ADVERTISEMENT

Filip Rebraca

Decent player but I don't see how it fills our biggest need of a big man unless they just aren't planning on playing big next year.

This is such an interesting comment. Most fans were fawning over the smaller, quicker teams during the tourney. We need to be more like them!! Now these same fans(not picking on you) say we absolutely need big men!!

I would posit that the smaller, quicker teams are better equipped for tournament runs. Maybe that means a 4th or 5th place B1G season but I would accept that trade off for more Sweet 16 runs.

Please explain this touch and go.
When I was coaching, the staff I coached on was able to watch an Iowa practice in person. After practice we were asking questions and one of the questions that was asked was, can you talk about some of your boxing out drills. The staff said they have their guys go touch the guy they are guarding and then go to the rim. They also said not a lot of staffs in the country teach boxing out drills, it is mostly touch and go.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u
This is such an interesting comment. Most fans were fawning over the smaller, quicker teams during the tourney. We need to be more like them!! Now these same fans(not picking on you) say we absolutely need big men!!

I would posit that the smaller, quicker teams are better equipped for tournament runs. Maybe that means a 4th or 5th place B1G season but I would accept that trade off for more Sweet 16 runs.
Agreed. And Iowa also has 2 big men, albeit inexperienced, in Big O and Mulva (sorry, could.not.resist). I think getting Rebraca is an excellent way to bring them along.

When I was coaching, the staff I coached on was able to watch an Iowa practice in person. After practice we were asking questions and one of the questions that was asked was, can you talk about some of your boxing out drills. The staff said they have their guys go touch the guy they are guarding and then go to the rim. They also said not a lot of staffs in the country teach boxing out drills, it is mostly touch and go.
I googled it and no such thing came up. So I am not sure where it came from.

I think this is spot on. It’s a fine line between creating a roster to compete in the BIG with its physicality, yet still having a team that can compete in the ncaa tourney. I think it’s part of the reason for the lack of success the BIG has had in the ncaa’s. This addition adds a lot of roster flexibility.

I have seen Iowa players boxing out so I guess I am confused as to what you are talking about. I'll pay closer attention to this next season.
Maybe he’s referencing the wings? Centers/forwards typically have to box out since they’re playing in the paint. Cant really “touch and go” when you’re right under the hoop, they have to wall off in that situation. I can definitely understand the wings just finding their guy and quickly “touching“ them then pursuing the ball.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I have seen Iowa players boxing out so I guess I am confused as to what you are talking about. I'll pay closer attention to this next season.
Guys will box out on their own, but they do not teach it. They basically use there forearm to the chest and then release to go get the ball.

Reactions: mstp1992
So, having another Adam Woodbury or Luka Garza manning the middle of our ZONE has paid dividends for Iowa during the Fran era?
It's about time Iowa changes it up and plays small and fast if you want to believe that having four players on the floor that range from 6-10 to 6-8 is playing small.

I agree with where you are going but I would rather have a guy that is 6'7 or 6'8 and can jump out of the gym and play D than another spot up shooter.

It was the right guy to get. We have Mulvey as a true center and we now have a guy that came play center when we go smaller.

So, having another Adam Woodbury or Luka Garza manning the middle of our ZONE has paid dividends for Iowa during the Fran era?
It's about time Iowa changes it up and plays small and fast if you want to believe that having four players on the floor that range from 6-10 to 6-8 is playing small.
Totally agree.

Its a guards game and if you have forwards that can switch onto guards your defense will gain allot of stops vs the few post up buckets you may give up.

Most teams don't have a consistent post threat and if they do, you swarm them with doubles.

Guys like Koffi can't pass and will turn it over more often than score if you hard double.

I believe Rebraca will start at the 5. And in cases where you play a michigan or illinois with ginormous centers, mulvey/ogundule will get more time to bang with those guys. Osu had quite a lot of success playing liddel at the 5 this yr and I think he’s 6’9 as well? Ive said it in other threads, in most conferences starting a 6’9 center is just fine. In the BIG you’ll get in trouble at times, but having 2 backups with good size should combat that pretty well, we saw that with joshO’s limited time guarding cofi. Getting Rebraca is a huge piece filled
Liddell is listed at 6'7 i think and he's probably a little shorter really.

I will also back this. Luka Garza was once in a lifetime player. I would take him as my number one Hawkeyes basketball fantasy draft pick every year between now and infinity if I could. But he’s gone to bigger and better things and Iowa was exposed by a shorter, more athletic Oregon team when it counted most. I’m open to seeing how Iowa plays next year without the big man being the team savior and focal point. This guy at five is fine by me.

So... about as tall as Greg Brunner?
The only problem is, Brunner had about 20 pounds on Rebraca. (listed weight of 245 vs. 223). Even Ryan Kriener, whos game I think Rebraca resembles, weighed in the 250s.

Lots of factors go into rebounding as this thread has pointed out, but I think people are forgetting how valuable strength is. Forwards like E.J. Liddell and Trevion Williams are both quick and athletic, but also powerful. Garza made up for his athleticism with raw strength allowing him to just bully people for positioning. I like the Rebraca get, but I hope he can put on a little weight to battle with the B10 bigs.

Would Iowa fans rather have a B1G championship with a first round loss to a MAC, MVC, or Big Sky type of school or a 4th place B1G season and a Sweet 16?

I would seriously like to win another conference title in my lifetime. And I'd like to win it outright. No ties, no questions. It's become my Moby Dick.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I googled it and no such thing came up. So I am not sure where it came from.

This should have came up ... :)

R-4388468-1363552462-8646.jpeg.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk and mstp1992
Coaches generally do not teach this skill as it should be developed by the time a kid reaches the D1 level. They might touch base on it, but in practice it is a waste of time when you need to be game planning. It is even that way at the HS varsity level. If the kids have the skills, when keep drilling them on it when they can work on something else? At least that is the thought process.

Reactions: BBHawk
Coaches generally do not teach this skill as it should be developed by the time a kid reaches the D1 level. They might touch base on it, but in practice it is a waste of time when you need to be game planning. It is even that way at the HS varsity level. If the kids have the skills, when keep drilling them on it when they can work on something else? At least that is the thought process.
This makes sense. Thanks!

Would Iowa fans rather have a B1G championship with a first round loss to a MAC, MVC, or Big Sky type of school or a 4th place B1G season and a Sweet 16?
A Big Ten Championship with a first round loss (assuming this means a 1 or 2 seed losing to a 16 or 15) would leave me with a massively bitter taste in my mouth and be a huge black mark on a great season. You wouldn’t be able to mention Iowa’s BTC without also mentioning “but in the tournament...”

Postseason success means momentum going into the offseason, can turn an okay year into a good year, or a good year into a great year. Not to mention that it is the time where the most eyes are on your team

Option B all day

Reactions: AlvySinger
I had a hell of fame coach in high school. He was known for teaching defense and rebounding. He always said rebounding was about heart and attitude. He said when the ball goes up, find your man and stick your ass into him first before you go after the ball. I was 6’3” with a 40 in. vertical. I led the league twice in rebounding. Not because I could jump, but because I always remembered to make contact first. Plus if I didn’t, I would get my butt chewed out and the next practice would not be too fun.

I had a hell of fame coach in high school. He was known for teaching defense and rebounding. He always said rebounding was about heart and attitude. He said when the ball goes up, find your man and stick your ass into him first before you go after the ball. I was 6’3” with a 40 in. vertical. I led the league twice in rebounding. Not because I could jump, but because I always remembered to make contact first. Plus if I didn’t, I would get my butt chewed out and the next practice would not be too fun.
Hall of Fame. Sorry

Reactions: amahawk
The only problem is, Brunner had about 20 pounds on Rebraca. (listed weight of 245 vs. 223). Even Ryan Kriener, whos game I think Rebraca resembles, weighed in the 250s.

Lots of factors go into rebounding as this thread has pointed out, but I think people are forgetting how valuable strength is. Forwards like E.J. Liddell and Trevion Williams are both quick and athletic, but also powerful. Garza made up for his athleticism with raw strength allowing him to just bully people for positioning. I like the Rebraca get, but I hope he can put on a little weight to battle with the B10 bigs.
He already said in his interview that thats a point of emphasis for him this off season......

Reactions: mstp1992
Klug Stumpey from Saskatchewan is a name to watch. A bulky 6'4" Post with a bad attitude, he makes Wisconsin's Davison look like a choir boy. This 345 lber rules the lane and allows no layups or dunks when he is in the game. Best attribute is as a screener. Biggest ? right now is fouling. He uses all 5 fouls in nearly every game he has played. Averages 12 minutes per contest. he is a tenacious rebounder and often his block outs send opponents flying. Only player I have seen who intentionally misses every free throw as he rebounds 50% of his misses. This physical behemoth is a grad transfer from D II Saskatoon Tech. Definitely someone you can build a program around. Don't worry that he cannot touch the net as he clears the lane with ease. His team was actually censured last season as he broke the ribs of three opposing players and sent one lad to the hospital when Stumpey gave him an elbow to the back on a layup attempt. A gregarious fellow, Klug loves to hunt and fish and has a great love for the outdoors.

Best post of 2021 so far. I nearly pissed myself laughing. I kept thinking of that movie "Goon" while reading this. A 345-pound 6'4 behemoth knocking people around like bowling pins and rebounding 50 percent of his free throw misses? Oh, shit, I'm going to start laughing again!

• Love
Reactions: hooper56
Best post of 2021 so far. I nearly pissed myself laughing. I kept thinking of that movie "Goon" while reading this. A 345-pound 6'4 behemoth knocking people around like bowling pins and rebounding 50 percent of his free throw misses? Oh, shit, I'm going to start laughing again!
Forgot to add that as a sophomore he was the only player in the Northern Mountie conference allowed to wear his wooden leg brace in the games. (Due to a shortage of players) Klug has a trick knee that sometimes goes out on him and needs additional support. The trainers had to wrap heavy padding around it but Stumpey still managed to throw the leg around as a weapon. Hasn't needed the brace for over a year now as he has strengthened the muscles around his knee. It did affect his ability to jump but he was still able to use the leg for tripping. His recruitment has come to a standstill it seems as Klug gets his academics in order. Rumor is that Bob Huggins has reached out.

• Haha
Reactions: Eternal Return

Steven Patrick?

Filip looks a legit 6'9" but definitely could be thicker. Bet he's lifting extensively now.

Had a friend down there pass Josh and said he looks much thinner. If nothing else we've got 15 fouls and we can hope the other guys don't have good foul shooters. Filip sounds passable or better. The team rises and falls with Joe T, Keegan, Patrick and maybe Jordan if he bombs reliably and Kris as a 1 player two position reserve that needs to impact the game when he's on the floor (and will do so). The centers just can't get us killed inside.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT