ADVERTISEMENT

Downey headed to HWC and IOWA 2nd Semester

edquinn06

HR All-American
Sep 25, 2014
IA-IL-WI
Heard a different POV on this recently...A lot of us are worried about him being the turd in the punchbowl...bringing the team down. Legit concerns in my eyes. But what if the team actually pulls him up? I dunno...I'm with the state of Missouri on this one--Show me.

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/Po...&twSessionId=yzauimbeuogybaw&postId=593581009

Looks to have his eye on 184. Makes me wonder if Wilcke and Holloway stay up a weight this season. Line up 1st semester:
25 Stickley
33 Laux
41 Turk
49 BS
57 Kem
65 Bull
74 Young
84 Bowman
97 Wilcke
285 Holloway

2nd Semester:

25 Stickley
33 Laux
41 Turk
49 BS
57 Kem
65 Bull
74 Young
84 PDIII
97 Wilcke
285 Stoll
So out of this 2nd semester lineup besides 49,57 what could be our high expectations for this year. I might be an optimist but I have a good feeling about this lineup.

So out of this 2nd semester lineup besides 49,57 what could be our high expectations for this year. I might be an optimist but I have a good feeling about this lineup.
I really wanna see what Turk can do. This week CP said he believes he is an AA threat. He just saw him rolling in IC so that is very encouraging. Having a healthy Stoll at NCAA is something I think everyone is hoping for. I feel he could place as high as 3rd. Of course I can't wait to see where Bull fits in a loaded 165 and if Young has filled in and can compete with the top 10 at 74.

He is saying some of the right things, but this seems like a really bad idea to me.:eek: I hope the reins are really tight or he could negate the positive momentum from Nationals last year. I suppose the most likely thing is he never makes it on the mat though.

Still has to graduate from ISU to qualify. Ultimately, I think this is a move to get him into the HWC, I'm dubious whether he sees time in the Black and Gold.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Heard a different POV on this recently...A lot of us are worried about him being the turd in the punchbowl...bringing the team down. Legit concerns in my eyes. But what if the team actually pulls him up? I dunno...I'm with the state of Missouri on this one--Show me.
I'm with you, Downey has to walk the walk now after talking the talk. I'll predict he won't, but it's up to him to earn it now. He's being given a great opportunity.

Also, I think Iowa may be better with him at 197. I think wilke could be a low AA at either weight, and Downey can AA at either weight, but his ceiling is lower at 184. Don't see him making the finals. He'd need to beat guys like Zahid, Bo, and MyMar. At 197 he'd only need to beat Haught and McCutcheon.

Also, I think Iowa may be better with him at 197. I think wilke could be a low AA at either weight, and Downey can AA at either weight, but his ceiling is lower at 184. Don't see him making the finals. He'd need to beat guys like Zahid, Bo, and MyMar. At 197 he'd only need to beat Haught and McCutcheon.

Weigel, Miklus, Beazley and don't forget about probably the best guy of all...Moore.

Is
Cutch even wrestling this year? 97 will also have Miklus and Moore. Zahid and Bo are probably my finals picks for 84. If Downey goes 97 I could see him in the finals and losing to Moore.

In order: 65, 74, 41. I'm not particularly excited about this team, but more so with Downey, frankly. At least I'm not going to stress if the video feed doesn't kick in until 41.

I dont think physically 197 is the right fit for him and he doesn't want to battle guys that big. He's more naturally a 184 and he'll be really strong for that weight class. I hope it works out, he's a talent that's fun to watch.

Haught and Cutch are? Downey pinned Haught twice and the guys I cited (except for Miklus) all finished ahead of Cutch last year at 197 who DNP'd. Moore also pinned Haught.
No, no one at 197 (except Moore) is on the level of the guys I mentioned at 184. That is my whole point why I think Downey has a higher ceiling at 197. Sure there are some good guys, but not elite studs like 184.

No, no one at 197 (except Moore) is on the level of the guys I mentioned at 184. That is my whole point why I think Downey has a higher ceiling at 197. Sure there are some good guys, but not elite studs like 184.

He'd need to beat guys like Zahid, Bo, and MyMar. At 197 he'd only need to beat Haught and McCutcheon.

You put them on the same level w/o citing Moore. Don't try tapdancing your way out.

From the article:

“I can’t be out in the bars and the avenues and being around the college party scene,” he said. “I can’t be doing that kind of lifestyle, it’s just not what’s needed to be an NCAA champion. That’s not how I can represent the school. And other things, like being punctual, being on time for practices and being a good teammate and not getting any preferential treatment because you’re a blue-chip recruit or you’re expected to contend for the title, which are all things that are easy for me to comply with because that’s what I expect to do and that’s how I’m going to treat this last year.”

Soooo, not doing the things every coach has ever told you, ever. The things you been incapable of doing since at least 17 years of age. All without the benefit of at least a trace of regret or remorse or purposeful action regarding those actions. Just, "Yeah, the coaches told me I can't do it, so I'm not."

- Because that's worked out for anyone, ever. :rolleyes:

You put them on the same level w/o citing Moore. Don't try tapdancing your way out.
Because I was talking about keeping him out of the finals. I'm considering Moore the 1 seed and Downey the 2, so it's someone else that will keep him from the finals.

Reactions: FD_HWC
Welcome aboard! It's going to be a fun ride. Now it's up to Pat to deliver (in the classroom, on the mat) ... I've said it before, but I'm glad social media didn't exist when I was in college ... Yikes ... Go Hawks!

Because I was talking about keeping him out of the finals. I'm considering Moore the 1 seed and Downey the 2, so it's someone else that will keep him from the finals.
Not sure Downey would get the number two seed only wrestling half the year, but will see.

Good thing iowa isn't known for being party school. I will wait tell January to be excited for pat

The way I look at it, is that if he gets his act together and performs well in life and the classroom and AAs as a Hawkeye, Brands looks like a fantastic coach, it's a great story and turns out great for future recruiting. If he does what everyone predicts and f*cks up either in school or in his personal life, then he's at Iowa for only a couple of months, then out of the program and we move on, nothing lost.

Minimal downside with big upside. He's not going to become a cancer or destroy the culture of our program in 3 months, and Tom and Terry would never let it get to that point to begin with.

The way I look at it, is that if he gets his act together and performs well in life and the classroom and AAs as a Hawkeye, Brands looks like a fantastic coach, it's a great story and turns out great for future recruiting. If he does what everyone predicts and f*cks up either in school or in his personal life, then he's at Iowa for only a couple of months, then out of the program and we move on, nothing lost.

Minimal downside with big upside. He's not going to become a cancer or destroy the culture of our program in 3 months, and Tom and Terry would never let it get to that point to begin with.
And only here for a semester at most (maybe) so shouldn't affect recruits either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT