ADVERTISEMENT

Connor officially back

d1264-6ac8d3317ff87d0822a73b4926dd5521__77116.1588259992.jpg

Franisdaman is definitely the Connor McCaffery of Hawkeye Report. He won't go away. FM can never do anything wrong in his eyes. He thinks he's in charge. He never scores. When he does, it's a frickin a miracle. He gets butthurt when people disagree with him online... and there's a small group of people who like him for reasons unknown

You never played competitive team sports did you?
What does this have to do with anything?
Teams I have played on, generally, better players led to better results.

What is your experience with competitive teams sports that lead to this response?

Prepare yourself @BrunoMars420 , this is the part where old white guys try to explain why Connor McCaffery is good because of his decision making and glue and defensive help or something
They are big fans of the sweet post entry passes and basketball players that bring nothing to the table other than #glue

Connor has avg 21.7 mins in his career. So we can assume he is taking minutes away from the younger guards who have higher ceilings and potential better portal guards lol. Pretty sick!

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Prepare yourself @BrunoMars420 , this is the part where old white guys try to explain why Connor McCaffery is good because of his decision making and glue and defensive help or something
You mean all those old white guys who have watched college basketball for longer than you've been alive? Those guys? I await in anticipation for educated opinions unlike some posts on here.

You mean all those old white guys who have watched college basketball for longer than you've been alive? Those guys? I await in anticipation for educated opinions unlike some posts on here.
Trying to sound smarter than someone while simultaneously arguing in favor of connor getting p5 minutes. Effing hilarious

I’ll be glad when this covid super senior trend ends..... not an indictment of Connor just think it is detrimental to the younger players on the roster

not convinced JBO playing was as productive last year as many of you are..... seemed to me we lost/struggled more games because of his defense and lack of athleticism ..... than we won because of his scoring

playing time is the best way to develop players and these guys playing 6 years are interfering with that imo..... how much better would Uhlis’s game be now if he’d had some of the JBO minutes? no way to know

disclaimer: I wrestled and know very little about basketball admittedly but those thoughts carry over to most team sports I would think

and I’m an old white guy btw so you millennials can suck it

Last edited:
I’ll be glad when this covid super senior trend ends..... not an indictment of Connor just think it is detrimental to the younger players on the roster

not convinced JBO playing last year was as productive last year as many of you are..... seemed to me we lost/struggled more games because of his defense and lack of athleticism ..... than we won because of his scoring

playing time is the best way to develop players and these guys playing 6 years are interfering with that imo..... how much better would Uhlis’s game be now if he’d had some of the JBO minutes? no way to know

disclaimer: I wrestled and know very little about basketball admittedly but those thoughts carry over to most team sports I would think

I think you’re spot on. And I’m a semi-old white guy.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
Today I learned from the Fran White Knights is that if you don’t think Connor is good you are in the minority. He avgs 2.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 35% FG, and 72% FT in 17 mins. That’s good, right?
What is his Assist/Turnover ratio? How does that compare to other players in the country Mister Genius?

not convinced JBO playing last year was as productive last year as many of you are..... seemed to me we lost/struggled more games because of his defense and lack of athleticism ..... than we won because of his scoring

There's a lot of truth/good points in your post, but completely disagree regarding losing more games because of Jordan playing (just on a strictly numbers basis, the Hawks won a lot more than they lost).

Ulis needs to discover a jump shot at the collegiate level, 5 or 10 more minutes per game last year wouldn't have done that, his role in the offense wouldn't have changed. Hopefully 20,000 shots this summer does.

Today I learned from the Fran White Knights is that if you don’t think Connor is good you are in the minority. He avgs 2.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 35% FG, and 72% FT in 17 mins. That’s good, right?

I think anyone who has played basketbal knows how valuable Connor is. I support him coming back. 2.5 points? Whatever - we lead the country in scoring every single year!

He does a lot of positive things that don't show up in the stat sheet. He's al hustle, grit - he's not afraid to take a charge. He's a vocal leader. You brought up his measely point average. Watch the stretch of games, where we finished 12-2. He's constantly moving the ball, making the defense defend on their heels, opening up driving lanes for Perkins. He gets everyone in the correct spot. There's this play I recall: Connor feeding Keegan on the block - back to the basket, yet Keegan is a little too far from the basket - passes back to Connor (standing on the perimeter), Connor allows Keegan to reset and get in better position and quick bounce pass. Turn over the shoulder and basket. Efficiency.

Look up Draymond Green's playoffs stats. He's averaging about 6 points right now but he's the engine of the whole team.

Last edited:
100x better than bringing back ash lol

I think anyone who has played basketbal knows how valuable Connor is. I support him coming back. 2.5 points? Whatever - we lead the country in scoring every single year!

He does a lot of positive things that don't show up in the stat sheet. He's al hustle, grit - he's not afraid to take a charge. He's a vocal leader. He MOVES the ball and gets everyone else in the correct spots. Look up Draymond Green's playoffs stats. He's averaging about 6 points right now but he's the engine of the whole team.
Draymond also avgs 7 assist and 7 rebounds with a block and steal a game while shooting 53% FG. He is also one of the best defensive players in the league. Connor can’t produce and is an avg defender. That was a horrible comparison lol

He does a lot of positive things that don't show up in the stat sheet. He's al hustle, grit - he's not afraid to take a charge. He's a vocal leader. He MOVES the ball and gets everyone else in the correct spots. Look up Draymond Green's playoffs stats. He's averaging about 6 points right now but he's the engine of the whole team.
Its not all about scoring and Cmac does some good things, but please don't compare him to Draymond Green. The only similarity is that neither is a great scorer but still Green is averaging 7.5 points on 52% shooting, 7 rebounds, and 7 assists per game this season. He's been on the NBA All Defensive team 6 years. If Connor's numbers were close to that or if he had close to Green's talent no one would be complaining about his minutes.

There's a lot of truth/good points in your post, but completely disagree regarding losing more games because of Jordan playing (just on a strictly numbers basis, the Hawks won a lot more than they lost).

Ulis needs to discover a jump shot at the collegiate level, 5 or 10 more minutes per game last year wouldn't have done that, his role in the offense wouldn't have changed. Hopefully 20,000 shots this summer does.
That is kind of a strange post considering we won 26 games, (most in school history), and we got hot when JBO went pack to the point guard. Not saying you can put all that success on him, BUT you sure as hell can't claim him playing cost us a bunch of losses either, because thats obviously not true. I would agree though that his playing again and CMAC's return could in fact be detrimental to younger players growth. Certainly it was a factor in Joe T moving on. Whether that is a net loss, we'll see next season....

For the stat guys - CMac's ranking on the team per 40 minutes played (only included the guys in the rotation), compared to the more "talented" Ulis -

CMac rank 1st, then Ulis - out of 10 guys

2 pt% 8, 10
3 pt% 5, 6
FT% 7, 5
Rebs 5, 6
Ast 3, 2
Stl 6, 5
TO's 1, 9
Pts 10, 9

Conclusion - None.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
For the stat guys - CMac's ranking on the team per 40 minutes played (only included the guys in the rotation), compared to the more "talented" Ulis -

CMac rank 1st, then Ulis - out of 10 guys

2 pt% 8, 10
3 pt% 5, 6
FT% 7, 5
Rebs 5, 6
Ast 3, 2
Stl 6, 5
TO's 1, 9
Pts 10, 9

Conclusion - None.
I would agree that both players were relatively ineffective last year. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that people are thinking that the player entering his 6th year with 5 years of meaningful minutes might have less upside than the guy entering his 3rd year with 1 year of meaningful minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT