapse for ANY judge, let alone a SC one.
What real estate SC cases should Thomas recused himself from because of this? Please be specific. Why didn't RBG recuse herself when she officiated a same-sex wedding before the Obergefell decision that federally recognized gay marriage? Didn't see you fly off the handle about that....

The new regulations now require that judges disclose non-business stays at resorts, the use of private jets and instances when a third party reimburses a host for costs associated with a visit.

Gee, one would think if this was ALWAYS included it wouldn’t be part of the new rules that went into effect less than a month ago.

Right, he didn’t break the rules. He just took millions in gifts in exchange for access. No problem there.

The left has been trying to target Clarence Thomas since his confirmation hearings. This is just the latest round of trying to model day lynch a black man that doesn't follow leftist ideology.

Doesn't matter that he didn't technically break any rules or laws. We hate him and therefore he is guilty. We will go after him and anyone close to him until we find the crime and then we will bang the drum until a lie becomes the truth.

If you don't think this happens look at how the left treated Caitlin Clark for daring to be good at basketball while white

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
The left has been trying to target Clarence Thomas since his confirmation hearings. This is just the latest round of trying to model day lynch a black man that doesn't follow leftist ideology.

Doesn't matter that he didn't technically break any rules or laws. We hate him and therefore he is guilty. We will go after him and anyone close to him until we find the crime and then we will bang the drum until a lie becomes the truth.

If you don't think this happens look at how the left treated Caitlin Clark for daring to be good at basketball while white
staring-into-space-liz-birdsworth.gif

Reactions: HawkMD and lucas80
Is the argument that the rules for what SCOTUS’s need to disclose is too lenient because it includes exceptions for personal hospitality from individuals or that Thomas did something illegal?

The argument is that he is as unethical of a jurist as we have seen in my lifetime. He doesn’t t even pretend to be unbiased or to attempt to rule cases by their constitutional merit. He is a partisan hack, and this behavior is part of the proof.

"Leftist ideology" is grifting $$ from rich people so you'll uphold laws they like?

Why aren't the leftist SC justices in on this gig?

The argument is that he is as unethical of a jurist as we have seen in my lifetime. He doesn’t t even pretend to be unbiased or to attempt to rule cases by their constitutional merit. He is a partisan hack, and this behavior is part of the proof.
In other words he doesn't rule the way you would like him to.

Maybe he should check with you going forward on how to rule?

Care to.comment on your own racial bias?

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT