ADVERTISEMENT

contact with gary barta

Bowlsby wanted to bring in Terry Allen. Thank god that got shot down.
I knew TA at the time. They were good friends and as much as they both might have liked it BBtold him right from the start he couldn't do it. I have no idea if BB had been told he couldn't or just knew he couldn't

Bowlsby screwed the pooch with Bob Stoops. Bob absolutely would have taken the Iowa job. Bowlsby couldn't stand having the Elliott coaches around. Bob would have quickly developed a widespread constituency and at the big donor level. That large and deep pocket constituency would have placed Bob beyond Bowlsby's control. Having played a minor figure when Hayden, Dr. Davis and the original wild man Dan, were effectively beyond his control, the bureaucratic climber was not going to hire anyone that could challenge him again. That's a tried and true method of climbing that proverbial bureaucratic ladder.

And the "we're just Iowa" is a recognition of reality not a defeatist attitude. We're never going to keep up with big market/media cache programs. There are a myriad of reasons over the last 60 years that support that conclusion.

That's why its so fun when we do have 10/11 or more win seasons. Be more grateful for what we have and less jealous of what we haven't. Only four losing seasons in the last twenty years, only two in the last 18 years and 1 of those was 6-7 following a bowl loss. A 12 win season is much more recent than a losing season. Hell, a 12 win season is more recent than the last only 7 win season. If the bookies are right the boys will defeat USC and go out on a ten win season, and that is a very good year at Iowa. Think of how many schools would love to have Iowa's record over the last 20, and especially the last 18 seasons.

Last edited:
Good call. Yeah @LaQuintaHawkeye has been calling for Kirk’s head for as long as I’ve been active on here. It’s comedic actually. But he’s got a good point...why don’t we just hire Saban, urban, stoops, Harbaugh. Hell, I don’t see why Belichick wouldn’t want to come to Iowa City. It’s that easy!! Let’s just hire one of them.
At least I know Iowa had 9 wins last year...not 10.

1. One poster suggested that if I was so close to athletic dept., I should contact GB about my concerns over the offense, running game , and BF. So I did I wrote him nice note and he sent one back to me thanking me for the stuff I have done for the athletics dept. In the second part of the note he did the party line, I trustKF completely, after the season they review the entire program, etc.,etc

You mentioned in another thread you were treated to lunch this summer by a member of the athletic department. Would you mind sharing that individual’s title?

I’m confused by the intent of this post. But from my inference, you may be one of the many fools on here who would rather fire our coach every 3 years like Nebraska in hope for an unrealistic goal of a national championship. Am I correct?
I realized even after we went 12-0 that fans will never be satisfied and will still bitch about something.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawk21
Bowlsby wanted to bring in Terry Allen. Thank god that got shot down.
This is true! Ferentz was encouraged to apply by Leftover staff ... after interviews with Long, Patterson, Allen and Stoops were already scheduled...and the tea leaves were for BB railroading a deal with Allen.

Allen was all but inked. Stoops walked out, Ferentz was the last interview, there was a ‘team meeting called in Lawrence the day of KF’s interview.

The UI President’s office, UI Foundation, and bowlsby’s office were inundated with calls and faxes.
Search committee member Marv Cook (search committee was Marv, Mark Jennings, R Driscoll and Ann Rhonds)told BB he couldn’t hire Allen. BB called allen. Allen changed the meeting to lovefest- never leaving Lawrence message ...Ferentz was hired.

BB looked ashen and hardly anyone talked to him during Ferentz welcome reception at the UIFoundation after the introductory press conference.

Everyone was pissed about stoops, but relieved with Ferentz, as many of us knew him and his work from his prior stint at Iowa.
I did speak to BB- told him he made a great hire :) he said thanks.

Marv Cook saved Iowa football.

irony is, BB used this as an excuse to grab power from the university, and was able to go without a search committee for the BB search.
Search committee produced Ferentz and prevented Terry Allen. Solo search by BB produced Steve Alford. red tape has benefits!

1. One poster suggested that if I was so close to athletic dept., I should contact GB about my concerns over the offense, running game , and BF. So I did I wrote him nice note and he sent one back to me thanking me for the stuff I have done for the athletics dept. In the second part of the note he did the party line, I trustKF completely, after the season they review the entire program, etc.,etc

You know that every time Iowa wins (been three in a row now) you look even dumber and more and more like a whiny little bitch, right?

So how hard are you rooting for USC in the bowl game?

Good job! But it's easy for him to basically blow- off one letter like yours. It would be much more difficult for him to blow- off an online petition signed by 20k or 30k fans asking for a new OC. Have you thought about organizing something like that?

Good job! But it's easy for him to basically blow- off one letter like yours. It would be much more difficult for him to blow- off an online petition signed by 20k or 30k fans asking for a new OC. Have you thought about organizing something like that?

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Start it up.

This will be hilarious.

Hard part on this one is knowing that this would take 5-6 months to get off the ground. You'll have to figure out what screename you'll have 6 months from now.

Good luck.

In my note he didn't answer any of my "concerns" he stated as I said I trust KF basically end of story except for some platitudes

All he did is look up, is he a season ticket holder? NOPE. Is he a donor? NOPE. okay dictate this, FU! Luvs and kisses, Gar Bar.

Reactions: caseyballzz
I fall in between both sides of the debate. I appreciate KF and think he does an amazing job compared to most. The record and consistency speaks for themselves. With that said, I do feel he needs to take a look at the offense and how we can do things a little different and still keep the core of his philosophy. Every great leader and coach has to adapt at times.

I think Iowa fans should realistically expect us to compete for conference titles more times than not with the amount of resources that we put into the FB program. I know people scoff at the idea of a national title but really, we are closer than 80% of D1 schools to it right now. Any program that is in the top 25 regularly should have that as one of their goals.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
I realized even after we went 12-0 that fans will never be satisfied and will still bitch about something.
First off, no one that I’m aware of complained about that season. Maybe how we were exposed in the Rose Bowl, but even that was marginal.

Second, if you’re happy being a one hit wonder...(in division titles)...then you and your kind on here are not true Hawkeyes. This year it was there for the taking and once again we didn’t take advantage. How many has our peer Wisconsin had? Also, how many 10-win (or more) seasons have they had compared to Iowa the past 20 years?

My measuring stick is Wisconsin, ever since they hired Barry, they have been what we should aspire to and achieve. Why can’t Kirk get us there? Oh, that’s right, we’re only Iowa and that’s football. Pathetic some of you have bought into this defeatist mindset.

I’m still hopeful we can get another division title before Kirk finally hangs it up, but with how others in our division are getting better, along with sconnie going no where, it will only be a harder.

First off, no one that I’m aware of complained about that season. Maybe how we were exposed in the Rose Bowl, but even that was marginal.

Second, if you’re happy being a one hit wonder...(in division titles)...then you and your kind on here are not true Hawkeyes. This year it was there for the taking and once again we didn’t take advantage. How many has our peer Wisconsin had? Also, how many 10-win (or more) seasons have they had compared to Iowa the past 20 years?

My measuring stick is Wisconsin, ever since they hired Barry, they have been what we should aspire to and achieve. Why can’t Kirk get us there? Oh, that’s right, we’re only Iowa and that’s football. Pathetic some of you have bought into this defeatist mindset.

I’m still hopeful we can get another division title before Kirk finally hangs it up, but with how others in our division are getting better, along with sconnie going no where, it will only be a harder.

You're not terribly honest, are you?

Wisconsin isn't a good comparison for Iowa for a number of reasons that I know you're well aware of.

Lol at your last graph about "others in our division getting better." Is that Minny, coached by a guy who's 0-4 against KF, or Nebbie, coached by a guy who's 0-2 against KF? Illinois, coached by a guy who's 0-4 against KF? Purdue who dropped from 6-7 last year to 4-8 this year, or Northwestern who won the West last year and then won one conference game this year?

We were two points away from Wisky at their place this year. Those guys are on scholarship too.

Reactions: iafan44
This is true! Ferentz was encouraged to apply by Leftover staff ... after interviews with Long, Patterson, Allen and Stoops were already scheduled...and the tea leaves were for BB railroading a deal with Allen.

Allen was all but inked. Stoops walked out, Ferentz was the last interview, there was a ‘team meeting called in Lawrence the day of KF’s interview.

The UI President’s office, UI Foundation, and bowlsby’s office were inundated with calls and faxes.
Search committee member Marv Cook (search committee was Marv, Mark Jennings, R Driscoll and Ann Rhonds)told BB he couldn’t hire Allen. BB called allen. Allen changed the meeting to lovefest- never leaving Lawrence message ...Ferentz was hired.

BB looked ashen and hardly anyone talked to him during Ferentz welcome reception at the UIFoundation after the introductory press conference.

Everyone was pissed about stoops, but relieved with Ferentz, as many of us knew him and his work from his prior stint at Iowa.
I did speak to BB- told him he made a great hire :) he said thanks.

Marv Cook saved Iowa football.

irony is, BB used this as an excuse to grab power from the university, and was able to go without a search committee for the BB search.
Search committee produced Ferentz and prevented Terry Allen. Solo search by BB produced Steve Alford. red tape has benefits!
THIS^^ is spot on. Bowlsby wanted Tom Davis out. He wanted to hire a BB coach on his own. He made several trips to Springfield, MO during the season. It was Alford or bust!

You and Pondscum are something else.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
So in the end, how did Bowlsby really F up Stoops not coming? I’ve heard stories, but it sounds like there’s people on here who really know what happened

You and Pondscum are something else.

We and many, many other fans.

For years we have seen an astoundingly underperforming offense. Depending on the year, we have seen it be near the bottom of the conference and even of the nation in most of the key offensive stats: points scored, rushing yardage, # of 3 and outs, short drives, short yardage conversion failures, yards per carry,..... Non of the top 50 teams have the gap between their defensive strength and offensive strength that we have. It is clearly the element that is restricting progress.

The obvious first corrective step is to secure a knowledgeable, experienced, accomplished OC. KF has repeatedly failed to do that. Apparently he and Barta think that's OK. Many fans don't think that's OK. But what are those fans going to do about it?

Money talks but dropping attendence takes time for the impact to be felt, and hurts the program and the entire University. An online petition, properly constructed and
and brought to the attention of all media outlets can have a quick and huge impact. It wouldn't have any absolute power but that display of public opinion is powerful and at the minimum, would prompt conversation and more than a "I have faith" response.

Or Iowa fans can likewise do nothing, keep spending emotional and financial resources, and watch us continue to be also-rans into the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
The obvious first corrective step is to secure a knowledgeable, experienced, accomplished OC. KF has repeatedly failed to do that.

You're such a dumb trolling douchebag.

The last OC had 40 years of coaching experience, a national championship ring on his finger, and a Broyles award given annually to the nation's top assistant coach.

Also it's not lost on me that you talk exactly like Go For The Gold, who got banned exactly at the same time you showed up...

Last edited:
You're such a dumb trolling douchebag.

The last OC had 40 years of coaching experience, a national championship ring on his finger, and a Broyles award given annually to the nation's top assistant coach.

Also it's not lost on me that you talk exactly like Go For The Gold, who got banned exactly at the same time you showed up...

Ya, that guy with 40 years experience was in such high demand that he was unemployed. And a guy with one foot in retirement is more interested in maintaining his cash flow than in making waves, a perfect "yes man".

Do you have any talent at all, other than name calling?

Ya, that guy with 40 years experience was in such high demand that he was unemployed. And a guy with one foot in retirement is more interested in maintaining his cash flow than in making waves, a perfect "yes man".

Do you have any talent at all, other than name calling?

I correctly identified you as the troll that you are, troll. Remember how you claimed to be a classmate of Roger Staubach at the Naval academy? What an absolutely chickens*** move on your part!

Oh, and reported.

Reactions: 2bagger22
We were two points away from Wisky at their place this year. Those guys are on scholarship too.
Like I said, it was there for the taking...and once again Kirk couldn’t get it done.

Regarding the rest of your straw man comment, none of it disproves my statement that the other programs in the division are getting better.

The MAJORITY of us want what sconnie has attained. Absolutely no reason not to expect it.

Like I said, it was there for the taking...and once again Kirk couldn’t get it done.

Regarding the rest of your straw man comment, none of it disproves my statement that the other programs in the division are getting better.

The MAJORITY of us want what sconnie has attained. Absolutely no reason not to expect it.

It’s perfectly fine to want what Wisconsin has. I want it too. Expecting it however is completely unreasonable. They have numerous advantages over Iowa, and you know that. Be honest.

According to some, there are only two kinds of fans - the ones that are pissed off, and the one's that are apologists with a "defeatist mindset". :rolleyes: The one's that are pissed look down on the other fans with disdain. Another common quality evident in the pissed group - let's get a new coach. And, fans that don't want to get a new coach are apologists.

Well, there are more than two kids of fans. Some, like me, just don't want to be pissed off about something we want to enjoy, like Iowa Football, and prefer to be pleased with 9 wins, with a chance at 10. Others, like me, realize there isn't anything we can do about it anyway, unless we want to get out the torches and pitchforks. Well, I don't remember where I put my torch, and I'm not buying a new one!

Maybe that is a pathetic defeatist attitude, but I don't think so.

At the very first sign of success, Stoops would have left for greener pastures. Don't kid yourself that he would have stayed at Iowa, or would have had even close to the same success at Iowa as he did at Oklahoma.

Reactions: kceasthawk
At the very first sign of success, Stoops would have left for greener pastures. Don't kid yourself that he would have stayed at Iowa, or would have had even close to the same success at Iowa as he did at Oklahoma.

What evidence do you have that would be the case?

There is plenty of blame to go around for that loss. It’s not just Kirks fault.

1. One poster suggested that if I was so close to athletic dept., I should contact GB about my concerns over the offense, running game , and BF. So I did
In my note he didn't answer any of my "concerns" he stated as I said I trust KF basically end of story except for some platitudes
Sounds like you're pretty big time then. Nice to see you throwing your clout around and getting to the bottom of things.

I suggested we hire Nick S. or Urban Meyer and we had as much of a chance of hiring them as Bob Stoops. When will people get over this fantasy?
Well thats not really a true statement is it. We certainly did have a chance to hire Stoops. I've seen numerous interviews from Bob where he clearly stated he most definetly wanted the Iowa job. He was the first to interview, and he told Bowlsby he wanted the job. Bowlsby supposedly told Bob that he had to do his due diligence and go through the entire interview process with all the candidates before making an offer. Stoops had an interview set up with Oklahoma, and told Bowlsby if he didn't get the offer right there, he was getting on the plane, and he was out of the running for the Iowa job. Within 24hrs Oklahoma hired Bob, and Iowa offered the job to Kirk. I'm not one who thinks that Stoops would have necessarily done any better at Iowa then KF has. I'm not convinced he would have been as successful at Iowa as he was at Oklahoma, in a weaker big 12. I'm also not sure he would have stuck it out like KF has through some of the tough times. Just don't know, but we certainly could have had Bob Stoops as the HC in 1999.

So in the end, how did Bowlsby really F up Stoops not coming? I’ve heard stories, but it sounds like there’s people on here who really know what happened
As others have stated, It appears that Bowlsby may have had his own guy in mind. Stoops was the first interview I believe, and he wanted the job, and told Bowlsby. Bowlsby said he had to interview everyone, whether that was true or not. Stoops told Bowlsby if he left Iowa City without the offer, and went to the Oklahoma interview, he wan't coming back. Stoops was a Hawkeye through and through, and He probably wasn't sure he'd even get the offer from Oklahoma, so he most definetly would have taken the job, had he been offered.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT