ADVERTISEMENT

Filip Rebraca

Boy that would be a painful rejection...
The way Fran utilizes players like him has to be a huge draw. Fran LOVES versatile players. And there are a ton of minutes up for grabs. I think he picks Iowa 🤞

This is big for multiple reasons. Obviously he adds much needed depth in the front court. But this is also one of the first real positives since the NCAA tournament. Negativity has a way of spiraling, and Iowa has taken plenty of bad shots from the Oregon loss, to the Nunge transfer, to the Uncle Joe-gate. In leu of the series of bad events, if Rebraca had picked Minnesota over Iowa, it would have been a complete and total gut punch.

Happy for the get.

Well done by Fran and staff. I will give credit where it is due here. Rebraca is a huge get given the acute need. Listened to TK's podcast yesterday and sounds like he has some moxie to his game and works the glass.

It would be great to add a shooter, but I am not as concerned after landing Rebraca. This gives Fran a lot of flexibility with the rest of the roster. A lineup of Rebraca, Keegan, PMac, Perkins and Joe T. / Ulis is intriguing.

Decent player but I don't see how it fills our biggest need of a big man unless they just aren't planning on playing big next year.

Decent player but I don't see how it fills our biggest need of a big man unless they just aren't planning on playing big next year.
Gotta believe they aren't going to use much of a traditional center next year. If that's the case, Filip Rebraca can definitely serve as needed experience in the 5 spot.

Remember, Baylor's tallest starter last year was Flo Thamba at 6-10. Houston's tallest starter was Reggie Chaney at 6-8. UCLA's tallest starter was Cody Riley at 6-9, 225 (the same reported height and weight as Rebraca). You can play relatively small and be a good team. Obviously Rebraca needs the offensive and defensive tools to be a real factor, but his size and experience alone make this a good addition.

Will be real interesting to see how things play out. Fran could try and play things as he has traditionally using his young centers to see how that works or can change it up and play up to 4 guys who are athletic and are 6’9” with a quick short point guard. Practice should be interesting next season

Foreign player. He was eligible elsewhere, but I expect now that he's a Hawk the NCAA will rule him ineligible because his cooking class in high school made a flourless cake instead of one with flour.

Gotta believe they aren't going to use much of a traditional center next year. If that's the case, Filip Rebraca can definitely serve as needed experience in the 5 spot.

Remember, Baylor's tallest starter last year was Flo Thamba at 6-10. Houston's tallest starter was Reggie Chaney at 6-8. UCLA's tallest starter was Cody Riley at 6-9, 225 (the same reported height and weight as Rebraca). You can play relatively small and be a good team. Obviously Rebraca needs the offensive and defensive tools to be a real factor, but his size and experience alone make this a good addition.
I love this pick-up by the Hawks. Versatile player, reminds me a bit of Aaron White. He held his own against other proven big men this past season, too. Wish his FT % was better, but...

I think Fran can come up with a lot of good, athletic combinations with the current roster. Keegan and Patrick have shown they both belong in the Big Ten. I think Kris Murray will get a chance to show his skill set as well. Perkins and Ulis are athletic. Sandfort, in my opinion, will be a pleasant surprise. He wakes up being able to shoot the ball. Reminds me a bit of Kyle Korver.

Reactions: Willin

So, having another Adam Woodbury or Luka Garza manning the middle of our ZONE has paid dividends for Iowa during the Fran era?
It's about time Iowa changes it up and plays small and fast if you want to believe that having four players on the floor that range from 6-10 to 6-8 is playing small.

Reactions: RocknRollface
So, having another Adam Woodbury or Luka Garza manning the middle of our ZONE has paid dividends for Iowa during the Fran era?
It's about time Iowa changes it up and plays small and fast if you want to believe that having four players on the floor that range from 6-10 to 6-8 is playing small.
I would call that long and small. This group may really struggle rebounding due to the lack of wide bodies.

I would call that long and small. This group may really struggle rebounding due to the lack of wide bodies.
Or maybe not, we won't really know how this team will rebound against other teams until they get to play. How many wide bodies are still in the Big Ten? Purdue has that 7-4 player, but almost everyone else has lost their wide bodies. Can only hope that Kofi hires an agent....

So, just my 2 cents.....a front line of 6'9" 6'9" and 6'8" is not small.....there may not be a traditional center, but when guys are long and athletic (Patrick & both Murray's) they can certainly negate, or neutralize to an extent, a 6-10 to 7-0 foot guy.....unless the guy is too physical. So, IF BIG IF Josh O develops and get's in serious physical shape, then we have some roster flexibility to combat the other bigs.

Filipi R doesn't appear to be as athletic as the other forwards but might be a little more physical.......at this point my only worry is that we have enough 3 pt shooting to provide an outside threat and then coaching this roster up to playing defense the way that they are capable.

I believe Rebraca will start at the 5. And in cases where you play a michigan or illinois with ginormous centers, mulvey/ogundule will get more time to bang with those guys. Osu had quite a lot of success playing liddel at the 5 this yr and I think he’s 6’9 as well? Ive said it in other threads, in most conferences starting a 6’9 center is just fine. In the BIG you’ll get in trouble at times, but having 2 backups with good size should combat that pretty well, we saw that with joshO’s limited time guarding cofi. Getting Rebraca is a huge piece filled

I believe Rebraca will start at the 5. And in cases where you play a michigan or illinois with ginormous centers, mulvey/ogundule will get more time to bang with those guys. Osu had quite a lot of success playing liddel at the 5 this yr and I think he’s 6’9 as well? Ive said it in other threads, in most conferences starting a 6’9 center is just fine. In the BIG you’ll get in trouble at times, but having 2 backups with good size should combat that pretty well, we saw that with joshO’s limited time guarding cofi. Getting Rebraca is a huge piece filled
Agree, getting Rebraca is really going to allow so much flexbility. Josh, Rebraca, Mulvey, Murrays and Pat all manning the 3-5 is solid depth even without Weezy.

Reactions: mstp1992
Keegan averaged more rebounds per minute than Garza. Rebounding is more about positioning and desire than height.
Iowa doesn't teach positioning. They teach touch and go. I agree, rebounding is all about mindset and desire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT