ADVERTISEMENT

Fight Night

Your entire post is about Gilman and Metcalf, and then you put that at the end. What else are we supposed to think?
I really didn't think it was that hard to follow but I'll type a little slower this time. I was trying to figure out besides the fact Metcalf is bigger what made him know that Metcalf would be able to beat Gilman within an inch of his life? And that Gilman's straight forward approach & making his comments to someone's face is better then running around talking crap behind their back.

Reactions: bbwretler
I was at the Knight Hawk last night and Gilman's presentation was uncalled for. You can defend him all you want, talk about how he says what he feels blah blah blah. Last night was not the place to be throwing around the F-bomb and encouraging people to meet in the parking lot to fight. The crowd was filled with young wrestlers and fans. If an ISU or UNI representative would have made those comments using that language the hawkeye faithful would be on fire.
What are young wrestlers doing at a bar on a school night?

This is exactly my whole question? When did fight night become a family function? Wednesday night at 8:15pm in a small town run down bar, and people want to complain about language? You are in a bar, I bet there was drinking involved too. How could grown adults be drinking beer infront of impressionable kids? Sounds to me like fight night go turned into the 1990's fight night. People will complain about everything these days. Love them or Hate them, people will always be on both sides of this debate. This doesn't change anything

He should have had Downey there to fight in the parking lot with him. It’d have made for an all time classic night

Reactions: Dagboi
Probably not Gilman’s style, but I’m picturing this song playing as he drops the mic.

Well, wasn't most of the uproar about what gilman said was about the language he used in the bar?

Of course it was. I see uproar on my Facebook feed by people who are racist, cheat on their wives, and use profanity every sentence but “oh the children and their precious ears!” Hey morons don’t have your kids at a bar at night time and expect to hear the same language you hear at church.

The way you put it, doesn't sound very funny tbh.
That is kind of why I am giving him a pass. It is hard to be funny and I think he just did not have great material and did not deliver it well. I hate to think he was up there trying to start fights and picking on people and making malicious fun of people. That just does not seem like something he would do.

After reading all this thread. I think we should all meet in cavers parking lot. Than make teams like team Gilman team Doug team dresser hell make D3 team and fight it out. If we can get carver to open concession stand this could be good money maker for HWC

Reactions: Dagboi and Huck
So you guys have never taken your kids to a sports bar? Somehow I doubt that. Talk about grasping at straws.

Are we the freaking "us vs the world" program or not? If so, than Gilman is the perfect spokesperson. If not, than I guess I now know why "recruiting over" and "Iowa isn't a top 10 wrestling state" are acceptable excuses now.

Reactions: Hawkeye Till I Die
You use that term "ALL" and I don't think it means what you think it means. Dresser and Schwab have both gone after Iowa in public venues. Dresser called Iowa "oranges," short for pussies. Schwab runs his twitter fingers and accuses Iowa of ducking UNI. As a judge would say in a court, they opened this topic of discussion. So at an event that is known for trash talking, Gilman showed up and did his thing right to their face. What Dresser did in the 80s or Schwab did in the 90s has nothing to do with it. Bigger picture...they will always be Hawkeyes but its not like they didn't start the fire on this one.

Must be Air Force math when "oranges" is short for "pussies". :)

The first half of this event is for wrestling fans and families to be able to hear the area High School Coaches talk about their teams and coaching staffs. Good stuff for anyone that likes talking wrestling. Then there is a break and the who's who of college coaches have that same chance. The three big schools have in the past roasted one another with last year a little tamer. Schwab went first and always states he would like it to be like the old times. KJ was always funny. Gilman just did the normal roasting but with no smiling and a lot of cockiness. He did have a lot of fuel to use. Just seemed way to serious for a f** night. This event is to promote the sport and I for one hope it keeps going. Gable , Siddens and McCool where some of the people in attendance

So you guys have never taken your kids to a sports bar? Somehow I doubt that. Talk about grasping at straws.
Not on a school night to an event called fight night. They were giving free tetanus shots at the door so at least them kids got something out of it.

I was at the Knight Hawk last night and Gilman's presentation was uncalled for. You can defend him all you want, talk about how he says what he feels blah blah blah. Last night was not the place to be throwing around the F-bomb and encouraging people to meet in the parking lot to fight. The crowd was filled with young wrestlers and fans. If an ISU or UNI representative would have made those comments using that language the hawkeye faithful would be on fire.

LOL, the young are so scarred.

Reactions: SansSouci
Not on a school night to an event called fight night. They were giving free tetanus shots at the door so at least them kids got something out of it.

Who cares what’s called? The purpose of the event is clearly defined. And also...ZOMG A SCHOOL NIGHT!!?? Kids never, ever attend events on school nights.

To me this is grasping at straws. Yes we all have taken our kids to sports bars, but you cant sit there and act surprised when some F-Bombs are dropped.

To me it says a lot more about a parent if they cant look down at their kid after hearing an F-Bomb and tell him, "We dont say that" and the kid understand than the parent who feels the need to personally attack the person using the language.

And how did going to a hole in the wall bar in podunk to an event called "Fight Night" looking for that work out for them?
You are showing you lack of intelligence now and disrepctful POS attitude. Good for you. Wanna go to the parking lot and figure this thing out? I'm sure that's next out of your mouth.

Reactions: edquinn06
To me this is grasping at straws. Yes we all have taken our kids to sports bars, but you cant sit there and act surprised when some F-Bombs are dropped.

To me it says a lot more about a parent if they cant look down at their kid after hearing an F-Bomb and tell him, "We dont say that" and the kid understand than the parent who feels the need to personally attack the person using the language.

“Bar” and “school night” are the straw grasps. I’m not completely sure about the kid and profanity angle but overall his act balanced between unfunny and just not appropriate for the event. And maybe if we dismiss it as “that’s just Gilman” we should consider who decided it was a good idea to put him on the stage.

You are showing you lack of intelligence now and disrepctful POS attitude. Good for you. Wanna go to the parking lot and figure this thing out? I'm sure that's next out of your mouth.
Relax man. Wanna go out in the parking lot came out of your mouth first.

“Bar” and “school night” are the straw grasps. I’m not completely sure about the kid and profanity angle but overall his act balanced between unfunny and just not appropriate for the event. And maybe if we dismiss it as “that’s just Gilman” we should consider who decided it was a good idea to put him on the stage.
For a guy that constantly belittle's people and tries to correct them you seem to be holding a bag of oranges in this thread. You going soft son?!

Who cares what’s called? The purpose of the event is clearly defined. And also...ZOMG A SCHOOL NIGHT!!?? Kids never, ever attend events on school nights.
Not in bars with people pounding booze. What is zomg? You don't like bad language or Gilman's antics and don't want kids to hear it then stay at home safe and sound.

Reactions: acuhawk
Other than him going at Metcalf, who I love, none of this bothered me. It's a smack talk event, and Gilman went and talked smack. A lot. And for anyone to cry foul on Schwab or (especially) Dresser's behalf is rich. Both have taken shots at Iowa for years now.

Does this mean it didn't go well for them?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT