ADVERTISEMENT

Filip Rebraca

Filip looks a legit 6'9" but definitely could be thicker. Bet he's lifting extensively now.

Had a friend down there pass Josh and said he looks much thinner. If nothing else we've got 15 fouls and we can hope the other guys don't have good foul shooters. Filip sounds passable or better. The team rises and falls with Joe T, Keegan, Patrick and maybe Jordan if he bombs reliably and Kris as a 1 player two position reserve that needs to impact the game when he's on the floor (and will do so). The centers just can't get us killed inside.
Thanks for that update on Ogundele.

Rebraca is a center in a position-less basketball sense; someone will be labeled ”center.” He’ll be more than passable in my opinion at the position. I watched several of his games. He has good offensive skills, and is decent defensively. He held himself pretty competitively against Minnesota and Gonzaga. His goal (if I recall correctly) was to get up to 230-235 pounds.

Mulvey is one of those rare youngsters whose defense is probably better than his offense at this stage of his game.

Ogundele could be a diamond in the rough, especially with his weight better distributed into muscle.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I would disagree, but reasonable people can have differing opinions. The biggest thing would be whether he can competently guard a 6-9, 6-10-ish post player. On offense, Fran could go with 5 out if Iowa has the right skill set.
Oh, no, not on Hawkeye Report! All kidding aside though I do agree!😀

Iowa is going to struggle against the Big Ten level big men inside. However, a lot of teams will struggle with Iowa's perimeter scoring and driving/cutting into the deep post before the big guys get set.
Iowa having to outscore teams in bball is as Iowa as them having to give up less points in football

It's just another typical game :)

Reactions: littlez
Gotta give the kid credit. Got some key buckets at the end of the game and is taking responsibility for his FT shooting that almost cost us. He wasn't getting a lot of love from the refs and is going to have to play above his size in conference play like he did tonight.

Reactions: 24 so far
Iowa is going to struggle against the Big Ten level big men inside. However, a lot of teams will struggle with Iowa's perimeter scoring and driving/cutting into the deep post before the big guys get set.

I've been thinking the same thing. Iowa is going to struggle in the post, I like Rebraca but he's going to get eaten alive by the bigs of the Big Ten. I wish Nunge would have stayed.

I've been thinking the same thing. Iowa is going to struggle in the post, I like Rebraca but he's going to get eaten alive by the bigs of the Big Ten. I wish Nunge would have stayed.
Not so sure about that. He's not a star but he will have some good games. Kofi and the big guys from Purdue are going to eat a lot of guys alive, along w/Dickinson. We're a pretty versatile team, especially on the offensive end. He's a stop gap for a year, and he played a very solid game last night. Hit a few big shots at the end. We're going to need Patrick at 6-9 to be tougher and rebound better on the defensive end. Not sure that's going to happen but we need it to.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Probably better to accept, that no matter who we would have at the 5, they would get eaten alive by Kofi, Dickinson, and Edey. As for the rest of the games, we will match up better and likely have more success. I can already see this board after the Purdue and Illinois games bitching about our Center spot. Should be wonderful.

Reactions: littlez
Probably better to accept, that no matter who we would have at the 5, they would get eaten alive by Kofi, Dickinson, and Edey. As for the rest of the games, we will match up better and likely have more success. I can already see this board after the Purdue and Illinois games bitching about our Center spot. Should be wonderful.
I'm prepared for the backlash. If Rebraca is getting abused down low expect Ogundele to eat some minutes just to eat up some time on the floor and take some fouls.

Keegan drew a number of fouls on some of Virginia's bigs. He should be able to attack the basket and that could be something that impacts Purdue and Illinois.

Don't expect a win but if this exact team shows up against Purdue, without a 2nd half all out defensive collapse, then Iowa can be competitive and maybe keep the game within 10 points in the 2H.

Its not necessary to let that happen if you pressure the ballhandler and then swarm the post.

But I don't have faith that Iowa will have the focus on defense necessary to execute well enough to make anything like that work.

Probably just do some lazy zone bullshit and try to outscore them.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
I'm prepared for the backlash. If Rebraca is getting abused down low expect Ogundele to eat some minutes just to eat up some time on the floor and take some fouls.

Keegan drew a number of fouls on some of Virginia's bigs. He should be able to attack the basket and that could be something that impacts Purdue and Illinois.

Don't expect a win but if this exact team shows up against Purdue, without a 2nd half all out defensive collapse, then Iowa can be competitive and maybe keep the game within 10 points in the 2H.
Assuming, of course, that the Big Ten officials will call fouls on Purdue, Michigan or Illinois big men.

Reactions: perryhawk
I think Rebraca has settled in and playing pretty solid. I think the first few games were rough because he was trying too hard. Thought he was great at Va Tech (minus the FTs). Playing with a good pace and seems things have slowed down for him.

I think Rebraca has settled in and playing pretty solid. I think the first few games were rough because he was trying too hard. Thought he was great at Va Tech (minus the FTs). Playing with a good pace and seems things have slowed down for him.
Hawk’s played Virginia not Va Tech.

He looks like Robb Stark from Game of Thrones.

Arya Stark
5844abef73755.image.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: GoB1G and mstp1992
Him and Joe had a couple nice pick and roll actions. Hopefully see more of that. Nice to see him be so efficient going 6 of 8, he’s going to need to be that efficient to be effective with the limited amount of touches he gets. I think he’s going to contribute a lot more than what we’ve seen to this point.

Good game from Filip.

Question.... multiple posters still spelling it PHILIP and CHRIS (Murray)

Which incorrect spelling sticks around the longest?

Reactions: topherchris20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT