ADVERTISEMENT

F*** st grades

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
Disclaimer- I usually like to take some time to think about it, but I am to wired up to go to bed so....

125 Lee -90 Got a little sloppy, got taken down, got cradled. He has to eliminate that crap! He got the Tech, and you could clearly see, IOWA was going to get "homered" by this POS Ref.!!! Lee wanted the fall, but the great Fale sent this "wire" character out and I guess they must of said something to the official prior. As soon as Lee got a wing/Bar and started to work it, the POS stopped it!!! Ref-F

133 Teske- 50 here is where the "homer" calls continued and it clearly effected the match. You could say maybe??? Teske deserved a stall call, but ok, lets see if this POS official is consistent and fair? He was NOT!!! In any case, once Teske was hit for the 3rd time late in the 3rd. He needed to play the edge with about 23 seconds to go. Even if he got hit again, he would have kept it to 3 if my math and memory are correct. In any case, DO NOT GET PINNED!!! Ref-F

141 Woods- 98, looked REALy good, in control, beat a ranked guy with the crowd going wild! Ref-F where were the stalls when our got took like 5 shots to zero???

149 Murin - 95 another solid performance here. Ranked guy, wrestled smart, in control, tuff, keep it rolling kid!!!

157 Cobe-75 man O-MAN did he have that kid dead to rights with that bear hug! Jumped outa my seat! He seems to do that a little to often. Has guys locked up, thrown to their backs, and lets em off the hook. He can beat that kid!

165 Kennedy 99- maybe best win of the night for us? Did not seem like there was ever a doubt in his mind that he was going to win! Needs to finish one of the shots he was in deep on!!!

174 Brands- gets the 83! took the NC to the brink and maybe even out danced the punk at the end there!

184 Rhoads- I give him a 100 for going out there, not sure what is up with Assad more importantly?

197 Warner-70, and this is why he sometimes takes some shit on here! Just has a way to screw things up!!! He was riding the crap outa that butterball stuffed turkey. Then he appears to try some kind of pull back tilt maybe? The problem is, I do not ever recall seeing him hit this? Then you are everything but out in the first 20-30 seconds of the 3rd and somehow you just keep doing about everything wrong that you can!!! It gets worse there as they get into their stall ride, but you have to find a way to get out!

Heavy BIG Cass 70 About the worst I can remember seeing him. Had nothing that would allow him to win the match? Even when he was told to let him up in 3rd. What on earth was he doing? Never even tried to get to the tie-up that allowed him to beat KerKin in the past!

Disclaimer- I usually like to take some time to think about it, but I am to wired up to go to bed so....

125 Lee -90 Got a little sloppy, got taken down, got cradled. He has to eliminate that crap! He got the Tech, and you could clearly see, IOWA was going to get "homered" by this POS Ref.!!! Lee wanted the fall, but the great Fale sent this "wire" character out and I guess they must of said something to the official prior. As soon as Lee got a wing/Bar and started to work it, the POS stopped it!!! Ref-F

133 Teske- 50 here is where the "homer" calls continued and it clearly effected the match. You could say maybe??? Teske deserved a stall call, but ok, lets see if this POS official is consistent and fair? He was NOT!!! In any case, once Teske was hit for the 3rd time late in the 3rd. He needed to play the edge with about 23 seconds to go. Even if he got hit again, he would have kept it to 3 if my math and memory are correct. In any case, DO NOT GET PINNED!!! Ref-F

141 Woods- 98, looked REALy good, in control, beat a ranked guy with the crowd going wild! Ref-F where were the stalls when our got took like 5 shots to zero???

149 Murin - 95 another solid performance here. Ranked guy, wrestled smart, in control, tuff, keep it rolling kid!!!

157 Cobe-75 man O-MAN did he have that kid dead to rights with that bear hug! Jumped outa my seat! He seems to do that a little to often. Has guys locked up, thrown to their backs, and lets em off the hook. He can beat that kid!

165 Kennedy 99- maybe best win of the night for us? Did not seem like there was ever a doubt in his mind that he was going to win! Needs to finish one of the shots he was in deep on!!!

174 Brands- gets the 83! took the NC to the brink and maybe even out danced the punk at the end there!

184 Rhoads- I give him a 100 for going out there, not sure what is up with Assad more importantly?

197 Warner-70, and this is why he sometimes takes some shit on here! Just has a way to screw things up!!! He was riding the crap outa that butterball stuffed turkey. Then he appears to try some kind of pull back tilt maybe? The problem is, I do not ever recall seeing him hit this? Then you are everything but out in the first 20-30 seconds of the 3rd and somehow you just keep doing about everything wrong that you can!!! It gets worse there as they get into their stall ride, but you have to find a way to get out!

Heavy BIG Cass 70 About the worst I can remember seeing him. Had nothing that would allow him to win the match? Even when he was told to let him up in 3rd. What on earth was he doing? Never even tried to get to the tie-up that allowed him to beat KerKin in the past!
That damn butterball stuffed turkey!

Bad At Math GIF by Dropout.tv

125 - a- gave up a takedown and a cradle but dominated his way to a tech fall in the first regardless. I'll get heat for this, but those pd's were all right calls by the book. Spencer always runs his bars at illegal angles but usually is so quick that refs don't have time to stop it before the guy is on his back.

133 - c. Outgunned but also minimal effort to even try to win.

141 - a. Another great match from woods who has shown he's the guy at this weight imo.

149 - a. Gritty and good win by murin. In deep a few times and definitely drove the action.

157 - b-. Good effort but not quite enough. Thought he'd score a couple of times but psu was crafty and found a way out. Still a decent performance.

165 - a. Great match with some solid scrambles with Mat game being the difference here. Great win, maybe first of many vs facundo in this rivalry.

174 - c-. Really didn't do much and was obviously trying to keep it close until the end. Brands is going to be a tough put for anyone at 174 but needs to find his offense.

184 - c. Went as expected tbh, hard to grade given how outgunned he was. Still, respect for him going out there to battle.

197 - d. Warner is Warner. Still minimal offense despite being right there with everyone.

285 - d. One of the worst efforts from Cass this season in all positions. Really thought he'd get a w here but had nothing for kirk.

125- A- without the pin but the ref was only going to allow sweet talk to get him on his back so can't fault Spencer too much. Carl using a different guy in a big dual is old hat. Has done it a few times if he thinks he can pull one out with it. Did it vs fosu a couple times. Vespa a little stronger than Steen, probably has a decent cradle, Spencer has gotten sloppy and gotten in cradles before so practice nothing all week but trying to hit a home run. Was only a bunt single and a good reminder to Spencer to be ready. A quick shot by Purdue tore his other ACL in 2021 at big tens.

133- would have given a B- if he didn't blow it late. Going with a D- after getting pinned. He was not competitive with RBY and not giving up virtually uncontested TDs is not the same as competitive. We still really don't know where Teske stands. Should know a bit more after Minnesota and Michigan.

141- l'll go with an A- here. He controlled the match. Could probably widen the margin for an A.

149- I don't usually give an A for a regular decision but I thought Max did a really nice job vs a guy many were picking to beat him.

157- going with a B as he was more competitive than I thought he would be going in but being close and losing ends up being Jerod Verkleeran.

165- Like 149 I'm giving PK an A here. I thought it was his best match of the year.

174- I'm giving an ultra rare B+ here in a loss because Starocci is good and also because Starocci is a douche and it was entertaining to see him frustrated.

184- I tip my cap for taking the mat. Not really a grade relevant situation.

197- C- Familiar result.

285- C-, really was never a threat to score or win the match. Standing around playing chess isn't a winning plan in this matchup. He needs to at least get a strategy that makes winning a possibility.

Watching last night, it is just amazing how many wrestlers they have that were top 5 PFP in their lineup.

Anybody have their PFP numbers handy? I always have a hard time finding them.

Watching last night, it is just amazing how many wrestlers they have that were top 5 PFP in their lineup.

Anybody have their PFP numbers handy? I always have a hard time finding them.
I look em up, Google “wrestlers name recruiting.” If not Flo by year.

Cass really surprised me. It seems like every time Cass wrestles Kirk he becomes more and more timid and wrestles too cautiously. Kirk is long and lean and when he leans forward it is a long stretch to get in on his legs but we've seen others do it. I would have liked to see Tony take some lightning fast shots (maybe on a slide-by) and see if he could get to the legs there... Gotta try something, especially after being ridden the whole 2nd period. The Refs did not help by allowing the 2 minute ankle-ride by Kirk. You can't wrestle timidly for 7 minutes and expect to win.... No shame in getting beat but you gotta put it all out there...

Last edited:
Cass really surprised me. It seems like every time Cass wrestles Kirk he becomes more and more timid and wrestles too cautiously. Kirk is long and lean and when he leans forward it is a long stretch to get in on his legs but we've seen others do it. I would have liked to see Tony take some lightning fast shots (maybe on a slide-by) and see if he could get to the legs there... Gotta try something, especially after being ridden the whole 2nd period. The Refs did not help by allowing the 2 minute ankle-ride by Kirk. You can't wrestle timidly for 7 minutes and expect to win.... No shame in getting beat but you gotta put it all out there...

After watching their last match I was t surprised by the match at all. I felt it was pretty predictable. I like Cass, but he is not there with the very best.

Iowa looked prepared. What’s up with two of the first five PSU with their knees wrapped? Dodgeball must be dangerous.

If PSU looked like that (vulnerable) with more top ten p4p HS wrestlers in their line-up than the next top three programs combined I have to say, meh.
If that’s how they looked…. how did WE look? This is a really odd take, imo.

Warner needs to figure out how to avoid getting driven out of bounds every time he tries to escape Dean's stall ride........that would go a long ways for starters.

125- A- without the pin but the ref was only going to allow sweet talk to get him on his back so can't fault Spencer too much. Carl using a different guy in a big dual is old hat. Has done it a few times if he thinks he can pull one out with it. Did it vs fosu a couple times. Vespa a little stronger than Steen, probably has a decent cradle, Spencer has gotten sloppy and gotten in cradles before so practice nothing all week but trying to hit a home run. Was only a bunt single and a good reminder to Spencer to be ready. A quick shot by Purdue tore his other ACL in 2021 at big tens.

133- would have given a B- if he didn't blow it late. Going with a D- after getting pinned. He was not competitive with RBY and not giving up virtually uncontested TDs is not the same as competitive. We still really don't know where Teske stands. Should know a bit more after Minnesota and Michigan.

141- l'll go with an A- here. He controlled the match. Could probably widen the margin for an A.

149- I don't usually give an A for a regular decision but I thought Max did a really nice job vs a guy many were picking to beat him.

157- going with a B as he was more competitive than I thought he would be going in but being close and losing ends up being Jerod Verkleeran.

165- Like 149 I'm giving PK an A here. I thought it was his best match of the year.

174- I'm giving an ultra rare B+ here in a loss because Starocci is good and also because Starocci is a douche and it was entertaining to see him frustrated.

184- I tip my cap for taking the mat. Not really a grade relevant situation.

197- C- Familiar result.

285- C-, really was never a threat to score or win the match. Standing around playing chess isn't a winning plan in this matchup. He needs to at least get a strategy that makes winning a possibility.
i think spencer should retire the splits unless in emergencies. so many things can go wrong for him. we’ve seen him cradled and torn his acl in that position before. now almost cradled again. just happy he didn’t get hurt.

you’re spencer lee. you don’t need to put yourself in danger there. get to a shin whizzer, and work for a stalemate or just give up the takedown.

i think spencer should retire the splits unless in emergencies. so many things can go wrong for him. we’ve seen him cradled and torn his acl in that position before. now almost cradled again. just happy he didn’t get hurt.

you’re spencer lee. you don’t need to put yourself in danger there. get to a shin whizzer, and work for a stalemate or just give up the takedown.
Couldn’t agree more. I prefer to give up the takedown. It’s not like he can’t come back from 2 points down against anyone in the country. Only one I’d even consider fighting it against is glory or whoever makes the finals. Then, whatever.

125 - a- gave up a takedown and a cradle but dominated his way to a tech fall in the first regardless. I'll get heat for this, but those pd's were all right calls by the book. Spencer always runs his bars at illegal angles but usually is so quick that refs don't have time to stop it before the guy is on his back.
^^Yes (though I don’t like absolutisms and would say “frequently” rather than “always”).

Not only is he often quick enough to avoid the PD call, but quick enough in getting the rest of the body turning so that the shoulder doesn’t get injured. So, while I agree with the PD call on principle, at least the repeated “getting away with it” is not resulting in injuries.

Reactions: Scruddy
wow is Brands painful to watch. You would think by this time in his career he would have learned a go to shot or at least an attempt. Don't tell me how good the guys he's wrestling are! I believe the Penn State 125lb got a takedown against a pretty good wrestler.
Guess we will see in a week how boring he is. Goofers are hardly must watch TV.

The two best moments were:
  • Max sealing the deal late rather than shutting it down with a one point lead
  • Nelson mocking the National Champ for posing after a weak win
From being there, I would say RBY’s pin and the initial takedown by Vespa had the crowd pumped the most. Iowa’s best moments were Murin and Kennedy’s wins.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Real Woods and Bartlett is not a toss up
By most markers a matchup of #2 vs #4, both undefeated is probably a toss up, at least on paper.

This isn't a Lee vs anyone or RBY vs #4 situation. They are muti-time champions and considerable favorites over most guys at their weight despite the rankings. Woods has not earned that.

The next time they matchup, Woods will be considered a slight favorite based on his win.

We shall see come March.
Typically I agree that PSU is scary in March but I think Real is too smart/savvy to get into an upper body position with Bartlett. Bartlett isn't taking Woods down with any takedowns below the knee.

Could see Bartlett doing that to some others in Tulsa but not Real.

By most markers a matchup of #2 vs #4, both undefeated is probably a toss up, at least on paper.

This isn't a Lee vs anyone or RBY vs #4 situation. They are muti-time champions and considerable favorites over most guys at their weight despite the rankings. Woods has not earned that.

The next time they matchup, Woods will be considered a slight favorite based on his win.
Never really felt he was in trouble. He probably beats Bartlett 7-8 times out of ten. IMO the only guy who scares me at 141 is Alirez.

Reactions: js8793
RBY-12
Bartlett-7
Van Ness-5
Haines-7
Facundo-2
Starocci-9
Brooks-2
Kerkvliet-1

Dean was much lower
Thanks!

That is an awful lot of fire power. Although Dean wasn’t ranked highly in HS (way below PSUs standards), he was a national finalist before going to PSU. And Beard, their top 10 PFP guy, transferred out and is currently ranked #3 at 197.

They have an embarrassment of riches. It is amazing we were even in this meet.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
This is how it will stand until Iowa consistently lures top 15 pfp talent on the regs. Walk on room guys make as much noise in March as mid level guys. And we usually have a number of mid level guys penciled in for breakout years.

At what point did you feel Bartlett was a serious threat to win? Or for that matter, has anything at all for Woods other than a possible counter? Rankings don’t always indicate closeness. Would you consider #1 Lee vs. #2 Glory a toss up?

Reactions: BGon4ND
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT