ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Thread

Here is updated info re: worldwide Covid-19 deaths. Only one day in the last 3 weeks have the deaths been higher than the same day in the week prior. The rate has fallen ~11%, ~12% and ~7%, respectively, in the last three weeks (cumulative ~27% decline). The rate in the USA has fallen ~2%, ~12% and ~5% in the last three weeks, respectively (cumulative 18% decline)

Here is the world data:
Sunday
12-Apr 5,565
19-Apr 4,894 -12%
26-Apr 3,757 -23%
3-May 3,480 -7%
Monday
13-Apr 5,639
20-Apr 5,489 -3%
27-Apr 4,509 -18%
4-May 4,069 -10%
Tuesday
14-Apr 7,408
21-Apr 7,284 -2%
28-Apr 6,688 -8%
5-May 5,786 -13%
Wednesday
15-Apr 8,190
22-Apr 6,698 -18%
29-Apr 6,593 -2%
6-May 6,811 3%
Thursday
16-Apr 6,998
23-Apr 6,705 -4%
30-Apr 5,795 -14%
7-May 5,589 -4%
Friday
17-Apr 8,429
24-Apr 6,417 -24%
1-May 5,623 -12%
8-May 5,550 -1%
Saturday
18-Apr 6,676
25-Apr 6,101 -9%
2-May 5,217 -14%
9-May 4,248 -19%

40% of all US Corona deaths live in nursing homes? That's crazy. Almost means that the most vulnerable are already self quarantining even if the country opens up

Your 40% number would mean about 30,000 people. The number I saw couple days ago was around 11,000 US deaths were from nursing homes. That would be closer to 15%, not 40%.

Reactions: Spaceman Spifff
‘Rona is in the White House. It appears the social distancing and protective measures on display during Covid briefing sessions have been ineffective.

Who would have ever thought?

So, the olds have been catching it and dying...

Would the president be considered an old?

In Minnesota 464 of the 578 deaths are from those in assisted living.

And despite strict "shut down" policies STILL in place in Minnesota, despite having 1.8 times Iowa's population they have 2.2 times the amount of deaths...and the divide is growing.

Reactions: pumpdog20
And despite strict "shut down" policies STILL in place in Minnesota, despite having 1.8 times Iowa's population
they have 2.2 times the amount of deaths...and the divide is growing.

Well, Oregon has 25% more people and 4x less covid cases than Iowa. But we’re taking things seriously around these parts.

We’re really hoping not to see OU students return to campus in Eugene this fall.

Last edited:
And despite strict "shut down" policies STILL in place in Minnesota, despite having 1.8 times Iowa's population they have 2.2 times the amount of deaths...and the divide is growing.

Help me out here.... At 1.8 times the population, 2.2 times the number of deaths isn’t far off what’s to be expected, no?

I mean, comparing IA to MN comes out way closer to “equal,” by population than comparing OR to IA.

Well, Oregon has 25% more people and 4x less covid cases than Iowa. But we’re taking things seriously around these parts.

We’re really hoping not to see OU students return to campus in Eugene this fall.

Oregon and Iowa...apples to onions. Among the differences, on number of positive tests is that Iowa has tested more people than Oregon despite the size difference.

Help me out here.... At 1.8 times the population, 2.2 times the number of deaths isn’t far off what’s to be expected, no?

Minnesota has shelter-in-place in effect that's supposed to be keeping everyone safer. It's not.

Reactions: pumpdog20
I'm guessing that population density is at work in Minnesota. Where are the hot spots in Mn? Minneapolis is a large city.
Also, shelter in place only helps if you do it. How is compliance?
Also, how does testing compare between IA and MN?

Oregon and Iowa...apples to onions. Among the differences, on number of positive tests is that Iowa has tested more people than Oregon despite the size difference.

Minnesota has shelter-in-place in effect that's supposed to be keeping everyone safer. It's not.

I suppose you have tested more. You have s bigger covid problem than we do as illustrated by more deaths.

So, why is Oregon’s plan working better than Iowa’s?

I suppose you have tested more. You have s bigger covid problem than we do as illustrated by more deaths.

So, why is Oregon’s plan working better than Iowa’s?

No idea. It’s a totally different part of the country. The states are 2,000 miles apart and the economics of the two states differ. The shutdowns tanked the wood industry vs Iowa where so many people are either in or support the food industry so people continued to work, for instance. Minnesota is a much closer comparison to Iowa.

No idea. It’s a totally different part of the country. The states are 2,000 miles apart and the economics of the two states differ. The shutdowns tanked the wood industry vs Iowa where so many people are either in or support the food industry so people continued to work, for instance. Minnesota is a much closer comparison to Iowa.

It’s better because you like what you think the comparison shows you, but I see are numbers that are fairly similar between MN and Iowa. My guess is that the response in MN and Iowa are more similar than when compared to the west coast response.

Im guessing we’re taking the situation more seriously on the coast due to disregarding narratives being offered up by the folks who are leading the national effort. (Not talking about health experts.)

It’s better because you like what you think the comparison shows you, but I see are numbers that are fairly similar between MN and Iowa. My guess is that the response in MN and Iowa are more similar than when compared to the west coast response.

Im guessing we’re taking the situation more seriously on the coast due to disregarding narratives being offered up by the folks who are leading the national effort. (Not talking about health experts.)

They similar. But Iowa has been ripped locally and nationally while Minnesota has been lauded. Members of the Minnesota media in particular were critical of Iowa. You brought the west coast into it.

They similar. But Iowa has been ripped locally and nationally while Minnesota has been lauded. Members of the Minnesota media in particular were critical of Iowa. You brought the west coast into it.

This is a global issue not limited to the states in the Midwest or even this country. I brought another state into a conversation comparing covid infections and responses in two states. Covid knows no borders.

This is a global issue not limited to the states in the Midwest or even this country. I brought another state into a conversation comparing covid infections and responses in two states. Covid knows no borders.

Pretty simplistic view. Demographics, population density, ability to socially distance, timing, and about 100 other things matter. Comparing Iowa to Oregon instead of it's more like-positioned midwest neighbor border states makes only slightly more sense than comparing Iowa to New York.

I'm guessing that population density is at work in Minnesota. Where are the hot spots in Mn? Minneapolis is a large city.
Also, shelter in place only helps if you do it. How is compliance?
Also, how does testing compare between IA and MN?
IA has a lot more tests per 1 million pop

Reactions: el dub
Georgia reopened 18 Days ago and % positive tests continues to decrease. Hospitalizations were at 1500 on May 1. They’re at 1133 as of yesterday. New hospital admittance is at ~88 per day over the last 14 days. The rate was ~111 per day the previous 14 days

IA has a lot more tests per 1 million pop

I just talked to a health pro in Iowa. She told me that many people got tested two weeks ago in a drive through set up but none to her knowledge have gotten test results back yet. What good is testing if no one gets the results in a timely manner.

Pretty simplistic view. Demographics, population density, ability to socially distance, timing, and about 100 other things matter. Comparing Iowa to Oregon instead of it's more like-positioned midwest neighbor border states makes only slightly more sense than comparing Iowa to New York.

Really? It appears you have a provincial point of view. What’s so special about MN and Iowa that they can’t be compared to other states in the union?

To say OR would be a closer comparison to NY is a bit odd. Oregon is a rural state will a comparable population to Iowa that happens to be in the coast.

Is it your packing plant culture? There are seafood processing plants in Oregon that have become hotspots too.

Iowa is a covid hotspot that’s going to get worse, according to my health care sources in the state. And the friends that I have that have been taking this situation the least seriously are in Iowa. My Iowa friends taught me what a plandemic is. They also let me know what a swell job our federal government is doing in response to this situation.

The bottom line is that when a state votes in a president, people from that state tend to follow the advice of the people they voted into office. And folks have been getting bad advice from Washington concerning this crises for months now.

Really? It appears you have a provincial point of view. What’s so special about MN and Iowa that they can’t be compared to other states in the union?

To say OR would be a closer comparison to NY is a bit odd. Oregon is a rural state will a comparable population to Iowa that happens to be in the coast.

Is it your packing plant culture? There are seafood processing plants in Oregon that have become hotspots too.

Iowa is a covid hotspot that’s going to get worse, according to my health care sources in the state. And the friends that I have that have been taking this situation the least seriously are in Iowa. My Iowa friends taught me what a plandemic is. They also let me know what a swell job our federal government is doing in response to this situation.

The bottom line is that when a state votes in a president, people from that state tend to follow the advice of the people they voted into office. And folks have been getting bad advice from Washington concerning this crises for months now.

Yes, you're right, we aren't taking this serious and we have no idea what's going on here. Thanks for the condescending lecture.

giphy.gif

Are you wearing face masks to the store, Spooner? That should be an easy question to understand.

That wasn't in the message I replied to but the answer is yes. In addition, I have hand sanitizer in my truck and I use it before and after entering a public establishment. If it's available in-store I take a shot there, too.

Your other post was off the rails. Deep breaths, my friend. ;-)

That wasn't in the message I replied to but the answer is yes. In addition, I have hand sanitizer in my truck and I use it before and after entering a public establishment. If it's available in-store I take a shot there, too.

Your other post was off the rails. Deep breaths, my friend. ;-)

Thanks for answering my question.

I reread my past comments and don’t see anything I’d call off the rails, but that’s pretty common for folks to not see how they come off to others. Lol

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Thanks for answering my question.

I reread my past comments and don’t see anything I’d call off the rails, but that’s pretty common for folks to not see how they come off to others. Lol

Sorry if I offended anyone.

It was a politically charged and fueled by anecdotes. No worries, stressful times and I still consider you one of the good ones.

It was a politically charged and fueled by anecdotes. No worries, stressful times and I still consider you one of the good ones.

One more question.. Do you not think that this situation is being seen and dealt with through a political lens at the highest level of government?

I just talked to a health pro in Iowa. She told me that many people got tested two weeks ago in a drive through set up but none to her knowledge have gotten test results back yet. What good is testing if no one gets the results in a timely manner.

Iowa is having some issues with testing accuracy. A no-bid contract was given to a Utah lab with a history of very low positive testing results. Their equipment is now returning wonky numbers here. The state hygienic lab in IC is trying to validate the testing. It seems a lot of known positive samples are coming back negative. But hey - at least they are trying.

Reactions: el dub
One more question.. Do you not think that this situation is being seen and dealt with through a political lens at the highest level of government?

Do you not recognize that your views may be skewed by your hatred of Trump?

Not sure how much is political and how much is a balance between keeping people employed/not killing the economy and trying to keep people safe. This certainly has not been handled perfectly by anybody. For the epidemiologist/ID people, it is easy. Keep people in their homes to limit the infection rate and deaths due to Covid19. Somebody (POTUS, governors) have to balance the risk of Covid19 vs economic, mental, and physical consequences of people losing their businesses/going bankrupt, not seeking health care they should get, increased drug use/abuse, mental illness and other unintended consequences of hunkering down in your house for months to years. There are no definite correct answers without retrospect. Is Sweden correct? Is Georgia correct or incorrect by opening up early? I don’t think anybody knows for sure. Those that think they know the correct answers are likely arrogant and ignorant. They could be right - or 100% wrong. We just don’t know at this point.

Yes. By both sides. The "greater good" went out the window a long time ago on either side. It's about being right and the other side being wrong and not about what's best for America.

Not sure how much is political and how much is a balance between keeping people employed/not killing the economy and trying to keep people safe. This certainly has not been handled perfectly by anybody. For the epidemiologist/ID people, it is easy. Keep people in their homes to limit the infection rate and deaths due to Covid19. Somebody (POTUS, governors) have to balance the risk of Covid19 vs economic, mental, and physical consequences of people losing their businesses/going bankrupt, not seeking health care they should get, increased drug use/abuse, mental illness and other unintended consequences of hunkering down in your house for months to years. There are no definite correct answers without retrospect. Is Sweden correct? Is Georgia correct or incorrect by opening up early? I don’t think anybody knows for sure. Those that think they know the correct answers are likely arrogant and ignorant. They could be right - or 100% wrong. We just don’t know at this point.

Thank you. Say what you will about the "leadership" we have in this country--and there's certainly a LOT to say--but we can't let scientists run the country. They really only see things through one lens. That's true no matter which party is in the White House. Fauci, who I do have a good opinion of, says people are going to get sick and die. Well yeah...no one ever said we were going to eradicate the virus before we let people go back to work to provide for themselves and their family.

On the other hand, do you think admiration for Trump might be affecting some views on this subject?

On the other hand, do you think admiration for Trump might be affecting some views on this subject?

Probably. Hard to think that people actually admire him to the point they believe him and always take his side on everything. I know it happens. Just hard to believe.

Pretty much everybody has been wrong on this at some point (except me of course). Fauci said the US had nothing to worry about in Jan-Feb. Multiple democrats told people to go out to Chinatown for the Chinese New Year and other large gatherings. Trump has a lot of opinions (some contradicting each other) and has been wrong a lot - and right some. Trump is an optimist though which drives some crazy - they want to hear CNN and others sensationalize how terrible the disease is, how wrong Trump is, and scare people into their basements with canned food and a television to watch CNN for breaking stories. They want Trump to be wrong so badly they prefer to take the pessimistic view and would rather destroy the US than have Trump be right.

Just plain silliness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT