ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season/Portal/transfers

bammhawk1

HR Heisman
May 16, 2009
Listening to Ironside he said, and not sure why and unless I heard him wrong, he hopes Ayala is back next hear. Did anyone else hear that? Also mentioned Sloan from SDSU is using his covid year and Hawks will need a 97 next season. I also think they will need 2-3 more high end transfers to keep up with PSU.
25: Ayala
33: Teske
41: Woods
49: Chittum???
57: Siebrecht/Chittum???
65: Kennedy
74: Brands/Arnold
84: Assad/Arnold
97: Sloan……1 can wish/hope
HWT: Cass

Where does Riggins fall in this and other guys? What other weights could we see transfers at besides 197?

Listening to Ironside he said, and not sure why and unless I heard him wrong, he hopes Ayala is back next hear. Did anyone else hear that? Also mentioned Sloan from SDSU is using his covid year and Hawks will need a 97 next season. I also think they will need 2-3 more high end transfers to keep up with PSU.

Where does Riggins fall in this and other guys? What other weights could we see transfers at besides 197?

I wouldn't count on any returning finalists to transfer.

Isn’t Franklin a pretty solid young guy coming in at 197 for us? Or am I missing something (redshirt)?

• Haha
Reactions: HIWILLE
th

60790f5c498a8.image.jpg

FjqKr25XoAAqOLV

This disinformation from Ironside is starting to irk me! Seriously, I hope there is no fallout from Soldier Salute-gate. Ramos will be back but can he cut to 25 again? Otherwise it would seem that 125 might clear our quite a bit with another round of covid seniors leaving. We need Ayala to finish in the top 3 to keep pace with PSU.

Sloan would be interesting although he may have caught lightning in a bottle this year. But that is an impressive finish in a tough weight class. If we're looking at Smith from MD he's a RS Frosh and his arrow seems to be pointing up. He had a couple of nice wins and lost close matches to Elam and Dean. He could man the 97 spot for us for 3 years.

I would love for us to look at other options at 33 and 84 but that's not the Brands style.

Riggins? Maybe 84 after Abe is gone. He has a full year to hit the weights and a nice frame so it's possible. Otherwise he has no spot in the lineup ever.

This disinformation from Ironside is starting to irk me! Seriously, I hope there is no fallout from Soldier Salute-gate. Ramos will be back but can he cut to 25 again? Otherwise it would seem that 125 might clear our quite a bit with another round of covid seniors leaving. We need Ayala to finish in the top 3 to keep pace with PSU.

Sloan would be interesting although he may have caught lightning in a bottle this year. But that is an impressive finish in a tough weight class. If we're looking at Smith from MD he's a RS Frosh and his arrow seems to be pointing up. He had a couple of nice wins and lost close matches to Elam and Dean. He could man the 97 spot for us for 3 years.

I would love for us to look at other options at 33 and 84 but that's not the Brands style.

Riggins? Maybe 84 after Abe is gone. He has a full year to hit the weights and a nice frame so it's possible. Otherwise he has no spot in the lineup ever.
Like I said, I may have heard him wrong. Just trying to get confirmation. Ironside didnt say anything bad, he was just talking about next seasons lineup

Reactions: savage84

Ayala should be in the mix to place high. Woods is obviously a contender. I like Brands at 174. We need Chittum to be the real deal. I prefer him at 157 and Rathjen at 149. Kennedy needs to move up a level. We can't afford to keep status quo unchallenged at 133, 184 and 197. Sloan would certainly be better than what we have in house. Riggins fits on the bench more than likely. The weight opposite Chittum shouldn't be safe from additional personnel either.

Time to put some fast twitch athletes out there that will beat whoever PSU throws out full stop. Plus they're fricken made of iron, injury-proof. You can say a lot of things, but one thing that cannot be questioned is the insane work ethic and will to win the family possesses. Maybe the rest of the team can lift with them and bulletproof the joints. A team of 600lb deadlifting ironmen next year, could be the best thing to ever happen to us. Jeez try to have a little optimism instead of pessimism! I'm half joking, but it's clear that they're taking lifting to improve strength/explosiveness/overall performance very seriously.

Last edited:
I believe Brands would need to clear space on his staff for Cody Caldwell if you hope to get Sloan as a transfer.

The limited chances we had to see Franklin, but he looks a bit slow and plodding. I am certainly not writing him off and I only base that on my eyes.

Riggins has the frame to be 184, just not yet next year. Iowa needs lots of help there.

Reactions: xjohnx
They really are some turds, but the brothers can wrestle.

125-Ayala
133-Teske
141-Woods
149-Chittum
157-Anthony Ferrari
165-Kennedy
174-Brands
184-Arnold
197-AJ Ferrari
Hwt-Cass
Arnold is a great wrestler, but I think he’d have a tough time as a true freshman at 184. 174 would be a different story, but if the plan for him is 184 I think he should redshirt.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
They really are some turds, but the brothers can wrestle.

125-Ayala
133-Teske
141-Woods
149-Chittum
157-Anthony Ferrari
165-Kennedy
174-Brands
184-Arnold
197-AJ Ferrari
Hwt-Cass
Ignoring Ferrari additions.

What if Brands and Kennedy moved up to make way for Riggins at 157 and give Arnold a year in the room. Then we could look like this...
Is Teske the best 133 in the room? If so, that should be our transfer focus.

125-Ayala
133-Teske
141-Woods
149-Chittum
157-Siebrecht
165-Riggins
174-Kennedy
184-Brands
197-Franklin
Hwt-Cass

Keep up?

Ignoring Ferrari additions.

What if Brands and Kennedy moved up to make way for Riggins at 157 and give Arnold a year in the room. Then we could look like this...
Is Teske the best 133 in the room? If so, that should be our transfer focus.

125-Ayala
133-Teske
141-Woods
149-Chittum
157-Siebrecht
165-Riggins
174-Kennedy
184-Brands
197-Franklin
Hwt-Cass
Brands would struggle to AA at 184, he is not a legit 184 pounder. Riggins is not going to AA at 165. Kennedy would seem pretty small at 174. I don't see where this gains us anything.

One name that keeps coming to mind is Poznanski for rutgers. True freshman AA. struggled as a sophomore. redshirted this year while true freshman soldano had a nice year for them.

Reactions: SDHN2013 and xjohnx
Getting upper weight transfers without a asst coaching change doesn't seem possible to me.

Now, 133...
The fact we didn't have a blue chip 133 lined up to take over for Austin is an epic fail. It's supposed to be 1 of our 2 feature weights. The Jesuroga situation isn't even an excuse as he would not have been here this year and would need a redshirt next year.

Brands would struggle to AA at 184, he is not a legit 184 pounder. Riggins is not going to AA at 165. Kennedy would seem pretty small at 174. I don't see where this gains us anything.
Noted. Could Riggins get 157, is he better than Siebrecht? Chittum 149.

I actually enjoy how frank and honest Ironside can be. It’s better than hearing on the radio that an Iowa quarterback just barely sailed another pass over the receiver’s head or Iowa played great defense on the basketball court, but somehow the other team just seemed to have another record shooting night.

Riggins parents are both stocky and mom is tall for a woman, so he should be able go up a few weight classes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT