ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing Iowa fans

Dec 10, 2015
I'm sure this is just a biased view from my section (17), but some of our fans were embarrassing.
1. Booing the stanford band for mocking us : they obviously wanted that reaction and we gave it to them. If you were offended, then you were taking them too seriously. Just a bunch of liberal, drunk whack jobs trying to get under our skin and it apparently worked.
2. Standing during the game. I will stand for 10 hours straight to watch the hawks, but when your collective section is sitting, it becomes a problem when Joe blow and his girlfriend are the only ones standing and they happen to be 2 rows in front of you. Obviously, during important downs is a different story. I would love to just stand, too, but I am conscious of those behind me and considerate.
3. It's pretty embarrassing when I have to call out a woman in front of me for standing while trying to "catch up "with an old friend while the hawks are driving down the field in the 2nd quarter (on our end, nonetheless! )
4. This is even more particular, but the idiot next to us was booing everything in sight (stanford band, rose bowl hall of fame class, saying "f shaw, f the refs, etc.) It made us want to move sections.
5. Leaving the game early. To each their own, but I can't see leaving the rose bowl early because you're disgusted and want to go to a bar or back to the car to tailgate. I'll have plenty of times to do that back in Iowa if I want.

I'm sure I have a biased view based on my section, but I was disgusted and embarrassed, at times.

You obviously didn't go to the championship game, Iowa and MSU fans stood for 80% of the game.

I left early, because I knew how tough it would be getting out of there, plus did not know how safe it would be walking after dark. Wife and I sat down for a Mai Tai's and excellent Asia food in time to see us fumble on the last drive. I paid a lot for my tickets, if I choose to leave with the game out of hand, it's my prerogative.

Oh, almost forgot, impressive seeing a 30ish black man and woman get in the face of a elderly couple from Iowa for trying to keep from getting squeezed in there seats. I doubt they had tickets for that row because she ended up sitting on his lap. Ushers did a poor job of controlling that issue.

Regarding the Stanford band, yes I was upset. Ignorance is bliss. I wonder if those kids realize where 60% of all ethanol comes from, answer - the Midwest. For a state that requires the highest level of biofuel for cars in the country, hard to believe they were taking shots. Those kids don't understand. Wonder how they eat without farmers?

Yes, farmers only is a corny web site (pardon the pun) but the Stanford band was not taking a shot at the web site. It was clearly a shot at farming and Iowa. They probably don't even know the other Iowa school is our agricultural college.

Bummer of game, but overall have had a great time. Rose Parade was great, USS Iowa was great to see, plan to enjoy San Diego and some sea food before heading home.

Go Hawks!

I'm sure this is just a biased view from my section (17), but some of our fans were embarrassing.
1. Booing the stanford band for mocking us : they obviously wanted that reaction and we gave it to them. If you were offended, then you were taking them too seriously. Just a bunch of liberal, drunk whack jobs trying to get under our skin and it apparently worked.
2. Standing during the game. I will stand for 10 hours straight to watch the hawks, but when your collective section is sitting, it becomes a problem when Joe blow and his girlfriend are the only ones standing and they happen to be 2 rows in front of you. Obviously, during important downs is a different story. I would love to just stand, too, but I am conscious of those behind me and considerate.
3. It's pretty embarrassing when I have to call out a woman in front of me for standing while trying to "catch up "with an old friend while the hawks are driving down the field in the 2nd quarter (on our end, nonetheless! )
4. This is even more particular, but the idiot next to us was booing everything in sight (stanford band, rose bowl hall of fame class, saying "f shaw, f the refs, etc.) It made us want to move sections.
5. Leaving the game early. To each their own, but I can't see leaving the rose bowl early because you're disgusted and want to go to a bar or back to the car to tailgate. I'll have plenty of times to do that back in Iowa if I want.

I'm sure I have a biased view based on my section, but I was disgusted and embarrassed, at times.

Way to battle!!

Typical game.
Quite often, fans become upset and frustrated at the game.
Take the bad with the good.
On TV it looked like a beautiful sunset.
Stanford fans seemed happy and laughed about fun things for them.
When YOUR team is being slaughtered however, nothing is much fun and smiles disappear quickly. High hopes ruined by a better team than yours.
Iowa team looked awful no ifs, ands, or buts about it. :-(

Reactions: Fiestyfox
Like many fan bases Stanford has their share of arrogant a-holes. Percentage-wise they may have exceeded the norm. They should be ashamed of their band performance both in the parade and at the game. The cow was ridiculous. It seemed like a very mediocre comedy skit rather than a band performance.

Reactions: ICHawk95
You obviously didn't go to the championship game, Iowa and MSU fans stood for 80% of the game.

I left early, because I knew how tough it would be getting out of there, plus did not know how safe it would be walking after dark. Wife and I sat down for a Mai Tai's and excellent Asia food in time to see us fumble on the last drive. I paid a lot for my tickets, if I choose to leave with the game out of hand, it's my prerogative.

Oh, almost forgot, impressive seeing a 30ish black man and woman get in the face of a elderly couple from Iowa for trying to keep from getting squeezed in there seats. I doubt they had tickets for that row because she ended up sitting on his lap. Ushers did a poor job of controlling that issue.

Regarding the Stanford band, yes I was upset. Ignorance is bliss. I wonder if those kids realize where 60% of all ethanol comes from, answer - the Midwest. For a state that requires the highest level of biofuel for cars in the country, hard to believe they were taking shots. Those kids don't understand. Wonder how they eat without farmers?

Yes, farmers only is a corny web site (pardon the pun) but the Stanford band was not taking a shot at the web site. It was clearly a shot at farming and Iowa. They probably don't even know the other Iowa school is our agricultural college.

Bummer of game, but overall have had a great time. Rose Parade was great, USS Iowa was great to see, plan to enjoy San Diego and some sea food before heading home.

Go Hawks!
Yeah, I was at the big 10 championship game. Our section stood for most of the game and it was awesome. Completely different theme in my section yesterday. And outcome, unfortunately.

The Stanford band is a bunch of no class A-Holes. I expected better. I hope Notre Dame beats their football team next time.

These are pretty petty things to be embarrassed about. Nothing can be more embarrassing than a drunk Stanford fan yelling Heisman every 5 seconds during an interview.

I couldn't believe someone didn't yank his ass out of there (the kid was probably a Stanford band member). I wouldn't have been surprised to see Ed McCaffrey himself come out of the stands and drag the twerp out his kids interview.

Reactions: Volasaurus

Are you sure you weren't in section 11?

Your complaints are ridiculous. It's a football game, a huge football game, and people stand. In Indy, we stood the whole game in my section. Watch it on TV if you don't want to stand. There is no God damn rule saying anyone had to sit.

This douchebag in section 11 actually called security because two guys in our section were standing. Never seen anything like it. Are you sure that wasn't you?

Pathetic.

I left with 10 minutes left cause it was freaking cold and I didn't have a jacket. That's why many left. Dang right I stood up, this is football emotion is required.

We left at the 10 minute mark in the third quarter and it wasn't to go drink. We just had enough of what we saw. Man, it happened fast. 21 to nothing in a blink of an eye.

Reactions: DUpHawks

Your complaints are ridiculous. It's a football game, a huge football game, and people stand. In Indy, we stood the whole game in my section. Watch it on TV if you don't want to stand. There is no God damn rule saying anyone had to sit.

This douchebag in section 11 actually called security because two guys in our section were standing. Never seen anything like it. Are you sure that wasn't you?

Pathetic.

So where is the freaking rule saying anyone has to stand???

Did you read the OP? I don't think it would matter to you anyway because you come off 100% like "It's my God Damn constitutional right to stand!!!"

The OP said no one else was standing so he sat too, even though he's good with standing. I like to stand too, but if no one else is - save for 2 a$$holes - I"m not going to be a dick and block other's views.

I know, I know. It's like I have eyes in the back of my head to realize that there are fans behind me. But it's actually just this weird sense I've developed called consideration. So pesky. Prevents everything from being all about me all the time.

Reactions: Cardinal_2001

HTFU

So where is the freaking rule saying anyone has to stand???

Did you read the OP? I don't think it would matter to you anyway because you come off 100% like "It's my God Damn constitutional right to stand!!!"

The OP said no one else was standing so he sat too, even though he's good with standing. I like to stand too, but if no one else is - save for 2 a$$holes - I"m not going to be a dick and block other's views.

I know, I know. It's like I have eyes in the back of my head to realize that there are fans behind me. But it's actually just this weird sense I've developed called consideration. So pesky. Prevents everything from being all about me all the time.

This.

It's shouldn't be that complicated. If everyone else is standing, stand. If everyone around you is sitting, then sit.

People that stand for 100% of the game are assholes. Fact.

I was in 17 as well, and witnessed almost all of those things (not the F-bomb guy). I was kind of annoyed that people booed the band too. A simple lets go hawks chant would have more than sufficed. One Iowa fan, probably in his 60's, decided it would be a good idea to stand in the aisle that went between tunnels around the bowl during the game, and people started yelling for him to get out of the way, he turned and made a comment like "it's not even a game!" and walked away, pathetic. At least he walked away, so we could see.

I see people standing in front of others and "catching up" with someone at many sporting events.

some people are assholes...it's not something that is limited to Iowa fans

I agree with every single point made by the OP, except the last one.

With the score 35-0, I probably would have left at halftime and not come back.
x2 & x2
Who came to the game to watch Iowa try to score a few points against the stanford bench?
I would never leave if a team had any sort of chance to come back...but if you thought we actually had a chance you must have been toking a little too much "medicinal" out there :)

I couldn't believe someone didn't yank his ass out of there (the kid was probably a Stanford band member). I wouldn't have been surprised to see Ed McCaffrey himself come out of the stands and drag the twerp out his kids interview.

I was assuming he knew McCaffrey, as security never grabbed him. He thought he was pretty cool, would have loved to see derrick henry appear out of no where and see the guy piss his pants. What a rude little punk!

Pathetic.

Two guys are standing in a section of, what, 5,000 and you think that is ok?

Some of you fail to recognize the difference between the CCG and yesterday's game ... there wasn't much reason or "good time" to stand, they took the wind out of the sails immediately and it never got built back up.

Standing just to stand is silly, some of the standers don't even cheer or anything, they just stand...for what purpose?

I stand on every "right time", and sometimes that lasts an entire game, many times it does not. It most certainly did not yesterday, didn't even get them to a third down until we were deflated.

Let me make a guess: the standers also left early? How ironic.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Unfortunately, the better fans are the ones that are at the games when Iowa goes 7-6, 8-5, etc.

The winning brings out quite a few of the uneducated weirdos. There definitely was some interesting 'new' fans out there this season.

Unfortunately, the better fans are the ones that are at the games when Iowa goes 7-6, 8-5, etc.

The winning brings out quite a few of the uneducated weirdos. There definitely was some interesting 'new' fans out there this season.

This is true, but I'm not bagging on the fans who were "new" and I'm sure neither is OP, but the "bandwagon" always brings out some characters and difficulties. Many people just want to belong, for lack of a better term, so as the hype increases and word of mouth spreads they jump right in.

It leads to complete bottlenecks in Kinnick like at the Minnesota game this year, amazing how a normal 70k crowd gets around and to their seats just fine, but drop regular attendance to 60k and sell it out for that game, the new 10k just create mayhem.

I'm sure bowls are the same way, the "new" fans aren't there to support the team as much as they are there just as the thing to do, which completely alters the priorities.

It isn't a bad thing, but it can lead to some ugliness.

Reactions: VodkaSam and kwik44
E
This is true, but I'm not bagging on the fans who were "new" and I'm sure neither is OP, but the "bandwagon" always brings out some characters and difficulties. Many people just want to belong, for lack of a better term, so as the hype increases and word of mouth spreads they jump right in.

It leads to complete bottlenecks in Kinnick like at the Minnesota game this year, amazing how a normal 70k crowd gets around and to their seats just fine, but drop regular attendance to 60k and sell it out for that game, the new 10k just create mayhem.

I'm sure bowls are the same way, the "new" fans aren't there to support the team as much as they are there just as the thing to do, which completely alters the priorities.

It isn't a bad thing, but it can lead to some ugliness.

Exactly.

That sums up the rest of what I was getting at.

I witnessed several around me at the Minnesota game and a couple in front of us at BTCG, who clearly have never been on the road for an Iowa game.

I was embarrassed as the idiot was standing on purpose in front of the OSU fan next to me during timeouts, halftime, etc.

I agree with every single point made by the OP, except the last one.

With the score 35-0, I probably would have left at halftime and not come back.

If you would have had that same attitude at the basketball game today (at purdue), you would have missed a pretty good ball game.

This.

It's shouldn't be that complicated. If everyone else is standing, stand. If everyone around you is sitting, then sit.

People that stand for 100% of the game are assholes. Fact.

Yep. And the funny thing about it is that generally those fans think they are better fans than the rest of us and are somehow helping the team. Stand when its a big play, otherwise show some courtesy for the other guy who paid for his tickets too.

Reactions: kwik44
I was in 17 also and had to stand for most of the game because the people in front of us were standing so it was the only way to see. I disagree with the OP however as I was extremely impressed with how the majority of Iowa fans stayed until the end and continued to cheer until the end. Our group made sure we clapped and cheered the Hawks as they left the field in recognition of the great year even though this game was a huge disappointment.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT