ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think about your job and co-workers outside of work hours?

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
How much does your job consume your thoughts?

I rarely give my job any thoughts outside of the ole 9-5.

I think I'm good with that. Or perhaps I need a job that I actually care about more? Or perhaps it's against my nature to care so much about a job at all? I'm not sure how to think about it. I had always been content with the idea the you aren't your work, the job you have.

I did. I was really invested in my team. I was concerned about how everyone else was doing with workload and I often thought about current projects off hours and would put in hours for strategy late at night.

Then I realized one day that I was completely burned out and nobody above me gave even a single sh1t about any of the stuff that I was worried about.

I walked away in April for a professional break and it was the best thing I’ve ever done. As it happened, I lost my dad 2 days before my last day, so I left with a ton of emotions and all the rest, but it’s been good for me and I’ve found some creative outlets during my break. I’m starting to look again and I’m going to come back as the same professional I was before, but with more of a focus on personal balance.

My work laptop is always on and I am regularly doing things on it or a phone ap 24/7.

Work never ends...just where I do it from.

I work on a farm and get paid piece rate. We help people in recovery get back on their feet. I love my job and I bust my frickin ass 12 hrs. a day. I think about my coworkers all the time and we're very close to our boss and his family. I'm 44 years old and I feel great, it's the best job i've ever had.

Last edited:
I am unplugged from work. No emails on my cell and I rarely check in. If I am working on a high level project, sometimes I will have a shower moment where I find a step forward.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
When I go on vacations, I try to completely unplug from work. Beyond that, however, rare is the time that I’m not thinking about work related issues (projects that I’m running, the team(s) I’m responsible for, firm wide strategic initiatives that I’ve set or that fall within the practice area that I lead). I recognize the stress that it’s causing and the negative impact on my health (I’m slowly trying to rectify that) but have to also accept that a lot of this just “comes with the job”

I unplug right at 430. Work is for work not for my time off from work. I’ve tried very hard to not make my identity about the work I’ve done but about who I am with my family and friends. Work can kick rocks, time is too precious to worry about work outside of work.

way too much, I am the only "f****** American" which is apparently my call sign, so the hours suck as those bastards are in New Zealand,
I have 20+ emails every Sunday, which forced me to send numerous emails on Saturdays to get in front of the BS, so yes, way too much

I'm the majority owner, so yes. But I am pretty good about unplugging when away from the office.

Not anymore. I had a miserable job in mortgage default servicing a few years back that I couldn't unplug from mentally. Processing/negotiating/closing 50-60 real estate short sales at a time after employer combined those three roles into one with the only thought being the customer needs a single point of contact at our company, so why not have it be the same person doing all the semi technical work we just combined into one role? Didn't seem to put much thought into the personnel capacity it would require or burnout it would cause. Took the first lateral move I could find after it became clear management was totally unresponsive and/or didn't care.

In the middle of a four day weekend. Signed on two different nights to apply maintenance, and was called by our on call person because a user’s application’s were failing and they couldn’t figure out why. Idiots.

I go on call tomorrow for a week.

Sometimes I think about the new office clerk.

Thailand-Model-Champ-Phawida-Sexy-Secretary-and-Office-Uniform-TruePic.net%2B%252810%2529.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT