ADVERTISEMENT

Dochertman speculation on KXNO

OL coach should be dismissed, if I were the incoming OC, I would demand a new OL coach to match what my scheme is. GB is the one responsible for the shite show that is the OL.
Yeah, I’d think the new OC would like to agree to being a part of a new O line coaching hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: obfuscating
and obtuse
obtuse-the-shawshank-redemption.gif

How many threads do we need when an Iowa reporter makes a comment? They have zero info, zero sources, have wiffed on "speculation" for the last 20 years. The Iowa media is just another fan expressing their thoughts. Ever sine the weight lifting issue and diversity issue nobody gives any scoop to that media room. They are trained and give them credit, nothing usually leaks.

How many threads do we need when an Iowa reporter makes a comment? They have zero info, zero sources, have wiffed on "speculation" for the last 20 years. The Iowa media is just another fan expressing their thoughts. Ever sine the weight lifting issue and diversity issue nobody gives any scoop to that media room. They are trained and give them credit, nothing usually leaks.
and yet, here you are commenting on it. Would you rather a convo about Brian? How about Barnett. Bro it's the offseason, and the mens basketball team blows. Not much more needs to be said about the women's team.

As I write this I know it goes against a lot of what KF does, BUT perhaps it is less Barnett and more the zone blocking scheme. With the changes in rules over the past few years, perhaps our line has been bad because they can't zone block well and the rules have really limited what we can do with cut blocking people. This might be why Chryst is one of the finalists for the OC. He ran more big on big blocking at Wisky and maybe KF knows we can't block the same way we did 20 years ago. We did pull more OL than anytime I can remember since Fry. I can see giving Barnett another year in perhaps a different blocking scheme with the new OC. Iowa has been one of the last teams that tried to zone block everything.

The main reason zone blocking has been less successful at Iowa is because we run very few constraint plays, so the defense can sell out with the flow of the play.

KF sees it as training his OL for the NFL so that they are prepared to meet the demands at that level, but when you have 5-6 guys trying to block 7-9 defenders it just isn't fair and the defense should be "penalized" by the offense for cheating to the tendency.

Problem is, we don't do that nearly enough. Hence, we need to execute better to have success on offense.

No one here really thinks there is even a remote chance Ryan Grubb is coming to Iowa as an OC, do they?

He will leave to be a head coach or an OC in the NFL. What would motivate him to come to Iowa?
No way he comes to Iowa. But the only thing that could possibly motivate him would be a little background talk of come here and take the OC for a couple of years and then that is an easy shot at taking over the HC gig once KF retires.

Reactions: Biggus Blockus
The main reason zone blocking has been less successful at Iowa is because we run very few constraint plays, so the defense can sell out with the flow of the play.

KF sees it as training his OL for the NFL so that they are prepared to meet the demands at that level, but when you have 5-6 guys trying to block 7-9 defenders it just isn't fair and the defense should be "penalized" by the offense for cheating to the tendency.

Problem is, we don't do that nearly enough. Hence, we need to execute better to have success on offense.
the new blocking rules have hurt the zone scheme the most.

No one here really thinks there is even a remote chance Ryan Grubb is coming to Iowa as an OC, do they?

He will leave to be a head coach or an OC in the NFL. What would motivate him to come to Iowa?
Only thing would be an insane contract, and the second he doesn't produce everyone is gonna be mad.

To

Top that with does anyone really think KF would let Grubb run Grubb's offense?

Reactions: Biggus Blockus
Why on earth would Grubb leave a national championship contending program, working with a HC who's a friend and with whom he coached prior to them getting to UW, where he's getting paid nearly $1.7 million before bonuses? The guy already turned down Alabama.

To

Top that with does anyone really think KF would let Grubb run Grubb's offense?
Not really worth discussing because I cannot imagine a world in which Grubb is both offered and takes the job without KF and Grubb having this very conversation, probably at a pretty deep level in terms of expectations and roles.

Why on earth would Grubb leave a national championship contending program, working with a HC who's a friend and with whom he coached prior to them getting to UW, where he's getting paid nearly $1.7 million before bonuses? The guy already turned down Alabama.
I’ll caveat my comments by saying that I really don’t think Grubb is going to be the hire….but to play devil’s advocate, he is from Iowa. He played HS football in Iowa, then played at BV, then coaches his Alma mater, then coached in SD. I could see a desire to come back home if the deal was good enough for him or there were some indications that he could be the HC in waiting after KF retires. That’s the path.

The only reason why there may be a sliver of hope for Grubb is twofold:

1. Iowa is his home state
2. We have the most stable program in the country

With those points in mind, the final point is a stretch, as it would require Kirk and the gang to promise Grubb an HC position once he retires. That is entirely up to Kirk, Beth, and other higher ups behind closed doors though.

Because for Grubb, the next step in his career is a Head Coaching position. One of these days he'll get an offer he can't refuse from a school ready to give him 7-10 million and complete control of their program. He won't be staying in Washington forever due to his success.

What if his home state were to come calling with a guaranteed HC position where he makes double, possibly triple, what he makes now and a place that his job would most certainly be secured no matter what happens? That would be pretty attractive to almost anyone.

However, this is a pretty big stretch.

Reactions: Torg
I’ll caveat my comments by saying that I really don’t think Grubb is going to be the hire….but to play devil’s advocate, he is from Iowa. He played HS football in Iowa, then played at BV, then coaches his Alma mater, then coached in SD. I could see a desire to come back home if the deal was good enough for him or there were some indications that he could be the HC in waiting after KF retires. That’s the path.
I get that. I just don't see the fact that he grew up on a hog farm in Iowa as a compelling reason that he'd want to bail as OC at a national championship level program to be OC at Iowa. Does he even know KF? I can't imagine Iowa paying him more than he's making now. If it were to be HC, I could see that as a remote possibility.

As some have mentioned, two coaches in like 45 years. Mike Tomlin just broke Cowhers playoff appearance number for the Steelers and the studio guys were marveling at 3 coaches in 55 years at Pittsburgh. Cowher listed off all the great things about stability and continuity, etc.

Anyone looking to be the next HC has to love that idea of that stability opportunity.

I get that. I just don't see the fact that he grew up on a hog farm in Iowa as a compelling reason that he'd want to bail as OC at a national championship level program to be OC at Iowa. Does he even know KF? I can't imagine Iowa paying him more than he's making now. If it were to be HC, I could see that as a remote possibility.
As I said, I don’t think it’s likely, but that would be the path. It will be interesting to see how Goetz handles the transition from KF to someone else. I don’t think he’ll get pushed out in any way, but I do wonder if they would look to hire an assistant HC who would have a leg up to be the heir apparent. That could help smooth over recruiting, establish clear direction, etc.

Reactions: CaboKP
As I said, I don’t think it’s likely, but that would be the path. It will be interesting to see how Goetz handles the transition from KF to someone else. I don’t think he’ll get pushed out in any way, but I do wonder if they would look to hire an assistant HC who would have a leg up to be the heir apparent. That could help smooth over recruiting, establish clear direction, etc.
Maybe don't have to telegraph the timing as much these days with the portal the way it is.

As I write this I know it goes against a lot of what KF does, BUT perhaps it is less Barnett and more the zone blocking scheme. With the changes in rules over the past few years, perhaps our line has been bad because they can't zone block well and the rules have really limited what we can do with cut blocking people. This might be why Chryst is one of the finalists for the OC. He ran more big on big blocking at Wisky and maybe KF knows we can't block the same way we did 20 years ago. We did pull more OL than anytime I can remember since Fry. I can see giving Barnett another year in perhaps a different blocking scheme with the new OC. Iowa has been one of the last teams that tried to zone block everything.
92 messages in 12 years. Interesting….

Is the Bobby Engram stuff just complete guesswork? Because if there’s any validity to Engram coming, it would point to Chryst. Engram was Chryst’s WR coach at Pitt, and was hired as Chryst’s OC in Madison the season of Chryst’s firing.
that's exactly what it means

I just don't feel that a new OC is going to move the needle much. KF has a very particular strategy, that is focused on defense, ball control and limiting mistakes. Very cautious, blue collar, play not to lose mantra. This trickles down to recruiting, scheme, in game decisions, etc.

The level of scheme innovation and skill player talent truly needed is a really really long putt. The program needs a fresh, inventive CEO and a true overhaul.
theres nothing wrong with that approach. The problem is the shitty oline and a lineman playing QB. It can be effective with an competent OC.

Reactions: Buffhawk
I’m not sold on Barnett, but I’m not ready to blame the OL struggles all on him yet either, especially given the playcalling and the statues at QB.

I just listened to the replay. He said down to final two w/ Chryst being one. He has also heard that IF Chryst comes then he would bring Engram in as WRs coach. He did not name the second candidate. He then said in regards to the timeline that Kirk may still be wanting to cross off every possibility and could possibly reach out to Grubb or any of the newly available NFL guys. He then said that in regards to any position coach changes that the only one he has heard is the previously mentioned WR but that any others would be addressed once an OC is in place.

The feeling I got was that it is Chrysts job. The other finalist is most likely Philbin although he didn’t mention him at all or imply who the second candidate was. The Grubb mention sounded like a “and kirk will probably take a look around and cross his Ts and dot his Is before making his final decision”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT