ADVERTISEMENT

Even Clarkenomics Can’t Solve Sexism in Sports

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Caitlin Clark is the most famous female college basketball player in history and was the No. 1 draft pick for the W.N.B.A. this year. But the public has been scandalized to discover what awaits this talented young woman as she enters pro sports: Her first-year salary will be only $76,535.

Her starting salary is far from that of the No. 1 N.B.A. draft pick, which is estimated at $10.5 million. In fact, as Axios reported, next year any random N.B.A. player is set to earn more than Clark’s entire team, the Indiana Fever, combined.

The outrage is refreshing.

Women in sports have been screaming about the athletic wage gap for years. Finally, people get it. On Wednesday even President Biden called on female athletes to be “paid what they deserve.”
He’s right. Sports are the ultimate expression of America’s values when it comes to many things, especially gender. The glass ceiling in women’s sports salaries has been accepted for so long that it’s easy to come up with plausible reasons that the best women are paid so much less than even the average man: lower demand for their games, suboptimal agreements between players and the league, inadequate broadcast deals.
But there are always reasons for blatant inequality. The question is whether America wants to continue to accept them. There’s not some craven force artificially keeping women’s sports salaries down; salaries follow the market. Ever since the dawn of professional women’s basketball, the league has been treated like the J.V. of the men’s game. When we invest in something as though it will never measure up, we effectively ensure it becomes that way. Let’s call it what it is: sexism.
Luckily, the fans see it differently. The W.N.B.A. now has a rising star player who is shattering TV viewership records everywhere she goes, and there are plenty of others ready to share her spotlight. Corporate sponsorships and better broadcast deals, and ultimately, better contracts, follow the fans. As we saw in soccer, where the U.S. women’s national team now makes the same as the men’s team, salary parity is achievable only when the public demands it and delivers the ratings to back it up. The more that goes into the pie, the easier it is for players and the league to get more in turn.
(And it’s not as if Clark were being sent off to the poorhouse. She is said to be closing an eight-figure contract with Nike, and her other endorsement deals are already worth millions.)
Women’s basketball finally has the thing the market wants: attention. And that’s translating to sales. The Fever’s ticket prices are up almost 200 percent from last season, and Clark’s games are already set to pack stadiums. Trickle-down Clarkenomics is on a thrilling rally.
The W.N.B.A. is only going to continue to soar — Clark is already a one-woman rocket booster for its success. But ultimately, Caitlin Clark can’t fix sexism. Only those of us watching can.

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
Why haven't a large percentage of women helped their fellow women? All those empty seats over the years. The failed franchises.

How many people who hold the opinion that the current state of affairs is driven by sexism have attended an WNBA game? How many have bought WNBA merchandise.

That's not sexism that's life. Women were not watching women's basketball. Didn't the NBA commissioner talk about how the majority of WNBA fans were middle aged men or something?

This is the ultimate case of don't cry about it do something about it. Watch women's basketball, go to the games, get all your friends to watch. This was something that was and the very much still is very easy. Women's basketball tickets pre Clark were cheap and if they were ever on TV you could watch them on TV. These are not hard things.

The good news is that CC has become a likable player who's very good who people want to watch.

Professional basketball players are entertainers just like music stars, actors and stand up comedians. When people want to watch a certain act that act usually gets paid well. Those that don't get watched by many people don't get paid as well.

Serena Williams out earned most male tennis players because people wanted to watch her play.

This isn't some grand conspiracy to keep women down.

Last edited:
Her salary isn't on par with the NBA because she doesn't play in the NBA, and her talent level isn't close to an NBA player. That's not sexism. It's a different level of competition and a different league.

It really isn't about the level of competition. A lot of female UFC fighters out earned the men even though the men could crush them in a fight because people wanted to watch the woman.

Same thing with Serena Williams. Out earned a lot of male tennis players even though she by her own admission would lose to any one of them badly because people simply wanted to watch her play.

It's all about what people want to watch.

With her shooting ability and range, it's basically a guarantee that she'll have success in the WNBA.
sometimes she takes shots too quickly and they are bricks and she doesn't give the rest of the team time enough to get down there and rebound , hopefully the pros are faster and better at getting down there , she might get chewed out for not pausing a minute and making the shot count

It isn’t sexism that made NBA television rights worth billions compared to millions for the WNBA.

You can’t spend money that doesn’t exist.

The WNBA will have higher salaries as the popularity of the game increases and more people tune in to watch it. The SAME WAY the NBA grew.
More opportunity to watch the WNBA will help as well. Considering CC's Indiana jersey is Fanatics best selling jersey for a draft pick ever, I think their viewership is going to grow.

The WNBA has half the number of teams as the NBA and only pulls in a fraction of the revenue. If viewership numbers reach NBA levels as well as media deals that are equivalent in value and there is still this massive wage gap, then I will be on board with them 100% with these complaints. However, right now that is not the case and the pay is proportional to the revenues of the league. It's about to go up, so hopefully these women will start making a lot more money in the coming decade. But until then, it is what it is.

For women's soccer, the viewership numbers and attendance numbers were far more comparable between the men's and women's team (at least for the national team, I don't even think the women's professional league has a media deal beyond a few local contracts). They had a far stronger argument than the situation the WNBA is in right now.

That's not sexism that's life. Women were not watching women's basketball. Didn't the NBA commissioner talk about how the majority of WNBA fans were middle aged men or something?

This is the ultimate case of don't cry about it do something about it. Watch women's basketball, go to the games, get all your friends to watch. This was something that was and the very much still is very easy. Women's basketball tickets pre Clark were cheap and if they were ever on TV you could watch them on TV. These are not hard things.

The good news is that CC has become a likable player who's very good who people want to watch.

Professional basketball players are entertainers just like music stars, actors and stand up comedians. When people want to watch a certain act that act usually gets paid well. Those that don't get watched by many people don't get paid as well.

Serena Williams out earned most male tennis players because people wanted to watch her play.

This isn't some grand conspiracy to keep women down.
Nailed it.

It isn’t sexism that Taylor Swift is paid more than Bruno Mars.

It isn’t sexism that made NBA television rights worth billions compared to millions for the WNBA.

You can’t spend money that doesn’t exist.

The WNBA will have higher salaries as the popularity of the game increases and more people tune in to watch it. The SAME WAY the NBA grew.
This.

It’s such a lazy argument and lazy topic for low-info writers.

Ever since the dawn of professional women’s basketball, the league has been treated like the J.V. of the men’s game.
That's because it is a JV version of the men's game. You want true equality, get rid of the WNBA and let women compete on skill and ability with the men. How many would make the NBA? Zero.

The WNBA has half the number of teams as the NBA and only pulls in a fraction of the revenue. If viewership numbers reach NBA levels as well as media deals that are equivalent in value and there is still this massive wage gap, then I will be on board with them 100% with these complaints. However, right now that is not the case and the pay is proportional to the revenues of the league. It's about to go up, so hopefully these women will start making a lot more money in the coming decade. But until then, it is what it is.

For women's soccer, the viewership numbers and attendance numbers were far more comparable between the men's and women's team (at least for the national team, I don't even think the women's professional league has a media deal beyond a few local contracts). They had a far stronger argument than the situation the WNBA is in right now.

Just looked it up. Very good news for the WNBA is their TV deal is up for renewal in 2025. Just in time for them to capitalize on CC.

It would suck if they were like 5 years away from renewing their deal.

I'm guessing thanks to CC salaries will probably more than double sooner rather than later. To call this sexism is stupid. The WNBA wouldn't exist without the NBA while the NBA would obviously be fine without the WNBA.

Fortunately for the women, thanks entirely to CC many people like myself will now be watching. Expect ratings and revenues to explode.

Just looked it up. Very good news for the WNBA is their TV deal is up for renewal in 2025. Just in time for them to capitalize on CC.

It would suck if they were like 5 years away from renewing their deal.
It's also why the league needs to agree to a short contract next time as well. Maybe 5 years. They don't want to get locked into a deal for 15 years when the league could triple in value in that amount of time.

Am I the only one who thinks people will watch Clark’s games and not much else?
I think people will also watch Chicago's games. As much as we all hate Reese, there are a lot of people who tune in to watch her play. Not as many as Clark, of course, but she is a draw. Also, she is a good player and if she can actually be a good teammate (my biggest question mark with her) I think the Sky did extremely well in this draft. Her and Cardoso under the basket will be really hard for other teams to deal with. If they can sign a top tier guard (or maybe they have one, I don't really know their roster) they will be as good as anybody. But really, the whole league is good.

Reactions: cigaretteman
It's also why the league needs to agree to a short contract next time as well. Maybe 5 years. They don't want to get locked into a deal for 15 years when the league could triple in value in that amount of time.

It will be interesting to find out how they go on the length of the deal.

Because CC could be the beginning of a massive interest boom in the WNBA. Or she could just be a passing fad that flames out in 1 or 2 years.

Each side in the deal is going to have to take both possible scenarios into account.

I think people will also watch Chicago's games. As much as we all hate Reese, there are a lot of people who tune in to watch her play. Not as many as Clark, of course, but she is a draw. Also, she is a good player and if she can actually be a good teammate (my biggest question mark with her) I think the Sky did extremely well in this draft. Her and Cardoso under the basket will be really hard for other teams to deal with. If they can sign a top tier guard (or maybe they have one, I don't really know their roster) they will be as good as anybody. But really, the whole league is good.

That will be a big thing that the WNBA will want to do. They need to sell a rivalry.

Of course the problem is that the rivalry will need to be between 2 stars. If CC is a star but Reese is just a role-player, it doesn't work.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Am I the only one who thinks people will watch Clark’s games and not much else?

I think this will initially the case. However I feel like after a few years something will have to break . . . either CC will just be a passing fad or her being in the league will spill over to interest in other games/teams.

I don't feel like the focus on CC only and ignoring the rest of the league is sustainable for more than a few years.

Women's basketball has changed quite a bit in my lifetime. Fast speed, high scoring like Iowa did this year is so fun to watch. When I was young, I watched slow paced 6 on 6. Boring

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT