ADVERTISEMENT

Do we cheer for Iowa St?

They will lose at least 2 games out of all of those.
Yeah they most likely will not get out unscathed. But my God they are 6-0 and they act like they would stand a chance in the playoffs. But I feel as though most of the rankings are way out of whack anyway and the next couple of weeks will straighten them out a little. That's why I say, the best thing the Hawks can do is dominate and the rest will take care of itself.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Yeah they most likely will not get out unscathed. But my God they are 6-0 and they act like they would stand a chance in the playoffs. But I feel as though most of the rankings are way out of whack anyway and the next couple of weeks will straighten them out a little. That's why I say, the best thing the Hawks can do is dominate and the rest will take care of itself.

IF we finish 10-2, we are gonna be thinking we should be 11-1.

ughhhhhh

But neither Iowa nor Iowa State can hang with Texas, Oregon or Ohio State.

The final seeding would be after the conference championship games, correct? So they would have to go 13-0 to get that #4?

Whoever wins the BigXII is guaranteed a playoff spot with an opening round bye. So no, Iowa State does not have to win out to receive that four spot in the ranking. In fact, they could possibly lose two more games and still get the #4 seed.

But yes, the final seeding is after the conf championship games. The conference champion has a guaranteed spot in the playoffs from the B1G, ACC, SEC, and BigXII with a seed #1-4 (opening round bye).

Last edited:
I root for all Iowa teams, except when they play the Hawks. This thread and Cyclone fans are making me rethink that. Here is the deal, The object for Iowa was always to win the B10 Championship going back to when winning it meant you went to the Rose Bowl. So non conference games meant very little to Iowa. However those games meant everything to ISU. NOW that ISU has the chance to maybe win the B12 championship and that would mean they get invited to a nice place, they are beginning to understand what the non conference games actually meant to Hawkeyes all these years. So don't go puffing up, just because now you realize that there might be more to a football season then 1 non conference game. Like the old saying goes, act like you have been there before (even if you haven't).

I’ll actually disagree with your post 100%. First, if this thread is making you rethink rooting for ISU, that says you don’t visit here much. The few ISU fans posting in this thread are actually some of the better ISU around here. At least in this thread so far.

Secondly and most important, the non conference schedule for ISU or any BigXII means dick now. The only thing that matters to a BigXII team nowadays is winning their conference as that’ll be their only shot of making the playoffs. It is going to be very unlikely to see an at large team make the playoffs from the BigXII in the future.

Whoever wins the BigXII is guaranteed a playoff spot with an opening round bye.

Actually some clarification on that came out - conference champs are NOT guaranteed a first round bye or top 4 seed. I'd be absolutely shocked if they ended up a top 4 seed even if they won out. For the record I'd rather have that first round home game so I'd love a 5-8 seed.

Secondly and most important, the non conference schedule for ISU or any BigXII means dick now. The only thing that matters to a BigXII team nowadays is winning their conference as that’ll be their only shot of making the playoffs. It is going to be very unlikely to see an at large team make the playoffs from the BigXII in the future.

Agreed and honestly this is the reason Big 12 teams should either do one of two things: Schedule extremely hard, or schedule extremely easy. If you can schedule a bunch of really tough games, nothing is honestly ruined by losing to them. Or you can schedule really easy to try and get and stay ranked as high as possible.

Actually some clarification on that came out - conference champs are NOT guaranteed a first round bye or top 4 seed. I'd be absolutely shocked if they ended up a top 4 seed even if they won out. For the record I'd rather have that first round home game so I'd love a 5-8 seed.

Did something change in the last 35 days (see link).

Under these set of playoff seeding rules, a BigXII team will virtually never see a 5-8 seed.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...all-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids?amp

Updated link from a day later
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2024-02-20/how-college-football-playoff-works?amp

Last edited:
With Clown U's cupcake Big 12 schedule, they are on their way to a 10-0 start.

Clown U does not play a ranked team until their final regular season game, which is at home (vs K State).

Clown U's (6-0) remaining 6 games:

vsUCF (3-3)
10/19....TBD

******Oct 26 BYE WEEK******

vsTexas Tech (5-1)
11/2....TBD

@Kansas (1-5)
11/9....TBD

vsCincinnati (4-2)
11/16....TBD

@ Utah (4-2)
11/23....TBD

vs #18 Kansas State (5-1)
11/30....TBD

With Iowa's cupcake Big 10 schedule they have zero ranked teams left. ISU's remaining SOS per the FPI is 52 and Iowa's is 70.

I've made a good chunk of money on the Cyclones.

I actually enjoy watching them.

I'll now go wash my mouth out with soap.

Honestly I heard them talking about it on a CycloneFanatic Podcast, I don't remember which one and even if I did I wouldn't remember where it was in it. I could be wrong.

The ONLY WAY a P4 champion would not receive the 1-4 seed (opening round bye) is if the G5 champion is ranked higher than them in the final CFP rankings. That would be embarrassing. Notre Dame or any other independent can never receive a 1-4 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT