ADVERTISEMENT

Dochertman speculation on KXNO

You’re ignorant. Dochterman and Leistikow are two of the most well sourced and respected reporters on the beat. They know much more than the average fan about what’s going on within the program at any given time.
Wrong. They have zero inside info, sources, etc. The entire iowa sports media are amateurs.

Wrong. They have zero inside info, sources, etc. The entire iowa sports media are amateurs.
In the small window of time between when Ty Thompson made plans to visit and then canceled his plans, an Iowa reporter got word of it from a source and reported his plans to visit. So you’re saying you knew about that independently?

Watching Washington's offense tonight... there's no way Grubb fits in with KFz's philosophy. Too fast, too aggressive, too sexy, too much passing. The idea that he's even been suggested as an OC candidate is ridiculous.

The only way it's even remotely imaginable is if he liked the idea of taking over as HC in a couple of years and that's the deal that's made. (which of course...he probably isn't and it probably wouldn't be).
It’s being suggested because Iowa has reached out to him.

I don’t want grub. What the hell will we do

He would immediately change the national perception, tone things down a little initially, until recruiting sufficient offensive playmakers picked up. Hayden had mojo. Iowa desperately needs some mojo. He would also have the inside track to HC if he turned things around.

Last edited:
Reactions: bowlhawk
In the small window of time between when Ty Thompson made plans to visit and then canceled his plans, an Iowa reporter got word of it from a source and reported his plans to visit. So you’re saying you knew about that independently?
It certainly wasn't the reporters that you mention and give you wood. They are not respected but anybody in the iowa inner circle.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
The only reason why there may be a sliver of hope for Grubb is twofold:

1. Iowa is his home state
2. We have the most stable program in the country

With those points in mind, the final point is a stretch, as it would require Kirk and the gang to promise Grubb an HC position once he retires. That is entirely up to Kirk, Beth, and other higher ups behind closed doors though.

Because for Grubb, the next step in his career is a Head Coaching position. One of these days he'll get an offer he can't refuse from a school ready to give him 7-10 million and complete control of their program. He won't be staying in Washington forever due to his success.

What if his home state were to come calling with a guaranteed HC position where he makes double, possibly triple, what he makes now and a place that his job would most certainly be secured no matter what happens? That would be pretty attractive to almost anyone.

However, this is a pretty big stretch.
I highly doubt KF will be a part of the decision for the next HC

Plus he'd have to throw to our WRs.. Ragagaini ..Vines both hands of stone.
I am guessing that walk on Jack Johnson probably would have gotten more playing time than Brown if he had not laid down a bunch of $5 bets thru his Mom (Jill)….😎

KFz would have an aneurysm with an OC like Grubb. Too aggressive, too fast, too much upfield passing. Not a chance...it's laughable that he's even been mentioned.

The ONLY imaginable long shot...would be if he was interested in becoming HC at Iowa and BG cut some deal that put him in line for that as KFz was set to retire in 1-2 years. But...that ain't happenin'.
1. I don’t want a likliter scenario. Who is really running the offense? Does deboar have a big hand in the offense? Maybe it’s grubb maybe it’s him.
2. It’s not like Washington’s offense is lighting the world on fire so far and that’s with great receivers and an experienced qb. What can we do. We still need balanced run oriented offense

1. I don’t want a likliter scenario. Who is really running the offense? Does deboar have a big hand in the offense? Maybe it’s grubb maybe it’s him.
2. It’s not like Washington’s offense is lighting the world on fire so far and that’s with great receivers and an experienced qb. What can we do. We still need balanced run oriented offense
Their playing against the #1 team in the Nation. Have you watched the entire season? Remind me how Iowa did against Michigan?

Reactions: bojihawk44
maybe the process of 3 interviews has not completed or some such…
Also, if they’ve waited this long, it might be worth another week to see who gets purged from the NFL or to talk to Grubb.

Washington is balanced in how they move the ball around. Also they have plenty of success running the ball out of passing sets and mix some power into the running game.

Yeah I don't think people realize just how much of a crater the OL position was left in by Polasek.

Barnett still needs to show more improvement but deserves another year. Copeland isn't surprising considering they've cratered since ISM and Brandon Smith.
Copeland would be a scapegoat. What has our WR recruiting been before him & how exactly do you entice any WR worth a shit to come to this crap (being nice) offense?

Washington is balanced in how they move the ball around. Also they have plenty of success running the ball out of passing sets and mix some power into the running game.
It’s not ball control and Kirk would not like it. We don’t have the receivers. Give me Michigan’s offense any day.
Unbalance overloads extra lineman and a qb that will run. That’s an offense Iowa can run consistently.
How or why Brian couldn’t use an extra lineman or unbalanced formation to our advantage shows how low level he was.

They’re playing against the #1 team in the Nation. Have you watched the entire season? Remind me how Iowa did against Michigan?
Iowa had the worst offense in the past 20 years of college football. You don’t need Washington’s offense to win a game vs Michigan.
Who do you think we can recruit? Good te’s rbs and lineman with 1-2 good receivers or a stable of elite receivers that struggle with Michigan.

The only reason why there may be a sliver of hope for Grubb is twofold:

1. Iowa is his home state
2. We have the most stable program in the country

With those points in mind, the final point is a stretch, as it would require Kirk and the gang to promise Grubb an HC position once he retires. That is entirely up to Kirk, Beth, and other higher ups behind closed doors though.

Because for Grubb, the next step in his career is a Head Coaching position. One of these days he'll get an offer he can't refuse from a school ready to give him 7-10 million and complete control of their program. He won't be staying in Washington forever due to his success.

What if his home state were to come calling with a guaranteed HC position where he makes double, possibly triple, what he makes now and a place that his job would most certainly be secured no matter what happens? That would be pretty attractive to almost anyone.

However, this is a pretty big stretch.
No chance

It’s not ball control and Kirk would not like it. We don’t have the receivers. Give me Michigan’s offense any day.
Unbalance overloads extra lineman and a qb that will run. That’s an offense Iowa can run consistently.
How or why Brian couldn’t use an extra lineman or unbalanced formation to our advantage shows how low level he was.

Hope Chryst could do better than 50 yards rushing and 13 points against Michigan 😉

Reactions: pistachio1999
keep an eye out for Nick Shannon. OC/ Asst head coach for Kansas City State. His dad Andy Shula coached OL in the league and his grandpa Scott Marchibroda is a HOF FCS coach.

Copeland would be a scapegoat. What has our WR recruiting been before him & how exactly do you entice any WR worth a shit to come to this crap (being nice) offense?
Both ISM and Brandon Smith committed before he was hired.

We've seen pretty much everyone else regress or leave under his watch. Even with poor scheme, he's not doing his job.

Just remember that the cat majority of the KOK and GD offenses were far superior to the last 3 years, even with similar overall philosophies.
I agree, though that is not saying much as the past 3 years were "burn the ships" bad. I would counter with the fact that the game has evolved and we have regressed. We are Blockbuster Video while most everyone else is streaming. I would also say that Iowa fans have rationalized to where we would be happy with a 80th-90th ranked offense (or in that ballpark). We have to expect more.

I agree, though that is not saying much as the past 3 years were "burn the ships" bad. I would counter with the fact that the game has evolved and we have regressed. We are Blockbuster Video while most everyone else is streaming. I would also say that Iowa fans have rationalized to where we would be happy with a 80th-90th ranked offense (or in that ballpark). We have to expect more.
100%. After where this offense has been the past few years, being 80-90 probably sounds pretty good to some people, but got to keep in mind that's still bottom third or so nationally. Yuck.

I agree. Probably should strive to be better than that.

"Sick of having to carry the defense, Grubb makes the move to Iowa City where the defense is just as good as his offense"

27d.jpg

There’s a limit to the jump Iowa is going to make under KF at this point in his career, but you might be surprised at what it would do to jump up to 70th. Michigan’s offense was 70th nationally in yards per play and yards per game, so you can play a really good Game there if your D is elite. Iowa State was 70th nationally in scoring offense at 26.2 PPG and Iowa was 129th at 15.4.

If Iowa had a 70th level offense (still below average in FBS), the record likely would have only been 1-2 games better, but the narrative would have been completely different. Iowa would likely have competed against PSU and Michigan and maybe they steal one or the other. They’d have definitely beaten Minnesota….but the bulk of the rest of the games would have been significantly larger wins and Iowa would have been no kind of punch line (and BF probably stays at that point).

How many threads do we need when an Iowa reporter makes a comment? They have zero info, zero sources, have wiffed on "speculation" for the last 20 years. The Iowa media is just another fan expressing their thoughts. Ever sine the weight lifting issue and diversity issue nobody gives any scoop to that media room. They are trained and give them credit, nothing usually leaks.
Probably not as many as the always insightful Fire Brian posts over the past 5 years. Same people, same valid complaints, but hundreds of new posts. I just pass on them if I'm not interested in possible new info.

There’s a limit to the jump Iowa is going to make under KF at this point in his career, but you might be surprised at what it would do to jump up to 70th. Michigan’s offense was 70th nationally in yards per play and yards per game, so you can play a really good Game there if your D is elite. Iowa State was 70th nationally in scoring offense at 26.2 PPG and Iowa was 129th at 15.4.

If Iowa had a 70th level offense (still below average in FBS), the record likely would have only been 1-2 games better, but the narrative would have been completely different. Iowa would likely have competed against PSU and Michigan and maybe they steal one or the other. They’d have definitely beaten Minnesota….but the bulk of the rest of the games would have been significantly larger wins and Iowa would have been no kind of punch line (and BF probably stays at that point).
Good point on the changing narrative. That’s something to keep in mind, with the criteria for making the playoff still highly subjective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT