ADVERTISEMENT

Early Camp Rumblings

Pretty sure we saw fairly recent interview with Kirk stating Cade was the clear # 1. Said never even discussed with Cade when they decided to bring Sullivan in. Cade will be #1.
If Cade is still getting most of the first-team reps, as Cory states in his video, then Cade is still the clear #1.

If someone can report that Sullivan is starting to get a fair share of reps with the first team, then I might be able to believe we have a competition.

tends to happen when you have a qb with zero touch. I wasn't sold on Copeland either, hopefully Budmayr/Lester can turn it around.
I remember seeing a whole lot of TD’s of him running with the ball in his high school highlights so wonder if he’s still learning to play the position. He’s a smooth runner we always need a jetsweeper ! Happy to hear Wetjen and Gill are turning heads we need that.

Like watching a slow moving train wreck you can see coming from a mile away.
austin-powers-steamroller.gif

Yes, he got torched by the fastest player in the B1G as a true freshman two years ago when he came in for an injured DeJean.

Hall was injured most of last year.
I hate giving credit to Nebraska for anything but it was a smart call to pick on him right away. Plus, Parker has shown that he isn’t going to modify his defense to cover for a substitute. You go in, you’re responsible for your position. Do your damn job. As one example, recall the Purdue game a few years before when I think he cycled through 3 CBs, all of whom kept getting beat on the same pass pattern. Parker didn't alter his coverages at all, as best I could tell.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I hate giving credit to Nebraska for anything but it was a smart call to pick on him right away. Plus, Parker has shown that he isn’t going to modify his defense to cover for a substitute. You go in, you’re responsible for your position. Do your damn job. As one example, recall the Purdue game a few years before when I think he cycled through 3 CBs, all of whom kept getting beat on the same pass pattern. Parker didn't alter his coverages at all, as best I could tell.
Yep.

Eventually he moved Josh Jackson? over to that side, but the damage had been done.

Of course, it didn’t help that our offense erupted for about 7 points that day.

Those folks running sites that are trying to insinuate that Cade's starting job is in any sort of jeopardy are just trying to get clicks. There's just no way, barring injury, that Cade is not going to be the starter.
Why? Play the guy that offers the most to the offense.

Need mobility in a big big way and if Cade lacks it due to hesitancy as a result of all his injuries, go with the #2.

Already mentioned, but that was his true freshman year, and first major game action with the 1s. Nebby immediately realized they were facing a newbie and picked on him.

Two years later, I’m confident he’s a better player.
He’s likely a better player but to start talking about him potentially being an All-American is ludacris.

are we talking about the same guy that ne torched a couple years ago? has he even played since? i thought lee and more recently nestor were the guys in play
He was a true freshman at the time going up against nebbys best receiver. Hall has a lot of talent and will be good one. Phil waited too long that day having Riley Moss line up against Palmer no matter what side of the field he was on. Once he did that, Palmer was no longer a problem.

He was a true freshman at the time going up against nebbys best receiver. Hall has a lot of talent and will be good one. Phil waited too long that day having Riley Moss line up against Palmer no matter what side of the field he was on. Once he did that, Palmer was no longer a problem.
Well the clock is ticking loudly now. Nestor already passed him up and Deshaun Lee obviously had as well.

He’s likely a better player but to start talking about him potentially being an All-American is ludacris.
Okay, okay…how about preseason b10 defensive back of the year?🤪
Well the clock is ticking loudly now. Nestor already passed him up and Deshaun Lee obviously had as well.
Important to remember that hall was injured most of last year tho, opening the door for those two. If nothing else, I feel good about our depth at the CB position in particular.

are we talking about the same guy that ne torched a couple years ago? has he even played since? i thought lee and more recently nestor were the guys in play
You mean as a True freshman thrown in to the middle of a game. Yea, thats him. So do you think under PP's tutelage that maybe he's a bit more ready now a year and a half later?

I hope its close enough that Sullivan plays some significant snaps in the first game or two. He needs to be ready. That much we know already...
I wouldn't mind seeing some 50 spots hung on Illinois State and Troy to get all of the 2 deeps some much needed action. I don't know how much improvement Marco has made, but damn his scramble ability is something else.

I wouldn't mind seeing some 50 spots hung on Illinois State and Troy to get all of the 2 deeps some much needed action. I don't know how much improvement Marco has made, but damn his scramble ability is something else.
With zero inside information I kinda feel like ML needs to impress the new OC quite a bit or he might be looking for something new next year. Hopefully he becomes a stud and sticks around.

Remember Riley moss as a frosh vs Purdue. Sometimes players improve 2 seasons later
I don't think most people understand that playing the corner position is the toughest position to master after QB. You very seldom see underclassmen excel at that position regardless of physical abilities because of the difficulties in learning how to play it at a high level.

I was hoping Marco would be improved enough to be fighting for #2. He really didn't have much of a chance last year so we don't know much about him - except he showed really good wheels in the bowl game.

Reactions: kkhawk and desihawk
Ahhh to go back to the days of 2002.. wouldn’t that be nice.

I think Kirk wants to be so nice to everyone (Exception PJ Fleck) he’d make it known his foot is no longer on the gas pedal if a 50 spot was in reach. Can’t be doing that.

Pretty sure we saw fairly recent interview with Kirk stating Cade was the clear # 1. Said never even discussed with Cade when they decided to bring Sullivan in. Cade will be #1.

Ferentz and McNamara sound plenty confident that the job will remain his as well, as Ferentz didn't mention to Iowa's incumbent the plans to add the former Northwestern starter when the portal was open.

"I didn't even have a conversation with Cade," he said at Big Ten Media Days just over a week ago. "I shouldn't assume things, but I am -- I don't think Cade is worried. I don't think he's looking in the rearview mirror, I think he's looking straight ahead."

"We got down to like two quarterbacks in our QB room, so they had to add someone eventually," McNamara laughed. "At some point, there has to be depth. Even in the NFL they have more than two guys. Anywhere we need depth, and any level of competition is good."

The solidified belief in McNamara as the starter over Sullivan and redshirt-freshman Marco Laine fall on his experience as a winner.

"Cade's got an impressive resume, he's done it," Ferentz said. "He has directed his team to wins, which is what the quarterback is supposed to do."
Well, KF has stated with previous QBs that there’s a clear front runner but what we saw on Saturdays didn’t convince many that he really had a no.1 dressed on Saturdays.

What Cade “did” with a monumentally better O-line at Michigan and WRs that had a history of catching passes says he’s had success in the past. Will the O-line take that next step towards what we came to believe was the norm at IOWA or will we see a repeat of the last 4 years and watch Cade run for his life?

Hope he’s 100% and shows signs of his UM days. If not I’m glad a mobile Sully is on board.

I don't think most people understand that playing the corner position is the toughest position to master after QB. You very seldom see underclassmen excel at that position regardless of physical abilities because of the difficulties in learning how to play it at a high level.
One misstake as a DB and the world sees a TD. Other positions, not so much. He was the first man in for Phil as a true Frosh. He’s going to impress

Seems like anytime there is ANY skepticism or concern about the starting QB that people always overestimate the backups ability and just assume that Kirk and the staff are idiots - as if they've never seen the backups play against competition before.

While there are rare cases where a QB plays better in real games than practice, it doesn't happen that often. As we saw with Padilla he wasn't any better than Petras (not much worse, but not any better). And Lainez might look ok coming off the bench late in the game with his feet, if you actually start him for a series of games in the season teams would easily scout him and turn him into just as much of a trainwreck as the starter was last year.

The other assumption people make about our staff is that they are too "loyal" or stick with veterans too much. While there is some truth to this probably, I think people underestimate the importance of maintaining chemistry and player satisfaction especially in the world of transfers.

In the case of the current QB role, I think it would have been fair to tell Cade that he would remain the starter as long as healthy, and that they would bring in a strong backup in the event of injury. They would also tell this to the NW transfer as they are usually very open and honest with players in this regard.

Now maybe fans would get mad at this, but fans don't have to manage 100+ young adult males in the day of NIL, free transfers and social media. I think it's appropriate to commit to Cade even if Sullivan is 5% better in practice .... because we committed to it. Without that commitment up front to BOTH players, taking a transfer in to compete with Cade who, at best, might be 5% better due to mobility, is a recipe for problems. We also don't know what was said to Cade prior to considering Sullivan, so a staff has to keep their word to players and this staff is one of the highest character staffs in that regard imo.

So, yes, maybe they do commit to Cade and then fans get mad if Sullivan looks good in an open practice but isn't getting many reps with the ones. Deal with it - most of us are thinking of this in one dimensional ways but program management and roster management bring a lot more complexity to the table then just thinking about a depth chart.

I trust our staff - they do make roster mistakes, but much of what we perceive to be "mistakes" might be situations where we would change our mind if we knew 100% of the information.

Not very happy about this but I am hearing from my source that Cade limps around a lot at practice and is not very mobile. Hearing good things about the backup and that he has competed well and has good legs. I am hearing the offense just looks bad and the O-line does not look improved. Not hearing many details about what looks bad or anything outside of the OL looking very disappointing at this point and time. This again goes with saying that the defense looks great so maybe that is the problem.

Not very happy about this but I am hearing from my source that Cade limps around a lot at practice and is not very mobile. Hearing good things about the backup and that he has competed well and has good legs. I am hearing the offense just looks bad and the O-line does not look improved. Not hearing many details about what looks bad or anything outside of the OL looking very disappointing at this point and time. This again goes with saying that the defense looks great so maybe that is the problem.
Least surprising news ever.

Seems like anytime there is ANY skepticism or concern about the starting QB that people always overestimate the backups ability and just assume that Kirk and the staff are idiots - as if they've never seen the backups play against competition before.

While there are rare cases where a QB plays better in real games than practice, it doesn't happen that often. As we saw with Padilla he wasn't any better than Petras (not much worse, but not any better). And Lainez might look ok coming off the bench late in the game with his feet, if you actually start him for a series of games in the season teams would easily scout him and turn him into just as much of a trainwreck as the starter was last year.

The other assumption people make about our staff is that they are too "loyal" or stick with veterans too much. While there is some truth to this probably, I think people underestimate the importance of maintaining chemistry and player satisfaction especially in the world of transfers.

In the case of the current QB role, I think it would have been fair to tell Cade that he would remain the starter as long as healthy, and that they would bring in a strong backup in the event of injury. They would also tell this to the NW transfer as they are usually very open and honest with players in this regard.

Now maybe fans would get mad at this, but fans don't have to manage 100+ young adult males in the day of NIL, free transfers and social media. I think it's appropriate to commit to Cade even if Sullivan is 5% better in practice .... because we committed to it. Without that commitment up front to BOTH players, taking a transfer in to compete with Cade who, at best, might be 5% better due to mobility, is a recipe for problems. We also don't know what was said to Cade prior to considering Sullivan, so a staff has to keep their word to players and this staff is one of the highest character staffs in that regard imo.

So, yes, maybe they do commit to Cade and then fans get mad if Sullivan looks good in an open practice but isn't getting many reps with the ones. Deal with it - most of us are thinking of this in one dimensional ways but program management and roster management bring a lot more complexity to the table then just thinking about a depth chart.

I trust our staff - they do make roster mistakes, but much of what we perceive to be "mistakes" might be situations where we would change our mind if we knew 100% of the information.
Bingo!

One of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time

Ugh... I can't believe that we are hearing all of this again. Its like groundhog day with ths program. If Cade can't hack it in practice from a physical perspective he's got no chance once the arrows start flying. I hope a backup is ready to go and the coaches give him the necessary reps.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT