ADVERTISEMENT

Damar Hamlin fully cleared to return to football

He does not, but I'd never play again. He got lucky beyond belief. You don't tempt fate like that twice. From the coverage afterwards it's clear he's a smart guy. He has options in life. Just saying what I'd do.

Am I crazy to think he would actually make more in his lifetime if he never plays again than if he does?

Reactions: goldmom
If what happened to Hamlin was commotio cordis, it's a one-in-a-million shot. His physical health is apparently not an issue going forward...the real question is will he be able to hit like he did before without flinching.

Reactions: TJ8869
If what happened to Hamlin was commotio cordis, it's a one-in-a-million shot. His physical health is apparently not an issue going forward...the real question is will he be able to hit like he did before without flinching.
lx3uF00.gif

He does not, but I'd never play again. He got lucky beyond belief. You don't tempt fate like that twice. From the coverage afterwards it's clear he's a smart guy. He has options in life. Just saying what I'd do.
If doctors determined there was a heart defect that makes me more susceptible to cardiac arrest then I would agree. But as Tarheel alluded to, my understanding is that it was a fluke occurrence that happened because he just happened to get hit in the chest at a very specific millisecond in his heart’s cycle.

The odds of it happening again are infinitesimal. He’s no more likely to suffer cardiac arrest than anyone else on the field. So by that reasoning, why would anyone play football? Or any contact sport where getting hit in the chest is a normal
part of the game?

If you love football and you’re one of the best in the world at playing football and people are willing to pay you millions of dollars to play football, then play football.

Last edited:
If doctors determined there was a heart defect that makes me more susceptible to cardiac arrest then I would agree. But as Tarheel alluded to, my understanding is that it was a fluke occurrence that happened because he just happened to get hit in the chest at a very specific millisecond in his heart’s cycle.

The odds of it happening again are infinitesimal. He’s no more likely to suffer cardiac arrest than anyone else on the field. So by that reasoning, why would anyone play football? Or any contact sport where getting hit in the chest is a normal
part of the game?

If you love football and you’re one of the best in the world at playing football and people are willing to pay you millions of dollars to play football, then play football.
I have never agreed with putting too much faith in doctors. One thing doctors are not good at is telling the future. They can only say that they were not able to find anything wrong at the time of testing.

The risk of another cardiac arrest is 15% according to the study below. 15% is quite a bit higher than infinitesimal.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I have never agreed with putting too much faith in doctors. One thing doctors are not good at is telling the future. They can only say that they were not able to find anything wrong at the time of testing.

The risk of another cardiac arrest is 15% according to the study below. 15% is quite a bit higher than infinitesimal.

Your link specifically studied survivors of non-traumatic cardiac arrest incidents. Hamlin’s cardiac arrest wasn’t caused by heart disease. It was caused by a sudden traumatic blow to the chest at a very precise moment in his heart’s cycle.

Of course people who had cardiac arrest due to non-traumatic aetiology are going to be at an elevated risk for recurrence. The cardiovascular disease that caused their first heart attack didn’t suddenly go away.

Hamlin is a young, elite athlete in peak physical condition. Unless his heart was damaged by the first incident, and doctors would know if it was, he’s no more likely to suffer cardiac arrest than anyone else on the field.

Reactions: McLovin32
If he passes a physical, I doubt he would have to sign a waiver. Players Union would have issues, big-time.

If I was an owner, I'd want him to.

Me too,.. I'd cover all the normal stuff but I would want a waiver to protect the organization from any litigation if something went badly again.

Nothing. It’s not out of hate I say that. I find it sad that he’d play again.
Sad is an interesting take, I'm on the opposite end. I think it's awesome if he gets the opportunity to play again. Especially if it's what he really wants to do.

There is a retired hockey player who suffered a similar injury in a game, recovered, and went on to have a long career. His name escapes me but he is in the pro hockey hall of fame.

Edit...

Reactions: TJ8869

Have you ever agreed with putting too much faith in studies? What about putting too much faith in your interpretation of studies?

There is a retired hockey player who suffered a similar injury in a game, recovered, and went on to have a long career. His name escapes me but he is in the pro hockey hall of fame.
Chris Pronger. He got hit in the chest by a slapshot and went into cardiac arrest during a playoff game. IIRC, he came back and played the rest of the series after that.

Hockey players are a different breed of cat, especially during the playoffs. Kris Letang has had multiple strokes and he keeps right on playing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT