ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know...? (Iowa 2021 Trivia)

unoHawkeye

HR Legend
Jul 30, 2015
Did you know that in every loss of Iowa’s this year, they have given up 80+ points? In fact Iowa is 1-5 this year in games where they have given up 80+, with the sole win coming against North Carolina (they scored 80 on the nose) at the beginning of the year.

When Iowa has held opponents to less than 80 points? Undefeated.

I’m glad that Fran owned up to not playing Perkins/Toussaint enough minutes in his postgame presser, but when will he realize that Iowa basketball RARELY comes out on the positive side of shootouts? I’m a little bummed out by the game plan tonight. Hopefully it was a good lesson and we bounce back to get revenge on IU on Super Bowl Sunday

I’m not proud of Fran for admitting his mistakes because this continues to happen. Completely understandable once or twice but to simply not play the guys who literally won you a game 48 hours prior and had a good first half.. unacceptable!

I’m not proud of Fran for admitting his mistakes because this continues to happen. Completely understandable once or twice but to simply not play the guys who literally won you a game 48 hours prior and had a good first half.. unacceptable!
Agreed. Fran should’ve just shut the hell up & played the idiot in the post game presser just like he did all game.

Fran admitting he’s an idiot does nothing but piss the fanbase off even more.

Fran owning up don’t cut it. The same craps been going on forever. Results matter.
Obviously he has to actually make a change. But recognition of a problem is the first step to a solution

And to be completely fair to myself, I never used the word “proud”

maxresdefault.jpg

It's interesting, but not surprising....

If you let the other team score a ton by caring very little about Defense like Iowa does, you are going to lose games. Giving up 80+ isn't a recipe for success for any college team.

Would be nice for some team leaders to have some pride in defense and hold their teammates accountable. It's effort and attention to detail....

It also helps to play guards that can freaking play defense. Or try to play defense and not just daydream about their next 3 point attempt

Like someone said in another post, the starters are not concerned about losing minutes. They know, know matter what, they are going to get their normal minutes for the most part. I will guess Fran will get JoeT and Perkins in the game early Sunday and play them a fair amount of minutes. Maybe even play Ulis some. The concerning part is, how many points will they score while they are in?

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Like someone said in another post, the starters are not concerned about losing minutes. They know, know matter what, they are going to get their normal minutes for the most part. I will guess Fran will get JoeT and Perkins in the game early Sunday and play them a fair amount of minutes. Maybe even play Ulis some. The concerning part is, how many points will they score while they are in?
Just my opinion, but I don’t believe that the starters have become complacent or anything like that. Their goal from day 1 is a natty, and that’s why everybody came back. I think the weapons are there to make it happen, but it’s up to Fran to put the right people on the floor at the right times to put the team in a position to win. In the game tonight, against Indiana, and against Minnesota, open threes by the opposition late in the game are what buried us. At some point Fran needs to see the pattern and make a lineup change. Get guys who will get up into defenders’ faces and get a stop into the game. Let Toussaint force the issue and get to the hoop to draw a foul. An unconfident Bohannon dribbling around the perimeter for 15 seconds late in the game isn’t the answer

Reactions: haightt and rondy
Just my opinion, but I don’t believe that the starters have become complacent or anything like that. Their goal from day 1 is a natty, and that’s why everybody came back. I think the weapons are there to make it happen, but it’s up to Fran to put the right people on the floor at the right times to put the team in a position to win. In the game tonight, against Indiana, and against Minnesota, open threes by the opposition late in the game are what buried us. At some point Fran needs to see the pattern and make a lineup change. Get guys who will get up into defenders’ faces and get a stop into the game. Let Toussaint force the issue and get to the hoop to draw a foul. An unconfident Bohannon dribbling around the perimeter for 15 seconds late in the game isn’t the answer
I don't think they have become complacent but at some point, Fran has to sit guys when they are not playing well to send a message. I just don't see him doing that enough. I thought the MSU game he did but tonight it didn't happen.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I don't think they have become complacent but at some point, Fran has to sit guys when they are not playing well to send a message. I just don't see him doing that enough. I thought the MSU game he did but tonight it didn't happen.
Based on his comments after the MSU game, it seemed to be less about sending a message to the starters, and more about how well the bench players were playing to where he couldn’t take them out. The last time he really seemed to try to send a message to the starters was during the Rutgers game at the RAC this year (where, maybe not coincidentally, we pulled out a win after a nice comeback). Weezy and Fredrick barely played and Connor got hurt IIRC

But I think we agree in general that there are players who seemingly get a lot longer least than others, and some who don’t get a chance to heavily impact games when they maybe should

Christ, he doesn't have to send a message. He just needs to coach on the fly. The lack of subs in the second half, especially after losing an 11 point lead in a flash, is all you need to know about how much of a dipshit he can be. That was an inexcusable coaching job in the second half. Horrid.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Christ, he doesn't have to send a message. He just needs to coach on the fly. The lack of subs in the second half, especially after losing an 11 point lead in a flash, is all you need to know about how much of a dipshit he can be. That was an inexcusable coaching job in the second half. Horrid.
Very blunt, but can’t disagree

I don't even care as long as they don't get killed on defense :)

I am slowly feeling like this is the antithesis of Lick ball. We were begging for anyone to score now we can't play d. Life of a Hawk fan :)

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT