ADVERTISEMENT

Vols #2 RB Opts Out

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha
This broke late yesterday, and I didn't see anything about it on the board, so apologize if I am opening up a can of rehash.

Jabari Small, co- #RB, has opted out of the bowl game. Jabari started 24 games at UT, amassed 2,122 yards (#16 all-time at UT) and rushed for 475 yards this season. He joins Jaylen Wright, who rushed for 1,013 yards this season, as an opt out.

Expect the starter to be sophomore Dylan Samson, who rushed for 471 yards and had 175 yards receiving this season. He will likely split time with Freshman Cameron Seldon, who had 54 yards on 12 carries this season.

There's a whole lotta workload to be covered in that backfield to take the pressure off a true frosh starting QB facing off with Phil Parker's defense. Wonder how good of blockers these young bucks are with minimal field time

Good luck Vols!

Last edited:
This broke late yesterday, and I didn't see anything about it on the board, so apologize if I am opening up a can of rehash.

Jabari Small, co- #RB, has opted out of the bowl game. Jabari started 24 games at UT, amassed 2,122 yards (#16 all-time at UT) and rushed for 475 yards this season. He joins Jaylen Wright, who rushed for 1,013 yards this season, as an opt out.

Expect the starter to be sophomore Dylan Samson, who rushed for 471 yards and had 175 yards receiving this season. He will likely split time with Freshman Cameron Seldon, who had 54 yards on 12 carries this season.

There's a whole lotta workload to be covered in that backfield to take the pressure off a true frosh starting QB facing off with Phil Parker's defense. Wonder how good of blockers these young bucks are with minimal field time

Good luck Vols!
Sampson was the 2nd best RB. He is a good in protection. He has 7 TDs this season. He took over the UK game in the 4th quarter. Seldon hasnt played enough to know how he will do. He is a big back with a lot of speed. But that doesn’t mean he will be good.

Sampson was the 2nd best RB. He is a good in protection. He has 7 TDs this season. He took over the UK game in the 4th quarter. Seldon hasnt played enough to know how he will do. He is a big back with a lot of speed. But that doesn’t mean he will be good.
Yep. Seldon has 54 yards on 12 carries.

Rushing yards will be tough to come by, but the pass blocking is more critical for success.

Iowa implemented a 4-1-6 against Michigan and basically shut them down in neutral field position. Problem in that game was Iowa's special teams gaffe and turnovers. They twice gave Michigan the ball inside the Iowa 6 yard line.

Elsewise, they held #1 Michigan to 64 yards rushing (McCarthy had -33, Corum 52) and 147 passing.

Reactions: VFL1970
This game could get really ugly.

Tennessee at full strength couldn’t beat this Iowa team.

Their backups are really going to struggle.

Agreed. I think Iowa would have won this game straight up. Season starters vs. season starters. It might just be that a bunch of talented upstarts are more dangerous for Iowa than the starters that aren't playing though.

Agreed. I think Iowa would have won this game straight up. Season starters vs. season starters.
If you just look at the Power Ranking Index, Tennessee would be favored by 11.

If you look deep into the analytics, before Milton opted out, Iowa would be a 2.5 dog.

If you look even deeper, it should be anywhere from a pick 'em to Iowa favored by 1.

Vegas has this number wrong, but the line has been open for 3+ weeks at 8/8.5 and there was a huge adjustment this morning after Milton to hedge and jump in late. The 2 point swing downward tells you all you need to know, as well as a 60 point change in the Iowa Money Line from +260 to +200.

Smart money moved this morning..

I have Iowa winning by 9.

Good luck Vols!

So, who's playing and who's not?

As of TODAY, Dec. 27, 2023, at 9:33 a.m. CT:

There are 13 Tennessee players who have opted out or transferred. There are 5 Tennessee players out due to injury.

There are 5 Iowa players who have transferred (not including Spencer Petras); no one had opted out. There are 4 Iowa players out due to injury.

The details:

Who is projected to not play in the Citrus Bowl for Tennessee:

PlayerPositionReason
Tyler BaronDLTransfer to Ole Miss
Addison NicholsOLTransfer to Arkansas
Jack LuttrellDBTransfer to Arizona
Tamarion McDonaldDBTransfer to Ole Miss
Brandon TurnageDBTransfer
Warren BurrellDBGeorgia Tech
Doneiko SlaughterDBTransfer to Arkansas
Mo Clipper Jr.OLTransfer
Connor MeadowsOLTransfer