ADVERTISEMENT

Costco vs Hy-Vee

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
My point of reference is Ankeny. It appears to me that Costco is taking a big bite out of them. Came back from a trip Sunday and headed to pick up a few items from Hy-Vee in the late afternoon. That is normally in the crush zone with a full parking lot. It looked to me it was 60% full or so. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I think Hy-Vee needs to take a look at how much they are carrying in cost and expenses so they can be at a more competitive price point...

Last edited:
Hy Vee has priced themselves out of being the regular go-to store for grocery shopping. I still stop there for certain items but the bulk of our grocery shopping is done at Walmart now. Those are the only two options around here and the way I figure it they are both corporations, so send less of my money to one than the other. I mean, Hy Vee had turkeys "on sale" in November for $2.49/lb, Walmart was $.98/lb and $1.18/lb for a Butterball turkey. How can you seriously consider Hy Vee with that type of price disparity?

Neither one of them has eggs in stock right now. Seriously, how can this happen in America that you can't even buy eggs at the grocery store and when they are in stock they're $4/dozen. Four freaking dollars! Eggs used to be about a buck a dozen or less. Shit is seriously broken.

I wish they would. HyVee has never truly competed on price. They have always competed on service. Unfortunately it seems like they don't do that anymore either. It's frustrating to me because I believe in what we used to be. And now we're not. Starting to turn in to just a paycheck for me rather than something I wanted to help make the best we could be.

Hy Vee has priced themselves out of being the regular go-to store for grocery shopping. I still stop there for certain items but the bulk of our grocery shopping is done at Walmart now. Those are the only two options around here and the way I figure it they are both corporations, so send less of my money to one than the other. I mean, Hy Vee had turkeys "on sale" in November for $2.49/lb, Walmart was $.98/lb and $1.18/lb for a Butterball turkey. How can you seriously consider Hy Vee with that type of price disparity?

Neither one of them has eggs in stock right now. Seriously, how can this happen in America that you can't even buy eggs at the grocery store and when they are in stock they're $4/dozen. Four freaking dollars! Eggs used to be about a buck a dozen or less. Shit is seriously broken.
Bird flu is the egg problem

Eggs at Hy-Vee were 3.96/dozen. At Aldi, they were 2.04/dozen.
My wife, because she thought turkey prices would be high because of the bird flu, went out and bought a ham for which she received a free turkey at Hy-Vee. When I showed her what the ham cost and said "Merry Christmas", she was a little upset.

No egg shortage in Atlanta. At least in the stores I shop. Very surprising Costco doesn't have eggs.

Just as a follow up.

Iowa is the nation's leading egg producer and has suffered the largest bird losses of any state this year, partly due to its massive commercial flocks. The number of Iowa birds affected now totals about 14.5 million, according to USDA data. Nebraska has the second-highest death toll at 5 million.

I joined HyVee's super dooper membership and honestly I love it. Lots of free schiz and less insanity than Costco.

I wish they would. HyVee has never truly competed on price. They have always competed on service. Unfortunately it seems like they don't do that anymore either. It's frustrating to me because I believe in what we used to be. And now we're not. Starting to turn in to just a paycheck for me rather than something I wanted to help make the best we could be.

Sounds like your friendly smile in every aisle is turning upside down.

I joined HyVee's super dooper membership and honestly I love it. Lots of free schiz and less insanity than Costco.
That's a great deal at full price. It's a steal at the $49 price point. The free monthly items and great deal weekly items will pay for it in a few months or less. (Although around the holiday the weekly deals aren't quite as hot. They'll get hot again)

Reactions: GOHOX69
That's a great deal at full price. It's a steal at the $49 price point. The free monthly items and great deal weekly items will pay for it in a few months or less. (Although around the holiday the weekly deals aren't quite as hot. They'll get hot again)
Counterpoint is that Hy-Vee's sale prices sometimes are not as low as Sam's or Costco's regular prices.

Reactions: 3boysmom and Moral
This comes up on here about once a month it seems. All I know is the HyVee in Marion near me is always so busy it's hard to get in and out of the parking lot. It's crazy how packed it is. Fareway, Aldi's, and WalMart are all with in one mile of it. I like Farway for most things because I don't have to fight the crowds but do a lot of shopping at HyVee also.

Quiet down and get the rest of the carts from the corral

I shop at both. Hy-Vee several times a week, and Costco every 6-8 weeks to buy in bulk.
And, as I have ranted about in the past, Costco packages way too much stuff in plastic. It's easier on them to ship and handle, but I choose not to buy so much of it along with my food.

I think manually they're still good. Never with one of those machines that gathers a whole bunch.
The Hy-Vees I have seen appear to have decided that it is more economical to hire teenagers to return the carts en masse than hire an adult to use the machines you see elsewhere.

My point of reference is Ankeny. It appears to me that Costco is taking a big bite out of them. Came back from a trip Sunday and headed to pick up a few items from Hy-Vee in the late afternoon. That is normally in the crush zone with a full parking lot. It looked to me it was 60% full or so. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I think Hy-Vee needs to take a look at how much they are carrying in cost and expenses so they can be at a more competitive price point...
As someone who worked at Hy-vee for years long ago, the weekend after Thanksgiving is generally quite slow. It was always a welcome change of pace to the "balls to the wall" rush the weekend before and up to Thanksgiving Thursday.

Aldi Girls? Say what?
NINTCHDBPICT000681293697.jpg

7b3373b6b50a6b78bf338b650f517ca06bc16da4-161x229-x0y76w574h816.png

Where are you? Cage free/soy free/grain free eggs $1.99 in the DM Metro. Crappier eggs are cheaper.

Yep. We get ~90% of our groceries at Aldi. I'm shocked at the amount of poors that shop at Hy-Vee. I guess if you're paying with SNAP, you don't care how much it costs?
Condiments, bread, milk, cheese and some produce always for us and paper products are priced awesome as well. Love their frozen chicken tenders.

I’ve said it several times before but there’s just no way HyVee makes any money on those huge sections of shoes, beauty products, Wahlburgers, etc.

But they keep building them so maybe they are but someone is definitely losing money. There’s never anyone in those spots.

Reactions: Moral and GOHOX69
I’ve said it several times before but there’s just no way HyVee makes any money on those huge sections of shoes, beauty products, Wahlburgers, etc.

But they keep building them so maybe they are but someone is definitely losing money. There’s never anyone in those spots.
agreed. The only thing it does is make me feel mildly uncomfortable cutting through it from the dairy section to the booze/beer.

Neither one of them has eggs in stock right now. Seriously, how can this happen in America that you can't even buy eggs at the grocery store and when they are in stock they're $4/dozen.
Woah. That's more than I pay for eggs and I live just south of LA. Strange. Maybe they figure they can hike it up high since there aren't a lot of options as far as grocery stores go.

Reactions: Moral
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT