ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Thread

On Tuesday there were 5,700 cases here in the US.

By Thursday the number was 11,600.

Now Saturday morning early before any overnight updates the number is 19,624. almostr 20,000.

Pretty soon we will begin to see and understand the exponential growth of numbers if the social distancing and self quarantine doesn't slow the spread of the virus down.
We need to remember - these are only numbers for people who tested positive. There are many other people who have the symptoms but are not able to get tested.

State of Michigan just ordered complete shutdown for 3 weeks

All non-essentials ordered to stay home unless procuring groceries or medical services.

State of Michigan just ordered complete shutdown for 3 weeks

All non-essentials ordered to stay home unless procuring groceries or medical services.

Welcome to the club.

So far, our agency has been deemed essential and we’ve mostly been working from home. We have a zoom meeting set up for later today.

Reactions: #10Hawk
I wish they would normalize this data per million people. I've only seen a couple of charts do this, and they aren't updated regularly. USA might be #1 in total cases soon, but we also have a large population. Will we surpass Italy + Germany + Spain + France + UK? That's approximately equal to the population of the USA.

We will also overtake China with the number of case and they have 4+ times as many people as the US.

And you trust the numbers that are being released by the Chinese government?

What's your email address? I'm a wealthy Nigerian prince that needs some help transferring my money out of the country.

Oh Hell no, I don't trust any of their numbers. Not when they have their crematoriums running 24/7 and several of them have failed from overuse. Shheeeeessshhhh........

Was just using their "stated' numbers. Silly me!

OBTW.....the Nigerian Prince is my Brother in law.........

Reactions: #10Hawk and el dub
Oh Wow! Thank heavens! Tested negative for COVID-19

test-result-covid-19-negative-cocaine-opiates-cannabis-positive.jpg
;)

Coronavirus growth is in the exponential phase in the U.S., particularly bad in NYC. There is little doubt the U.S. will surpass Italy and likely China (their "official" number anyway) sometime in April.

1SXWHZQ.png

NY now has nearly half of all U.S. cases of coronavirus.

NY - 20,909 confirmed cases, with 12,339 in NYC alone

NY reported over 5000 new cases in the last 24 hours.

For comparison:
China 81,093
Italy 63,927
U.S, 41,701

WA and CA are both picking up steam. In another month, CA will likely pass NY for most cases of coronavirus.

Coronavirus growth is in the exponential phase in the U.S., particularly bad in NYC. There is little doubt the U.S. will surpass Italy and likely China (their "official" number anyway) sometime in April.

1SXWHZQ.png

NY now has nearly half of all U.S. cases of coronavirus.

NY - 20,909 confirmed cases, with 12,339 in NYC alone

NY reported over 5000 new cases in the last 24 hours.

For comparison:
China 81,093
Italy 63,927
U.S, 41,701

WA and CA are both picking up steam. In another month, CA will likely pass NY for most cases of coronavirus.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fmaven-user-photos%2Fmishtalk%2Feconomics%2FzmfATcSa4EegwR7v_znq6Q%2FMM9odu3Gjk65Ox3116iJrA

From a chart done on March 22 at the then current rate the US would hit 100,000 cases on March 26 and 1 Million on April 3.

However we would have to be testing at about 100,000 tests a day or better and that is not happening. They are cutting back on testing and doing treatment instead.

Deaths would hit 1,000 on March 26 and 100,000 on April 5.

Currently at 43,901 cases and 557 deaths.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fmaven-user-photos%2Fmishtalk%2Feconomics%2FzmfATcSa4EegwR7v_znq6Q%2FMM9odu3Gjk65Ox3116iJrA

From a chart done on March 22 at the then current rate the US would hit 100,000 cases on March 26 and 1 Million on April 3.

However we would have to be testing at about 100,000 tests a day or better and that is not happening. They are cutting back on testing and doing treatment instead.

Deaths would hit 1,000 on March 26 and 100,000 on April 5.

Currently at 43,901 cases and 557 deaths.

So...500 more dead in the next 3 days and 99,000 more in the next 13? We’re going to start losing over 7,000 per day starting on Thursday?

I asked this in another thread but how many people are currently hospitalized in the USA due to the virus? And how many of those are in population centers versus in a rural area like Iowa?

So...500 more dead in the next 3 days and 99,000 more in the next 13? We’re going to start losing over 7,000 per day starting on Thursday?

I asked this in another thread but how many people are currently hospitalized in the USA due to the virus? And how many of those are in population centers versus in a rural area like Iowa?

That chart was done only as to what could happen if the rates of infected cases continue on at the current pace. It was not a prediction by any means.

With all of the current self quarantine currently taking place one would think that the rate of infection will start to taper off soon and those numbers may be way too high.

However with the lack of testing in the US it is hard to really know what the current accurate numbers are and that increases in the infection numbers are already baked in for some time to come.

covidtracking.com currently shows Iowa with 105 cases as of March 23.

https://covidtracking.com/data/#IA

They also list 3,325 hospitalized out of 42,164 positive cases.

Another site shows NYC with 10,764 positive cases with 99 deaths. Out of these 1800 are hospitalized with 450 in ICU. That is 16.7% hospitalizations and 4.18% in ICU in New York City

Edit: From above total numbers in the US that would be 7.88% cases hospitalized.

Last edited:
That chart was done only as to what could happen if the rates of infected cases continue on at the current pace. It was not a prediction by any means.

With all of the current self quarantine currently taking place one would think that the rate of infection will start to taper off soon and those numbers may be way too high.

However with the lack of testing in the US it is hard to really know what the current accurate numbers are and that increases in the infection numbers are already baked in for some time to come.

covidtracking.com currently shows Iowa with 105 cases as of March 23.

https://covidtracking.com/data/#IA

They also list 3,325 hospitalized out of 42,164 positive cases.

Another site shows NYC with 10,764 positive cases with 99 deaths. Out of these 1800 are hospitalized with 450 in ICU. That is 16.7% hospitalizations and 4.18% in ICU in New York City

Edit: From above total numbers in the US that would be 7.88% cases hospitalized.

Many thanks!

Reactions: Kwoodhawk

there was a picture on Twitter today of people waiting in the rain, in a line at least 100 deep, to get into a ER in NYC.

Reactions: Fluffles and el dub

Spooner, here is nice site with an interactive map of the U.S.:

https://covidactnow.org/?fbclid=IwAR0BNtncFtXNdwWGDCVqdEkaHoHRdTVIibnYzRWPjsuc0V5nUldBwupXYS4

You can click on any single state and see a graph of the projected numbers of hospitalizations and death, under different scenarios of action (doing nothing, social isolation, etc.) You can see where Iowa (or any other state) is at, and where it is headed.

NY Govenor was on earlier and he said 13% of people who tested positive were hospitalized. That percentage is down from days before for whatever reason.
We're getting shut down here in WV tomorrow. Get your WV jokes out now. That just gives us more time with our sisters and farm animals haha.

Reactions: ArturoFuente
Doctors now reporting of an unusual symptom of COVID-19 is called anosmia. The loss of smell. It happens in those who show no other symtoms as well as those who have symptoms. Also reports of loss of taste.

Something to be on the lookout for if you get exposed or suspect infection.

Reactions: #10Hawk
NY Govenor was on earlier and he said 13% of people who tested positive were hospitalized. That percentage is down from days before for whatever reason.
We're getting shut down here in WV tomorrow. Get your WV jokes out now. That just gives us more time with our sisters and farm animals haha.

More testing done. The more testing, the lower the hospitalization percentage even as numbers in hospital rise.

More testing done. The more testing, the lower the hospitalization percentage even as numbers in hospital rise.

test everyone. We can certainly do it. IDT can make around 5 million tests per week. Then quarantine the sick.

You can have your cake and eat it too that way; it is working to control spread in South Korea. But you FIRST have to commit to making testing a priority.

no jokes from me. I'm a real fan of your sisters and farm animals....but don't let that get around;)

Reactions: el dub
Not looking good for health care workers

Spain has 5400 health care workers infected out of just under 40,000 cases

Italy has 4,000 health care workers infected out of about 69,000 cases.

They also have 23 Doctors who have died trying to save patients.

And according to a new Decree in Italy they forsee restrictions until July 31st.

ET4fVjgXkAEiH1l

Last edited:
Not looking good for health care workers

Spain has 5400 health care workers infected out of just under 40,000 cases

Italy has 4,000 health care workers infected out of about 69,000 cases.

They also have 23 Doctors who have died trying to save patients.

And according to a new Decree in Italy they forsee restrictions until July 31st.

ET4fVjgXkAEiH1l

Relax. Word from up above is that this will all be over in two weeks.

Better to be informed and able to prepare to be safer. Blessings for you.
True. Going in all PPE’d up. Much respect to all of the docs in the trenches, basically in hand-to-hand combat. We’re kinda more like back at the base. Not out of harm’s way but also not having to use bayonets.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
Word from IC is that big hospital is prepared for critical cases...right now, that newly set up section is empty. They have two pts in another area...one being an older individual with a myriad of prior health problems that was brought in last week. PT is getting better...starting to breathe more on his/her own. I don’t know about the other one.

Right now, ICUs have more empty beds than normal but if there is an issue, it is more with flu patients. This isn’t to set off an argument between flu vs Covid, just what the present conditions look like here.

Word from IC is that big hospital is prepared for critical cases...right now, that newly set up section is empty. They have two pts in another area...one being an older individual with a myriad of prior health problems that was brought in last week. PT is getting better...starting to breathe more on his/her own. I don’t know about the other one.

Right now, ICUs have more empty beds than normal but if there is an issue, it is more with flu patients. This isn’t to set off an argument between flu vs Covid, just what the present conditions look like here.

rural iowa is starting to see their first cases.

I hope we all can support the President when he makes the tough decision to stop bankrupting the country any longer over this flu.
It would be difficult to support if it causes our parents or grandparents to die. If people go back to work too soon, the disease will spread quickly causing the possible overloading of hospitals and increased mortality. That is especially concerning to the elderly and those who have underlying conditions such as asthma and smokers.

I hope we all can support the President when he makes the tough decision to stop bankrupting the country any longer over this flu.
Yeah... let's let tens of thousands die so tRump can try to revive the economy... not for the actual good of Americans... but in reality so he can try to hang onto his only claim to doing anything, the economy... to try to boost his re-election chances. Again, at the cost of how many lives? Does anyone actually believe he'd do what's best for the county over his own personal promotion and benefit? I don't. Those are not mutually exclusive things... improving the economy and his own personal benefit. But I see his true priority in the latter and not the former.

Reactions: Mr Duke Silver
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT