ADVERTISEMENT

Clarence Thomas

Yep.

At first I was a bit disgusted and then you see this is yet another attempt at a hatchet job on Thomas. Something the left has been doing to him since his confirmation hearings.

I don't know if he was right in accepting those trips or not but I do know the people attacking him aren't to be trusted.
I think people are more disgusted by the rule, or don’t know the rule.

Exactly. This should probably be looked into. I don't care his political affiliation.
It should be changed, and there have been calls for it, but it can’t be post-fact. All of them are following the same rules and have accepted hospitality trips or gigs from donors.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
Who would you trust to investigate?
Well in this case he is obviously within the law so no investigation needed on this one. Change the rules if this isn't the way it should be. I am unclear where I would stand on this because I don't think supreme court justices should be expected to be monks locked in their cell.

To answer your question I would think the Senate might have that oversight?

Well in this case he is obviously within the law so no investigation needed on this one. Change the rules if this isn't the way it should be. I am unclear where I would stand on this because I don't think supreme court justices should be expected to be monks locked in their cell.

To answer your question I would think the Senate might have that oversight?
This is not being a monk. This is accepting too much from one person. You can agree with this right? Most people would look at this as too much influence on a judge.

This is not being a monk. This is accepting too much from one person. You can agree with this right? Most people would look at this as too much influence on a judge.
Define too much. There is a reason the rule is written broadly. Too easy as we see here to try and play gotcha after the fact.

A public official in Iowa cant take more than $2.99 from the public,

Lol...Sadly he is hardly alone.

Reactions: Ree4
Define too much. There is a reason the rule is written broadly. Too easy as we see here to try and play gotcha after the fact.
What? Do you think C. Thomas should be doing what he did? This isn't hard. Is it ethical .. yes or no?

Reactions: Ree4
Depends doesn't it? Should he be restricted to who you believe he should spend time with and where rhat happens?
Haha. Should ANY Supreme Court judge be able to accept extravagant vacations from ANYONE .. individual or corporate?

This doesn’t seem to be new or exclusive to any one Justice.

They were all disclosed. Thomas’ trips were not.

Depends doesn't it? Should he be restricted to who you believe he should spend time with and where rhat happens?

This isn’t about who he spends time with. It’s about an Uber-rich guy, who is directly connected to many cases that have gone to the SC, financing the vacations of one of those judges, who never disclosed any of those trips.

I don’t see how anyone can say that’s remotely ethical at the very least.

They were all disclosed. Thomas’ trips were not.
No they weren’t. Sotomayor didn’t disclose her 6 trips paid by universities until 5 years later. The difference is those 6 were required by current law to be disclosed. Thomas’ trips with the Crow guy are exempt and don’t need to be disclosed per current laws/rules. There is a huge difference.

I guess to me I don’t understand the outrage to Thomas on this as much as the dumb rule that allows for hospitality from individuals which these appear to be. Was there this much outrage when Sotomayor failed to disclose 6 non-hospitality trips she was legally obligated to disclose? Is this just another R v L, my team v your team thing?
Those benefits would seem to go well beyond basic "hospitality".

Reactions: sober_teacher
Nothing like watching a bunch of old white people arguing over what is racist to black people. It's pretty odd and slightly entertaining, but I can't stop watching.

Thomas appears to have adhered to the current, albeit rather lenient, requirements,.. Perhaps these directives need to be updated...

Those benefits would seem to go well beyond basic "hospitality".
I’m not a legal beagle, but no where in my search does the rule/law define a difference between individual hospitality and basic individual hospitality. Since you are clearly an expert in law (and COVID, and train brakes, and SCOTUS, and ethics, and many others) you can elaborate on what is and isn’t legal in terms of basic and non-basic hospitality. Please show sources.

Reactions: hawkedoff
Thomas appears to have adhered to the current, albeit rather lenient, requirements

Except for the "reporting" part.

Which would open the door for Roberts to ask him to recuse himself on cases where the reported benefits were related to an entity who may have an interest in a case before the court.

When there's no reporting, there's no ability for that oversight.

I’m not a legal beagle, but no where in my search does the rule/law define a difference between individual hospitality and basic individual hospitality.

There's still a reporting requirement. Which other justices have used EVEN FOR paid appearances and travel for those appearances.

Reactions: sober_teacher
There's still a reporting requirement. Which other justices have used EVEN FOR paid appearances and travel for those appearances.
I don’t think there is a reporting requirement for individual hospitality. Not for SCOTUS. There is for other members of political sphere though.

Under the new regulations, judges still do not have to disclose gifts that include food, lodging or entertainment extended by an individual for a non-business purpose.

But the regulations clarify that judges must disclose stays at commercial properties, like hotels and resorts, and gifts of hospitality paid for by an entity or third-party other than the person providing it.

There are a few things in here that seem suspect, but others not so much. If they’re truly friends, then some of these are irrelevant such as time spent at his ranch and day trip on his boat in Georgia.

Un - plucking - believable.
And these guys are actually considered smart enough to vote.
And drive cars.
And buy guns.

No wonder we get dickheads like Orange Turds and DieSantis.

Reactions: Ree4 and BelemNole
Except for the "reporting" part.

Which would open the door for Roberts to ask him to recuse himself on cases where the reported benefits were related to an entity who may have an interest in a case before the court.

When there's no reporting, there's no ability for that oversight.

The things that he didn't report, appear to be exempt from the reporting requirement,... again, perhaps the current rules need to be looked at.

Reactions: hawkedoff
Un - plucking - believable.
And these guys are actually considered smart enough to vote.
And drive cars.
And buy guns.

No wonder we get dickheads like Orange Turds and DieSantis.
How so? Both of the examples provided fall under individual hospitality which don’t need to be disclosed. Hate the law, not one following the law.

The things that he didn't report, appear to be exempt from the reporting requirement,... again, perhaps the current rules need to be looked at.
Agree. Not sure why they get more lax reporting requirements than other members in politics.

I’m not a legal beagle, but no where in my search does the rule/law define a difference between individual hospitality and basic individual hospitality. Since you are clearly an expert in law (and COVID, and train brakes, and SCOTUS, and ethics, and many others) you can elaborate on what is and isn’t legal in terms of basic and non-basic hospitality. Please show sources.

Not a lawyer, but I would think someone paying for your vacation would be considered a “gift” at best, wouldn’t it?

And due to the lax or flat out nonexistent rules for the SC; this likely isn’t illegal per se , but it sure seems unethical as hell.

I don’t think there is a reporting requirement for individual hospitality. Not for SCOTUS. There is for other members of political sphere though.

Not sure either, which if nothing else is the point. This is the SC - they SHOULD be held to the highest standards.

Nothing like watching a bunch of old white people arguing over what is racist to black people. It's pretty odd and slightly entertaining, but I can't stop watching.
Gladiator GIF

Reactions: B1GDeal
How so? Both of the examples provided fall under individual hospitality which don’t need to be disclosed. Hate the law, not one following the law.

This guy literally paid for his vacations. That goes beyond mere hospitality I would think. It’s not like he put him up for a few days cuz a hotel reservation fell thru.

Reactions: Joes Place
This guy literally paid for his vacations. That goes beyond mere hospitality I would think. It’s not like he put him up for a few days cuz a hotel reservation fell thru.
The caveat seems to be that they weren’t on commercial jets or commercial properties. Since these are owned by his friend— plane, boat, properties, he doesn’t need report these per current law/rules.

I'll admit no to research on the matter, but media reports of decades of provided vacations, international flights, island trips, yacht stays, etc. do not quality as individual hospitality.

As a former government employee who has seen fellow employees lose careers for comparatively microscopic situations, this is a condition of scandalous behavior. I'll reserve judgement until more information comes out, but for christ sake, decades of paid for vacations by parties he was involved SC decisions?

My question is: Why do you defend behavior such as this? Even if "rules" or "codes" are not in place there is a personal ethical standard one would expect from a SC Justice.

You defend the Orange Turd regardless of evidence.

The caveat seems to be that they weren’t on commercial jets or commercial properties. Since these are owned by his friend— plane, boat, properties, he doesn’t need report these per current law/rules.

Right so he appears to not TECHNICALLY be in the wrong, but certainly seems to be ethically dubious at best.

Again demonstrating that SC needs better oversight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT