ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 Thread

I don't know of anyone in my area that wants the country to be destroyed to prove Trump wrong. That's common alt-right propaganda. Everyone loses when the country goes down the tubes. We're all in this together.
Our (Republican) governor is doing an excellent job, despite huge infection and poor Federal leadership. The (Republican) governor of Ohio seems to be doing a good job as well. Governors have largely stepped up.

And also I see there's the old "hiding in their basement" trope again. The only people secluded are people who can afford to do that. The country is opening up, for better or worse, and people are called back to work, going into harm's way to make a living because they have no choice. Chinese New Year was Jan 17-24. No one was taking this virus seriously enough then, except that racist fears had already cut deeply into the living of Chinese-American businesses, hence the encouragement by some. Is it really all that different from South Padre Island at that time?

Trump is not an optimist. He is an opportunistic narcissist. It's all about his reelection. Hard to believe that anyone from either party admires that at all.

Reactions: el dub and Fluffles
Probably. Hard to think that people actually admire him to the point they believe him and always take his side on everything. I know it happens. Just hard to believe.

Pretty much everybody has been wrong on this at some point (except me of course). Fauci said the US had nothing to worry about in Jan-Feb. Multiple democrats told people to go out to Chinatown for the Chinese New Year and other large gatherings. Trump has a lot of opinions (some contradicting each other) and has been wrong a lot - and right some. Trump is an optimist though which drives some crazy - they want to hear CNN and others sensationalize how terrible the disease is, how wrong Trump is, and scare people into their basements with canned food and a television to watch CNN for breaking stories. They want Trump to be wrong so badly they prefer to take the pessimistic view and would rather destroy the US than have Trump be right.

Just plain silliness.

I agree with most of what you said, except for the president being an optimist. It looks to me like he is only worried about the upcoming election. I believe he has been consciously feeding the country bad information makes him look good, in his eyes. He’s on record as saying testing for Covid makes him look bad as numbers go up.

Last edited:
That wasn't in the message I replied to but the answer is yes. In addition, I have hand sanitizer in my truck and I use it before and after entering a public establishment. If it's available in-store I take a shot there, too.

Your other post was off the rails. Deep breaths, my friend. ;-)

one more question.... have you drank any bleach? ;)

Pretty much everybody has been wrong on this at some point (except me of course). Fauci said the US had nothing to worry about in Jan-Feb.

That portrayal of what Fauci said is misleading.

Here's what Fauci actually said on January 21, the day the first covid case was confirmed in U.S.:

<<Fauci said, “Obviously, you need to take it seriously and do the kind of things the (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and the Department of Homeland Security is doing. But this is not a major threat to the people of the United States and this is not something that the citizens of the United States right now should be worried about.”>>

In other words, Fauci qualified his remarks - it was not something that citizens should worry about right now. He also said it needed to be taken seriously, and follow CDC direction.

So at a time when U.S. had 1 confirmed case and zero deaths, it wasn't a time to stoke a panic. But planning and guidelines needed to be made... and were being made. But unfortunately not followed by our president. That is not due to any fault of Fauci.

Reactions: Fluffles
I don't know of anyone in my area that wants the country to be destroyed to prove Trump wrong. That's common alt-right propaganda. Everyone loses when the country goes down the tubes. We're all in this together.
Our (Republican) governor is doing an excellent job, despite huge infection and poor Federal leadership. The (Republican) governor of Ohio seems to be doing a good job as well. Governors have largely stepped up.

And also I see there's the old "hiding in their basement" trope again. The only people secluded are people who can afford to do that. The country is opening up, for better or worse, and people are called back to work, going into harm's way to make a living because they have no choice. Chinese New Year was Jan 17-24. No one was taking this virus seriously enough then, except that racist fears had already cut deeply into the living of Chinese-American businesses, hence the encouragement by some. Is it really all that different from South Padre Island at that time?

Trump is not an optimist. He is
an opportunistic narcissist. It's all about his reelection. Hard to believe that anyone from either party admires that at all.

Thank you.

Blame anyone but the President for where we currently are with this pandemic. That's what the president does. "we have tested more than all the other countries combined" Lets put up signs and brag about it. "Concord" for all to see at his COVID 19 update/ please everyone look at me and let me tell you how smart I am. Please forget about the Hydroxychoroquine I said would do REALLY GREAT things and maybe skip the disinfected too. He got my vote in 2016 but not again in 2020.
Fact, per capita we're in 21st place in testing. Not sure what color that ribbon is? I'm giving myself an A maybe A- on this post because that's what the pres. would give himself. Those damn democrats!

Blame anyone but the President for where we currently are with this pandemic. That's what the president does. "we have tested more than all the other countries combined" Lets put up signs and brag about it. "Concord" for all to see at his COVID 19 update/ please everyone look at me and let me tell you how smart I am. Please forget about the Hydroxychoroquine I said would do REALLY GREAT things and maybe skip the disinfected too. He got my vote in 2016 but not again in 2020.
Fact, per capita we're in 21st place in testing. Not sure what color that ribbon is? I'm giving myself an A maybe A- on this post because that's what the pres. would give himself. Those damn democrats!

Thank you.

Here's what Fauci actually said on January 21, the day the first covid case was confirmed in U.S.:

<<Fauci said, “Obviously, you need to take it seriously and do the kind of things the (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and the Department of Homeland Security is doing. But this is not a major threat to the people of the United States and this is not something that the citizens of the United States right now should be worried about.”>>

In other words, Fauci qualified his remarks - it was not something that citizens should worry about right now. He also said it needed to be taken seriously, and follow CDC direction.

So at a time when U.S. had 1 confirmed case and zero deaths, it wasn't a time to stoke a panic. But planning and guidelines needed to be made... and were being made. But unfortunately not followed by our president. That is not due to any fault of Fauci.
Really? Can anyone cite a virus that didn't spread beyond 1 infected individual?? That's EXACTLY the time people should have been worried about it; however, I don't even think a full-court press approach would have prevented the ultimate spread. Once it landed, it's over. Should our citizenry be worried yet?

I have watched for years as government officials have had time to address other well-documented problems such as funding for social security and Medicare. Not to shift gears too drastically, but our "leaders" of both parties have failed. Nobody has the courage to do the right thing because it will cost you your cush job in Washington. It is and always has been about political expediency. Trump often gives overly optimistic outlooks and botches the interpretation of scientific data and senators sanders, markey and harris want to advance their agenda and give $2000 per person "until this is over" which could be many, many months.

Fauci is another example of a government automaton. I dont care how many degrees he has on the wall, incompetents come from all institutions and backgrounds. Do I think he is a good man doing the best job he can do? Yes I do. Is he absolutely the top guy in the world in understanding infectious disease? Probably not.

There is a yet unknown, unnamed virus out there somewhere. It may show up later this year or perhaps not until the year 2138 or somewherein between. Right now this virus has 0 cases and 0 deaths. Should we not be concerned? And if not, when?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

Fauci himself would not defend his remarks. He stated that he was mislead by assurance by China and the WHO that it could not spread human to human. Basically, Fauci bought the line of sh*t. He should have known better.

This thread has evolved into politcal BS and need to go to the off topic board. And even talk that manages to stick to covid becomes BS because it is peoples opinions that they are not changing just like politics. A guy living were there are no cases will have different views than someone living in NYC. A guy who is needs to work or is losing their business has different views than a guy content to sit at home.

This thread has evolved into politcal BS and need to go to the off topic board. And even talk that manages to stick to covid becomes BS because it is peoples opinions that they are not changing just like politics. A guy living were there are no cases will have different views than someone living in NYC. A guy who is needs to work or is losing their business has different views than a guy content to sit at home.
Hasn't the whole covid debate been political since the beginning? One guy says let's ban travel from the infected area. Everyone on the other side says that's racist and covid isn't a threat. A month later the whole country is shut down and politicians are deleting their tweets. That's politics for you. Now they want to print even more money so people stay in their basements longer.

This thread evolved because a few wingnuts posted some stupid stuff to try to bend reality for political reasons.
Let clear up a some things:
One, some people have to work to eat. Life isn't fair. It never was. It's even less fair in a pandemic, so let's treat people who have to work with some kindness. Please.

Two, people are not "hiding" in their homes or their "mom's basement." They're going out, like it or not, so stay safe using best antiviral practices or be a disease-spreading moran. Your choice.

Three, few people are "content" to sit at home, unless they're too old or disabled to do anything else. Saying people are "content" makes it seem like they want to do that. Normal people don't want to do that. Are some people stupid for being extra cautious, or smart? Opinions differ.

Four: the "politicians" are the people that you and I and everyone else put in office. Blaming them is blaming us. Don't like them? Pick new ones. I don't see what any angry left or right populist has really brought to the table except a place to air perceived grievances, share misery, and grab personal power. You can never avoid politics or politicians. You just end up picking sides, hopefully ones grounded in reality.

Five, sooner or later in a pandemic, someone has to do the hard work of the three T's: testing, tracing, and treating. If we were smart, this is what we would be talking about.

This thread evolved because a few wingnuts posted some stupid stuff to try to bend reality for political reasons.
Let clear up a some things:
One, some people have to work to eat. Life isn't fair. It never was. It's even less fair in a pandemic, so let's treat people who have to work with some kindness. Please.

Two, people are not "hiding" in their homes or their "mom's basement." They're going out, like it or not, so stay safe using best antiviral practices or be a disease-spreading moran. Your choice.

Three, few people are "content" to sit at home, unless they're too old or disabled to do anything else. Saying people are "content" makes it seem like they want to do that. Normal people don't want to do that. Are some people stupid for being extra cautious, or smart? Opinions differ.

Four: the "politicians" are the people that you and I and everyone else put in office. Blaming them is blaming us. Don't like them? Pick new ones. I don't see what any angry left or right populist has really brought to the table except a place to air perceived grievances, share misery, and grab personal power. You can never avoid politics or politicians. You just end up picking sides, hopefully ones grounded in reality.

Five, sooner or later in a pandemic, someone has to do the hard work of the three T's: testing, tracing, and treating. If we were smart, this is what we would be talking about.

When the situation is being politicized at the highest levels of government, it’s difficult not to bring that to the attention of the community during a conversation.

Why anyone would be butt hurt that the world is able to use our leader’s own words to destroy his credibility, or ability to deal with this crisis is beyond me.

Can some folks not see how this situation has been politicalized at the highest level of government from day one?

When the situation is being politicized at the highest levels of government, it’s difficult not to bring that to the attention of the community during a conversation.

Why anyone would be butt hurt that the world is able to use our leader’s own words to destroy his credibility, or ability to deal with this crisis is beyond me.

Can some folks not see how this situation has been politicalized at the highest level of government from day one?

Of course it’s been politicized, on both sides, since day one. Did someone state otherwise, or are you arguing with a straw man?

Reactions: Chopper25
% of Positive tests continue to plummet
60-EA57-D1-6-D19-42-AB-88-C5-30-DD2-B7-F9-EB7.jpg

Stop with your Georgia rubbish. There are parts of Georgia that are more restrictive than Iowa right now. Parts of Georgia have a stay at home order still. No bars in the state are open until the end of this month. The governor planned on opening a lot of stuff in April. Then Trump reversed and criticized him. So the governor had second thoughts about everything. Very little has changed. Some restaurants are closed. Some are open at partial capacity. Mass transit levels are still the same as nearly every other state. People are behaving no differently there because they don’t believe the threat is over.

Stop with your Georgia rubbish. There are parts of Georgia that are more restrictive than Iowa right now. Parts of Georgia have a stay at home order still. No bars in the state are open until the end of this month. The governor planned on opening a lot of stuff in April. Then Trump reversed and criticized him. So the governor had second thoughts about everything. Very little has changed. Some restaurants are closed. Some are open at partial capacity. Mass transit levels are still the same as nearly every other state. People are behaving no differently there because they don’t believe the threat is over.
Restaurants, salons and gyms are open which is a lot more than shelter in place states

What about Florida where restaurants and bars are open and are holding pro sports?

Last edited:
Many restaurants are still closed. The gyms are open with extreme restrictions. Nobody is going to them. It is possible that you may want to look for expertise someplace other than analysts at Fox Sports. Or maybe that is your intellectual match.

Many restaurants are still closed. The gyms are open with extreme restrictions. Nobody is going to them. It is possible that you may want to look for expertise someplace other than analysts at Fox Sports. Or maybe that is your intellectual match.
What about Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Connecticut, South Dakota, etc? Restaurants are open there bud

Restaurants, salons and gyms are open which is a lot more than shelter in place states

What about Florida where restaurants and bars are open and are holding pro sports?
You could say Georgia is a much more restrictive state than Iowa. They have a shelter in place order for everyone in the state over the age of 65. That is probably smart. But you don’t hear a lot of people screaming about their freedom being violated.

You could say Georgia is a much more restrictive state than Iowa. They have a shelter in place order for everyone in the state over the age of 65. That is probably smart. But you don’t hear a lot of people screaming about their freedom being violated.
What about the other 5 states bud. States are opening up and not being way overwhelmed regardless of how big or restrictive

Just because I have challenged your stunning level of misinformation does not mean I am not in favor of states opening up. Iowa should never have closed even to the degree that they did. You can’t treat every city and state and county the same. Governors should have focused on care facilities and jails and meatpacking plants and high density cities. There isn’t much else that needs to be closed up.

Isn't that part of what he's saying and part of the issue, though? It was portrayed that Georgia was just callously opening things up without any regard to the virus or to safety. That wasn't really the case.

Now, to be clear, it might be a little premature to be calling it a success at this point.

But to be clear, you can’t stuff a bunch of people together in close proximity and not have the virus spread. To think otherwise is moronic. Trump can’t go back out and speak to 20,000 people at rallies. They can’t play NBA games.

Isn't that part of what he's saying and part of the issue, though? It was portrayed that Georgia was just callously opening things up without any regard to the virus or to safety. That wasn't really the case.

Now, to be clear, it might be a little premature to be calling it a success at this point.
My point is that Georgia has done almost nothing in the way of opening up their state. Nothing. They opened tattoo parlors and hair salons. The governor backed off everything else. He even extended the shelter in place order yesterday.

This buffoon is posting rubbish. And he’s getting it all from a Fox sports guy on Twitter. He deserves ridicule.

My point is that Georgia has done almost nothing in the way of opening up their state. Nothing. They opened tattoo parlors and hair salons. The governor backed off everything else. He even extended the shelter in place order yesterday.

This buffoon is posting rubbish. And he’s getting it all from a Fox sports guy on Twitter. He deserves ridicule.
Is he posting fake graphs? Why the ridicule because it's something positive?

I swear I'm not here to argue but I don't think this is true. The shelter in place was lifted along with forced closings of gyms, restaurants, bowling alleys, theaters, churches, etc. Not sure I'd call that "nothing." I do think it remains to be seen whether it was the right move or not.

Can some folks not see how this situation has been politicized at the highest level of government from day one?
Not talking about you, Dub. As I said, bend reality, as in "just another flu." That's polticized, and that's not you. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
I swear I'm not here to argue but I don't think this is true. The shelter in place was lifted along with forced closings of gyms, restaurants, bowling alleys, theaters, churches, etc. Not sure I'd call that "nothing." I do think it remains to be seen whether it was the right move or not.
That shelter in place order was lifted on April 30, with the exception of people over age 65 or with severe health problems. If you dig a little deeper, there are many many exceptions. Restaurants were only allowed to reopen if they have 6 feet of distance between every seat. Depending on the size of the building they could open with anywhere from 20% to 50% of previous capacity. A majority of restaurants in the state have chosen to stay closed because they can’t make a living doing that.
The fox sports guy is the one who is saying they have fully reopened and have been that way for three weeks and everything is glorious. That is nonsense.

And that shelter in place order for the old and the sick was supposed to expire yesterday. The governor extended it until the end of the month. As I was saying, there are ways where Georgia is more restrictive now than Iowa. Look, this may have been the right idea all along. Be more restrictive with the vulnerable.

That shelter in place order was lifted on April 30, with the exception of people over age 65 or with severe health problems. If you dig a little deeper, there are many many exceptions. Restaurants were only allowed to reopen if they have 6 feet of distance between every seat. Depending on the size of the building they could open with anywhere from 20% to 50% of previous capacity. A majority of restaurants in the state have chosen to stay closed because they can’t make a living doing that.
The fox sports guy is the one who is saying they have fully reopened and have been that way for three weeks and everything is glorious. That is nonsense.

It was never on the table to “fully reopen.” And I don’t know who Fox sports guy is but to say they did almost nothing and backed off everything doesn’t seem correct, either.

And that shelter in place order for the old and the sick was supposed to expire yesterday. The governor extended it until the end of the month. As I was saying, there are ways where Georgia is more restrictive now than Iowa. Look, this may have been the right idea all along. Be more restrictive with the vulnerable.

I think most of us are fine with learning as we go and adapting our response as experience dictates.

Lead, follow, or gtf out of the way.

Things have changed. Need to rethink things that we used to do. Who would think that choir practice could be a problem. Need to be smart and stay safe.

EX6SDmWXQAcbCYP

EX6SDmbXgAI43ya

At least a month ago I got tired of following this thread so don't know what everyone's been talking about. However, I decided to post something that I looked at today.

Basically, I'm all about the DATA, I don't really listen much to doctors, health officials, mayors, governors, etc. --- they're about 10x smarter than me, but they tend to paint a worst-case scenario, I think that's how they're trained. However, DATA sometimes tells a different story.

I often check the website of the Colorado Dept. of Public Health for updates on cases, hospitalizations and deaths - it's the best state site I've seen, shows great graphs and DATA (https://covid19.colorado.gov/data/case-data). Today I ran the mortality numbers and here's what the DATA shows:

In Colorado there have been 1062 deaths from Covid. When looking at age group, here is the death count...
0-9 = 0
10-19 = 1
20-29 = 6
30-39 = 7
40-49 = 27
50-59 = 51
60-69 = 142
70-79 = 243
80+ = 585

Quick calculation shows that people 60 and older have accounted for 91% of the deaths. People 0-39 have accounted for 1%. Wow.

I also calculated that in the 20-29 range, apprx. 3000 people have tested positive, yet only 6 deaths (similar for 30-39). For the 60 and older, apprx. 35% who tested positive have died, and while that's not a good number, it can be viewed that 65% of these elderly people recover.

I also viewed the DATA for California, Washington state, Illinois and Pennsylvania - similar percentages. The missing DATA that I would really like to see is the factor of underlying/pre-existing health issues (e.g. did the 14 people under 40 who have died in Colorado have other health issues that contributed?).

Conclusion. First, a disclaimer...I am NOT, repeat NOT minimizing the seriousness of Covid - I sympathize for the people who have lost loved ones. However, the DATA unequivocally shows that Covid is reasonably dangerous for people over 60 (when the immune system is going down and health issues abound), but not much to be concerned about for people under 60.

Dr Scott Gottlieb, former head of FDA, testified before congress yesterday, saying that there have been upticks in covid cases in Alabama, South Dakota and Texas since they've begun reopening.

He added that there will likely be upticks in more states that lifted restrictions without having met the recommended guidelines of 2 weeks of declining cases.

Overall in U.S. the curve looks like it has flattened, and the hotspot, NY, has shown a decrease in cases, as have some other states.

But other states have merely flattened the curves and still others show increasing covid cases.
Nebraska and Iowa are both having upticks as well.

UdRadk2.jpg

At least a month ago I got tired of following this thread so don't know what everyone's been talking about. However, I decided to post something that I looked at today.

Basically, I'm all about the DATA, I don't really listen much to doctors, health officials, mayors, governors, etc. --- they're about 10x smarter than me, but they tend to paint a worst-case scenario, I think that's how they're trained. However, DATA sometimes tells a different story.

I often check the website of the Colorado Dept. of Public Health for updates on cases, hospitalizations and deaths - it's the best state site I've seen, shows great graphs and DATA (https://covid19.colorado.gov/data/case-data). Today I ran the mortality numbers and here's what the DATA shows:

In Colorado there have been 1062 deaths from Covid. When looking at age group, here is the death count...
0-9 = 0
10-19 = 1
20-29 = 6
30-39 = 7
40-49 = 27
50-59 = 51
60-69 = 142
70-79 = 243
80+ = 585

Quick calculation shows that people 60 and older have accounted for 91% of the deaths. People 0-39 have accounted for 1%. Wow.

I also calculated that in the 20-29 range, apprx. 3000 people have tested positive, yet only 6 deaths (similar for 30-39). For the 60 and older, apprx. 35% who tested positive have died, and while that's not a good number, it can be viewed that 65% of these elderly people recover.

I also viewed the DATA for California, Washington state, Illinois and Pennsylvania - similar percentages. The missing DATA that I would really like to see is the factor of underlying/pre-existing health issues (e.g. did the 14 people under 40 who have died in Colorado have other health issues that contributed?).

Conclusion. First, a disclaimer...I am NOT, repeat NOT minimizing the seriousness of Covid - I sympathize for the people who have lost loved ones. However, the DATA unequivocally shows that Covid is reasonably dangerous for people over 60 (when the immune system is going down and health issues abound), but not much to be concerned about for people under 60.

Agree. I would guess a lot of those under 60 had some sort of medical conditions that increased their likelihood of having a bad outcome. I have a feeling (although nobody will really tell us this for some reason) that Covid19 is not that dangerous for completely healthy people less than 60. For people 40-60 with underlying risk factors and those over 60 (most of which probably have risk factors as well), it is quite dangerous and deadly. Give us the DATA!!!

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

0-9 = 0
10-19 = 1
20-29 = 6
30-39 = 7
40-49 = 27
50-59 = 51
60-69 = 142
70-79 = 243
80+ = 585

Very interesting post. Good work.

I think one of the things we will be seeing as time passes and more information is forthcoming is the damage done to people's bodies without killing them.

Some damage to the lungs was seen very early on. Damage to the heart also.

Then they started to see damage to the kidneys and people having to go on dialysis.

Now with the blood clotting issue becoming more visible they are seeing strokes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/10/coronavirus-attacks-body-symptoms/?arc404=true

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT