ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season/Portal/transfers

and why is it that we can’t recruit…especially now that we can compensate recruits as well? I know that even asking this question makes me a troll and an idiot as I am being referenced…….easy thing when it’s the only response I guess.

Part of why PSU is so much better at recruiting is $$$. Another reason perfect geography, another is Carl, another is their track record of success the past few years. 2 overlooked ones are PSU targets much better athletes than Iowa and that's on TNT, stop recruiting slow footed hand fighting grinders. Also I don't think TNT have a burning passion when it comes to the effort, evaluation and schmoozing it takes to be a successful recruiter, that's on them too. Convenient recruiting is often settling. They better get a burning passion and learn how to enjoy schmoozing recruits if they want to win again.

familybusiness.gif

At what point is it appropriate to see some champs? Morningstar has been on staff since 2012. St John is the only champ around his weight in that time. That was 2012-2013. Marinelli, Kemdawg, and Warner were all top recruits. Training, recruiting, technique, and philosophy comes down from Tom’s vision, so it’s obviously not all on M*, but shouldn’t any coach be on the hot seat at U of Iowa if they’ve essentially produced next to zero champs at their general weight of expertise?
I think the measure of a head coach is primarily team placement at Nationals. We all want to see individual champs, but if we’re winning Nationals most or at least quite a few years, that’s excellent.

Based on recruiting news today, we have a decent chance to be crowning a good number of individual and team champions soon. We’ll see, but this is the kind of stuff that needs to happen, plus bolstering the HWC. With the right level of talent in the room, our current staff can do just fine. Recall that we did have the best team in the back-to-back seasons just a couple of years ago, with exactly the same staff.

IMO, the “problem” is 100% recruiting. I don’t think coaching philosophy is any more than a blip. It’s all about landing top 10 P4P recruits. That’s by far the difference between PSU and everyone else. With exactly the same staff and better recruiting, we’ll do very well.
Not trying to be a Richard, but is it possible getting top recruits is because of results from the team, especially the upper weights?

Are YOU content with the entire current staff?

Is it a requirement to comment here you have to be a little stupid? Asking for a friend.

The current coaching staff just recently won 2 in a row(covid year included). We also SCORED MORE BONUS then F*** st many times including this years B1Gs when they had a better team!!!!

ADD to this ALL the top recruits they have had and they still do a whole lot of nothing/stalling/riding the ankle/playing the out of bounds etc......

So IF you are an IOWA fan???? STOP the BS!!!!

The Brands brothers are great for the program and were necessary in a post Gable world. Zalesky was a great guy and coach but couldn't win the recruiting wars. Just like Gable had the upper hand because of winning and Olympic success, so does Cael right now. The Brands were/are the best hires to keep us even close to Cael....like all the others that were chasing Gable's teams. But you will soon see some tide shifts with new names starting coaching careers...Snyder, Dake, Ed Ruth, Burroughs, Cox, Taylor etc. Some program will land one of them soon and the recruiting world will change. That's my worry for Iowa. OSU and Missouri have openings....

I don't see Snyder Dake, Burroughs or Taylor taking a head coaching job this Olympic cycle. Not sure about Cox and I think Edward Ruth is at Illinois for next few years at least coaching Edmund Ruth unless someone pays him well.

I don't see Snyder Dake, Burroughs or Taylor taking a head coaching job this Olympic cycle. Not sure about Cox and I think Edward Ruth is at Illinois for next few years at least coaching Edmund Ruth unless someone pays him well.
I would vote for Cox. Bring him on as an for the next couple years with the head job his at that point.
And that's the least of your problems.
And that's the least of your problems.
you are right you are the very least of my problems….lol

this is so useful! I can't wait until the covid year is no longer affecting eligibility.
The extra Covid year has effed stuff up for two years now.
These high schoolers that graduated in 2021 and 2022 having really gotten screwed as college coaches tried to construct lineups.

Reactions: hlstone
Cox is Gabe Arnold's cousin. What a better time to start your coaching career than coaching your younger cousin to NCAA titles?
Bringing in Cox right now would be a HR!!! Obviously an upper weight stud, with his cousin on the team as you say and the very good possibility of AJ coming, and having 1 more year for BIG Cass. I can think of no one better to have in the room to work with these guys.

Instantly moves our heavy weight practice squad up several levels.

Anyone know if this is actually being seriously discussed, as far as Cox coming? It gets mentioned here and I know he was popped into the room on occasion, but is the Iowa staff/hwc serious about this?. Does Cox have any real interest in is? Or is this more just wishful thinking?

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Or Askren would be great for recruiting and coaching...

Reactions: ILHawksFan
The extra Covid year has effed stuff up for two years now.
These high schoolers that graduated in 2021 and 2022 having really gotten screwed as college coaches tried to construct lineups.
In far more important areas than wrestling. Young school kids robbed of a year of education. Businesses bankrupted. Economy tanked, Iowa screwed out of a National title. All because some Chinese egg heads wanted to play mad scientists.

The Brands brothers are great for the program and were necessary in a post Gable world. Zalesky was a great guy and coach but couldn't win the recruiting wars. Just like Gable had the upper hand because of winning and Olympic success, so does Cael right now. The Brands were/are the best hires to keep us even close to Cael....like all the others that were chasing Gable's teams. But you will soon see some tide shifts with new names starting coaching careers...Snyder, Dake, Ed Ruth, Burroughs, Cox, Taylor etc. Some program will land one of them soon and the recruiting world will change. That's my worry for Iowa. OSU and Missouri have openings....
Ed went to Illinois

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT