ADVERTISEMENT

desanto

You would certainly think the NCAA would make some allowances. I'd hate to take the time to put together all of their current "allowances".

I have no idea what Austin's family is like, but they could possibly raise some serious hell over this if they were so inclined.
His parents are very laid back and low key,Highly doubt they would persue anything

Reactions: 24 so far
Sounds like we need to have Autism awareness night at a home meet to spread awareness or have all the guys take a knee for the NA? No to both but his affliction should be respected. Lord knows everyone else's in the country has been this year.

I don't care what he said, it's complete B.S. to leave him out of the team picture and off the podium no matter whose decision it was. Unbelievable.

I guess he could have just said "I enjoy wrestling", over and over........

If you don't know what happened, how can you say it was over the top? Not to mention, this wasn't his first discipline for behavior. He's been suspended in the past.

If you don't know what happened, how can you say it was over the top? Not to mention, this wasn't his first discipline for behavior. He's been suspended in the past.
Did he punch somebody or firemans carry a reporter to the ground? He apparently said "bad words", that the adults around him are saying to a myriad of officials throughout the tournament.

Seems to me the punishment far exceeds the "crime". If he murdered somebody and they just haven't reported it yet because they didn't want the crime scene disturbed, then I'll walk back my commentary, until then it's bullshit.

Did he punch somebody or firemans carry a reporter to the ground? He apparently said "bad words", that the adults around him are saying to a myriad of officials throughout the tournament.

Seems to me the punishment far exceeds the "crime". If he murdered somebody and they just haven't reported it yet because they didn't want the crime scene disturbed, then I'll walk back my commentary, until then it's bullshit.

Well if you set your bar for not being able to stand on a podium and be in a picture as "murder" then your POV makes more sense.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
It was really an outstanding segment and you can tell this was a personal issue for him. Probably the only defense of Desanto I've seen from a non-iowa fan.

Btw, Willie confirmed that he talked with an official who said there was serious discussion of ejecting Desanto and taking away his team points, which would have given the title to PSU. Could you imagine?

Part of this is on the coaches too. Going forward, they should be up front that nobody is to talk to him or approach him until he has a few minutes to cool down. You would think the NCAA would be willing to make some adjustments for him.

That’s spot on. And will probably be the way they ask officials to treat him directly after a match.

It should be on the coaches, but it has to be difficult foreseeing some of these situations until they happen for the first time. (This is ultimately for Austin’s protection.)

However, these days, once a threat has been made, it’s tough to walk that back without suffering consequences.

So he's been suspended before, you have no idea what happened, but you know it's excessive.

But it all goes over my head. Got it.
I think the point you are missing is that we do have an idea what happened. We don’t know the exact words used but we can see the video and know that he didn’t physically harm anyone or even get in their face. He said some bad words. We don’t know exactly what bad words. Knowing what we do know it’s entirely reasonable to say the punishment was excessive.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
I do know what happened, I'm just not sharing it with you. Feel better? Me too.

giphy.gif

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
I think the point you are missing is that we do have an idea what happened. We don’t know the exact words used but we can see the video and know that he didn’t physically harm anyone or even get in their face. He said some bad words. We don’t know exactly what bad words. Knowing what we do know it’s entirely reasonable to say the punishment was excessive.

If we have confirmation that the incident in question was whatever occurred as he came off the mat, I missed it.

C’mon, his punishment was basically not being in a picture. Unless he complimented the person, it’s reasonable to say the punishment was not excessive.

Thanks Columbo.

As previously said, I don't need to appease you message board clowns, and you'd be way down the list if I were so inclined.

FYI

Just seems weird that you initially sounded like you didn’t know what he said, but then get offended when people point that out and then you say you do actually know. Why didn’t you just say that to begin with?

C’mon, his punishment was basically not being in a picture. Unless he complimented the person, it’s reasonable to say the punishment was not excessive.
Also true. Just because someone has a differing opinion doesn’t make it unreasonable. I know that’s difficult to understand for some of the thick posters we have.

On Willies show today, his co-host explained that he and his wife work with autistic kids and went off about how the media/NCAA is setting Desanto up to fail by interviewing/approaching him right off the mat when he’s wound up. it Was pretty powerful.
While what you say is accurate, there is no way that everyone involved in a large scale event can be briefed on what to do and how to handle, in this case, someone on the spectrum. In a perfect world he would be given time and possibly even questions ahead of time. Unfortunately for people with disabilities, (high end of course) the world is not fair and you are accountable for your actions.

Why is Austin held accountable and Terry isn't? It's not like they're at 2 different institutions. Not sure why one is allowed to act however he wants with nothing said about it. Something has to change why are we protecting Terry and not the athlete with a disability
I'm guessing because Terry did not use the incredibly politically incorrect term of "killing" someone. Pretty sure if he said that he would not only be reprimanded, but no longer have a job. Having a disability is not an automatic free pass. He is on the spectrum, he's not considered a "low functioning" person including those categorized as trainable and mentally disabled. And yes I know these terms change continually as I have been in the business for 35 years. AD is just going to have to learn to deal with stressful situations that will come up throughout his life. I'm sure he would be the last person to use this as an excuse.

Yep everyone keeps making excuses for Terry and his behaviors. So your saying you know for a fact he made a comment about killing someone?

Change of pace here. What, in your opinion, could/should be done to help curb some of the behaviors of coaches/athletes during competition?

I've never been a fan of taking team points after the fact, but not sure what might actually work. Could the ejection of coaches like in bball work for wrestling? Or a card system like in MLS?

Change of pace here. What, in your opinion, could/should be done to help curb some of the behaviors of coaches/athletes during competition?

I've never been a fan of taking team points after the fact, but not sure what might actually work. Could the ejection of coaches like in bball work for wrestling? Or a card system like in MLS?
I'm a big fan of either ejections/card system (which just leads to ejections). That would be incredible. Can you imagine Carver when Tom gets ejected arguing a bad call?

While what you say is accurate, there is no way that everyone involved in a large scale event can be briefed on what to do and how to handle, in this case, someone on the spectrum. In a perfect world he would be given time and possibly even questions ahead of time. Unfortunately for people with disabilities, (high end of course) the world is not fair and you are accountable for your actions.
I would feel better about the disciplinary action taken against AD by The Hawkeye administration provided they also made a good faith effort to inform the NCAA in advance of the special needs AD may have re: interactions immediately after match completion. The coaching staff and Hawkeye administration know how explosive AD can be. The coaches, after a contentious match, have often stepped on the mat to assist and restrain AD if necessary. I think rather than our casting aspersions toward the media or the NCAA tournament staff the first question that should be presented is what did the Hawkeye Athletic Dept. staff due, with advance knowledge of AD's tendencies, to provide the proper temporary buffer he may need to recompose following intense competition.

20 mins? Yup...you da man.
do I also qualify for "you da man club?" the number of calls I get daily are increasing exponentially from:
- Social Security fraud alerts
- Car warranty firms
- amazon account security

my phone never stops ringing. A sure sign of my importance (or is it impotence?)

Reactions: armbartilt

Bball as in baseball or basketball? I don't watch a lot of basketball, but if you're talking baseball then no thanks. Those clowns are the most egotistical officials in all of sports. Did you just glance at me after I made a terrible call!?!?!? YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!!

If we have confirmation that the incident in question was whatever occurred as he came off the mat, I missed it.

No, I am not sure anything has been confirmed that the time when he came off the mat is the incident in question. It seems to be the common assumption though. Yes, it could have happened later.

You posted something in a thread several days ago something about this incident being "obvious".

So now with your above post, nothing seems obvious and you are being very cryptic.

Yep everyone keeps making excuses for Terry and his behaviors. So your saying you know for a fact he made a comment about killing someone?
Where did I say anything remotely close to what you’re (notice correct usage) claiming?

No, I am not sure anything has been confirmed that the time when he came off the mat is the incident in question. It seems to be the common assumption though. Yes, it could have happened later.

You posted something in a thread several days ago something about this incident being "obvious".

So now with your above post, nothing seems obvious and you are being very cryptic.

I originally thought it was but now think it is possible there’s more. And nothing is cryptic. As usual, I know not-ing!

It seems you miss a lot. Good luck with that.

So did we have confirmation or not? Why not just answer the question? Seems simple enough.

He's come a long way, not even close to what we saw his first year.
Fine young man, accomplished more in wrestling and life than most could dream of.
Congrats DeSanto!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT