ADVERTISEMENT

Do we cheer for Iowa St?

The best post I read in this thread (by a Hawk fan I believe) seemed to defend Iowa State by saying "you play who is on your schedule". Iowa has benefitted from a easy schedule the last few years, feasting on a weak West Division. I dont recall anyone complaining about that until the last couple of years where Iowa won with a great defense, a great punter, but an awful offense.

The Big 12 has a lot of GOOD teams, but no one great. BYU, Iowa State, Texas Tech,
K State can all be classified as good. Utah,OK State and KU were all ranked earlier this year, but are struggling. I hate to give Colorado credit, so I wont.

My point is that the Big 10 has better teams at the top (Oregon, OSU, and PSU), but the Big 12 may have MORE good teams.

Can ISU beat anyone in tbe CFP? Maybe. In a 1 game situation, anything is possible (see Vandy + Bama). I refuse to allow myself to think that far ahead.

Im just enjoying the ride. 6-0 has never happened in my lifetime. Home game vs UCF this week. Any true Cyclone is "cautiously optimistic".
And now ISU fans want their flowers from Iowa fans when for years ISU fans dogged our schedule despite ISU being on it. I don’t see how ISU fans expect this just because the shoes on the other foot now.

ISU fans here have no business having a winning team. They act like they are national champs already. I never hesitate to tell them you haven't won a conference championship in over 100 years. Bunch of cock assholes that have nothing to be cocky about.
Pretty much the chiefs of college football. Same colors and everything.

All the chest thumping about conference pedigree reminds me when people here were bragging about the extra money the B10 was going to bring in, but ignoring that it means more losses and a more difficult time to the top for Iowa.

Right, chances of the B12 winning the national championship aren’t great… but Iowa winning a national championship are even worse.

Iowa State has a 50% chance to make the playoffs. Iowa has a 5% chance.
Both teams have near identical talent. In what world can you spin conference realignment as a good thing for Iowa and a bad thing for ISU? Is it really bragging rights that as an Iowa fan you can cheer for Ohio State or Oregon to win the NC?

Textbook example of how people are tricked into voting against their self-interest to protect those at the top.

All the chest thumping about conference pedigree reminds me when people here were bragging about the extra money the B10 was going to bring in, but ignoring that it means more losses and a more difficult time to the top for Iowa.

Right, chances of the B12 winning the national championship aren’t great… but Iowa winning a national championship are even worse.

Both teams have near identical talent. In what world can you spin conference realignment as a good thing for Iowa and a bad thing for ISU? Is it really bragging rights that as an Iowa fan you can cheer for Ohio State or Oregon to win the NC?

Textbook example of how people are tricked into voting against their self-interest to protect those at the top.
The money will only matter if and when the schools can directly pay players.

The money will only matter if and when the schools can directly pay players.
The admin and ADs will never give up that money. They will only give up that money if they are forced to. The extra money does nothing for Iowa fans - and even IF that money went to players, how does that help Iowa beat OSU, Mich, Penn State USC? It’s all about your resources compared to your path. It has no effect on ISUs path either.

“extra money”
Yes.

“extra money”
Yes.
Iowa has like 40 M more per year than ISU in their budget. Do you see the results on the field every single year? Iowa should be dominating in almost every sport. Someone needs to seriously ask the AD where are the results? Just seems to me that Iowa is not getting what they are paying for.

Iowa has like 40 M more per year than ISU in their budget. Do you see the results on the field every single year? Iowa should be dominating in almost every sport. Someone needs to seriously ask the AD where are the results? Just seems to me that Iowa is not getting what they are paying for.
I think in football Iowa has at least been set up to do great things. The undefeated regular season in 2015, multiple 10+ win seasons, B1G Championship game appearances, All-Americans, NFL representation, etc. That said, I do believe an offense with a pulse the last 3-4 years would’ve given us a shot at even greater things. That falls on coaching, and the ball was dropped during that span. Iowa is in a great position financially for continued success, but it all depends on the next coaching staff. (I believe Ferentz will be done after this year or next.)

Men’s basketball the same. It has the money but, in my opinion, Fran isn’t the man. Recruiting is great for a mid-major school or a men’s league at the local YMCA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT