ADVERTISEMENT

Eierman Arrested

Huh? Folks are still liable to be killed for less by police all over US.
So ridiculous. False narrative. The highest death rate by any police department in the country is St. Louis PD (about 15 deaths per million). St Louis happens to typically rank 1 or 2 in the nation as the most violent city in the country. You have a 1 in 64 chance of being a victim of a violent crime. When folks are victimized, they call the police and often times those confrontations end violently. Not quite “selling loose cigarettes”. St Louis PD isn’t losing too many wrongful death lawsuits.

If you read Freakonomics, a strong argument is made that the decrease in violent crime was primarily driven by the effects of Roe V Wade and legalized abortion (1973-so a decrease in young men at age where many of the crimes happened)…and not so much policy/laws.
Except that there is a violent crime being committed when an innocent unborn child is being murdered.

He said he studied this in school, that's saying enough to establish where he's at. If he said after 20 years as a beat cop and detective I might pay attention to him.
Personally I'd give more credence to objective rather then subjective reasonings. The cop is giving you very biased opinions, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. I'll keep harping on it --- there needs to be balance.

Some of the US cities are doing nothing to punish offenders and they continue to rape, murder, and violate fellow mankind. California and NYC would be prime examples. Where there are no consequences, there is no reason for an individual to stop. When I go cruisin around in my car, I am mostly mindful to obey the law due to consequences. If I keep getting traffic tickets, I wise up and watch myself. I agree that the consequences should be in proportion to the crime and along with punishment should come rehabilitation.

BTW, I don't know the consequences The Riddler should face and I hope it is in balance with the crime. Let him learn and move on.

Some of the US cities are doing nothing to punish offenders and they continue to rape, murder, and violate fellow mankind. California and NYC would be prime examples. Where there are no consequences, there is no reason for an individual to stop. When I go cruisin around in my car, I am mostly mindful to obey the law due to consequences. If I keep getting traffic tickets, I wise up and watch myself. I agree that the consequences should be in proportion to the crime and along with punishment should come rehabilitation.
People in California who murder or rape are not being arrested, convicted and incarcerated?? Exaggerating and being facetious doesn't help your argument.

Punching in nose is down; murder by Glock is up.

US records highest increase in nation’s homicide rate in modern history, CDC says​

By Jacqueline Howard, CNN
Updated 8:13 AM EDT, Wed October 6, 2021

CNN —
The United States has just recorded its highest increase in rates of homicide in modern history, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/27/politics/uniform-crime-report-2020/index.html
Provisional data from the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics, released early Wednesday, suggest the homicide rate for the United States rose 30% between 2019 and 2020. It is the highest increase recorded in modern history – and confirms through public health data a rise in homicides that so far had been identified only through crime statistics.

The previous largest increase in the US homicide rate was a 20% rise recorded from 2000 to 2001 because of the September 11 terror attacks, according to NCHS.
30% increase is if course noteworthy, but the actual rate is still below the 70s - 90s, and WAY below best guesstimates from 1800, which is likely well below 1700. Long term trend in violence clearly a decline.

What the hell was going on in the 90's?????

Was in high school/college in the 90's but don't remember the crime being crazy.
From 1 article I saw......
"Two generations of scholars have yet (it appears to me) to satisfactorily explain why that (increase from 60's to 90's) happened. Some of the upswing in crime can be attributed to the baby boom: Put a lot more 15-to-25-year-old males into a society and you will get an upsurge of violence. Some of it has to do with what happened in the black 'ghettos,' of the North: The population grew rapidly just when the well-paying blue-collar jobs for men were disappearing. Some of it involved the growing drug trade. And perhaps some of the upswing reflected a short-term cultural shift — maybe the baby boom generation’s rejection of authority — that encouraged violence."

Don't forget to mention Montana, SD, and Kentucky. During the increase in murder rate a couple years ago, they led the pack with the highest increases.

From 1 article I saw......
"Two generations of scholars have yet (it appears to me) to satisfactorily explain why that (increase from 60's to 90's) happened. Some of the upswing in crime can be attributed to the baby boom: Put a lot more 15-to-25-year-old males into a society and you will get an upsurge of violence. Some of it has to do with what happened in the black 'ghettos,' of the North: The population grew rapidly just when the well-paying blue-collar jobs for men were disappearing. Some of it involved the growing drug trade. And perhaps some of the upswing reflected a short-term cultural shift — maybe the baby boom generation’s rejection of authority — that encouraged violence."

Filling in the blank -- make them directly and tangibly experience (to truly understand) the effect of their crime (i.e., an attempt to build empathy in a psychopath who has none).

"An eye for an eye" is old testament (Exodus 21:23-27). But by my reading of it, it is more about restitution than retribution. So if you take an eye, than you much make amends with something of equal or greater value. Perhaps over time the intent has been misinterpreted and perverted.

"23 But if any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

26 “If a man strikes the eye of his male or female servant, and destroys it, he shall let him go free for the sake of his eye. 27 And if he knocks out the tooth of his male or female servant, he shall let him go free for the sake of his tooth."

Could #5 be something like expressing remorse, asking forgiveness, and making restitution?

Would this be the "Christian" way?
Interesting stuff. I'll have to think about it some. I will say the first paragraph seems like rehabilitation, and the last something of a restorative theory. Any given punishment can serve some or all of the justifications for punishment, but that doesn't always answer the question of why or is it just.

Yeah, why listen to a guy who is way more educated than you on a topic? FML, some people are so ignorant.
Who says he's more educated? And secondly, more educated doesn't mean correct. Third, all my life I've seen little change unless the criminals want to change. So we let them run wild? Bleeding hearts are fine until real blood is shed.

People who drive drunk regularly drive drunk. People that make a living by committing crimes or commit crimes do not want to change. The last thing I need is listen to some guy who studied social work. It's not building a bridge, or programming a computer, it's a soft science of dubious results.

Who says he's more educated? And secondly, more educated doesn't mean correct. Third, all my life I've seen little change unless the criminals want to change. So we let them run wild? Bleeding hearts are fine until real blood is shed.

People who drive drunk regularly drive drunk. People that make a living by committing crimes or commit crimes do not want to change. The last thing I need is listen to some guy who studied social work. It's not building a bridge, or programming a computer, it's a soft science of dubious results.
but we punish and enforce dui laws wwwwaaaayyyyy more these days than we did back in the day, when all of you guys seem to think was before all the bleeding hearts took over (and crime rates were generally much higher)...

i don't understand how any of this is supposed to make sense, other than just complaining about stuff you don't like

but we punish and enforce dui laws wwwwaaaayyyyy more these days than we did back in the day, when all of you guys seem to think was before all the bleeding hearts took over (and crime rates were generally much higher)...

i don't understand how any of this is supposed to make sense, other than just complaining about stuff you don't like
It’s interesting how social media can focus the collective attention on situations today. Crime didn’t seem so bad in the 90’s partly because it was out of sight and mind for most.

Speaking of crimes…..

What is your point? Nowhere did I say DUIs shouldn’t be punished. People who commit them are usually habitual drunk drivers.

It’s low hanging fruit though. Where are fines for violent crime? DUIs are a money making enterprise, other crimes are a money losing enterprise for the state.

I’m not saying DUIs shouldn’t be punished, im saying other crimes should be taken as seriously . Maybe if we had mothers against assault and rape , MAAAR bleeding hearts might want to do something about them.

What is your point? Nowhere did I say DUIs shouldn’t be punished. People who commit them are usually habitual drunk drivers.

It’s low hanging fruit though. Where are fines for violent crime? DUIs are a money making enterprise, other crimes are a money losing enterprise for the state.

I’m not saying DUIs shouldn’t be punished, im saying other crimes should be taken as seriously . Maybe if we had mothers against assault and rape , MAAAR bleeding hearts might want to do something about them.
do you really think people are not fined for violent crimes?

Reactions: Mendoza77
Interesting article on the roll of social media on violent crime..

Personally I'd give more credence to objective rather then subjective reasonings. The cop is giving you very biased opinions, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. I'll keep harping on it --- there needs to be balance.
Well I dooooo have a Masters Degree, but I honestly don’t hold much stock in it. It’s a piece of paper I got by writing a lot of papers and I only got it so I could earn more paper. I’ve met a lot of really dumb people with degrees and some really sharp folks who don’t have one.

Interesting stuff. I'll have to think about it some. I will say the first paragraph seems like rehabilitation, and the last something of a restorative theory. Any given punishment can serve some or all of the justifications for punishment, but that doesn't always answer the question of why or is it just.
Seems like with one significant difference, all "punishment" is meted inside-out as opposed to any external entity acting upon the offender.

Well I dooooo have a Masters Degree, but I honestly don’t hold much stock in it. It’s a piece of paper I got by writing a lot of papers and I only got it so I could earn more paper. I’ve met a lot of really dumb people with degrees and some really sharp folks who don’t have one.
look at me for example….. only a high school diploma …….yet I’m a virtual fountain of knowledge

look at me for example….. only a high school diploma …….yet I’m a virtual fountain of knowledge

socrates.png

The evidence you have presented is accepted, thank-you for your service. The jury will stand adjourned.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT