ADVERTISEMENT

Columbia grades

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
Ayala- A looked as good as I can remember seeing him and although I feel his ranking is way low! On Paper it should have been a match and it wasn't!!!

Schriever- A+ They had the columbia guy ranked 11? I am assuming this was correct.

Woods-A first period tech against a kid doing nothing

Rathjen B+ Not too sure how good his opponent was but did a nice job

Franek B still not looking like #2, kid was a funky scrambler. Made a nice adjustment on shot at start of 2nd wore kid down

Caliendo B+ he gets sloppy sometimes but is always pushing pace and attacking. Super slick Boot Shcoot!

Kennedy A looking like a TD machine, conditioning although not really tested looked better

Riggins c went hard, kept attacking, could not finish

Glazier B+, looked very solid, kept gaining steam as match went on, looking better and better to me!

Hill A first period tech, really went on the warpath, would like to see him with another 25 pounds of muscle!

NOTES - sorry for lack of details, kinda shot after watching sons match and right to this, IRON needs sleepy!!!

The columbia warm ups/uniforms were terrible!!! Look like a doctors scrubs with a letter on it. Someone help them out please!

Schriever easily looked like our best 33. Attacked , fought back, big tank for his first match. Didn't see any exhaustion at all.
I think he's our guy at 33.
He impressed me the most.
Kennedy, he's a great wrestler. Keep throwing him out there. Tank is the only reason he's not undefeated. He's going to be a force when he's back in shape.
Franek, not sure what to say. Let's hope he's one of those guys that wrestles to his level of competition.

Schriever easily looked like our best 33. Attacked , fought back, big tank for his first match. Didn't see any exhaustion at all.
Kennedy, he's a great wrestler. Keep throwing him out there. Tank is the only reason he's not undefeated. He's going to be a force when he's back in shape.
Franek, not sure what to say. Let's hope he's one of those guys that wrestles to his level of competition.
Absolutely, Schriever beat Rini from Columbia 4-2 in the Soldier Salute finals last year so assuming Rini has improved then Cullen has too. Let’s see what he can do.

Reactions: Sett1997
Drake A+ really looked great. This version of Drake looks like an AA
CS A took risks and was aggressive going to make it tough for TNT the rest of the year I think.
Real A what I expect real to do here
Rathjen A more exciting than vv imo opinion glad he got a win in front the home crowd.
Franek b still not looking the part of his ranking
Caliendo B looked good tonight was going for more than he got but nice effort.
Kennedy A hopeful he's back on track
Riggins B I think the weight disadvantage really was obvious here. Riggins was clearly in much better shape and was close a number of times but just quite enough horsepower.
Glacier A+ quickly becoming a favorite of mine pushed pace for seven minutes
Hill A in a season where he will take a lot of lumps I was glad to see him look good at Carver.

Overall the whole team looked really good tonight against an inferior opponent. It was really fun to see in a number of matches most noticeable being 133 where our guy was clearly better conditioned and was able tire his opponent out and finish him like a Kangaroo will do to a dog in a river.

Very small crowd tonight and not a lot of competive matches so Carver felt low energy. Royce Alger at half time was fun though.

Last edited:
Fun to watch Iowa tune up against a minor league squad.

The 3-point takedown makes a difference in this type of match-up; easier and faster to close things out against a lesser opponent.

Anyone grading Franek or Caliendo a 'B' (or below a semi-starter) probably needs to recalibrate somewhat. Both looked solid, and Caliendo, to me, was the most interesting match of the night. Dude is dynamic on his feet and enjoyable to watch from start to finish.

I also enjoyed listening to Marinelli and Young on the call--personable and attentive to technical aspects of individual matches, with nice insights based on their experience in the room.

Good performance overall, with some slight exceptions. But thoroughly unimpressed with the opponent, also with some slight exceptions.

Want to give a shout out to Columbia. They’ve now started their season dualing Ohio State, Michigan, and Iowa. As well as going to CKLV. That takes some nuts and apparently that team doesn’t back down from anyone. They weren’t in Iowas league, but deserve some credit for showing up imo.

Cullen was definitely an A but his bottom game is still not good enough. With the new scoring system, it is not as important but Rini was beginning to look like Backpack. I really thought he was going to choose top rather than defer in 2nd.

Cullen was definitely an A but his bottom game is still not good enough. With the new scoring system, it is not as important but Rini was beginning to look like Backpack. I really thought he was going to choose top rather than defer in 2nd.
Teske bad on bottom too.

Reactions: sdvike

The 3-point takedown makes a difference in this type of match-up; easier and faster to close things out against a lesser opponent.

Anyone grading Franek or Caliendo a 'B' (or below a semi-starter) probably needs to recalibrate somewhat. Both looked solid, and Caliendo, to me, was the most interesting match of the night. Dude is dynamic on his feet and enjoyable to watch from start to finish.

I also enjoyed listening to Marinelli and Young on the call--personable and attentive to technical aspects of individual matches, with nice insights based on their experience in the room.
Franek looked solid but for a guy ranked #2 vs an unranked guy that was a B at best.

Reactions: iowa_native
Ditto WRT Shriever, PK and Franek. PK and Shriever (awesome motor) looked very impressive. Franek, not so much. I didn’t pay attention to Franek at NCAAs last year but based on what I’ve seen so far this year I’m projecting 8-12 at NCAAs in March if he doesn’t pick it up. He’s keeping easily beatable guys in matches and we all know how that can translate in March.

Reactions: Sett1997

Go to the video and listen to Marinelli towards the beginning of the Franek match; he was saying how Franek was all about continuous attacking and scoring lots of points. I was wondering if Alex had mixed up Franek’s cheat sheet with Caliendo’s. LOL! And I’m OK with Caliendo getting a B but not Franek. He did not impress, not even close. I love his blue collar hardcore riding style but he made a very average wrestler look good…again. Didn’t pay attention to him at NCAAs last year but this version will not get him back to 4th place let alone be a finalist. I’m a huge Franek fan but he needs more offense.

Go to the video and listen to Marinelli towards the beginning of the Franek match; he was saying how Franek was all about continuous attacking and scoring lots of points. I was wondering if Alex had mixed up Franek’s cheat sheet with Caliendo’s. LOL! And I’m OK with Caliendo getting a B but not Franek. He did not impress, not even close. I love his blue collar hardcore riding style but he made a very average wrestler look good…again. Didn’t pay attention to him at NCAAs last year but this version will not get him back to 4th place let alone be a finalist. I’m a huge Franek fan but he needs more offense.
Franek is the same guy he's always been. He will win controlled/defensive decisions. Splash an occasional major in. Think Brandon Sorensen-esque.

Jared Franek (27-3) placed 4th and scored 13.5 team points.

• Champ. Round 1 - Jared Franek (North Dakota State) 27-3 won by major decision over Corbyn Munson (Central Michigan) 26-14 (MD 10-1)
  • Champ. Round 2 - Jared Franek (North Dakota State) 27-3 won by decision over Trevor Chumbley (Northwestern) 26-9 (Dec 5-3)
  • Quarterfinal - Josh Humphreys (Lehigh) 21-1 won by decision over Jared Franek (North Dakota State) 27-3 (Dec 5-2)
  • Cons. Round 4 - Jared Franek (North Dakota State) 27-3 won by decision over Vinny Zerban (Northern Colorado) 22-13 (Dec 7-3)
  • Cons. Round 5 - Jared Franek (North Dakota State) 27-3 won by decision over Will Lewan (Michigan) 24-9 (Dec 3-2)
  • Cons. Semi - Jared Franek (North Dakota State) 27-3 won in sudden victory - 1 over Peyton Robb (Nebraska) 28-4 (SV-1 3-1)
  • 3rd Place Match - Josh Humphreys (Lehigh) 21-1 won by major decision over Jared Franek (North Dakota State) 27-3 (MD 8-0)

I get what you're saying about last night's performance; maybe Franek didn't light it up as much as he could have in terms of going for the major. That said, I thought Jaden Le put up a decent fight compared to some of the other guys we saw on the mat last night. My perception is that Franek and Caliendo bring a different and, to me, a fresh dynamic that stands out compared to some of the other guys. Not looking to quibble over grades--just think the Hawks are fortunate to have them in the line up.

I also like listening but them not understanding the new stalking rules is a huge miss. To their credit, they had Wedge clarify them at intermission and reported back.

Reactions: iowa_native
Finally saw Kolby Franklin sitting with Arnold Friday? What happened to him? He beat Glaizer last year. They used him in the Wisconsin dual. Thought those two would be battling it out this year.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Finally saw Kolby Franklin sitting with Arnold Friday? What happened to him? He beat Glaizer last year. They used him in the Wisconsin dual. Thought those two would be battling it out this year.
Glazer is hot, but will ride pine most of the second semester if AJ comes since they didn’t qualify him at 184.

I get what you're saying about last night's performance; maybe Franek didn't light it up as much as he could have in terms of going for the major. That said, I thought Jaden Le put up a decent fight compared to some of the other guys we saw on the mat last night. My perception is that Franek and Caliendo bring a different and, to me, a fresh dynamic that stands out compared to some of the other guys. Not looking to quibble over grades--just think the Hawks are fortunate to have them in the line up.
We are better with Franek than without. Ferrari probably goes 157 without him, now we still get Ferrari at 149, with veteran AA at 157. He may beat some top guys by similar close scores as he beats the guys you expect him to tech or pin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT