ADVERTISEMENT

Dreshaun Ross

Pouring Austin Powers GIF

It's an NCAA rule that if you play two sports and one is football you have to be on a football scholarship. Brody Brecht will probably be a first round MLB pick eventually but he's still only a walk on for Iowa baseball because he's on the football team too. It prevents football teams from taking advantage by loading up say a track team with more top football players and draining their limited scholarships in track and field. Same with Connor McCaffery being on bball scholarship and still playing baseball for a couple years (although he did walk on as both initially to save on bball scholarships too).
Not quite true, but practically true. Iif you get a scholly for any sport and play football, you count against football’s 85 limit.

Because we don't use performance enhancers, like Kerkroid for example......... ;)
Awww come on now, you didn't have to go there, did you?

If so, I'll take Toni the once Pillsbury dough boy Cassioppi's' single offseason before and after pictures into evidence, before Kerk's, any day.

My take is none of the kids in the top programs are doing any of that stuff. Call me naive, that's ok

Last edited:
Although I don't like how he handled Beard, Beard was still an AA for PSU his 1st season and most likely would have been a 4x AA, if not for Dean's transfer. Still, the list absolutely shows Carl is far from infallible. His record for NCAA Champs is undeniably outstanding. However, he can afford to have some swings and misses when he lands so many top recruits.

Conversely, Iowa has ZERO room for a swing and miss. To stay with PSU, EVERY top 10 p4p has to basically AA top 5 all 4 years. Iowa simply doesn't have the margin for error that PSU has due to incomparable recruiting...
I agree with your premise, however Beard was the 15 seed and Schultz got upset in the 1st round as the #2. Otherwise with a loss to Schultz He would have had to get through our adopted son Cam Caffey, then Warner without a loss to AA, which I don't think he could have done (Caffey just beat him like 12-6 or something at B10s).

Last edited:
Awww come on now, you didn't have to go there, did you?

If so, I'll take Toni the once Pillsbury dough boy Cassioppi's' single offseason before and after pictures into evidence, before Kerk's, any day.

My take is none of the kids in the top programs are doing any of that stuff. Call me naive, that's ok

You're incredibly naive.

Also best to not speak in absolutes. There's a kid at okie state who's recently been caught taking stuff and his coach recommended the PED. Unless you're not considering okie state a top program.

There is effectively no drug testing at the NCAA level.

I don't make accusations against individual wrestlers without evidence and facts, but I have very little doubt that there are many NCAA wrestlers who take PEDs.

If you do both sports, you will never reach your full potential in either. I would hope they would wrestle because I am a wrestling fan but understand where the money is.
Yup. BBrecht ia the latest iteration of that truth.

I hadn't thought about that aspect of it. If a guy is good enough for a full football scholarship, it makes sense that football would pick up the tab. Not sure what, if any, rules exist for dual sport athletes. If so, that could be a huge advantage for the wrestling program to essentially get someone like Kueter for free and open up scholarship money for another top recruit. Silver lining of sorts.
I believe Fb has to pick up the tab for any male dual sport. athlete. It stems from football having guys run track on track’s tab and also playing football. That’s what I recall anyway. It’s been a few years

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
A truly cherry picked narrative here, big guy! They may not all be champs but they ALL produced at a high level.

Chronologically:

Stoll #10 p4p(battled a ton of injuries, including getting shot by a handgun in the knee): was 20-2 and injured his knee at the All Star Classic as a FRESHMAN and had to forfeit out of NCAA's, was ranked 5th as a SOPHOMORE before blowing out knee yet again and missing the rest of the year, took 5th as a JUNIOR winning the Gorriarian(most pins in the least amount of time at NCAA's), got shot in the knee his Senior year and still made R12.

Kemerer #9 p4p(also dealt with a bunch of injuries, but still was a 4x AA)= 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th

Marinelli #3 p4p= 6th,7th,R12,5th 3xAA that almost certainly would have been 4 if not for rib injury forcing him to not wrestle his R12 match. Also, wrestled in probably the deepest 4 year weight class I can remember.

Spencer Lee #2 p4p= 1st,1st,1st,? Nothing more needs to be said here.

Warner #7 p4p= 7th,4th,2nd,? 3x AA and Finalist.

Kennedy #3 p4p= Currently ranked 7th at 165 and just beat your own #2 p4p Facundo...

Ayala #5 p4p= Went 2-2 as a TRUE FRESHMAN, wrestling with a shoulder brace....redshirting this year.

So, they are basically batting 1000 with getting EVERY top 10 recruit on the podium. Conversely, how many of the top 10 p4p's at PSU don't even make the podium? Yes they have a lot that win it all, but they also recruit WAYYYYY more than Iowa. Again, how many of those don't even make the podium? To help you out, Kemerer, A. Alton, Manville and Berge did not. D. Alton and Gulibon managed to squeeze one out each. Oh, and it looks like #10 recruit Seth Nevills may also not AA, but I won't hold that against him since it isn't his fault he was recruited over to get Kerkvliet......
2020 also robbed the best versions of Marinelli and Kemerer shots at titles.

I hadn't thought about that aspect of it. If a guy is good enough for a full football scholarship, it makes sense that football would pick up the tab. Not sure what, if any, rules exist for dual sport athletes. If so, that could be a huge advantage for the wrestling program to essentially get someone like Kueter for free and open up scholarship money for another top recruit. Silver lining of sorts.
I believe Fb has to pick up the tab for any male dual sport. athlete. It stems from football having guys run track on track’s tab and also playing football. That’s what I recall anyway. It’s been a few years
For dual sport athletes, "Anyone who participates in football is counted in that sport, even if he does not receive financial aid from the football program."

It’d be pretty cool if posts stayed on topic rather than having PST fans constantly ruining them. Stay on topic, start your own thread, or go to your own board. They shouldn’t even be in the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkFan1986
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT