ADVERTISEMENT

Do any of you live on the beach on the gulf?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
Being on Gulf beaches has been my favorite place to vacation since I was a wee lad. We typically vacationed from Bonita springs down to Marco. More recently I enjoyed Clearwater beach tremendously. I love the crash of the waves, the birds, the sun, the soft sand, etc. As I stare at 50 and think about playing the back 9 of life, I do think about getting a second place on the beach if the money is there. I don’t want to move into a waiting room to die, but for those you who have done it, did it live up to expectations? Disappoint you? When the time is right we will probably rent a condo for a month just to see how we like it on a test run, but I was curious what the collective experience here has been.

Last edited:
Being on Gulf beaches has been my favorite place to vacation since I was a wee lad. We typically vacationed from Bonita springs down to Marso. More recently I enjoyed Clearwater beach tremendously. I love the crash of the waves, the birds, the sun, the soft sand, etc. As I stare at 50 and think about playing the back 9 of life, I do think about getting a second place on the beach if the money is there. I don’t want to move into a waiting room to die, but for those you who have done it, did it live up to expectations? Disappoint you? When the time is right we will probably rent a condo for a month just to see how we like it on a test run, but I was curious what the collective experience here has been.
When the kids leave the nest, me and my wife have seriously discussed selling everything and buying a motor home and planting it in the park closest to Longboat/ Anna Maria and living our best life that way.

We have a gulf front timeshare in Treasure Island Florida (south of clearwater) we go to for one week every February. Its a fixed week in an owner incorporated property, not some kind of RCI or other vacation thing. Meaning we are actually deeded 1/52nd of that actual condo on specified dates every year, so it is actually a second home to us, albeit just one week. We absolutely love it. We stayed there during covid year because the Canadians all couldn't come and they were renting all of their weeks that winter and we just randomly stumbled upon it. We loved the area and the people so we kept in touch and ended up buying a week when one of the extremely rare 2 bedroom units came up for grabs. Many of the people have been going there for 20 or 30 years and have slowly collected enough weeks in the same condo that they became full on snowbirds that just started out on vacation years ago. They literally are neighbors to us when we go there, they've seen the kids grow up a lot each visit over the last 4 years. The area is low density because Treasure Island is actually its own sovereign city, unlike the surrounding barrier islands that are all in name only but are actually governed by the county. Therefore they have their own council and ordinances and have mostly kept major high rise development off the island. Our place is a classic 50s style two story motel with a pool/courtyard style layout that they converted to condos in the 80s. Some have been torn down around us and rebuilt bigger, we've already seen the time lapse of one of the run down ones suddenly be a pile of rubble one year, to a a six story block shell of the building the next, to a completed complex peddling $3 million condos this this year, but most places nearby are just like ours.

As much as we'd love to, living and maintaining a beach front place permanently isn't likely to be financially feasible. I'd love to move into the area but somewhere inland in a few years. You can always drive to the beach, and even if we live there I'd still keep the timeshare week as a stay cation or to have friends from home or even the kids down as adults for vacation if they're somewhere else. By then we may even have it longer if the people before or after us ever decide to sell their weeks.

Do what you said and try it out for a month. We just do our single week, but we've met people older than us that have started small as well and have extended their stays in the time we've known them. If you love the beach life give it a shot! A lot of the independent condo/timeshare properties are actually rather obscure if you try to search for them on google and generally don't appear on travel sites, but if you're at all interested in the treasure island area I can let you know about some that generally have rental programs for owners unused weeks.

We have a gulf front timeshare in Treasure Island Florida (south of clearwater) we go to for one week every February. Its a fixed week in an owner incorporated property, not some kind of RCI or other vacation thing. Meaning we are actually deeded 1/52nd of that actual condo on specified dates every year, so it is actually a second home to us, albeit just one week. We absolutely love it. We stayed there during covid year because the Canadians all couldn't come and they were renting all of their weeks that winter and we just randomly stumbled upon it. We loved the area and the people so we kept in touch and ended up buying a week when one of the extremely rare 2 bedroom units came up for grabs. Many of the people have been going there for 20 or 30 years and have slowly collected enough weeks in the same condo that they became full on snowbirds that just started out on vacation years ago. They literally are neighbors to us when we go there, they've seen the kids grow up a lot each visit over the last 4 years. The area is low density because Treasure Island is actually its own sovereign city, unlike the surrounding barrier islands that are all in name only but are actually governed by the county. Therefore they have their own council and ordinances and have mostly kept major high rise development off the island. Our place is a classic 50s style two story motel with a pool/courtyard style layout that they converted to condos in the 80s. Some have been torn down around us and rebuilt bigger, we've already seen the time lapse of one of the run down ones suddenly be a pile of rubble one year, to a a six story block shell of the building the next, to a completed complex peddling $3 million condos this this year, but most places nearby are just like ours.

As much as we'd love to, living and maintaining a beach front place permanently isn't likely to be financially feasible. I'd love to move into the area but somewhere inland in a few years. You can always drive to the beach, and even if we live there I'd still keep the timeshare week as a stay cation or to have friends from home or even the kids down as adults for vacation if they're somewhere else. By then we may even have it longer if the people before or after us ever decide to sell their weeks.

Do what you said and try it out for a month. We just do our single week, but we've met people older than us that have started small as well and have extended their stays in the time we've known them. If you love the beach life give it a shot! A lot of the independent condo/timeshare properties are actually rather obscure if you try to search for them on google and generally don't appear on travel sites, but if you're at all interested in the treasure island area I can let you know about some that generally have rental programs for owners unused weeks.
AWESOME post - thank you!

Live part time on 30a. Will be moving here permanently once I sell a house.
I watched a program on PBS (Florida Crossroads) this morning about the dune lakes along 30A. I can remember taking the kids and their cousins out to Grayton Beach in the 80’s and it was nothing but pine trees and palmettos. My brother was still in the Air Force and was at Eglin.
Now it’s a zoo. On an overcrowded two lane road.

I watched a program on PBS (Florida Crossroads) this morning about the dune lakes along 30A. I can remember taking the kids and their cousins out to Grayton Beach in the 80’s and it was nothing but pine trees and palmettos. My brother was still in the Air Force and was at Eglin.
It's still beautiful. Like no other place.

Reactions: goldmom
Got an acre of land at Carrabelle beach. Will be retiring there in less than 2 years.
We spent a fair bit of time there as kids. Pops had an Aunt who had a classic concrete slab “cottage” there. Big roof overhangs, open floor plan, screened porches on the shady side, no AC, huge fan in the big back room that we would stand in front of for relief from sunburns.
Being on the inland side from Dog and St. George Islands, we didn’t have the classic big wide white beaches, but it was still chill as hell.
The kids would hit out early to net blue crabs, the adults went out at night for flounder and rock crabs. They did the “shuffle feet” walk to chase off the sting rays. Aunt Nora had a stuffed crab recipe that is still one of my favorite memories.
We would go “downtown” once or twice a week. Old school Florida…
Carrabelle!

Just like so many of the New England villages do, 30A folks should fight tooth and nail against road widening. Once the multi lanes come thru, mega commercialization follows quickly.
If you don’t like two lane traffic, go elsewhere, like Destin.

Reactions: ericram
When the kids leave the nest, me and my wife have seriously discussed selling everything and buying a motor home and planting it in the park closest to Longboat/ Anna Maria and living our best life that way.
A very underrated part of the Lethal Weapon movies is how Martin Riggs basically took a motor home and parked in on the beach, and viola......beachfront home. And then you see how it evolves over the course of the films.

If you can find and claim a piece of beachfront land like that, that'd be gold.

fish camp near South Padre (south Texas). My co-worker just sold his Galveston house. The real estate market on island is still really hot.

Reactions: SF HAWKEYE
Just like so many of the New England villages do, 30A folks should fight tooth and nail against road widening. Once the multi lanes come thru, mega commercialization follows quickly.
If you don’t like two lane traffic, go elsewhere, like Destin.
I’m not challenging you but in my experience living in New England, along the coast, it’s been so full of people so long, I don’t know how you’d really widen any of the existing roads if you wanted to.

I’m not challenging you but in my experience living in New England, along the coast, it’s been so full of people so long, I don’t know how you’d really widen any of the existing roads if you wanted to.
Without imminent domain type rulings, you won’t see it. The typical widening project in southern states doesn’t involve as much old line, monied resistance.
So often, in places like Florida, once development starts, the roads widen and endless egress points allow crazy, endless, traffic lights and congestion.
You would think that a better process could occur, but not yet.

Last edited:
Without imminent domain type rulings, you won’t see it. The typical widening project in southern states doesn’t involve as much old line, monied resistance.
So often, in places like Florida, once development starts, the roads widen and endless egress points allow crazy, endless, traffic lights and congestion.

WOB?

• Love
Reactions: Tenacious E
As other have eluded to, having a beachfront property is a pain in the ass. The sun and the salt and the wind and the sand beats on everything relentlessly. Prepare for everything to wear out 2 or 3 times faster than it would even a block off the ocean.

Last edited:
As other have eluded to, having a beachfront property is a pain in the ass. The sun and the salt and sand beats on everything relentlessly. Prepare for everything to wear out 2 or 3 times faster than it would even a block off the ocean.
Well, I don’t think I’ll have the juice to buy an actual beachfront house on the gulf, don’t those start at $5m? I was thinking about a nice condo.

I'm right there with the OP - will be going somewhere warm for the winters in next 3-5 years. I initially loved the PCB/30A area, but I've come to the realization that I really want to be more 'rural' long term, while still being within driving distance of the hustle and bustle of more touristy areas

Condo HOA costs are rediculous these days. I'm open to plopping a little motorhome/travel trailer somewhere on the forgotten coast from Mexico Beach all the way down to Cedar Key.

However after a couple cold (okay, 'cooler') holiday vacations in the panhandle in the last couple years, I'm looking more south of Tampa - maybe on a feeder river that flows into the bay at Ft Meyers.

There's also a dinky little fishcamp island south of Everglades City that intrigues me as well. I'd love nothing more than to go out flats fishing every morning.

The whole state us nothing but one endless strip mall with countless stop lights.

Being on Gulf beaches has been my favorite place to vacation since I was a wee lad. We typically vacationed from Bonita springs down to Marco. More recently I enjoyed Clearwater beach tremendously. I love the crash of the waves, the birds, the sun, the soft sand, etc. As I stare at 50 and think about playing the back 9 of life, I do think about getting a second place on the beach if the money is there. I don’t want to move into a waiting room to die, but for those you who have done it, did it live up to expectations? Disappoint you? When the time is right we will probably rent a condo for a month just to see how we like it on a test run, but I was curious what the collective experience here has been.
Tampa/Clearwater was a lot of fun. Went there for the '09 Outback Bowl (2008 season).

Didn't really have time to check out the Miami beaches the following year for the Orange Bowl.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I live about three miles from the beach. That's is close enough. Even if I was HROT rich I wouldn't live at the beach.

We hang out at the beach a lot March-June and September- early December.

Like someone alluded earlier, every thing built on the beach wears out five times faster then normal.

We rent a beach house in Miramar Beach for a week twice a year. It's a blast and we don't have any travel expense with it.

Last edited:

We had a place right on the gulf in the Redington Beach area. About 40 years ago it was quiet and quaint. Mostly small houses or a trailer park (seriously) were the neighbors. We would be the only people on the beach during many summer days.

Now, so much development you can’t find a quiet spot to enjoy the gulf. No thanks. We sold out in 2019.

I should add.

We found a few much quieter spots this past year when we were down there a few days.

Pass-a-grille and Dunedin / Honeymoon Island areas. We might buy near one of those in the future

We've had a bad run of live-in maids at our main home in The Hamptons but when we have a good one we can trust with the house we like to spend time at our Florida gulf home and our condo in Tulum. Of course we have to be careful the humidity doesn't ruin the gf's pearls....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT