ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to Flo on prognostication of Iowa chances

Once again a post from Flo that misses the opportunity to say something positive about Iowa. You could just as easily said I missed some picks and didn't give Iowa enough credit. It was a nice win for Iowa. Instead we got that response, but hey we already know you think everyone on here wears a tinfoil hat.

Did you notice that all the somewhat close ones were picked for OSU even with it at Carver Hawkeye? Stoll was clearly the favorite and so was Lee. The Bull and Bowman should have received some love. That is what I call "clear bias". Flo looks foolish again.

Predictions are what they are. This dual went our way and I think most of us thought that Iowa would win the "near" toss ups at 25 and 65 and that would be the difference. Many on HR thought Bowman would pull out the win, but others thought 97 would be a win for us. Almost everyone thought we would bonus big at 57 and we didn't. So it's, whatever.

I have issues with Flo on occasion, but then again I have issues with almost everyone on occasion, but at least where I am concerned, when I predict sporting events, when it's all said and done, I want to be right, so I find it a little hard to believe someone picking against us match by match is a sign of bias in any way. Why would guys who want to be experts, want to be wrong? I think they called it how they saw it, and ended up being wrong, except for Nomad, who is obviously the most talented of the bunch. He only missed one match (84). Now that is skill! Way to go Nomad, your predictions matched what HR was thinking, you are the expert at Flo!!

Apologies, Hawk fans.

it's inexcusable.

I just held a meeting with the Flo staff and told them that when making all future predictions they must pick Iowa or an Iowa wrestler.

You guys certainly weren't wrong for picking OKSt...the favorite on paper. And yes, some of these comments that make it sound like it definitely should have been Iowa are way over the top. That being said, you're obviously going to get called out when you pick it wrong. Don't be so easily offended Willie...isn't that YOUR definition of snowflake...constantly?

Once again a post from Flo that misses the opportunity to say something positive about Iowa. You could just as easily said I missed some picks and didn't give Iowa enough credit. It was a nice win for Iowa. Instead we got that response, but hey we already know you think everyone on here wears a tinfoil hat.

This is the type of amateurism they keep displaying. Predictions are fun you cannot expect them to always be correct. But these type of responses from "professionals" that represent a business or organization are clownish and make them just look silly.

Some of you people are so stupid and whiney, it blows my mind. Our team is an underdog working their way up the rankings, and earning everybody’s respect along the way. I don’t fault Flo or anyone else for picking against us.

The Hawks are a young unproven team who doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt until they earn it. And they’re doing a damn good job of silencing critics. We have a good chance of finishing in the top 3-4 right now, and it wouldn’t surprise me with the addition of Downey if Flo and every other media outlet shift the conversation going forward to whether or not we have a chance at upsetting PSU and fOSU.

:D:D C'mon guys. I'm not offended nor am i trying to be unprofessional. i'm joking, of course.

no one picked OKST to win b/c they 'wanted' okst to win. okst was the favorite on paper before the match. if you don't agree with that, you need your head examined. there were tons of toss ups (i was the only one to pick bowman, btw).

no one, including vegas, had JAX or PHI winning this weekend either.

making picks isn't an example of bias. never understood that. the matches will be wrestled. handicappers will have to answer for their picks. it's not like we actually determine the outcome lol.

call them wrong if you want. but bias has nothing to do with it.

iowa answered the bell and showed out. multiple times this year. be happy (as i am) that Iowa is outperforming (non-iowan) expectations.

Apologies, Hawk fans.

it's inexcusable.

I just held a meeting with the Flo staff and told them that when making all future predictions they must pick Iowa or an Iowa wrestler.

Sad attempt at sarcasm. No Iowa fan would expect that Flo predicts the Hawks to win every match, but...Piccininni over Lee??!! That was beyond laughable - anyone who would predict Picc to win, clearly has limited understanding of wrestling. And White over Stoll?! Also the predictions that Rutgers would win in the dual, and the Hawks wouldn't win Midlands.

For a long time it's been very apparent to me that Flo Wrestling is not a serious wrestling media outlet (as far as their correspondents - things like the documentaries are pretty good). Their business model appears to be two-fold:

1) Be inflammatory/outrageous, hoping that this will result in more clicks and people talking about Flo. This is pathetic and has driven people away from Flo. It underscores the fact that Flo exists to make money, not to provide the wrestling community with quality material - those two are not mutually exclusive, I fully expect Flo to attempt to be profitable, but not at the expense of credibility - for me, and I believe it's the same for many, FLO HAS LONG AGO LOST ANY CREDIBILITY AS A REPUTABLE WRESTLING SOURCE. I just dismiss them as loud-mouth, blowing hot air.

2) Maximize profits by employing a customer service approach that is not customer-friendly. They are antagonistic and alienate customers by having an attitude that Flo is always right, the customer is always wrong - this plays out when there are financial issues.

:D:D C'mon guys. I'm not offended nor am i trying to be unprofessional. i'm joking, of course.

no one picked OKST to win b/c they 'wanted' okst to win. okst was the favorite on paper before the match. if you don't agree with that, you need your head examined. there were tons of toss ups (i was the only one to pick bowman, btw).

making picks isn't an example of bias. never understood that. the matches will be wrestled. handicappers will have to answer for their picks. it's not like we actually determine the outcome lol.

iowa answered the bell and showed out. multiple times this year. be happy (as i am) that Iowa is outperforming (non-iowan) expectations.

Just figure out who's going to win each match and by how much. Add it up it all up and then - pick Iowa. You guys are so stupid.

Reactions: honkey69

I for one really do not have a problem with who you pick as you are entitled to your opinion. Since you are a wrestling site that covers all schools you conceivably could have a lessor right to not being totally objective than say a psu or rutgers or an Iowa fan when viewing their individual teams. However, the problem comes when you get defensive when an Iowa fan is critical of something Flo states...at least that’s “my opinion”. Think that you need to just realize that all fans have their opinions about their repective teams and should be allowed to have those opinions just as you are with yours.

Reactions: Huck and artradley
Predictions are what they are. This dual went our way and I think most of us thought that Iowa would win the "near" toss ups at 25 and 65 and that would be the difference. Many on HR thought Bowman would pull out the win, but others thought 97 would be a win for us. Almost everyone thought we would bonus big at 57 and we didn't. So it's, whatever.

I have issues with Flo on occasion, but then again I have issues with almost everyone on occasion, but at least where I am concerned, when I predict sporting events, when it's all said and done, I want to be right, so I find it a little hard to believe someone picking against us match by match is a sign of bias in any way. Why would guys who want to be experts, want to be wrong? I think they called it how they saw it, and ended up being wrong, except for Nomad, who is obviously the most talented of the bunch. He only missed one match (84). Now that is skill! Way to go Nomad, your predictions matched what HR was thinking, you are the expert at Flo!!

Flo isn't interested in being experts, only in making money - all they do is geared towards that, not in being a credible wrestling media outlet.

I don’t think a Picc over Lee prediction was necessarily laughable. I personally expected Lee to win, but once again a lot of people would probably want to see it first to believe it. Quite frankly, Lee was lucky to get a big early lead, because without it he would have lost the match wrestling the way he did in periods 2 & 3.

Sad attempt at sarcasm. No Iowa fan would expect that Flo predicts the Hawks to win every match, but...Piccininni over Lee??!! That was beyond laughable - anyone who would predict Picc to win, clearly has limited understanding of wrestling. And White over Stoll?! Also the predictions that Rutgers would win in the dual, and the Hawks wouldn't win Midlands.

For a long time it's been very apparent to me that Flo Wrestling is not a serious wrestling media outlet (as far as their correspondents - things like the documentaries are pretty good). Their business model appears to be two-fold:

1) Be inflammatory/outrageous, hoping that this will result in more clicks and people talking about Flo. This is pathetic and has driven people away from Flo. It underscores the fact that Flo exists to make money, not to provide the wrestling community with quality material - those two are not mutually exclusive, I fully expect Flo to attempt to be profitable, but not at the expense of credibility - for me, and I believe it's the same for many, FLO HAS LONG AGO LOST ANY CREDIBILITY AS A REPUTABLE WRESTLING SOURCE. I just dismiss them as loud-mouth, blowing hot air.

2) Maximize profits by employing a customer service approach that is not customer-friendly. They are antagonistic and alienate customers by having an attitude that Flo is always right, the customer is always wrong - this plays out when there are financial issues.

I'm guessing most of the criticism is coming from those who merely looked at the predictions spreadsheet. If you actually listen to the floguys and their "bias," they actually discuss the possible outcome and provide reasons for their picks typically. I love flo and on occasion will argue with some things I hear on it, but typically the argument they provide is justifiable. Iowa has more coverage then any other program this season, even if some of it is predictions for them to lose.

Flo isn't interested in being experts, only in making money - all they do is geared towards that, not in being a credible wrestling media outlet.
Just like anyone else that is trying to build an audience, I am sure the guys want Flo to be profitable, but also just like most everyone else, they want to be recognized as the best in their field individually.

Say what you want about Flo and who they favor, because you might be right, but I believe that someone like Willie or CP want to work their way in to a position of being an expert at what they do. They travel extensively, they live and breath wrestling it's clear to me that they are working to be respected wrestling experts.

Are they experts??? Are they Media or Reporters??? Not by traditional standards, can't remember Keith Jackson ever getting in to 3 or 4 public arguments each month, but they are what they are. Then again, if we are counting MSNBC, CNN and FOX as media, Flo is more trustworthy that any of those, so.....

i'm ok with being wrong. i'm not comfortable having my motives questioned. and (rebuttal to above comment) I don't have any problem with people's opinions. but it's only Flo's opinions that are being called in to question on at least three different threads on this board.

For the sake of simplicity - here were my picks
125: Wrong: Picc - returning 4th over Tr. FR
133: Right
141: Right
149: Right
157: Right
165: Wrong: another toss up and again went with more experienced guy
174: Right
184: Right
197: Right
285: Right

not sure how that can be construed as biased

Name me a credible national media outlet that exists today? I bet if you list 20 of them, we would have a hard time getting 50% of HR to agree that any of them are credible.

Willie, why not post your picks in the first place? Why was it necessary to post a sarcastic dig at Iowa fans? I have no issues with your picks and they are after all your opinion. The reason for my post was your response and the way that was handled.

Rise above it or wallow in it.

my picks (that were being criticized) were posted several times on other threads.

are you suggesting people were criticizing the picks without seeing them? cause that would be bizarre.

Reactions: AFHawk86

I agree with Willie...I picked Iowa because I am an Iowa guy but I only had us by a point and thought there was a decent chance we would lose. It’s dealing with the known vs the unknown. Spencer still has to prove himself along with some other guys and he and Marinelli started doing exactly that yesterday. They don’t know what a guy like Bowman is capable of...that he can win matches like yesterday’s.

I think we are going to lose two matches this year with Michigan being a dog fight.

So I have no problem with Flo’s picks. It’s nice to be the underdog.

Apologies, Hawk fans.

it's inexcusable.

Nah, you've got your excuses, but you will ALWAYS underestimate Hawkeyes. It's good for poking the bear ( the largest, most involved fan base in college wrestling). It's what you do, because it's good for business, and you love it. What gives it away is your consistent pleasure at picking against the Hawks.

THIS.

I agree with Willie...I picked Iowa because I am an Iowa guy but I only had us by a point and thought there was a decent chance we would lose. It’s dealing with the known vs the unknown. Spencer still has to prove himself along with some other guys and he and Marinelli started doing exactly that yesterday. They don’t know what a guy like Bowman is capable of...that he can win matches like yesterday’s.

I think we are going to lose two matches this year with Michigan being a dog fight.

So I have no problem with Flo’s picks. It’s nice to be the underdog.
Chief, it IS nice to be the underdog, and yes, we may get crushed by fOSU and PSU, plus some tough dogfight duals with Michigan or Mizzou (if we wrestled them). But the consistency of Willie's bias gives it away. When there is an unknown vs and unknown, or a credible chance that we might lose, Willie always picks against us.

i'm ok with being wrong. i'm not comfortable having my motives questioned. and (rebuttal to above comment) I don't have any problem with people's opinions. but it's only Flo's opinions that are being called in to question on at least three different threads on this board.

For the sake of simplicity - here were my picks
125: Wrong: Picc - returning 4th over Tr. FR
133: Right
141: Right
149: Right
157: Right
165: Wrong: another toss up and again went with more experienced guy
174: Right
184: Right
197: Right
285: Right

not sure how that can be construed as biased

No problem at all with your picks, I will also give you the fact that CP baited you into picking Pich, even though it obviously wasn't a bad pick. If anything would make you want to pick against the Hawks it would probably be this board (myself included). I also expect some bias, it has an effect on everyone on multiple things we choose in life, no matter how much we fight it. I think you are better off ignoring some on here.

Things I disagree with you on; The ref was pro Iowa. He definitely made some bad calls and they didn't have an effect on the match as a whole. (John Smith team pt deduction - that was crap, don't let a match like that come down to a team pt on a petty call, not calling stalling consistently, Stoll locked hands, Stoll no takedown) Yes the calls went our way and I think it more had to do with the refs ego rather than him being pro Iowa. If he was so pro Iowa, why did he say, "they say it is two," to the score table after his call was reversed? I think if he was the one reviewing it wouldn't have been changed and the locked hands wouldn't have been changed either. The independent ref has been great as we have watched to many refs refuse to overturn their calls in the past. I do not think it is his integrity that you are possibly contending but his ego.

Stop saying Stoll has a bunch of 1-2 matches, he is not Tony Nelson. He has close matches with top guys, and was a little rusty at the first tournament. 13 matches, only 4 decisions (4-3, 8-2, 2-1 and 6-4). 6 falls, 2 DQ's, 1 Major Decision. The DQ's wouldn't have been regular decisions either.

This is the type of amateurism they keep displaying. Predictions are fun you cannot expect them to always be correct. But these type of responses from "professionals" that represent a business or organization are clownish and make them just look silly.
Don't respond to criticism and stay above the fray? He's a regular guy that happens to have a job in wrestling media. I believe his personality as much as his expertise helped him land the job. Do you expect Willie to be more professional than the POTUS?
While I may approach things differently if I was in his shoes, Willie gonna Willie and I'm ok with it even when I don't agree with his POV.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT