ADVERTISEMENT

Eye Floaters

HawkMachine

HR Heisman
Jul 6, 2020
IOWA
Anyone have problems with these?

I think I've always had some, but lately I've noticed a large increase in my right eye.

At first I thought I had a smudge on my contact but after putting in a new pair I've realized it's floaters.

Been going on for a good 3 months or so and has really impacted my vision.

Going back to the eye doctor this afternoon.

Looks like surgery can maybe help.

Anyone have or had issues?

Boobs:

50b527cd31b454776aa582196ccae4cf.jpg

I think I've always had some, but lately I've noticed a large increase in my right eye.

At first I thought I had a smudge on my contact but after putting in a new pair I've realized it's floaters.

Boobs:

Yes. I got hit hard in the face some years back in a soccer game by a shot. Periodically A little vessel will give way and I have floaters for a time. I always have a small one in my right eye.

I’ve had them come and go through the years. I was really getting annoyed by one last week but thankfully it went away.
I can always see one if I try to. Is that a normal thing?

Boobs:

Yes, I’ve had issues with that off and on as well. I was told it was due to high blood pressure.

Just asked a co-worker who is my age and she doesn't have them at all.

This is what my vision is basically like right now.

You can really tell when you move your eyes left and right.

eye-floaters.jpg

eye-floaters.jpg
Oh, that’s completely different than a dot that seems to hover. Hopefully you’ll get some answers from your eye doctor.

If you’re in the Des Moines area, the Wolfe Eye Clinic is very good. I had eye surgery there several years ago.

Boobs:

I have them in both eyes. I went to Wolfe Eye Clinic when I lived there, and they said, in my case, nothing needed to be done, and that over time, your brain trains itself to get used to them and you notice them much less. That’s what happened for me.

Reactions: spiderland
I've experienced them off and on since elementary school,.. They come and go, never real terrible, and I mostly just disregard them...

Boobs:

Yes. You should be worried about a retinal detachment. Iowa is excellent for that. Google Tim Johnson, md/PhD in ophthalmology.

As hilarious as this thread is, eye floaters are protein fragments made from collagen. They usually occur in myopic folks in their middle age. I have them. There are supplements you can take to reduce them, if they are stable. That includes bromelain, collagen, grape seed extract and amla berries.

If you start seeing fireworks or lightning bolts, you are experiencing retinal traction or a detachment. Go to an eye doctor, not optometrist, right away.

eye-floaters.jpg
Mine look like that but have forever. My doc has always said if they get worse over a short period of time to say something.

I’d go to the eye doc asap if I was you.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Some websites say being dehydrated, screen time, stress, etc. can cause them.

Well, my right eye which is the worst started around Feb I think which is the heart of tax season.

All I drink is coffee and Diet Dew so I'm about 99% sure I'm dehydrated.

I went to my eye doc like a month ago and he fully dilated my eyes since I have diabetes.

I would assume he would have seen something then.

Not sure.
They are common in diabetics. I would strongly urge you to take bilberry and astaxanthin and lutein.
Retinal detachments usually start at the periphery so they can or cannot be detected during a dilated eye exam. If you are uncertain, I would go back and get another exam done.

Well, my right eye which is the worst started around Feb I think which is the heart of tax season.

I've been in your shoes. Read my posts about supplements. They will help you. I am a freaking scientist. Data or it's garbage and they work.

Occasional floaters is a pretty normal thing for someone 40+. However, a large and suddenly increase could be early sign of a retinal detachment. I Recommend a fairly urgent eye exam.

Boobs:

I had the exact same symptoms you are describing about 2 years ago, a "smudge" in my vision. I went to my eye doctor and it was determined I had a cataract in that eye. Went to an eye surgeon shortly thereafter and it has been back to normal since. I have had floaters in both eyes since my early 20's and this smudge was totally different from what I had experienced with the floaters.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: HawkMachine
I had the exact same symptoms you are describing about 2 years ago, a "smudge" in my vision.

That's exactly how I described it when first noticed back in February.

Like a smudge on my contact.

You mentioned going to a surgeon, did you have surgery or did he fix it a different way?

I have them. They have stabilized.

Doc says some people just get them. He explained need to distinguish from potential detached retina symptoms - which are flashes of light; sudden vision changes; feel like vision is sliding or peeling down like wallpaper.

He gave me a card with a grid of squares - white print on dark card - on it and have been told to look at it if I am ever concerned and call if the lines are not uniform and the squares not “square” - perhaps wavy.

On a clear sunny day, I can see the floater in one of my eyes and draw it from memory. You eventually just stop noticing them.

Glad you are going to the doc.

Drink some water fatty.

eye-floaters.jpg
I have had them for about 30 years, but they only really bother me looking into a bright sky, like in that picture

That's exactly how I described it when first noticed back in February.

Like a smudge on my contact.

You mentioned going to a surgeon, did you have surgery or did he fix it a different way?
I had cataract surgery which was a breeze. No pain, just laying there as the surgeon did his thing. I was conscious the entire time looking up with a dim light shining in my eye. My eye was flooded with some kind of liquid and it seemed like I was under water from the view. Like I said though, no pain or inconvenience. The surgeon basically takes out the old lens using a laser and inserts a new one. Your eye will be super dilated for several hours (no driving) and you may need to wear sunglasses, especially if you are outside at all. IIRC, I had a day or two of recovery where I wasn't supposed to do too much.

Your vitreous is detaching from the back of your eye. Common with age. Not serious but should see eye doctor for guidance.

Your vitreous is detaching from the back of your eye. Common with age. Not serious but should see eye doctor for guidance.

We have a BINGO.

He said I have a detached vitreous.

Not really doing anything with it at the moment which is pretty disappointing as it really bothers me and messes up my vision.

There's a surgery which he said can be a little risky so it's not performed that often.

Might go to the Wolfe Clinic for my next annual check to have them look at it and see what they say.

I thought we were going to hear about stripper’s nipples to the eye balls. I hate it when that happens…..going in to play with the pups, bounce them back and forth, a little suckage, then bam, nipple to the eye ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT